Dogs Community
Constant bowel movements

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Constant bowel movements

We have had our dog (rescue) for approx 18months.  THe dog is great, yet still has bowel movements in the house (and the odd pee).  We have him on a regular feeding schedule, take him out and he goes!  He just goes again,and again,  

He is very thin (wippett, hound mix) and does not seem to gain weight.  He is healthy, and his bowel movements are solid.   We have him on Performatin puppy and if we try to change his food he gets diahhreah.  Needless to say, this is driving us crazy.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

ps
we have had him tested for parasites - none.  He also knows that he is not supposed to be going in the house.  I actually feel sorry for him.  Thanks!  MaryAnn
How much exercise is he getting?  You seem to have ruled out any obvious physical reasons, so it may be time to look at anxiety issues.  Ever heard, "A tired dog is a good dog?"  It's true.  Most dogs in this country don't get the exercise they really need, and some really bizarre behavior can manifest without it.  Dogs need exercise not just for physical health, but for mental health as well.

While we humans can be pretty content being lazy couch potatoes, dogs just aren't.  They are genetically wired to travel for miles each day in search of food, water, mates - everything they need in life.  The pack relies on its Leader to show them the way to the necessities of life.

Work with what nature intended.  If you're not already regularly walking your dog, start building your way up to 30 or 45 minute walks twice a day.  Hold off the food until you return to the house and the dog has cooled off.  You must assert yourself as the pack leader.  It's possible your dog is marking "his" territory in your home, or doing it out of anxiety.

The best solution is to hire a veterinary behaviorist for a few sessions to get you started on your way.  Can't hurt, might help - right?  :-)
Thank you for the advice!  He does not get walked enough - that will change.  Would you not feed him before the walk?  Thanks again, and I am going to find an AB.  Thanks!
MaryANn
You're welcome!  As for not feeding before walking, there are 2 reasons for that.  Like people, you run the risk of nausea and vomiting if eating shortly before exercising.  Also, back to working with Mother Nature - wolves, coyotes, and other feral canines all wake up in the morning, have stretch and a drink, and head out for maybe miles in search of breakfast.  By waiting to feed until you get back from a walk, you're working with the dog's natural and genetic tendencies.  Enjoy!  :-)
Thanks!  You have probablly saved our family from going insane :)  He was walked for 1hr last night and settled down for the night.  We are really going to work at this together.  Once again, thanks!
MaryAnn
Oh lovely!  I do love a happy ending.  :-)
Our 9yr. old German Shepard over the past few months has started to seem like she can not control her bowel movement, she once could go 12 hours at night without going and now she is pooping in the house everywere.  When we go for our 2 mile walk everyday she has to stop atleast 8 times.  Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesnt.  When she goes she usually eats it.  Her stool is very loose.  Have had her to the vet and they put her on 2 different antibiotics, but didnt help.  Can you help.  Tracie
We have an 8 mos +/- American Eskimo and 2 older long haired Germans, all rescued successfully...The question is for a normal, healthy dog, who gets a good amt of exercise, when is the best time for feeding, in correlation to bowel movements...I suppose because of the size/age difference, it might be different for the two breeds?  We are just trying to minimize the occasional accident that happens in the night, for the puppy particulary, knowing they are all house trained...Thanks so much!
Our Shorkie just turned a year old. He always does his business outside but for the last week he has been pooping in the house in the same 6x6 area. I found a tick embeeded into him and wonder if that has made him sick in some way? I also was off work for 3 months and was home with him but now I'm back to work for approx. 5 hrs a day. He has a regular potty schedule that has been pretty much the same since day 1 as a pup. Any help on this one?