Dog Died Suddenly with No Signs of Anything Particularly Wrong to Cause Death.
My family and I just lost our dog out of the blue around 6pm on August 22nd.

He was 8 years of age, approximately 80lbs, and showed no signs of being sick before he passed.

The night before he played like he always had and ate his dog food as usual. On the morning of his passing he was with me in my room most of the morning. He slept most of the time (which was normal for him) and I gave him crust from a sandwich I was eating. Before that my mother had put him outside before she went to work and he came in after a short time and ate some dog food then proceeded to my room. Around 1pm my father put him out and he urinated and came back in. My father saw him the whole time and he didn't do anything but his "business." My mother came home from work around 4pm. She cooked dinner approximately 30 minutes later and our dog was fine walking around the house observing everybody as he had always done. While my parents were eating in the living room around 5pm, my dog laid down on the floor as usual and went to sleep. This was a normal routine for him and nothing was out of the ordinary all day. After dinner around 5:30pm, I asked my mother to help me in my room.

We didn't notice anything wrong with our dog and stepped over him like we normally do when he's sleeping. There were no signs of death at the time.

We were in my room for 5 or 10 minutes. Mom left to go into the kitchen to get some water and noticed our dog was laying oddly with his back legs sprawled out like his front paws which was pretty unusual. My father looked at him and told my mother our dog was dead after noticing feces and vomit on the floor. My mother didn't believe it because our dog was absolutely fine all day and showed no symptoms/signs at any point. She thought my father was joking which was not a normal joke for him to say. He repeated our dog's passing after touching him. Our dog was still warm and felt life-like but he was limp with no breathing. My father believes it was a heart-attack.

The only thing we know was a week or less prior to his passing, our dog was having smelly gas which he's had many times before with no problems. He's had a benign tumor removed from between his toes on a front paw about a year or two years ago. The doctors told us we had nothing to worry about after that and our dog acted completely fine so we don't think that had anything to do with his passing. But the vomit was dark green with a long blade of grass in it but that's all we know.

It was so out of the blue and sudden that it's hit our family really hard because he wasn't just a family pet; he WAS family.

We just would like to know exactly what could of happened. Thank you.
my sweet jazzy was just the best of all ..she was everything to her brother and she was his life .. to us she was the most protective and caring loving dog one could have ...she ate well last thursday i wished her goodbye ..2hurs later she screamed and died ...i cant eat or be happy in anyway since.i keep thinking what didn't i see and why? she was a lab.
I just lost my beautiful 13.5 year old yellow lab this morning. We had lost track of heartworm medicine in recent months. I hope that wasn't the cause. I'm sorry for your loss. My wife let her out at about 7 AM and she was fine and I checked on her at 8 and she was gone. Her name was Summer. I loved her so much. What was your dog's name.
I suppose I too am writing because I stumbled upon this sight in trying to find answers as to why my 6 1/2 year old Yorkie passed away suddenly this morning.  Riley was truly my "princess".  This was a toy Yorkie that was wee-wee pad trained and would urinate on demand.  She hated to go on a leash and did not like for her paws to touch the pavement.  My children referred to her as, "an inside kitten". She was the sweetest little thing.  Anyway Riley had a normal evening consisting of a snack while I was preparing her bowls for the following day. Then I brought her upstairs to lay in bed with my husband and myself. She played with her toys, ran around, bothered our other dog and did everything that she normally does.  Than at about 11 pm my husband carried the 2 dogs down to their individual crates for the evening.  At 6 am my husband went downstairs to let them out of their crates and Riley was stiff.  Her eyes were open, she was laying in the same position that she would have slept in.  But she was gone.  No clues, no answers.  The Dr. said either cardiac or a blood clot. I am broken over this.
Today I have lost my sharpie . It was my best friend I'm too heartbroken to comment very much but she just went lie under the bed and never woke up.
Rip Chelsi you are gone but never forgotten

