Dogs Community
Congestive heart failure in dogs; when is it time to euthenize?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog has congestive heart failure.  I believe he is the final stage.  How do I know if he is in pain and if it is time to end his life humanely?
What does your vet say?  How is your dog acting?  Is there still joy when you walk in the room?  Does he still love his toys?  It is the hardest decision ever to be made, and very personal, but your dog is communicating with you and will let you know if life is too much of burden these days.  I'm so sorry.

Carol
Carol411's answer was a really good one.  I'm so sorry you have to go through this, it is so hard to decide.  Let us know how he is doing, give him lots of love, and try to stay calm in front of him, he doesn't need to get upset seeing you upset.
my dog is going threw the same thing, he is coughing allthe time but he still gets his toy and bring them to me , he wants to play but to short of breath, he gets happy when I come in the room, want to go with me if I go anywhere,but he is worn out he dont get much rest because he coughs all the time I love him and cant stand the though of puting him to sleep. I told my husband that he will have to do it.thank you for your support just seeing what you put on hear helps by for now
I can relate to what you are going through right now. My dog too, had CHF and I tried to put him on the meds (ace inhibitors, diuretics, anti-arrhythmics, inodilators) but he could not tolerate the meds and stopped eating. I then tried force feeding him because I had to get some food into his belly. I knew at that point that the time for putting him to sleep was getting very close. He was having difficulty breathing and when I noticed that his tongue was getting cyanotic, that is when I decided that I did not want my best friend to suffer anymore. It was the hardest and worst decision I had to make two days before my birthday but it had to be done. He was counting on me to take care of his well-being and that includes making the decision to put him to sleep so he does not suffer needlessly. I know you love your boy very much and this WILL be the hardest and most gut-wrenching thing you do, but do it when it is time so that he does not suffer unnecessarily. Watch for signs like the bluing of the tongue which means that he is oxygen-deprived. He should not linger in that state. My heart goes out to you because I have been where you are now. It will not be easy but you will do the right thing for your friend who cannot make the decision for himself. Be at peace with yourself and in knowing that you are alleviating the suffering of another being. You may need to go for grief counseling afterwards so that you can process all that has happened and receive some moral support. Take care.
Thank you so much. Your answer gave us some indication of what to look for.  Our little dog is no longer responding to medication and has stopped eating.  Our neighbor suggested apple sauce, which he take a bit.  He won't drink water unless I used my hand.  Our vet basically told us it was our decision.  We don't want him to suffer any longer and hopefully he will go in his sleep.  I looked the definition of cyanotic and will keep an eye for that.  Thank you!
To all that have the compassion to help your companions in the end of their winter of life. Always have your vet give a shot, like the one given before surgeries. They fall asleep, like for surgery so are unaware of the actual euthanasia..this should give you and your companion no fear. Its my Belief that the hardest part when the heart stops to fight any guilt while you cry.....because at that point your companion is free, running and healthy again and will greet you when its your winter. Also the state of the companion at the vets ...don't harp on that in your mind. Most of us hope for dignity the end of our winter, in my opinion our companions do too. Don't allow that memory to over take you repeatedly, your companion deserves his or her dignity. Remember that. Of you do both of your spirits will learn to flourish.
Just this morning I took my baby girl in.  She had been fighting for breath for the past week and coughing non-stop all through the night as her heart pressed against her trachea.  I had counted her breath at 60 per minute, she was trying so hard to stay for me. I finally knew that I was being selfish trying to hold on to her and that she deserved peace after being my ever present, faithful companion for the past 8 years.  I held her as the injection was administered by the
vet, looked into to her eyes and told her over and over how much I loved her. She passed peacefully in my arms, the hardest thing I have ever done. All of you who are struggling with this decision, think about whether you are doing it for yourself or whether you have the best interest of your loving companion. They give so much to us, when it gets hard, we have to be willing to give back to our loving family member.
While this string is over the last several years, it gives me some comfort to not feel as if I'm goimg through the experience alone. Thank you sincerely.  My English Bulldog, Bocelli (Bobo), was diagnosed with CHF in late May when he presented syncope episodes. The vet gave me his pager number for that weekend as he wasn't sure how things would go. I vowed then to be grateful for every moment he was with me. After all, he wasn't gone yet and I would have the rest of my life to mourn his loss. Luckily my vet is amazing and prescribed the usual cocktail of meds to manage his symptoms. For 4 months, he's been happy and most importantly, comfortable. We've adjusted a couple of the meds since, but otherwise he was doing really well with a very healthy appetite. Until tonight. Bobo didn't want to eat his raw diet or Vetmedin tabs, and hardly wanted the cream cheese ball (which hides the rest of the pills). He later vomited the meds, cream cheese and food that was hardly digested from breakfast. He got sick again, and has been restless overall. I am hoping it's a fluke, but my gut says otherwise. I loathe the decision I face very soon if his little body doesn't give out before he starts to suffer. As much as it pains me, I have given him permission to go when he needs to... Would prefer he goes peacefully in his sleep, but if he sees the sunrise tomorrow, we'll be in touch with the vet. I fear the vet will say what I don't want to hear, but may have to do.  Bobo has taught and given me so much in his ~9.5 years, giving him a quality life and dignity in death are the very least I can return to him.
Charlene, you seem to have had such success with extending the life of your Sammie.  I cannot get my Millie to eat at all. She is on sub cut drips 800 - 1000 mls daily. She was diagnosed two weeks ago with CKD and ate until three days ago.  She fell on salmon initially which we have plenty of in Tasmania, Australia but won't touch this now either.  I have tried tiny serves of organic chicken and potato but cannot get her to eat. Last night she had a little diahorrea and vomited yellow bile twice.

