Dogs Community
Cushings

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Cushings

My 11 year old bichon frise suffers severe allergies and ,few months ago was prescribed the drug Atopica which diminished the itching. A few weeks ago I noticed the increase of water intake and excesive urination I took him to his vet and after some tests he has been diagnosed with Cushings. I read some info that Atopica could cause Cushings in a dog if given for a long term,Is this true?  How is the prognosis? I asked the vet  and did not get clear answers. Please help, I'm devastated!
Hi, I am so sorry to read about your dogs diagnosis. Unfortunately, I am not able to answer your questions, however please check back....there are other forum members who may be able to help. It is the holidays, and many members are busy, so...
If you do not hear from anyone in a day or two, please repost the question, so it will appear closer to the top of the forum page.
You could also try to post this question, in the Ask a Veterinarian section of this forum.
I hope your Holidays will be Happy.
Connie

Hello Elena & welcome......Atopica (Cyclosporin) is used with great success for severe allergies...As with any drug, side effects can happen....In case you don't know, it is an Immune suppressant to stop the immune response.....

Human Patients are given this drug when they receive a transplant so the organ will be accepted...From what I know, side effects are alot like poisons..Such as: vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, wobbling, loss of balance, & seizures....I've never heard of it causing Cushings. Do you have the manufacturer's sheet in your medication box? Maybe it will tell you....

More than likely, your dog has probably been prescribed Steroids (Oral or Injections) for awhile....Most Vets will use them or overuse them for allergies. Atopica is usually used after everything else has failed....Overuse of steroids in allergic dogs is known to cause Cushings Disease......I suspect this is what has happened.....Please, correct me if I'm wrong.......

We have some lengthy threads on this forum about Cushings....You may want to do a search and read them...There will be info that will help you....
I have not dealt with this disease, but others here have......

If you ever want to talk about his allergies, I'd be interested......Any details about what treatments have been tried, what medications, bath products, FOOD & treat products you've tried, where and when he itches the worst, what part of body, what time of year, etc.  Ear infections, feet, any skin odors, lesions, scaling, sores?

I too am sorry about his diagnoses...I hope we can help you here.....Karla