Dogs Community
Does your dog demonstrate against his food?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I have posted here over the last few weeks about my experience with a middle-aged rescue Westie named Wilson..  

Here's a cute one, maybe a strange one.

In past posts I have discussed Wilson's rater discriminating tastes (rejects some foods most dog would do back flips for) and has turned against specific varieties of kibble after eating regularly for a week or two.

On food demonstration, Wilson will for long periods just eat his kibble, 1/4 cup in the morning, a 1/4 cut at noon and a half cup about 5 PM, all with a splash of hot water.   He has been eating a Natural Balance sweet potato and fish formula for about a month.  

When he decides he does not want to eat the kibble, he doesn't just walk away, no, he picks out a piece of kibble and carries it into the living room (from the kitchen) and leave is on the carpet.  Sometimes just one kibble sometimes as many as three.  This morning he also took a piece of kibble into the living room.  He is not eating breakfast - so the kibble is turning to mush in the dish and he will not eat that even (I am sure if her were hungry he would eat). If I don't see and immediately pick the kibble off the carpet I will later have to spot clean the carpet.

I consider this act of "demonstration" rather unusual, and I wonder if it is common in the Terrier breeds.
Sorry, kind if chuckling here.  :-)

I have had many dogs of various breeds carry food to another area, sometimes they eat it or leave it.  Truthfully, I think some of that behavior is just instinct. Watch pack animals in the wild eat.  They will often take what they can get and carry it off so they get their share, so to speak.  Other reasons?  Who knows?  LOL
Any reason you wet the food?  I used to add a little warm water to our Greyhounds food but very little.
Maybe you need to start a little retraining in the meal department.  Put the food down for 15 mins.  If the dog doesn't eat, pick it up until the next meal time and do the same.  After a couple of days of this, the dog will, hopefully, get the idea to eat when it is meal time.  I have yet to see a healthy dog starve itself.  Might be worth a try.  When I have had numerous dogs here, I always fed that way and they learned to eat or up went the food.
When I had a single Greyhound here, who was a picky eater, I just left his food down and let him free feed.  I have a singleton here now and let her free feed.  Both dogs sometimes ate twice a day and sometimes only once but they were/are healthy.  It was the a greyhound that would carry kibble to his bed, eat it then go back and eat from the bowl.
Good luck.  :-)
Thanks, maybe not so strange, but Wilson behaves much different in many way from other dogs i have owned of just taken care of.  The recent past and current crop include a large Golden Retriever, a Labradoodle (about 8 yo) and a goldendoodle (about 4 years old).  And our own Westie, Wilson.

Wilson demonstrates the behavior of taking a prize off to a remote area to have a private picnic.  This usually happens when he gets a big (compared to his rather dainty mouth and eating style) something. He likes to take it into the foyer where there is a heavy circular area rug - looks like he is having a picnic.  But he eats it and comes back for more.  When other dogs are present I have to separate them, more correct protect their food, from Wilson.  If he can horn in he will gobble,that is the only time I see him eating like he is trying to maximize his share.  

Wilson is missing several teeth so I put a little water on to give a slight softening - in the case of the Natural Balance the pieces have the shape of miniature pan cakes and I think they are relatively easy to break when eaten dry.  I just a few minutes ago put about 10 kibble pieces in his dish, no water to see if he will eat - so far he is not interested.  He can eat dry kibble.  The idea of letting him go without eating is worth a try and very easy if I leave the kibble dry.  Once I put water on it (he liked chicken broth even better than water, but I'm trying to isolate him from chicken in any form to see if he has any allergies to chicken.    But, this dog is capable of coming over and looking you right in the eyes and bark if he wants something, including special consideration for his food.
Ah, ok.  LOL!,

I think my money is on Wilson.  :-)