I had been getting Ipakitine into her sprinkled on food until now.  She has Zantac and homeopathic drops in her water to contol phosphorus levels.  I asked the vet to put Maxolin in her sub cut drip and he has also put Vit B in it for energy. BUT I cannot get her to eat.

She is sleepy but also going up and downstairs, walking in the garden. Very dull eyed. But aware. I have read this thread from its very beginning and have read some horror stories about how ill, black tongued, vomit seizures et al.  I do not want her to go through this but if she will not eat at all she will die.  Please help.

I read some amazing testimonials from Five Leaf Pharmacy in America. What do you guys think about its results?
I just lost my 14 yr old chihuaha to CHF 3 weeks ago,  At this point I feel guilty that I put him down, Snoopy was diagnosed with CHF 2 yrs ago The vet. Made it clear if I understood what I was doing just buying him time,, the day came when I noticed the meds weren't helping him anymkre,, excessive drinking water, breathing fast with open mouth, weight loss, and bluish tongue,  I drove my dog at midnight to the vet,,my son was doing CPR on Snoopy on our way,, it has been one of the hardest decisions I have made but I didn't want to see my dog suffer it was very difficult,, he had been with me 14 yrs and when I put him down he looked fine but his heart must have been working 100 times harder to stay alive,, I still hurt alot wondering if I did the right choice but after reading g the comments here I know I did,, it's just hard to let go but  Snoopy is finally resting:( love you and miss you so much Snoopy:(
Snoopy7730, I cannot believe your comment. Just yesterday, I also had to put my baby Chihuahua, Chico, to sleep. He was 15 years old but will always be my baby, my best friend, my loyal companion. He was with me my whole life since I was 8 years old. I am 23 now, and his loss is unreal. I am a complete train wreck. I haven't been able to leave my room or do anything since his loss. Yesterday I held him in my arms, and watched his last breath as I gently rocked him back and forth. I sat with him for hours even after he fell into the deep sleep. It's so hard to let our mascots go. I couldn't and still cannot imagine my life without him:( I don't understand how CHF can be so evil, sneaky, cruel, and unfair. Chico was perfectly fine (energetic, playful, great appetite, happy...) until 3 days ago when he began to show symptoms. Then over night things took a drastic turn and he almost fainted from being unable to breathe. I was at the animal hospital literally all weekend. I hate that he had to leave me this way, i'm miserable. The only thought that comforts me is knowing that he is an angel in doggie heaven :,,(( I'm looking back at fotos together of us and I just can't cope!!! I miss him so much :(
My 10 year old Gretchen chihuahua/dachshund mix died in the front seat of my car on the way to the vet yesterday.  Although I take comfort that I was with her, I'm riddled with guilt.   Less than 2 months ago I had to put Zena down, my 12.5 year old black lab due to cancer.  I had seen the signs of CHF in Gretchen but I wasn't sure as she's always had allergies/coughing and I suppose the more frequent occurrences of the coughing scared me and I was afraid I was going to lose her on the heels of losing Zena.   I didn't want to know...I just wanted her to get better on her own.  It's been 36 hours since Gretchen's passing and I'm having such a difficult time accepting my decisions.  Had I got her into the vet sooner,  would I be sitting here mourning her?  I think the outcome would have been the same as it seems like the meds only prolong the inevitable.  I don't know, but I'm devastated.
You did as you thought best, we all have after thoughts and doubts about our choices right or wrong. No one has the power to see the future and know which is the best choice,  
yes the Meds might have given you more time, but there are side effects, I am sitting here with my 14 yr old conner, he is now in early kidney failure due to the meds  for his CHF.  wondering if it is time to say goodbye.

Just remember Gretchen as she was in life and in health, she knew she was loved and cared for  She had you with her all the way.

My 14 year old chihuahua has heart failure at a scale of 4/5. She is coughing in the evenings. She has dental disease  leading to infection to her eyes. She is not eating very much and her weight drops way below average. The Vet said has to put her on heart med to stabilize her heart then might be able to remove her infected teeth. There is a possibility she might not survive during the operation. Her heart medication bill is a continuous treatment. The vet said we have to decide whether to put her to sleep.  It is very hard for us to watch her suffering. It is also very hear to put her to sleep when there is still a possibility she can recover. Can you give us some insights? Thank you.