The house will never be the same xxxxxxxx
I so sorry for your loss.  My 6 years old cavalier king Charles spaniel died in exactly the same circumstances 2 days ago and my family and I are devastated. She was very small for her breed and had a seizure once about a year ago but had been in good health since then. We had just left the house to walk her, her tail wagging constantly as usual,  when she stopped in her tracks  for a second then fell on her side, legs twitching.  I picked her up and she was gone.. I feel bereft, she was so much more than a pet to us and I am terrified it could happen to my other dog (same breed ).
My10 years old leo, daysound breed dog died in 2-5 minutes 2 days ago on monday 03-11-2014 and that was very big shouk for my family and me. my leo is part of my family, not just a pet but more like a little brother. we love him alot like a small kid we spent more time with him and he also play with us regularly. his loss for us is too large we cant express our feelings by words........
I was hoping someone may be able to answer what happened to our 11 year old pit bull, Kitty.  She died suddenly this past Saturday, 11/15/14.  She was acting normal, and we were going to the mountains to camp for the night.  When we arrived, she got out of the truck and roamed as normal.  About 15 minutes later she started acting strange.  She wanted to get back into the truck.  We let her in the back, and she laid very still on the seat.  She immediately seemed lethargic and started having labored breathing, and lost control of any motor skills.  Her tongue just hung from her mouth.  It seemed almost as if she was stunned.  I watched her pupils take over her eyes, her breathing slowed, and she was gone within 20 minutes.  It is going to hurt for a long time.  I guess it would give us some peace to have an idea what happened to her.  There was nothing we could do to save her.
I too am looking for answers.  Our beloved 5 year old golden retriever passed suddenly on 11/29/14.  He was fit, healthy and Happy.  He gave unconditional love.  He was normal in the morning, went out for a few minutes, played, came in wagging his tail, i fed him, then played with him and brushed him a little, then he collapsed at my side, had a seizure, and was gone.  We are devasted.  The vet and I think it was probably a cardiac event that caused a massive stroke.  He was the thread that held our family together and our neighborhood.  Everyone loved him.  I am sorry for your loss and everyone else's.  My daughter told me don't be sad, Prince would want you to be happy.
I just lost my beloved mini Doxie Copper 9 1/2 year old.   The past week he seemed a little down, not much.  He always drank water expressively but now was drinking water normally, and going to the potty normal too. I noticed he vomited a few times once it was yellow.  He seemed a little sluggish but not a lot...he still wanted to eat and loved his cookies and play ball.  But he didn't seem himself...I took him to the vet on Friday 12/05 at 4:45pm the Vet said his heart was beating fast and we knew he had a heart murmur which had not progressed.  He felt his belly he said it can be 1 of 2 things..either he is constipated or it can be tumors since he felt a hardness around his stomach area.  He took him to the back and they took his temperature and weighted him and brought him back to me...he was breathing very heavily. He told he would take him to the back again to do blood work and to see if he was constipated...5 minutes later I heard him bark about 10 times it was a very thin bark and we lost him.  The vet suggested an autopsy since I was in total shock and could not control my emotions.  He did the autopsy and found he had tumors that were pretty much advanced. He said that it was best that it happened this way since he did not suffer.  But I still can't understand how it happened so sudden..I am devastated I can't seem to live without him he was my first pet and I love him so much.  He was my baby by pride and joy. I expected to have him at least another 5 years which is their life span.  I am so depressed.
I sent you a message.  There are no answers that I have found.  Sometimes  life *****.  I have a broken heart so I know how you feel.  I am so sorry.  Very sorry.
If the sense of loss and grieving becomes too much to cope with, Community help, friendship and support for those who grieve for a dog, cat, or any other creature they loved very much can be found here:

www.rainbowbridge.com
My scottish terrier, who was 7 years old, 8 months, 2 weeks, died suddently 12/29/14.  He was not ill, showed no signs of injury, no vomit, no bowel movement...he was found lying still on the grass in our backyard.  He was let out of the house to get some sun and to continue his barking at the UPS man who was ringing our doorbell.  Our daughter found him lying there with his eyes opened and mouth partially open. We just don't know what could have happened.  He goes to the vet, takes his monthly meds for ticks/fleas, eats regularly.  He was a great dog; had him as a puppy...very smart, energetic, special to us.  He is sorely missed!  I haven't been able to eat for 3 days now.  Today we had a UPS delivery and no barking; it hurts a lot but I know he is at a much better place.  I'm trying to focus on being thankful for the good times we had together and the time we had.  He did not suffer but went peacefully; his time was up.  :(
I truly do feel your pain. My husband and I lost our precious baby maltipoo on Christmas Day just before sitting down to dinner with our family. Everything was fine and normal, my husband was holding her and she was her usual alert loving self, but all of a sudden she went a bit limp in his arms; he took our outside and put her in the grass to pee and she couldn't get up and looked very disoriented. Our vet told us to take her to the emergency vet, but before we could get there, she died in my husband's arms. It's been heartbreaking for both of, especially my poor husband, who feels guilty and is extremely depressed about the loss of our little girl. She was only eight years old and we expected to have her company for a much longer time. Our vet theorized that suffered a severe allergic reaction to something, maybe a bug bite, but we don't know if that is really the case, as we don't have any idea how it could have happened as my husband was holding her when she first showed symptoms. We will never know.
It helps to share these stories with other who are going through what we are.
My comment also is that most pet lovers who have lost a beloved pet suddenly at a young age do NOT have the means to have an autopsy done on their dogs. It also seems to me that even if an autopsy is done, most of the time there's no good reason given for the death. So it occurs to me that there may be something else going on that DVM science has not discovered, probably because of the lack of post mortem examinations. Is it the food? Medicines given for fleas or heart worms or ticks? Treats (discounting Chinese-produced stuff, which just about everyone knows about)?
Is there any research that can prevent these tragic untimely deaths of our babies?
This sudden death is all so horrible for us humans.  At least our beloved pets didn't suffer much.  My fiance' and I just lost our 8 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback pup this past Monday evening, and we are devastated.  Her death was like a lightning strike out of the blue.  She was a beautiful, happy and apparently healthy pup.  Before we knew what was happening, she was gone.  The vet suggested undiagnosed heart failure, but her puppy check ups had all passed fine.  He said the necropsy would cost us "almost as much as the pup purchase price", which was $1800 in our case, so we declined.  It wouldn't bring our Bella back, and we can't go further in debt for something like this.  My fiance' and I almost feel the little girl had a stroke or aneurysm since she went almost instantly and her heart had checked good.  While this is not supposed to happen, it does... take nothing for granted, and take lots of pictures!
This must be a common occurrence and common for people to look up the sudden death of their dog from feelings of guilt like me.  Our Border Collie Maddie died suddenly today at exactly 4pm Central time.  She was eating, drinking water and enjoying treats like always.  She had laid down below our TV as usual to take her after dinner nap.  My husband was 4 feet away from her and I was cooking when I heard a weird whimper like she does when she is dreaming heavy.  Except this whiney whistling whimper sounded different and high pitched than the dreaming type.  I ran into the den to see what was happening and my husband asked me if the dog was dying!!!  I yelled her name loudly over and over, Maddie!  Maddie! and she never lifted her head made another sound.  She took two gasping death breaths and was gone. She never acted sick other than licking a lot for the last 4 days like she had maybe a urinary infection.  I checked to see why she was licking so much and noticed that she was doing it due to urine leakage so we were heading to the vet on Monday.  We have had her for 10 years and we are not sure if she was 3 or 7 when we rescued her from a kill shelter in 2005 so she was old and was diagnosed with heartworms when we got her.  Even though she was getting old it is none less shocking and heartbreaking when your dog suddenly dies like this when they are otherwise acting "normal".  We had to put her in the deep freezer until we can get to the animal crematory on Monday.  She dies 2 hours after they closed today.  We live in the Texas Hill Country and cannot dig a hole to bury her in.  We have limestone rock in every spot we tried to start digging. It has been a really bad day, my lovely cousin Donna also died this morning, we were dealing with those feelings and then our dog died.  A very, very odd day.  Maybe my cousin needed a pup in heaven!
Dear backwoods rocker, I am so very sorry for your loss.  We lost our precious girl suddenly in 3/2014.  I immediately called the vet as I was afraid she had been poisoned as she died in the backyard.  The vet thought a sudden death in our 8 year old might be hemangiosarcoma of the spleen or heart.  Necroscopy found it was exactly that in her heart.  This was a cancer of the blood vessels, and nothing could have been done.  Sudden loss is so very hard.  (((HUGS)))
I am very sorry about what happened with your girl. My Misty passed away from Hemangiosarcoma too. In her case we did get some warning. But it is true that sometimes Hemangiosarcoma can take them very suddenly indeed, and can often be the cause of many inexplicable deaths.
With this cancer they sometimes show no signs of being ill before total collapse.
To backwoodsrocker and all that have lost their family members. I am sorry for your loss and I join you in the rollercoaster that follows. We just lost Jack, our 7.5 year old cocker/retriever mix. We adopted him at the 1.5 year old mark. He was beautiful, intelligent, and the most loving dog I have ever met. He would lay on my cloths and warm them for me before I dressed in the morning. Always there, patient, gentle, and loving. He was ready to go for a run, play catch, or just cuddle anytime. Sometimes I would be working in the garage and he would just lay his head on his paws and watch me like a human, trying to learn what I was doing, for hours! I feel guilty for not playing with him more. He was so smart! He learned to drop the ball at the top of the driveway and let it roll down and catch it at the bottom. We didn't take him to the vet for the last few years, but always appeared healthy, and he ate Taste of the Wild dog food as long as we have had him.

