Dogs Community
Does not like dog food

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Does not like dog food

My dog cant eat dog food it makes her sick we have tried dried dog food but she wont eat it.  We have been giving her rice and mince and boiled chicken, but it getting expensive has any body got any suggestions, she healthy but im really starting to get worried about her.
Have you tried any of the Grain Free and Limited Ingredient kibble food, same must be available in canned form too.  

I have a Westie which is a breed with a lot of skin sensitivities/allergies and we have to be careful on what we feed him, for that reason.  He has no trouble keeping food down/digesting.

I could name a brand, but think it best not to advertise here, but I would be happy to send an private message if you would like to know.
Hi Kath & welcome....You say she's healthy, so what do you mean by sick? Are we talking vomiting & diarrhea?  What foods (Names) have you tried? List them , please.....We need more information....How old is your dog, what breed, any medical issues? She will eat fresh, good food, huh? Does it make her sick, too?

Let us know and we'll help you....Thanks, Karla
Could send the details of the brand please.
Kath
I think it fine for me to post what I now feed my dog, it isn't a general endorsement or advertisement, just what works, for now, here.

In brief summary, our Westie is far more "discriminating" about what he eats than any other dog I have had association with.  He also tires of any dog kibble I've given him in a week or two.  But, for now:
Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish kibble is being eaten every day for a month and he still eats his serving - he never gulps his food, but he does eat continuously on this diet.  I also add a splash of hot water (about 125 degrees from the tap) which is no more than warm in his stainless steel bowl when he gets to it.  He has lost many teeth, can eat dry food, but I think the hot water breaks the surface hardness and he likes that better.  On the occasions, not often, that he has regurgitated kibble, the shape of the kibble is clear, so he isn't chewing much - funny too becaue sometimes when eating he will look up at me with food in his mouth and chewing, it looks like he is smiling.  I think he is because he remembers have nearly starved to death just over a year ago.