Dogs Community
Cushing's

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Cushing's

My dog was diagnosed with tumors on each of her adrenal glands.  She was negative for Cushing's in spring of 2006 but showed abnormal sex hormones.  Her symptoms are Cushing's-like....chronic skin inflammation, large belly, acromegaly, slow and tired.  I understand sometimes this type of disease can convert to classic Cushing's.  Since there is treatment for classic cushing's I am wondering  if/ or when I should again test her for classic Cushing's (ACTH -type).
-4 Comments Post a Comment
Has she been checked for underactive thyroid disease? What are they doing about the tumors? Yes I think that it's been long enough for her to be retested for cushings. Did they do a 24 hr urine collection to test her for it? The poor dog, I was tested for cushings over the winter-I don't have it but had many symptoms. I do have thyroid problems and Fibromyalgia. I don't know if dogs can get that though.
to my best friends im so happy now all my friends on here are so sweet to me
We have some dogs in our derm clinic that have this and depending on the clinical symptoms we treat accordingly. Tumors = surgery Some that have pigmentation issues and hair loss we treat with melatonin as a conservative choice. Dogs showing classic signs of cushings with a normal range acth but a positive sex hormone we still treat with the same drugs as cushings like trilostane etc. How come no removal of the tumors? What is the age of the dog? I would recommend a consult with either a veterinary internist or dermatologist. Try the website acvd (dot) org  if you are in the states to locate a derm in your regional area that your vet could call and consult with for you. Good Luck
Hi Mayzie,

I am currently dealing with a beautiful little dog that has been diagnosed with Cushings. She is 9 yo which is a prime age for the development of this disease.  She really wasn't showing many symptoms, but I usually have an annual senior screen done on her, which includes blood work that gives me an idea of the thyroid function, kidney and liver function along with her  cholesterol and blood sugar levels.  She had abnormalities in her liver enzymes, had increased cholesterol and blood sugar levels.  These abnormalities led the vet to believe that she may have Cushings Disease.  She was futher evaluated and indeed she was Cushionoid.  This disease if left untreated causes a ton of problems.  So far, I have been dealing with multiple urinary tract infections, skin infection, ear infections, vaginitis and the most recently and most deadly pancreatitis.  She was just released from the hospital today after three days of treatment of IV antibiotitcs and a multitude of other medications to try to resolve the pancreatitis.  Fortunatetly she is responding to treatment and we are hoping we are going to be able to bring this under control with medication.  It sounds like your dog has the symptoms of Cushings disease and if you can afford to take the dog to an internal medicine doctor for futher evaluation, you can probably get your answers and maybe have the proper treatment started.  It is a complex disease and it is necessary to determine if the cause is a pituitary tumor or an adrenal tumor. The tests that need to be performed is ACTH Stim to confirm the dx of Cushings and if positive an exogenous ACTH and Low dose dexamethasone supression to determine if the Cushings is Pituitary dependant or caused by the adrenal tumors.  Proper diagnosis and treatment are essential to prevent further complications from this disease.  I hope, through some of the experience I have had with this disease that I have been able to help you.  Let me know how everything is going  and I hope that you are able to get your answers.  My dog also has an adrenal tumor and as soon as the Cushings is under control, she will be going to surgery.  The statistics are that 50 percent of these adrenal tumors can be malignant.  Keep in touch.
Consider this supplement called DOGtor X for your dog if he or she has Cushings. My Mojo had all the signs of Cushings at 14yrs.  I did not want to put him on any harsh drugs.  I did some homework and found this alternative supplement and placed an order.  I did not put Mojo on it immediately as I was skeptical.  He progressively got worse and by Xmas 2011 we thought we may have to put him down.  He was coughing, panting, drinking and peeing excessively, hair fell out on this hind quarters and he could no longer climb stairs due to muscle weakness and joint issues.  Finally I gave him the supplement as a last alternative and to my delight, he improved immensely in the first month of use.  It has been about 9 months and he has been going for 2 walks a day.  He is much more active, Cushings symtoms (symptoms) subsided, his hair grew back and he even has a new brother to keep him company.  I encourage you to try it if your dog has any signs of health decline, it really helps.   During this he has also been receiving a SAM E supplement and Hepto Support for his liver The  MELATONIN has also helped immensely with his anxiety.  The fact of the matter is DOGtor X continues to give Mojo a better quality of life!  It is a NATURAL supplement used worldwide that can help many common dog ailments instead of using harsh pharmaceuticals and is also a fantastic preventative supplement to help maintain your dogs' health and well-being.  I was so impressed with his result.