Sunday morning my wife was playing with him in the yard and he and the cat were running around. Later on around 1 pm she left for work and said he seemed happy and normal. Then, around 830 pm I got home and found him on his side, just inside the door. He was barely warm and stiff already. The only sign was a pool of mostly clear fluid around his head and some blood in the middle. I have talked to two vet doctors that both said it sounds like heart failure, most likely from a blood clot. I guess the fluid drained out of his nose. They assured me it was sudden which brings some relief. I still feel guilty for not playing with him more, taking him in for checkups and for being gone while he was in his final moments. I feel for the rest of you and your family members that have passed on. He may have been a dog but on April 19th 2015 I lost my son.
I too am lost , My darling lily (tenterfield  terrier) died so suddenly yesterday on Mothers Day fine in the morning , came onto the bed for morning cuddle then treat , parked herself on a dog bed inside the house next to a sunny window (9 degrees) so warm in sun. I wen to visit my mother on my return not even two hours later she was lying on my bedroom floor unconscious two spasms then she was gone. It's such a heartbreaking thing it's a blessing that it seemed quick but sadly we can never accept it at the time , I can't even imagine life without our precious gentle happy little girl ... Vet said probably clot or heart failure but when they're so healthy in the morning then gone it's so hard to believe everything just feels so surreal . RIP our darling
I hear you , I feel so guilty not being there when my girl passed , only gone couple of hours to find her on my bedroom floor on my return , the loss is leaving a terrible void ,I just can't believe my girl is gone although she was 11 I just assumed she had few good years left as she was so playful n seemed so healthy. I have come home from work twice to no beautiful greeting and can't imagine how long it takes to feel even slightly normal without my best friend. Condolences to you both. I just pray there is some kind of doggy heaven :-(
I lost my dog Nibbles today at 4am. I got home around 2 and he came upstairs and saw me and my mom woke up and came and watched tv with me. He sat with us and was licking my face and being normal and then he got his ball and wanted to go outside as usual. He laid down by my moms feet and fell asleep. I kept telling her a story and I noticed that he began to urinate in his sleep and I have never seen him do that before so I tried to wake him up, but he didn't wake and he wasnt breathing. He tried to gasp for air one or two last times in my arms and he passed. He was 12 years old and my best friend. Last week when my dad was walking him he said that he fell over when he was walking but got right back up. I think he may have had an aneurysm. RIP my boy nibs
I am so happy I found this support group!  I, too was looking for answers.  My 10 year old female Maltese was happy and playing.  I took her to the groomer for just a haircut, as I had bathed her earlier at home.  She was only there for an hour.  She came home around 2 in the afternoon and at 8:00 she just collapsed!  No warning signs, no prior history.  She had been to the vet 2 weeks ago for her annual physical and everything looked really good according to the vet.  We rushed her to the emergency vet , but she died .  They theorize it might have been an underlying heart condition.  She had an EKG less than a year ago before surgery to repair a broken leg.
I am heartsick....just lost my 6 yr. old golden doodle yesterday.  I cannot accept how she just dropped and died.  She was healthy, active, played ball with my husband a few times a day.  She was barking at the window looking at a dog that passed our way everyday.  She barked a few times, dropped to the wood window sill and was gone......My husband and I can barely make it thru the day
My dog pass way year day At 7:45 pm last nite she 8 year old a loving King Charles Spaniel her name was Tammy we dot how  she  died my wife was up because she set on my wife feet at the time she phone me up saying we have lost Tammy I ask what you meet we lost Tammy she crying over the phone Tammy have just died I side what you been she died we have got a over King Charles spaniel call  call call shandy  He his miss her too and can not understand where Tammy have gone do know anything we can do for shandy  please let me know  From Andy Kitching
I am grateful i found this group same like all of you i was looking for answers as i lost my girl a beautiful maltese 10years old ,  she was my first girl and i loved her deeply .
In our case it was like faith irony , my husband was with her at the vet because she had a heart condition but not so severe and it turned to be, every 2 weeks we were going to take the medicine , while he was waiting with her to be called by the doctor she cough a little bit but this was very common so he took her in his arms and the next second she was gone, the doctor gave her cpr and injection in the heart to resusctitate her but all was in vain ...all this in front of my husband eyes ,
For many of you who think that if they got to the vet in time maybe there was a chance but look how life is even in front of the doctor the life is so fragile and sometimes nothing can't be done.
I have no words to discribe the pain but we will fight for the other 2 boys we have .
I hope she is in  happy place and sometimes sees us.
Last night I came home to find my beautiful purebred american bulldog had passed away suddenly. She was only 5 years old and happy and energetic as usual 5 hours prior when we fed her. She had poo'd but not vomited. She had only just had $400 worth of blood tests days before because she had lost a bit of weight, all of which came back fine so we were just going to up her diet. I have no idea what happened but this site has helped me cope. I can't help but blame myself and regret not being there when she passed. She was the most beautiful dog and more like a child and a best friend to me. I feel guttered and lost. Millie is currently getting an autopsy to hopefully bring me some peace of mind. Thinking of you all xx
I have no answers for you,I hope the vet can find some
answers to ease your mind so you get closure on how,
why your Millie left so soon.
Our beloved fur babies become such a huge part of our
lives the minute they walk into our hearts,it sounds like
she was very loved and cherished. I am so very sorry.
Jan
First off I read this and your other posts and really connected to the exact why you are feeling. I notice this was a long time ago, I hope you have been able to move on and enjoy life again.
I just had a similar thing happen to my 4 1/2 year old Yogi I am devastated and feel all the emotions you mentioned. He died out of nowhere and was gone within 1 minute of collapsing. He was perfectly healthy and happy when he passed. Just barking at the door bell. I was home alone and grabbed him he whimpered and died a minute later. He was so sweet and kind and helped me through all my hard times and was always with me. I worked from home and so he was by my side 24/7. We moved all over the country together and he knew and saw so many sacred things to me. We were closer than anyone I ever knew. I miss him so much it hurts. I too see him around every corner but can't believe he isn't actually there. It is really hard to believe he will never be here again. I don't know why this happened. It is so hard. My whole routine and identity as a dog owner as been ripped away....Thank you for sharing your story it helps with a small amount of comfort.
I'm so sorry for everyone who has added to this list.  Our beautiful, funny, and mischievous Rufus, a 9 year 3 month old, Wheaten, died after displaying symptoms for only 2 and 1/2 hours on September 25th, 2015, Friday morning at about 1:10 am.  It all started about 10:30 in the evening.  

