Dogs Community
Could I have caused my puppy some brain damage?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

On Wednesday I accidentally dropped my 8 week Pomeranian puppy, baby, when i tried passing him to my dad. I'm guessing the height was about 4 feet. I quickly picked him up and held him tight as he yelped for about a minute. Then i noticed there was a dot of pee on my shirt. It was a tiiiiny little dot but it still concerned me that it happened. He was also a bit tired after.

Thursday he was fine but just liked being in my lap and not so much on the floor. He also got his shots early in the morning and was resting which i thought was normal after getting his shots.

Today he was also sleeping a lot. But then...
Until like 5pm was when he actually was up and awake but was acting extremely hyper and yappy. Like he couldn't concentrate on one thing. He would growl/bark at random things like my blanket and curtain. He would just jump and yap for and at everything.
He also doesn't like the floor anymore. If i put him down he stays in that spot just sitting, then he cries as if he's scared to move.

I want to know if i may have caused some brain damage. Like..
If i caused some mental retardation or anything??
Did you mention to the vet about him falling?Alot of times after there vaccines they can tend to want to sleep a little more for a day or two.He may have gotten a concusion,But i wouldnt think that it caused brain damage.As far as him wanting to be held and not put down on the floor the fall may have shook him up a little.I am sure that he will get back to his self after a little time has passed.He is at that age where they do growl and bark  alot at things And sometimes it  appears to be for no reason.My schnauzer is almost a year old and he still does that.If you are really worried about him and he seems to be getting worse then i would call your vet and see what they think you should do.I hope he feels better soon.Take care
Did you drop your puppy on his head? Yes, these symptoms could be from a head injury. Did he hit on his back? I wonder because he doesn't want to move when he's on the floor. It could be a back or hip injury, also. The crying is that he's hurting....And then, this could all be coincidental and he's having a serious reaction to his vaccines....Please, get this puppy to a Vet ASAP to get him checked out and let us know what you find out....Good luck, I hope it all turns out to be nothing, but you do need to find out as it could be very serious....
P.S. By any chance, was flea & tick meds. or shampoo put on your dog recently? This can also cause a neurological reaction....Again, get him help and please let us know.....
Baby landed on his side. Hes doing better today. By me saying he didn't want to move when he was put on the floor wasn't that he could, just that he preferred not to move and have me carry him.
Thanks for your response to my post though :)
I will surely get him checked out on our next visit to his vet.
How is Baby doing? I am sure that in a few more days he will start walking around more without wanting you to carry him around as much or he might get spoiled...Lol. Either way i am glad that everything turned out to be Ok. I was just wanting to see how he had been for the past few days.I bet he is a tiny little guy.I think that Poms are so cute.Well you two take care and keep me posted
hope your fur baby is lots better . i have a shih ztu and when she was 8 weeks old she fell of my kitchen counter and hit her head, she yelp to and help her head side ways for a few mins, i was so scared i rushed her to the vet and they checked her out. she was fine no damage.    but i can tell you it has scared her for life, shes now 2 and will not go up or down high places like stairs or jump off or on a bed or chair, she remembers the fall and hates high places.   they are so tiny at that age but very smart to remember that fall, he might get better about the floor, because he has to walk on it. i hope hes better now plz let us know.
One thing you don't want to do is reward the fearful behavior by carrying her around in your arms all the time.  She may be small, but she's a dog, and therefore needs to be able to move confidently under her own steam.  If you don't react to her fear, she will understand there IS nothing to fear.  On the other hand, if you give into it and pick her up and "baby" her, your actions will merely confirm that there really is something to fear.  It sounds like she's physically OK by now, so don't forget to work on her mental health too.
Poms are just VERY sensitive to pain! Mine is 13 wks and hes been stepped on a few times by accident of course and he screamed bloody murder! But after the intial shock and me telling him it was ok he got over it! Just remember they are small and sensitive so be very careful! If she seems ok now im sure she is my mom's pocket pom was dropped the same way as a baby and she was ok afterwards!
If you are worried about her i would take her to see the Vet just in case every1 seems to have good advice!!
my little boy just threw my 10 week old terrier off the couch he wimppered for a couple of mins now he is asleep should i bring him the vet he is due to go sat anyway
My 5 year old daughter was running through the yard last night with puppy and tripped. Puppy immediately starts yelping  and still occasionally yelping today. He's eating and going to the bathroom just fine but after laying in his crate for a short time just starts yelping again.
Should I be concerned