Dogs Community
Do pugs normally have to have c-sections to give birth?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My pug is pregnant and is due any day now.  The breeder I got her from says she has had no problems with her pugs giving birth...Now I read that pugs have problems and have to have c sections almost all the time...does anyone out there know if this is so....
thank you for your time....she is going to the vet tomorrow
Glad you discussed this with the Vet.  If she is near her due date, don't let her have free run of the house or yard and keep an eye on her.  Does she have a bed or area of her own?  You may want to throw down an old blanket or towel as some females like to *nest* before whelping.  Actually, I have a whelping box that I put layers of newspaper in and I always toss a towel inside for the ***** to nest/fuss with in between puppies.  The wet papers can just be pulled out between puppies.  I also keep handy extra terry cloth towels/wash cloths, should I need to help a puppy out.  I hope you will be around during the whelping.  If so, I use a plastic tub that I put a heating pad inside of with a towel on top of it and put the heating pad on *low*.  I also keep a light weight towel to put over the top of this.  When Mom is due to whelp another puppy, I put the one(s) born on the heating pad until the next one is out, cords cut and tied, breathing well and dried off.  
Good luck and keep us posted.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
I truly wish you had thought about and researched this before your dog was bred.  Breeding takes much thought, research, time and money.  Yes, this breed, due to the size and shape of the head, often need C-sections so there are Vet bills to consider.  She may be able to deliver on her own but, if I were you, I would take her into the Vet for a check up and possible ultrasound to see how many pups there are and he may be able to determine their size and give you an opinion as to the possibility of her having a natural birthing process.  I see you are taking her to the Vet?  Have a discussion with him/her as to what to watch for in the way of symptoms of distress and when you should call him.  Of course, if she whelps after clinic hours, I hope you have an ER clinic near you. Best to check that out also.  Do you know when she was bred? Average gestation is 63 days.  Do you know how to take a dog's temp?  We usually check temps at least twice a day at least a week before the due date.  The temperature will, in most cases, drop about 24  hours before whelping, say maybe 98-something to 99-something............  If you can catch that drop, you have a good idea that birthing is close. Do not leave her loose or unattended.  Have all your stuff ready for you and the dog.  Hopefully, she will be able to free whelp.  Good luck.
I was misinformed by the breeder when I got my female and have bread other types of dogs so I thought I would be ok.  Well took her to the vet and he seems to think she will do well.  She is a very healthy weight and he believes she may do ok.  He is available 24 hours a day and will come in if I need him to as he did for my tiny Tucker.(who is back to his old self)  thank you for the information you gave me.  It is nice to get others opinions.
I am still waiting for the big event to occur.  I work a good shift and am home 5days in a row work 2.  My oldest 21 year old daughter is on watch when I am gone.  We have been checking Tilly's temp as it appears she is very close.  Her nipple are enlarging and she is more and more uncomfortable.  I want to thank you for your information.  
Good luck, keep us posted.  Sometimes I miss not having puppies.
Still waiting on the puppies, should be soon.  arranged a back up vet as easter is coming and my vet may be gone.
Nothing yet? What date was she bred? Good thing you have a back up but hope all goes well.
I know this is late but I have unfortunate news: both the birthing pug and the owner of the pug have died in the birthing process. It is sad but you know what they say: live forever or die trying.