Thursday was a very normal day.  I'm retired and my partner went to work.  Our two dogs as usual barked when he left the house because it appears that they did not like any of the family to leave.  This is a regular routine.  We also have a mini Schnoodle, Franky who is also the love of our lives.  I always told people that they were brothers although they obviously were not.  They acted like they were.  Rufus was the big brother and Frank did everything his bigger brother did.

The day proceeded.  They both followed all regular routines, did their business in the back yard, ate breakfast, went for their walk, slept and played.  They ate supper around 5 p.m.  Rufus as usual asked for more by pawing the cupboard where we keep the food.  We never denied him that because he was very persistent until he got his way.  There was absolutely no sign of anything wrong.  About 5:30 I always say, "Go watch for Tony." because he's usually home around that time.  They both ran to the window and within 2 minutes the barking began and Tony was home.  Rufus ran upstairs to hide and waited to be called down.  This was a game he made up.  Everything was normal.

I went to bed around 10.  At 10:30 Tony called up and said something was wrong with Rufus.  He was panting and did not want to walk up the stairs to the bedroom.  I called and he struggled up.  We settled in and I rolled over and went back to sleep for a while.  I heard him panting heavily, listened a bit, went over and picked him off the floor and put him on the bed beside me and cuddled him.  His  breathing got a bit easier.  I got up to read about heavy panting in dogs on the net while  Tony cuddled him.  We discussed taking him to the vet but it was about 1:00 by that point so I got back into bed.  Shortly after that he sat up, jumped off the bed, could not walk, dragged himself the to foot of the bed, emptied his bladder and took his last breath.  He died right in front of us.

We took his body to our regular vet in the morning who said it was likely a heart related event because it happened so quickly.

Tony and I are both heart-broken.  What else can I say except that it will take time to get over this and I feel sorry for everyone's loss who had added to this string.  There are no answers.

