Dogs Community
Dog Ate Stuffing from a Toy

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog Ate Stuffing from a Toy

How unsafe is the stuffing from the toy on a dog's digestive system?  My dog ate some of the stuffing from one of his toys, and now he's poop'ing it out, but some of it is still stuck in him.  Should I just let nature take its course and allow the stuffing to come out on its own during his bowel movements, or should I take him to the vet?
I would keep an eye on him for now. Make sure he is eating, drinking and having bowel movements. I used to give my dogs stuffed toys, but they would try to eat the stuffing. Now I don't give it to them. It was too much work to keep picking up the fluff before they consumed it. My dogs always passed it, but I was lucky. All it takes is a big hunk of it to get stuck and you have an emergency at the vet with costly surgery.
Thanks for the advice.  I am praying and hoping it'll all come out during his next bowel movement.  I can see bits of the fiber sticking out, but he won't let me pull it out or go near his rear end.  

I'm getting rid of his stuffed toys.  
Oh, you can see it?? I've had to pull things out too. Its pretty gross. Oscar, got into underwear when he was a puppy and it was hanging!! He made a weird noise when I pulled it. I did it as gentle as I could. If he lets you, maybe you could get it-if not it should come out with his next #2....poor guy!! I am surprised he hasn't gotten it himself. Dogs usually freak out when there are things in "limbo!!"
Yes, my boy is miserable cause it's in limbo.  Dogs don't like limbo.  Well, I guess we wouldn't either.  

He was doing his morning bowel movement outside, when he came running over to me and presented his rear end to me.  I knew he had a stuck poo.  So, I grabbed a baby wipe and pulled the poo out and noticed some of the fiber was stuck in the poo.  That's when I noticed he had more fiber in his butt hole.  I tried to pull it out, and it won't come out!  It's just fiber sticking out of his butt hole!  He won't even let me touch him anymore, but he's giving me this pitiful look.  I feel so helpless.

Wait, your dog ate underwear???  Poor thing!  I bet he was really miserable.  
Yeah it was pretty gross. We're lucky it passed. I saw him doing circles outside anf had to grab it. He made this weird yelp noise...it was so sad. Now all unmentionables are put away from him!! Hopefully your dog goes soon.....
Yea!!!!  Who would've thought that I would be sooo happy for my dog's bowel movement?  He went again, and it seems like everything came out.  I'm still going to keep an eye on him in case there are still remnants of the fiber in him.

I know what you mean by that weird yelp noise.  I've heard it before with my boy.  The most recent was this morning.  

Thanks for you assistance.  I was so worried!
I am happy to hear your dog finally went!!!
If there is a fiber hanging out that's not ready to pass, DON'T pull it! You could tear your puppy's bowels. I advise you cut the fiber shorter so there's no risk of it getting caught on anything and allow it to pass on it's own. I had a kitten that swallowed a piece of hair. This happened. I clipped the hanging strand so it didn't get pulled and it eventually passed in his poo.
i have to watch my dog,i bought him toy week later i seen this stuffing on the floor i picked it up check toy and behold hole were me dog had bitten,of course i have stopped him playing with  anykind of toy which as stuffing in it..he was going mad for couple days looking for it,i kept the  bag the toy came in and it said 100 per cent save,and funny enough i had bought it from my vets,when i phoned vets up  they just said chuck it in the bin toy that is,wasent good enough so i went down to the vets as i wanted  good explanation why this happened with the toy,she couldent giveme one  so asked for the top vet to have words  he said right  il take all toys of shelf as he did while i was there..god it could have killed my dog or anybodys else dog..you know i find it very hard to find a GOOD SAFE  toy for me dog...so beware  all...
Omg! I am going through the same thing now. My Liam tore the inside of his football and I guess he must of eaten the fiber because now it is stuck and he does not allow me to touch it. I am going crazy!!! I guess this is a little comforting.
NO NO NO!!! Never EVER pull on anything that is hanging out of your animals mouth or rectum. If it is not comping out on its own than there is a reason it is not coming out. The other end more than likely is caught or wrapped around his instestines or tissue, do NOT pull. You can easily cause internal bleeding and damage. Must take your animal to the vet!!!
Help!  I think my Shih Tzu ate some Christmas stuffing (fake snow) around 4 hours ago.  She started hacking the last 40 minutes and making a wheezing noise periodically.  I have been watching her closely and ensuring she is breathing all right.  Is there anything proactive I can do or wait and see for a bit?