Dogs Community
Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

If anyone wishes to join the Group (your input and participation will be appreciated) or anyone that has a dog with Chronic Kidney Failure and wants information, advice or support ... please click the following link: http://www.medhelp.org/groups/chronic_kidney_failure_in_dogs

Tony
Bumping this to the top ... six members so far, let's see if we can't get into double figures. I hope you will join this Group and become a valuable and active member. Through this Group, we can help each other with suggestions, advice, support and information about this dreadful disease and how best we can manage treatments for our best friends. Click here to go straight to the User Group page: http://www.medhelp.org/groups/chronic_kidney_failure_in_dogs
bump....!
bump ... !
Bump...!
I just found out today my dog's labs were  elevated. Creatintine is 2.8 and Bun level is 77.
They started my love on Azodyl and a prescription k/d diet. Recheck in a month. ( Which will be next Tuesday July 22)
I am in shock as I just found out bringing her in for a senior check up and had blood drawn for a dental. Now vet is telling me right now a dental would be risky.
I hope I can help others and get support. I love my dog like my own child. It is breaking my heart.

She is 14 vet said her heart and basic exam was excellent for her age. She is spunky and eats well but I do see her sleep more. Which could be age related.

After getting the results they starting her on the Azodyl twice a day and a prescription diet. I am not crazy about the food but she eats it well. I do add safe vegetable and have made treats from the dog food baked in the oven. She shows no signs, she goes potty outside, she drinks, she eats, but the vet is concerned she is high risk for a dental which she needs badly. She is Shih Tzu and  has had her teeth done every two years since about the age of 9.

I want her to have the dental but with the vet telling me it is risky I am torn. I am trying a holistic treatment for her teeth which is not helping. It works great on my younger dog who has pearly whites. But she needs a  good cleaning and I fear I am between rock and hard place. Do I do the dental and risk her life or let it be? I know the bacteria from dental decay is not good for her either.

I am also interested in some home made cooking diets. I am sorry this is so long. I keep reading and still have so many questions. I will let everyone know if her levels do go down next week.

Hi. I would have to be completely honest and say, given her age and her kidney failure, and given that she has had (presumably) good dental care up to two years ago - I would forget about the dental work. It is true that according to some sources, bad dental hygiene is a major contributor to kidney failure. However, once a dog is in kidney failure, stress can be even more damaging. And that's without the high risk that anaesthetic will introduce. You are indeed torn between a rock and a hard place, I know, but right now I would concentrate on the highest priority - which is to keep her blood levels as close to normal as possible.

Others will hopefully add their opinions, comments and suggestions.

Tony
Thanks for replying. All feedback is helpful. I am bringing her next Tuesday for repeat lab work and hoping it has gone down. I will go from there. The last visit I had a new vet in office as my regular vet was on vacation.
I did request him for this visit. I feel more comfortable with him. I am leaning toward not doing the dental work. The vet did say she would be high risk.
If I can keep her happy, eating, playing, and doing what dogs do in life, I think that would be the best.
Does anyone have suggestions on diet to entice her more? She will eat the prescription diet but has her good and bad days. At 10 lbs the vet doesn't want her to lose more weight. I will bring that up at vet visit also.
Hi again. Did you read my article on diet and kidney failure? If not, you can find it here:

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_Diet_Affects_Dogs_with_Chronic_Kidney_Disease

There are several ideas about diet ... and more will undoubtedly come from others that may have tried other variations.

Tony
Thanks I am reading it now.
Love56Dogs
Hi. I just read your discussion about having dental work done for your dog with kidney disease.  I am going through similar issues except mine has developed a gum infection. He just finished his round of antibiotics but his lymph nodes are still swollen. Im afraid he might need teeth extractions because he seems very uncomfortable.  
Through Adozyl and a low protein and phosphorous I have been able to keep his creatine and BUN normal (He's @ Stage 2 and 15 yo with a heart murmur)
The vet told me that it was risky. However, I feel that maybe I should go ahead and do it since it seems his quality of life has diminished. I want him to be comfortable more than anything...I am scared and torn.
I was wondering what your decision was. Did you have it done?
Bump!