Bumping this to the top ... six members so far, let's see if we can't get into double figures. I hope you will join this Group and become a valuable and active member. Through this Group, we can help each other with suggestions, advice, support and information about this dreadful disease and how best we can manage treatments for our best friends. Click here to go straight to the User Group page: http://www.medhelp.org/groups/chronic_kidney_failure_in_dogs
I just found out today my dog's labs were elevated. Creatintine is 2.8 and Bun level is 77.
They started my love on Azodyl and a prescription k/d diet. Recheck in a month. ( Which will be next Tuesday July 22)
I am in shock as I just found out bringing her in for a senior check up and had blood drawn for a dental. Now vet is telling me right now a dental would be risky.
I hope I can help others and get support. I love my dog like my own child. It is breaking my heart.
She is 14 vet said her heart and basic exam was excellent for her age. She is spunky and eats well but I do see her sleep more. Which could be age related.
After getting the results they starting her on the Azodyl twice a day and a prescription diet. I am not crazy about the food but she eats it well. I do add safe vegetable and have made treats from the dog food baked in the oven. She shows no signs, she goes potty outside, she drinks, she eats, but the vet is concerned she is high risk for a dental which she needs badly. She is Shih Tzu and has had her teeth done every two years since about the age of 9.
I want her to have the dental but with the vet telling me it is risky I am torn. I am trying a holistic treatment for her teeth which is not helping. It works great on my younger dog who has pearly whites. But she needs a good cleaning and I fear I am between rock and hard place. Do I do the dental and risk her life or let it be? I know the bacteria from dental decay is not good for her either.
I am also interested in some home made cooking diets. I am sorry this is so long. I keep reading and still have so many questions. I will let everyone know if her levels do go down next week.
Hi. I would have to be completely honest and say, given her age and her kidney failure, and given that she has had (presumably) good dental care up to two years ago - I would forget about the dental work. It is true that according to some sources, bad dental hygiene is a major contributor to kidney failure. However, once a dog is in kidney failure, stress can be even more damaging. And that's without the high risk that anaesthetic will introduce. You are indeed torn between a rock and a hard place, I know, but right now I would concentrate on the highest priority - which is to keep her blood levels as close to normal as possible.
Others will hopefully add their opinions, comments and suggestions.
Thanks for replying. All feedback is helpful. I am bringing her next Tuesday for repeat lab work and hoping it has gone down. I will go from there. The last visit I had a new vet in office as my regular vet was on vacation.
I did request him for this visit. I feel more comfortable with him. I am leaning toward not doing the dental work. The vet did say she would be high risk.
If I can keep her happy, eating, playing, and doing what dogs do in life, I think that would be the best.
Does anyone have suggestions on diet to entice her more? She will eat the prescription diet but has her good and bad days. At 10 lbs the vet doesn't want her to lose more weight. I will bring that up at vet visit also.
Hi. I just read your discussion about having dental work done for your dog with kidney disease. I am going through similar issues except mine has developed a gum infection. He just finished his round of antibiotics but his lymph nodes are still swollen. Im afraid he might need teeth extractions because he seems very uncomfortable.
Through Adozyl and a low protein and phosphorous I have been able to keep his creatine and BUN normal (He's @ Stage 2 and 15 yo with a heart murmur)
The vet told me that it was risky. However, I feel that maybe I should go ahead and do it since it seems his quality of life has diminished. I want him to be comfortable more than anything...I am scared and torn.
I was wondering what your decision was. Did you have it done?
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.