Dogs Community
Dog Died Suddenly with No Signs of Anything Particularly Wrong to Cause...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog Died Suddenly with No Signs of Anything Particularly Wrong to Cause Death.

My family and I just lost our dog out of the blue around 6pm on August 22nd.

He was 8 years of age, approximately 80lbs, and showed no signs of being sick before he passed.

The night before he played like he always had and ate his dog food as usual. On the morning of his passing he was with me in my room most of the morning. He slept most of the time (which was normal for him) and I gave him crust from a sandwich I was eating. Before that my mother had put him outside before she went to work and he came in after a short time and ate some dog food then proceeded to my room. Around 1pm my father put him out and he urinated and came back in. My father saw him the whole time and he didn't do anything but his "business." My mother came home from work around 4pm. She cooked dinner approximately 30 minutes later and our dog was fine walking around the house observing everybody as he had always done. While my parents were eating in the living room around 5pm, my dog laid down on the floor as usual and went to sleep. This was a normal routine for him and nothing was out of the ordinary all day. After dinner around 5:30pm, I asked my mother to help me in my room.

We didn't notice anything wrong with our dog and stepped over him like we normally do when he's sleeping. There were no signs of death at the time.

We were in my room for 5 or 10 minutes. Mom left to go into the kitchen to get some water and noticed our dog was laying oddly with his back legs sprawled out like his front paws which was pretty unusual. My father looked at him and told my mother our dog was dead after noticing feces and vomit on the floor. My mother didn't believe it because our dog was absolutely fine all day and showed no symptoms/signs at any point. She thought my father was joking which was not a normal joke for him to say. He repeated our dog's passing after touching him. Our dog was still warm and felt life-like but he was limp with no breathing. My father believes it was a heart-attack.

The only thing we know was a week or less prior to his passing, our dog was having smelly gas which he's had many times before with no problems. He's had a benign tumor removed from between his toes on a front paw about a year or two years ago. The doctors told us we had nothing to worry about after that and our dog acted completely fine so we don't think that had anything to do with his passing. But the vomit was dark green with a long blade of grass in it but that's all we know.

It was so out of the blue and sudden that it's hit our family really hard because he wasn't just a family pet; he WAS family.

We just would like to know exactly what could of happened. Thank you.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  It's never easy to lose a beloved family member, no matter how old they are.  No matter how long we have them with us, it's never long enough.  :(

From your description of what happened, it does sound like it could have been either a cardiac or cerebral event, but the only way to tell for sure what it was would be to have your vet perform a necropsy (autopsy).  Many people don't want to put their pet through this, after all it won't bring them back and it does cost money to have done.  If you feel it would give you closure, however, contact your vet and arrange to have it done.  

Again, my most sincere sympathies to you on your loss.

Ghilly

Ghilly
Thank you for your condolences. It means so much.

I asked my parents about getting the vet to do an autopsy but truth be told we wouldn't have the money for it and couldn't deal with the pain of it all when we're already trying to get through the shock of his sudden death.

I thank you for telling me what closely resembled what I described in the overall story. Sadly, that is all I can truly know about his death.

I'm just truly thankful that he passed peacefully even though it still hurts me so much to lose him when he was such a close pet to me.

We have other pets that may have trouble transitioning to him not being here because he was the type to be like a father-figure to them all. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it easier on them as well? Especially our other house dog.

Before bed she kept looking at the front door as if to tell us we needed to bring him back inside because he's been out too long.
I am so very sorry too. Oh...how to cope with this great loss? It's hard, I know. To me, my dog is part of my family, not just a pet but more like a little brother or sister.
My best friend (human) died earlier this year and my dog was very very attached to him. He visited regularly, and the last year of his life he visited every day for at least an hour or two.
At first my dog was sentinel in my garden, waiting for his car to arrive, every day at the same time. I had to distract her, and refrained from mentioning his name, as if I did, she showed she expected to see him, and was disappointed. If I saw her watching for the car I would gently distract her with something she loved to do. I wouldn't exactly "reward" her with a treat or anything (as that could have made it worse) But very matter-of-fact would ask her if she wanted to go out to play frisbee in the field....that kind of thing. I noticed those things took her mind right off watching for him.
I kept her busy, basically.