Peter in Toronto

I also just lost my sweet, sweet girl, my Honey Bunny.  She had a bacterial infection that she got from my foster dog (who had whipworms).  They were both being treated, but Honey was still lethargic and not herself.  I had called the vet and asked to bring her in on Friday, but he said to give the meds over the weekend to work and if she still wasn't herself by Monday, he'd see her in the morning.  Saturday night (really early Sunday morning), she just collapsed and died.  I did do a necropsy and the doctor just called me this afternoon.  It seems she had Adisons disease.  I had never heard of it and I don't know why she wasn't diagnosed although the doctor tried to tell me that my vet would have had difficulty diagnosing it with the bacterial infection.  Either way, I'm devastated.  If I wouldn't have fostered the other dog, Honey would not have had the bacterial infection and the Adisions would have been caught (it is a disease they can live with along with medicine) or I'm pissed at my vet because he didn't catch this.  Life really ***** right now.
Don't beat yourself up.  I know how difficult it is with all the "What ifs? and If I had or hadn't done this".  I believe it is a very normal part of the experience of caring that much.  It is just over one week now for me and I'm still terribly sad.   I'll never be able to forget Rufus.  He was my first dog and I'm 67 years old.  I'm wondering if I should get another to keep Franky and Oli company and join our family.  What saddens me too is that our cat, Oli has been sleeping in Rufus' bed.  I believe it's her way of saying goodbye.  Franky, our Schnoodle, at times just lies there, eyes opened, very quietly and stares off into space with a very sad look in his eyes.  I know they are both sharing in this experience.  

Life really does suck right now but there is no way of backtracking to undo what has been done.  Also, just feel what you have to and accept it.  I believe that is part of the grieving process.  I've had many other losses, people and other pets, and eventually the depth of the bad feelings lessen.  

I'm very sorry for your loss also.

Peter in Toronto
I just lost my beautiful giant Chihuahua, Flash this Monday.  He was just 7 years old. We also have a giant chihuahua, Peanut, who is 10.  The reason I call them giant is because they are the size of a little beagle, and about 22 pounds each of muscle, not fat. At least, Flash was all muscle!  Every morning it was the same routine, I would get up around 4:30 AM and let Peanut out in the pen to pee.  Flash didn't always get up then; he liked his sleep.  Then Peanut would get a cookie and lay down in the kitchen, while I went back to bed for 1/2 hour more of sleep.  That was Flash's time to snuggle under the covers, and rub his head in my hair!  I got up and put the coffee on, fed and walked them both, and went to work at 7:15.  i would normally leave the dog run door open, but it was only 45 degrees out and I thought it was too cold for them.  They had the run of the house.  When I got home at about 1:45, I heard no barks from the house.  I opened the kitchen door and Flash was lying on the floor like he was asleep.  He didn't move when I called him.  Peanut ran in the hallway.  i started screaming, and my son ran in the room.  He had just gotten home from school. (I am so glad that he didn't find him first, it was his puppy.)  I dropped to the floor and tried to shake him, but he was cool to the touch already, and his legs were getting stiff.  When I picked him up, I noticed he was damp underneath where he was laying on the tile.  I thought that it was sweat (forgetting that dogs don't sweat like we do), but realized later that he must have urinated on himself, even though it didn't smell.  We grabbed both dogs and rushed to the vet, but she said he was definitely gone. She said that it was probably a heart attack or stroke, but we had gotten his teeth cleaned a few times and his heart seemed fine on their charts. I asked about an autopsy, but it was $1700.00, and my son said it wouldn't bring Flash back.  It is just killing me because I don't know what happened.  He threw up a little Saturday, but ate, pooped and etc. fine. He had a sensitive stomach,, so we fed him and Peanut prescription dog food. He was also very high strung;  I always called him my "typical Chihuahua" because he was a bundle of energy, and he never wanted to sit still until it was time for bed.  Then he would sit in front of you and stare, until you went to bed with him and Peanut.

I wish he wasn't alone when he died, he hated being without people.  I worry about Peanut being truly alone now that Flash is gone,.  All I want to do is hug and hold Flash again, and give him kisses on his head.
This morning I took Peanut out for a ride in the car just to get out.  He has been looking for Flash for 2 days now.  He has started to sleep on Flash's bed.  I don't want to leave him alone, he is so sad.  I can't stop crying either.  I have been kicking myself wondering if it was something I could have done OR if it was something that i had done.

Lynda, I too wonder if it is something I could have done.  I took bot dogs to the vet at least 2x a year.  Flash had allergies and I sometimes gave him benadry when he was itchy or sneezing.  . I gave him one Saturday or Sunday night, i can't remember which, it is all a blur.  What if i gave him an ibuprofen by mistake?  They both look the same, but one is orange and one is pink, and I took both that night b/c I had a headache. Would one tablet have killed him? i can't believe I am even thinking these crazy things.  Then I thought well, maybe he choked on something or ate something outside that poisoned him, but I know that is unlikely.  the vet said he didn't look like a dog that had been poisoned. He had no blood or vomit around his mouth.  His tongue was between his teeth but he hadn't  bitten it.  Even his eyes were a little opened, just like they were when he slept. He looked so peaceful and calm, it is hard to believe he is gone.

Peter, you may have to think about a new dog for Franky.  I know that I will too, so Peanut will not be so lonely.
I miss the howl that Flash gave every time the phone rang, and Peanut's barking at him for it!  Now he is just laying on the dog bed.

I am so sorry for all of your losses.  Thank you for liste.ning to me. I feel like I lost a child.  I know because I have had many losses in the family these past 2 years I don't know what to do.
Theresa in New York

Theresa in New York
Hi Theresa, I'm sorry for your loss and have difficulty in responding since it all is too raw for me.  Franky is still very quiet but at times shows more energy than before. I spend as much time with him as possible and take him with me in the car whenever possible.  

We are thinking of a new companion for all of us, perhaps another Wheaten.  Rufus was special to all of us.  He was his own personality, a bit domineering but that's what made him loveable.  We'll pursue this in the spring of 16 but won't right now because of other commitments.  Take heart and I hope things become easier for you and Lynda too.  

