Dog: Labored Breathing and Coughing
Hello.  My Aime dog starting with a dry hacking cough one week ago.  We brought her to the Vet, and they did some tests.  She has an enlarged heart, leaky valve, and murmer....however, they said the tests show her heart is working well considering.  In the meantime they have put her on enalapril, terbutaline, and carprofen.  They performed a tracheal wash, and I am waiting for the results.  They are checking to see if this is related to her lungs.  

Aime continues to cough and has very labored breathing when she lies down, however, when she stands up she is fine.  She still has a good appetite, continues to drink, has good bowel movements, and has enough energy to jump into our bed and walk up and down stairs.

She had a couple of small episodes that looked like mini seizures, which occured both after she finished going to the bathroom outside, and then walked inside the house.  They last for 30 senconds, but then she was up and walking fine.

While I am waiting for the results of the Tracheal Wash (which is taking too long!)...do you have any advice.  I added a cool mist, and I am trying to make her comfortable.  I would like to try Hawthorne, which I heard can help with blood flow to the heart, but can I do that while she is on the above mentioned meds.

I feel helpless.

Thank You,
Donna
Try posting this to the "Ask A Vet" page - Dr. Cheng is a wonderful vet who uses both Western and Eastern medicine components.