I was given my friend's car by his family, so at first it was very difficult as the car smelled of him, and had many items in it which belonged to him. I noticed my dog went very quiet and rather "sad" when we got in. Well I took the car to the car wash, and cleaned well inside it and removed the items, and replaced them with her blanket and our own things. Then she was much better. And as time has gone by she is OK in the car now.

Dogs and other animals do grieve. But I think although their feelings run deep and loyal, they are also more easily distracted than us humans are. So that's the best plan.
But right now I know what you must be feeling. And I wish you all the best, and God Bless.
It's still extremely hard for me and my mother to get over his passing because he was closest to both of us from the day he was born. It's even harder for me because I've been going through a lot already and our dog was by me everyday to make me feel better the best he could. It's the worst loss I've had thus far and knowing what it's doing to me now, it feels like I'll never get over it considering how close I was to him. It's hard to go anywhere in the house without him standing by me or behind me like he normally did.

He had a heart of gold and loved everyone and everything no matter what. It just kills me inside because he was there through all my hardest of times and I really have no one there for me constantly like he was. I make him sound human with the way our relationship was but I truly didn't see him as just a dog. I'm starting to believe that he was the only thing holding me together.

My mother is still in shock because he was fine then just gone which is surreal. She still can't believe that she didn't see it coming because we always took care of him and have no clue how this could've happened. We truly want to believe that it never happened but it did and that's the hardest thing right now.

Everything reminds me of our dog and I can't stop thinking of him considering he was always with me more than anyone because I was home the most. Every time I'm in my room or the kitchen I swear I hear him jumping down off the couch or bed down the hallway coming to hang out with me and I turn around and he's not there. This morning, there was a dog barking the exact same way he barked when he was letting me know he was ready to come back in and I just broke down. It may sound over-dramatic but he was always there for me and I can't deal now that he's not.

This is the only loss where I've not been able to eat much of anything or do things I normally would without crying. I don't want to ever forget him but at the same time it seems that's the only way I can live life again. But I know I'll never forget him so I have to find a way to get through this which is extremely hard.

I just loved him more than anything and I can truly say that without second guessing. I just want him back so much...and it's heartbreaking that he's never coming back.
I know just how you feel my sweet boy died suddenly sst feb 23rd he was just fine i let h out it was a nice day snd i heard him bark to come in i was doing something so i tild him just a min bout 15 min later i called him in and he didnt come in he was laying i. Yard dead still warm and i just cant believe it he was just fine im totally devastated i cant sleep or hardley function.......i dont know its just awefull....
I know its been a few years since your post.  I'm sorry for your loss.  We just lost our dog, in a similar way, so I was searching for answers and saw your post.  Our dog, Hugo, was only 6yrs old.  Healthy and energetic the day he died.  My kids were playing with him an hour before he died.  They didn't notice any odd behavior.  Energetic, happy Hugo.  Maybe 1/2 hr later, he was lying lifeless in his favorite spot by the back door.  No odd fecal matter, no vomit, his appetite was normal, he had plenty of water.  Just puzzles me what could've happened.  I can't afford a necropsy so I started searching the net.  I know Hugo is in a happy place, a good place full of love and fun.  I know your pain.  
I completely understand how you feel and I am equally sorry for you and your family's loss. When we lost our dog, it was terribly hard to get past the fact that we will never truly know what happened. To this day, we still wish we knew. He meant so much to my family and I and it made it so much harder not knowing and the fact that it happened so suddenly. I learned to take comfort in reminding myself that Scooby is in a better place when I'd have a severe reminder of his and my time together. As you said, they're both in a happy place full of love and fun. :)
my dog just died randomly yesterday. shes a pug-a-poo pomchi, very small dog, and she was only a year old. we had left to go do something, and she was very happy and energetic as normal before we left, and was fed and watered.. came back an hour or two later, she had passed. the neighbors(also the landlord) have been breaking in lately to steal stuff, and we think they might have poisoned her to get back at us. (they strongly dislike us for some reason even though we fixed their house and pay way too much for a 3 bedroom, 1500 sq ft.)