PeterinToronto
My dog, Gill, died suddenly also.  He was fine and had been to the vet a few weeks earlier. I went for a walk with him earlier in the morning. I sat down with him at noon and fell asleep. I have never taken a nap in my life.  I woke up around 3:00 PM and Gill was not beside me.  I called him and he didn't come to me. I looked around and he looked like he was sleeping on the floor.  I went over and petted him.  His eyes were open and looking back at me like he does most of the time.  I felt his nose and it was cool and moist, but he was not breathing.  I turned him over to do CPR.  He had a huge amount of clear fluid coming out of his mouth, but no dark or blood fluid.  Gill was a blue merle Australian Shepherd and had blue eyes, so I could see his pupils easily.  He was gone.  I am devastated without him.  He was my best friend and my family.  Gill was my proof that there is unconditional love.  I will miss him for the rest of my life.  I had a dream a few days ago though that was very calming.  I dreamed that I was walking and came to the end of a road.  There was a man there with so many dogs of all kinds and all sizes.  I asked where? He said, "This is Heaven."  I said, "I am looking for a dog named Gill."  The man told me that Gill was still working and was watching over me as usual.  He said that I would need him to be there for some future
event-watching from up high.  He said some people aren't people and some dogs aren't dogs.  Some are  angles unaware. Gill is your angel and he still has work to do, but he will be here when he is finished  with his job..
Hi. First of all I would like to say how sorry I am for your loss. I truly understand what you are going through, as my black lab Molly died 6 weeks ago! She was my first dog & I miss her so much. She went with me everywhere, when I went for a shower she would follow me in the bathroom and lay down and wait for me, she loved being in the car with me & she would get so excited when we went for our daily walk. I now feel like a big part of me is missing. We still have 2 much younger labs but molly was my first dog , although I adore the 2 boys  things will never be the same without her &  I mostly keep it to myself  but I am struggling to come to terms with the loss. everyday is a constant reminder of how things were.
I also have the guilt of deciding  to have to put  her to sleep even though we know we did the right thing for her, its the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I do take some comfort knowing Im in the same position as many other pet lovers & I know you good people will also understand how horrible it is.....
My friends dog died at 12:20am yesterday.   Right after the New Year began.  

Was coming in from peeing.   Fell at the door.  A bit of poop.   Couldn't move his back end.    We got him inside on the couch.    He cried a little, whined a little.   Straining for something.  Breathed hard a bit.  Pooping, no vomiting.   His body was so tensed, I thought he seemed in pain.   Within 5 minutes he was dead.    

Massive stroke or heart attack?   I'm off to find more answers.  
I found you guys through a search for answers.   Sorry we are all here, but glad I'm not alone.  
I am so sorry to hear your friend lost their dog. That was a very sad start to the New Year.
When you say he was "straining for something", and "His body was so tensed"...was he very very stiff, with his neck and head arched backwards?
If so, that could be a sign of Strychnine poisoning. In some places, Strychnine -so I have heard -is still used in poisons for some pests such as moles. I thought it had been outlawed years ago as it is such a terrible poison to use.

