Dogs Community
Death of my dog

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Death of my dog

Hi my dog Jessie a king charles spaniel about 7-8 years old was diagnosed with cancer about 7 mounths ago it had a growth on its mouth the lower gum and had also got growths on the side of her eye about four mounths ago and on her leg in the last month they said they could do little more than provide her with steroids. Anyway she lasted all that time without showing much change she was still very greedy, happy and adorable as always but over the last week or so she seemed to get a bit more wobbly on her legs but not excessivly so, but on the 2nd april when we got up she went outside and lay there for hours when she tried to get up she seemed too weak and when she did stand she was extremely uncoordinated and couldnt walk without stumbling over, her head was also bobbing as if she couldnt see properly and her eyes where shifting, she could see me though so i dont think she was blind, all that day she was like this and when it was night she wanted to go outside to relieve herself, she was such a good dog even in that state she wanted to go outside she then lay outside and wouldnt come in i knew that she didnt have much time left so i took her inside and placed her on her wee cousion in the kitchen she didnt seem to be in much pain as she was breathing well and was not moaning at all. Anyway this morning 3rd april i got up and found that she had died in the night i think sometime between 4-6:30 am her eyes where a tiny bit open and her toungue was just a touch out.
My question is what caused her to die like that to get so bad in only one day and what it means that her eyes where open a bit and her toungue also. She looked quite peaceful and i heard no yelping and she was in the same place does that mean she died without worry or discomfort and what could have caused it and whether she was in pain or just very tired and waiting for death, thank you this is hard for me to grasp as she was the tamest, friendlist dog you could ever have. Is it also true that dogs know when they are going to die and do they accept it due to instincts telling them that they have not long left. It would be apprieciated if i could gain your insight on this and please give hounest opinions as i have had other pets die and i would just like to understand this outcome.            
So so sorry about the loss of Jessie.  I have a question, besides steroids was Jessie on any other medicines?  I am asking cuz my dog had similar symptoms as you described and was acting similar as Jessie did before he died.
I am so very sorry you lost your Jessie, I know what it feels like.

Eyes open and tongue a little bit out is just one of those natural death-things. I don't thin it is anything to worry about.
7 months to live with a cancer (which probably was quite widespread) is a long time to a dog. Though it might not seem such a long time to us.
It really does sound as if your dear Jessie died quite peacefully, probably in her sleep. It was a blessing that she didn't appear to be feeling pain at the end. Cancer as we all know, can be excruciatingly painful. So that is just one thing to be grateful for.

I think sometimes when death is imminent, the animal will just lie down and rest, and will feel quite peaceful, and will withdraw from the world.