good thing were moving. i couldnt deal with crying over another one of our beloved animals because of stupid people.
That is horrible! I am so sorry for your loss. When I was younger, our neighbor poisoned our dog with antifreeze...we lived in the middle of nowhere and they were the only neighbors we had for miles... Once more, I am so sorry for your loss and pray you find peace in knowing she's in a better place.
Avatar n tn
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I was trying to look up what may have happened to my best friend also... And I came across your post. I can't help but compare your feelings to mine at the moment... It has been almost a week since we lost our best friend, our baby, our family member... We were also going through a rough phase and our dog was there to help us cope with the loss. It was because of him that we were able to heal after the loss of my grandfather. It was because of him that made life bearable for me at times. My family and I are devastated but are able to cope with this loss knowing he is in a better place. The same description you gave of how your dog laid and the symptoms that you described were present with our dog also. It's almost as if I have written the post myself. I can completely understand what you went through and I thank you for posting this online... I also wonder what may have happened to our dog... We didn't opt for an autopsy because we didn't want him to be cut up and the vet said that someone recently got an autopsy of their cat with no results. Reading your post made me feel like you took the words right out of my mouth; I can't eat or sleep... I can't help but search online about what I may have done wrong...We miss him so so much, but the most we want is that he be happy and at peace wherever he is.
I know your post was a while back, but I too was searching for answers and came across your posting. I lost my 10 year old toy poodle Chiquita last Thursday night. I was devastated and I am left without answers. My Chiquita died in almost the exact same way, she was playing with my kids and being herself and not even an hour later we found her lifeless surrounded in her feces but no vomit. I wish I knew what happened and I can't help but feel we did something wrong. After processing how it all happened so suddenly, I have one thing that really bothers me, that we didn't keep up with her heartworm medicine. We loved her so much and always tried to protect her from harms way, but this was one thing we failed at. I am wondering if this was the case for anyone else here, not being consistent in preventing heartworms. It's the only thing I can think of that that could have caused her death, and that tears me apart, that it could be our fault. I know I have to deal with this guilt, whether or not this was the cause of her sudden death. We will never know. Please let me know if anyone can relate to this factor.
I am so sorry for your loss. With my dog, we never had him on heartworm medication. He never showed signs that he had heartworms either so we never thought that was the factor in his death. He was always playing and running around with no problems breathing or anything afterwards. If your dog showed signs of having heartworms, then that could possibly be the reasoning. But, either way, you shouldn't blame yourself in any way, shape, or form for your pet's death. It was just her time unfortunately... I pray you find peace in knowing she's in a better place and continue to remember the wonderful times with her and that they help to ease the pain of losing her.
I think your dog would have had more signs if it was heartworm, no? I just lost my dog on Monday - very, very sudden.  Was sitting in a school parking lot waiting for my child to come out.  I was right next to him.  He stumbled then collapsed. I picked him up and he was like dead weight..  He died about a minute or less later.  My dog was 13 - he had heart disease and an irregular heartbeat.  My vet said 'he threw a blood clot'.  It was most likely produced in the heart.  Whenever you have an irregular heartbeat you are more susceptible to producing blood clots.  Vet told me many pets that die this way have an undiagnosed heart condition.  I am broken hearted -  He too was just fine the day he died up until that minute- he died in my car before my child even got out of school.  
I, like the majority here have lost a loved one & searched the web for answers- finding your post. My baby Red (11 yrs) , wonderful corgi was fun, energetic, loyal and enjoyed eating as a hobby.
He passed last night 11/9/13. My dad said the morning walk was normal as usual, although he noticed My dog was walking slow and seemed dizzy.  My dad had to carry him because my dog appeared to have difficulty standing. Around 3p my dad looked at Red and was playing with him, my dog was just lying in his stomach slouching which seemed normal considering he's old already. But he just went back into his house.