(P.S. I am sorry if this posts twice. I can not get used to the new format on the forum.)
My beautiful boy, Joey, died Sunday, Dec. 27.  He was 8 and a half, and I thought he would be around for several more years.  He was fine one day and gone the next.  For a couple of nights, he had been chewing on some Christmas tree ornaments.  Must have been bored during the night!  I didn't think too much of it, because he would usually chew stuff and spit it out.  The morning started with him not eating, not even his treat, which was very unusual.  He just drank water, and as the day went on, got more lethargic.  When we got home in the evening after a family Christmas dinner, I noticed dark streaks of blood on the rug, and quite a mess under his tail. I knew then we had to rush him in.  His back legs buckled as he tried to pull himself along.  The vet said either he had internal bleeding caused by eating rat poison, or some other auto-immune illness that would come on quickly.  My feeling is he must have eaten the ornaments, which cut him on his insides;  He was my first dog ever, a Maltese mix, white with big brown eyes, my companion.  He was always there beside me, and happy to see me come home.  It was absolutely horrible allowing the euthanasia, but I didn't want him to suffer.  The vet said he wouldn't have survived the night.  The next day I thought I would collapse when grocery shopping, I miss him so much!  I had no idea this would be such a heart-wrenching experience to say good-bye to a beloved pet, and so fast.  What I would give for just another day with him!!
This morning I lost my baby girl doggie, Dixie.  She's one of three we have; a black lab/golden retriever mix, copper colored and short hair like a regular lab.  Very beautiful and so sweet.  
Last night we went out for pizza, not gone very long.  She was her usual self, happy to see us when we got home, wagging tail and jumping around. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.  The last thing before my husband came to bed, he usually walks around the house and just looking around, checked the back door, flipped on the light and she was in 'her spot' on the deck, alert with her head up, just laying down checking out the woods to our west.  Very calm and not upset about anything.  He pecked on the glass in the door, and she turned her head as if to say, "I got this" and when he saw she was ok, he flipped off the light and came to bed.  Even in cool weather it's not unusual for her to sleep all night on the deck and come inside for breakfast in the morning.  When my alarm went off this morning, the other two girls were jockeying for position at the bedside like, Come on!  It's time for breakfast.  So I got up and went to the kitchen, and i didn't see her  or hear her come in.  I called for her but she didn't come.  Went to the back door, flipped on the light and she was laying down in her spot with her head down.
I pecked on the glass and called her name, but she didn't move.  I opened the door and went to her, and she was cold and her leg was stiff.  
She was nearly 9 and a half.  I cannot imagine what it could have been.  All the girls eat the same food; the same treats, and nothing out of the ordinary had happened the day or the evening before.  I'm so heart broken, I cannot stand it.
It's horrible isn't it I'm heart is in bits after losing my dog today
This has happened to me my dog was only 6 years old, when we were about to go to school my second dog was barking but the 6 year old dog didn't but they both get up and bark but one only got up and bark and was very excited, I asked my mom for money to have a snack after school so she gave me it the day before the death the dog was healthy and like a normal dog and the day he died it was out of nowhere that was only when I was 10 and this still hits me up we need to know why this happen.
Know this is an older post but I am joining all of you as I was looking for answers . My 9 year old Sheltie died Thursday night . He was perfectly fine we had been taking walks every night he was happy chasing squirrels and meeting other dogs in the park. I got home from work he was perfectly normal barked and told me about his day I asked why he didnt vacuum.he ate his dinner pooed and peed normal . I kissed him and told him I would be back in 2 hours as. I was meeting a friend for dinner it was still light when I got home so I got a poopy bag and was getting ready to take him for a walk and he wasnt coming to me like he normally would I went down the stairs and he was gone it totally freaked me out he was my baby reading all these posts shows me I am not a lone it helped to read I am so sad
I lost my dog on Saturday as well. I had been at a dog show with my other pup and my partner had taken him to the park. When I got home he was happy to see us and brought me one of his toys to have a play. About half an hour later we went to do some grocery shopping, we were only an hour, when we got home he was laying at the back gate and we thought he was asleep...but unfortunately he had passed away. I am struggling to understand it. He had not been ill, he was only 23 months old, to the day. I miss him terribly, he was my shadow and best buddy.
My best friend and loyal companion of 10 years died suddenly this morning.  He was a beautiful labradoodle of standard size, weighing about 60 pounds.  I am looking for answers.  We had just moved from Ohio to Arizona and we're staying with my son's family.  He had a complete check up before we left Ohio and had no problems.  We had a great trip and spent more time together in these past three weeks than ever before.  He was loving living in the desert and exploring the walled yard area.  My grandsons loved him.  Yesterday he ate well and seemed like he was really adjusting well.  He no longer was having eye drainage problems in this climate.  He went out to do pee around 11 pm.  He went to sleep in his bed next to my bed as normal.  At around 3 or 4 am, I woke to use the bathroom and he was sleeping on the bathroom floor which may have been cooler for him.  He got up when I called his name and went into the living room.  Then at 5;45 am when I woke up, I could hear heavy breathing.  He was lying on the floor, breathing heavy and lethargic.  He could not get up.  He looked so sad and tired and worried.  My son and I took him to the emergency vet hospital.  Within 5 minutes of arriving he went into cardiac arrest.  They performed CPR , gave him oxygen and medicines.  He was not responding.  I wondered if he had been bitten by a venomous animal but he had no signs of a bite anywhere.  The Doctor did an ultrasound and said that there was an enlarged heart and fluid.  She was going to try to remove the fluid but would have to stop compressions.  She came back 10 minutes later and said that it could be an enlarged heart which was hard to tell the difference between fluid and an enlarged heart with an ultrasound.  She advised me that he probably had heart disease that had progressed and that dogs don't often show symptoms and never complain.  I had to decide to stop the resuscitation as his heart would not start beating on its own.  I am devastated by this.  It is so sad and I keep wondering if there were signs that I had missed.  But he was his normal self.  He played an ran around with my son's dog in the morning yesterday and layed around or followed me around like he always does.  I am at a loss and wish he was still here.  I can't believe he is gone.  I want to look into his eyes and hug him again.  We had a great three weeks together.  This forum is helpful to know that I am not alone in dealing with my darling Harley's sudden death.  
I am joining this because it has helped me so much to read all of the comments from before even if they were years ago.  I hope my comments can make people feel not alone. We lost our wheaten six days ago. He was a month shy of eight years old and was my 2-year-old daughter's best friend.  I got him when I was completely alone in the world, and we just kept adding to our little family, first my hubby then daughter. We are all grief-stricken. It's hard to even find joy every day.  But I just try to remember that he would want me to be happy, and I still feel his spirit everywhere in the house and when we go on runs.  I'm going to keep telling my daughter about him so she doesn't forget him.  His death was so similar to the above ones. He was happy and playing at the dog park the morning of, and he was his normal self an hour before he died.  He was panting a little bit more than usual.   After taking him outside to go P, I left with my daughter for an errand. My husband found him an hour later having pooped on the floor, and he couldn't even get up. He walked a couple steps finally and collapsed. My husband gave him chest compressions all the way to the hospital, and Bela took his last breath as my husband carried him into the vet's.  The vet told us an autopsy wouldn't really reveal a definitive cause but it was probably heart related like all of the above posts mention.  We just had no idea this could happen with dogs. It sounds like it's not all that uncommon.  We just have to remember how fragile this life is and every day how important it is to spend time with the people and animals we love. And show them our affection. I was in a hurry to go do my errand, and I still feel bad about that. But I have to feel like there was a divine purpose and having my daughter away from that.  And I know Bela I had a great last day.  My daughter and I actually got to snuggle with him in our bed that morning because my daughter slept with us the night before, a rare occasion. Hopefully I will meet his spirit again. And I pray that he never really leaves us. I miss him every day.
I lost my dog .... The story ... She was fine all day jumping in around all happy normal self .. And then 8 oclock in the night she started being sick and having th runs I knew it was something else  ... I phoned the Pdsa and they said its just sickness and the runs so theres no point bringing her down just leave it till the morning and she should be fine thats what they told me  ... 2 hours go by and she stood up and a lot of blood come from her bottom .. I knew then I had to rush her to the closes vets as it wasnt what the Pdsa had said it was worse ... I got her there and she wasnt moveing her eyes she was breathing very weak they took her off me straight away .... ... 10 mins go by and they tell me she had started to throw up blood .. They needed to run some blood test and other test to see what was going on in the mean time stick her on a drip and give her pain killers ... They did that and they said it will take 2 hours for the test results of her blood I waited out side then in the car .. 2 hours went by I went in and they told me her white blood cells where 1.1 and she has a lot of acid in her blood due to losing so much of it ... The nurse runs out telling the vet that something has gone wrong and then they run down 2 mins later they come Up and tell me she has taken a turn for the worse ... I run down there to see her see what was going on ... It was horrible the amount of blood coming from her mouth and she wasnt moveing or anything .. I knew she was going ... So the vet asked me to out her down and I couldnt see my dog suffer like that so I said do it ... I was holding her paw telling her I love her as they done it ... My life has never been the same and till this day I dont know what coursed it .. The next day I paid off the bill and then paid to get her cremated ... She turned bad so fast in such a short time I just cant believe it and she was such a lovely dog my baby girl she didnt deserve to go that way ... ... Thats my story so I ask people who have dogs or cats if they throw up and have the runs take them down the vets as soon as you can because its not always the case that it is just the runs and sickness ..
Natashamizzi, I am very sorry about the sudden loss of your dog.
It's possible that what she had was haemorrhagic gastroenteritis....but that's just a guess.

