Diet for Cushing's Disease
10 year old Sam was diagnosed with Cushing's a few weeks ago through blood work.  He will get more blood work done in January to confirm the diagnosis and find a direction of treatment.  I ordered "Amazing Secretes to Increase Your Dog's Lifespan" by Michael Doyle.  There is a lot of good information in this book and many home cooked recipes for Cushing's dogs; however, I am not clear as to how and what vitamins, minerals and fatty acids to add.
If you have ANY suggestions for me to help keep Sam healthy and happy, I would love to hear from you.
Do date, he is not showing any signs of the disease.
Thank you.
Laura
My only suggestion I have is to not wait too long to start some type of treatment.  I have a 12 year old Shetland Sheepdog that was treated for another disease before finally being diagnosed with Cushings.  She had many symptoms by then, and I'm hoping she can recover from them and its not too late.  Good luck.
Thank you for your reply Linda and I'm sorry to hear about your Sheepdog.  Please tell me what treatment you are doing for your dog.  I don't know which way to turn until Sam's veterinarian give me a plan of action after the next blood test in January.  I would like to get ahead of this to help prevent symptoms.  That is why I'm thinking diet until I know more.
Thank you!
Laura
We started Mollie on Trilostane a week ago.  It has to be given daily for the rest of her life, and is a newer med.  My vet isn't very familiar with it, so its going to be a learning experience for both of us.  I can see some improvement in a weeks time, but she has a long way to go.  Does your dog have any definate symptoms?  Mollie had a eight hour low dose dexamethasone test that came back positive, but I was sure she had Cushings because she had every symptom that I had read about.  She had some of these for months, but they got bad really fast, and her back legs became paralyzed within a week.  She is starting to walk on her own again, but we still carry her outside.  What reason did your vet give for retesting?  If you learn anything about diet for Cushings, please let me know.
Hi Linda,

I'm glad to hear Mollie is improving and is walking again.  I certainly hope she continues to improve at a rapid pace.

Sam is not showing any symptoms unless some possible loss of muscle tone (he is 10 years old +/-).  I really want to get ahead of this disease if that is even possible.  I don't know the reason for additional testing but we will do whatever is necessary if only to speed up results and to gain additional information.  Our next veterinarian  appointment is scheduled for the 2nd week of January.  I am in the very beginning of this journey and need to know so much.

I will let you know if I learn anything helpful. Please keep me posted on Mollie's improvement.

Laura

Laura

I wish you and Mollie the best.  Keep me posted.
I have a mixed breed dog she has been my best friend for going on 18yrs  old I was told she might have Cushing disease  she has been drinking alot of water she eats all her food the only problem I am having ith her she is making peepee every where she can somtimes it's just a dribble then other times it's alot I sent for Cushex Drops someone told me to put a diaper on her.Can you give me any advice Thank You Marie
Has you dog been tested for Cushings?  We put a baby gate up so our dog could not get into carpeted rooms, made things a lot easier.
I have two Shetland Sheepdogs that are sisters. They are 11 1/2 now and one of them is borderline for Cushings and the other has had it now for about 1 1/2 years. She is on Trilostane and is doing quite well. I also started them on Dr.s Foster and Smith dog food for seniors mixed with Wellness for seniors, as well. They take daily vitamins "senior vites" ,,two a day, one with each meal. The dog that is on Trilostane was also taking Denosyl until now, because I can' t get her to take it any more. For a while I was also squeezing the contents of Omega Plus capsules into their food  but now they won't eat their food with that in it. Only one of the dogs will eat the chewables. I do give them very little pieces of hard -boiled eggs in their food just to entice them.
It works very well. The sister that doesn't have Cushings has a very sensitive stomach so I have to be extremely careful what I give her to eat. When they were puppies they ate lots of fruits and veggies but that is not an option any more either. Both of them have arthritis in their back ends. The Cushings dog has less.
I wasn't aware of the urination problem or the paralysis but that does explain my one dog licking herself quite a bit after urinating especially.
I have found a couple of puddles and I couldn't understand why this happened. Or who did it. What I think is arthritis could actually be signs of the Cushings' I am
guessing. My one dog, without Cushings , has her front leg turning inward with arthritis, or is it? I thought I was on top of this but I see I have more questions for my vet. We just finished with the blood work and it came back very good and no changes in meds.
I do believe the good diet and vitamins make a big difference too. Both of my dogs take Joint 3 for their joints and I think it makes a big difference in how they feel.
One more thing, my husband takes them for a one block walk ever morning
And they really look forward to it. I think this practice is keeping their joints more limber. Thank you for blogging with me here, You have opened my eyes about a couple of issues.