Dogs Community
Chronic vomiting

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Chronic vomiting

My 15 month old English Bulldog has been vomiting for about 6 weeks now (daily, sometimes twice daily). If it is after a meal, then she throws up the entire meal. If it is not near a meal, then she throws up a large amount of bile colored drool. She eats only her recommended amount of Innova-Weight Control dog food twice daily (given to her in small amounts at a time) - No table food at all.  She has been taking half a tab (37.5mg) of Zantac twice daily (per vet instructions) without any relief of symptoms at all. Is there any other home remedies or food recomendations before I take her to the vet again? Thanks!
.
A possibility:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_megaesophagus.html
Thank you for the info but we have already ruled that out. Her vomiting/regurgitation is not associated with meals very often and x ray was normal
How long has she eaten this food? Has she had it for life? If not, please list foods in the past...Did she do the same thing while eating them? Was there a change of food (Six weeks ago) when this started? How about treats? Do you give any chews or cookies? Name them if you do, please....

Think back: ANy changes that you can think of 6 wks. ago?
Does she by any chance sound congested?
Does her Nose run?
Is she swallowing all the time? Or licking the air?

Let me know, Karla
My English bulldog has the same problem. He is 12 months old. For last 3 weeks he has vomited randomly every 2-3 days. It is usually at night in his cage or after a nap, and sometimes happens after his last meal was 8 or more hours ago, so one would think his stomach would be empty. He is peeing, pooping (never diarrhea or anything out of the norm), drinking, eating, and playing normally. No lethargy or seeming sick. Sometimes I hear him snort like he's sucking up mucus through his nose so I thought maybe a cold or allergy. The only thing I noticed that is different about his routine is we just moved to Florida from TN, and I've been giving him tap water. The water is the only variable here. Would it be an allergy to the water? Florida water does taste different to me... Another thing is I have another English bulldog same age who is drinking same water and eating same food and is fine. He's dewormed and has current vaccinations. What to do? Go to vet? Give bottled water?
This does seem to be kind of a 'bully thing' lol.  2 of my 4 bullies had this issue.  In one it was very mild and seemed to be mostly in the morning when his stomach was empty.  I had a pit bull with the same issue and giving pepcid 2x a day pretty much solved their issues.  The other bully was a rescue from a puppy mill and had a bunch of issues.  She would regurgitate at random throughout the day, and also had a tendency to regurgitate water right after drinking.  She was never diagnosed with true megaesophagus but she did have a very elongated soft palate which could have played into it.  She didn't seem to care and we finally just learned to rapidly pick up our feet whenever we heard her make 'the noise'.  

Changing diet/water etc didn't help her any, but it wouldn't hurt to try either.
Good luck to both of you, I wish I had more ideas!
Yes she has eaten this food for life, the only difference is at about 9 months old we switched her to the weight management type (same brand), but that was not 6 weeks ago. She eats 2 milkbone treats a day, has been since she was old enough for dry dog food. And yes she sounds congested sometimes but she's a Bully, she has always sounded congested. However, a week ago, I thought maybe the congestion could be a cause so I gave her half of a benadryl (12.5mg) and she threw up three times that night! So now I'm afraid of giving her antihistamines.
Yes this does seem like a Bully thing! lol. I am just taking her to the vet again tomorrow. I'm sure he will check for GI infection, but her poop is fine ( no diarrhea or constipation or mucus/blood in poop) so I don't know the chances of that being the cause. She also acts fine, she has never acted sick or anything. It's just so frustrating, she throws up every day and about every other morning I have to wash her bed and blanket because she threw up some time during the night too.
As long as you ate going to the Vet, take in a fresh stool sample even if one has already been done.
Was a blood panel done? If not, probably a good idea to get one done.

Ok, I have given this advice before and it has helped with these vomiting issues in a few dogs including my kid's dogs.  Might be worth a try.

There are a lot of good brand dog foods out there but you may want to give this a try for a few days to a week.

Get a small bag of Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive stomachs. Mix it half and half with what you feed now for 2-3 days then try switching over.  Feed at least two or three smaller meals a day.  Continue to give the Pepcid.  This may help and may be worth a try.
Keep us posted.
I have 2 year old female bully with the same problem.  We pretty much fixed it by giving her food more regularly. Once her stomach gets empty she vomits bile. Food 4 times a day in smaller amounts seemed to stop it. If we forget to feed her she throws up.  Hope this helps and will put your pups to ease!
Is it possible she could have developed a food allergy? Has the weather changed recently? When it gets colder out our dog has to eat more or throws up.
Milk bones are the worst thing you can give any dog, not just a bulldog.  Please read the attached.  I have two bulldogs and I bake my own dog biscuits, but will not give any biscuits to the Bulldog who regurgitates as yours does.  I was looking for an answer to his problem when I saw this blog.  We are taking him to the Vet tomorrow so I will keep you posted.

http://goodnessgracioustreats.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/where%E2%80%99s-the-beef/
the throwing up congestion is Very Common for English bull dogs... Unfortunately, if you cant afford to have his air passage opened up via surgery he will not get better.... :( We have had 2, and both had the same issues. yeast, coughing up white phlem  all the time. Its very sad, and difficult to manage. Its caused by allergies, and lack of activity. As you know, most of these guys are very docile. Typically cant walk for more than 15 minutes. Then takes a 2 hr nap... Eats like a horse, but throws up later.
We even tried putting a tennis ball in the food bowl. Didn't seem to help.
The poor breed has been modified for looks and not longevity.