Bless her lovely Soul.
It's been over a year since we lost our Rufus and I wrote to  this website as a comfort to all of us whose dog died a suddenly.  I'm still teary-eyed as I write this and am so sorry for all who have experienced a sudden death of a pet.  I still think of my boy daily and how wonderful a companion he was.  He was one of our babies.

A year later, we have a new one, Rogan, who is now almost 9 months old to keep our Franky company.  I don't think that I would have gotten another dog but Franky, our Schnoodle, was inconsolable.  Four months after Rufus' death he still would lie on the couch and just stare off into space.  I was getting very worried for him since I've heard of the pet left behind dying from loneliness and depression.

Our new boy, a Whoodle, Wheaten Poodle, is a happy, healthy and mischievous pup.  He has helped fill the gap for all of the family and Franky has come back to life but that does not mean that we have forgotten the pain of the loss of Rufus.  For all of you who have experienced a sudden loss of a pet, my advice is to get a new one in your own time but this will not eliminate the pain of the loss but it will help.

All the best to all of you and my sympathies in your grief.

Peter In Toronto
am sorry for everyone's  loss what can i tell you about my dog samo he was 15 years old jackrussel  a bundle of joy he was fine and happy today i really dont know what happened he was playing with a box i had given him at my mums i went out to do some jobs for my mum and i as got in i nipped upstairs then i was coming back down the stairs i hurd my mum crying calling his name he was just laid there we didn't know what to do we was heart broken he was are family ill miss him very much it was just so sudden such a sock  i just wish i knew what happened there is a walk he used to go on its were his last resting place will be ill miss him so much
hello everyone and I do wish all a better day.  as for me and my family we are also mourning the sudden lost of our dog tiny.  tiny was a 2 and 1/2 year old cane corso and weighed between 125 and 135 lbs.  just like everyone else he was the glue that held me together each and everyday of his short life and I am truly grateful for each and every minute.  our day started out much like everyone else and doing all the usual things we do with our little buddies.  well around 8:45 pm me and tiny returned from our walk and feeding time done we played with the ball in the yard.  suddenly he just collapsed and was just lying there while I begin chest compressions.  he passed within 1 to 2 mins with a tear coming down his eye.  no blood, vomit or stool.  the days and nights now seem empty and I just will never understand why he left us so sudden.  I use to tell him how much my father would of loved him had he had the opportunity to meet him but my father passed away 27 march 2010.  tiny passed away 27 march 2017 the same day as my father.  so I do believe he just wanted to go meet this man I use to talk about so much.  so I know that he is fine in heaven chasing the ball with my dad which is the only comfort to my family.   but it hurts really really bad.
Hi my dog a German Shepard aged 2 years died two days back. He was healthy and fit dog without any illness. He was fine and was eating well. In the afternoon he was playing with my kids while laying upside down so tht kids wud cuddle him. Suddenly his all four paws folded inside and he started breathing heavily and his eye suddenly changed into big black eye balls. And he cried loud with pain and moved in circle with which his excrete and urine passed out and his mouth was filled with foam. We were terrified  to see him. We tried to come near him bt he wud not allow anyone to come near him. Then he crawled himself to the balcony of the house which was at short distance and later down there and in seconds he ws behaving such as someone is giving him electric shocks. I immediately called the vet and when he arrived he was also clueless abut  dog's condition. Bt it was not rebies for sure. And within half an hour he died. I'm  still in search of the answer tht wht exactly happened to him. So plz if anyone knew do tell. Thank u
I do feel everyone's pain. We just lost our "Baby" girl yesterday. We have no idea why or how. Baby was doing fine in the morning. She saw me off to work as did her little buddy Jackson, our mini Aussie. She was fine. No signs of anything before she passed. Then when we came home from work, we found her in our shed dead. She had looked like she had been struggling before she died which makes it harder to take this...she had dirt all over her and dirt that had turned to mud in her mouth, most of the dirt was on her front paws which shows me she was struggling. I cried my eyes out all last night. And I have cried reading all your stories of your sweet family pets passing. Baby was 8. I will miss you so. It hurts so bad!
Baby81817...
I am so sorry about your dog Baby, and what happened. You must be in dreadful shock about it. Without a necropsy there is no way you can tell what happened to her. But you may not want to go down that route, and instead let her rest in peace.
Bless your dear Baby's Soul. She will always love you and will wait for you. And my kindest thoughts to you and your family.
My dog died today. I have no idea how or why this happened. I remember playing with him just last night, and everything​ was normal, but when I woke up this morning my aunt told me he died. I don't know what might have caused this, but I just miss him so much...