His fecal matter was slightly darker than normal so that's probably a sign? Last week, he did move slower and didn't as much eat his food in large amounts like he always did. I should've taken him to the vet immediately but my dog was okay.

I wondered too what caused this but I wouldn't be able to do a necropsy either. It's just painful and expensive and I don't wanna put my dog thru it. He slept in the afternoon yesterday and never woke up.  He lied comfortably head on the side and his paws by his face like he always does. After accepting he's passed, my dad carried his body and noticed he might've bit his tongue and it was sorta sticking out. We believe it may have been a heart attack.  I just cannot imagine what my dog was going through before that. I miss him so much, all I do is cry when I think that I'll never see and hold him again.

The pain I feel is extreme and like all of you, he was and never was just a pet, rather my family. He was my little brother and baby.  I'm 30 and I know it would seem weird having to feel this down but I still cannot get passed this sad feeling.
I know he's in a better place but I wish I could've had more time to give him more than I have ever. I only hope he knew how much I loved him and how much he was loved and appreciated for being the joy in our lives for the past 11 years.

Thinking and remembering the great times makes me smile but the constant aching and crying is constant.  Losing a loved one is always so painful. I love you so much Reddie Poo
I always understood that small dogs live 15 years or more, so I am surprised you lost you lovely dog at age 11.  My condolences.

Our estimated 9 year old Westie has had a bowel change to a very dark color, almost black.  I think in his case it is due to a prescription diet the vet put him on as we continue to search for a allergy he seems to have - yeast infection problems.  Did your dog have a change in diet before his death?  If no, then the change in color may be a warning sign... I'll watch this post to see if anything on that aspect develops.
I'm so sorry for everyone's unexpected furbaby loses. I just lost my Erik the hound dog on October 15th and still am scouring for answers as to how I lost him. I've come up with numerous hypothesis and am so angry at myself that he left so quickly. He had GI problems off-and-on for years. He had been on probiotics, prednisone, I/D low fat dog food. I'm trying not to blame myself but it's hard not to return to the moment I stopped his probiotics after he had been on them for two months. I thought it was a temporary supplement and since he was doing better that it was okay to stop them. 2 weeks later the diaherra (diarrhea) returned (he hadn't had diaherra (diarrhea) since July). I started up the probiotics again, upped his prednisone, gave him a chicken and rice diet. His stools weren't improving and by day 10 we were at the emergency vet because he was in pain. 2 days after that visit they diagnosed him with pyothorax and kept him at the clinic. The next day he went into cardiac arrest when they returned him to his kennel and they saved him. But, the following day, he went into cardiac arrest again and passed away to cross the Rainbow Bridge.

He was 9.5 and I regret not treating him more carefully. I never realized he was so delicate. I can only believe I should've been more careful with the probiotics.

There are so many other factors, too ... I just feel the blame lays on me that my baby boy is no longer here in the physical world.

They leave so suddenly and can only be left searching for an answer that we did the best we could with what we knew....
Hi, these posts were awhile ago but like a lot of people here, I found them when I was searching for possible reasons for my dog's passing... My amazing, gorgeous Border Terrier died suddenly yesterday morning. He was only 7 years old and I'm devastated. I know people will think it's silly, but he was like a child to me or a best friend. I've had him since he was a puppy. He should have had at least three more years. I'm completely broken up.
I moved 3 months ago, and he had been in kennels for nearly two months while we waited for a flat. He would have been back with me in just over a month. I had a call yesterday to say that the lady who runs the kennels had gone in to clean him out and he was asleep, and had died in his sleep. The kennels were were very good and I can't imagine they did anything wrong. They were sure that he hadn't had any symptoms of illness, he seemed happy enough, was eating and drinking water, had been walked regularly, was going to the toilet normally, wasn't in any discomfort in any way. He had had all his innoculations. I just can't understand how this could have happened. It's worse that I wasn't with him and I can't know if there was something I could have done to prevent it.

I just can't believe it still. I'm going to miss him so much. It doesn't seem right that he isn't here.
Hello. My 12 year old male labrador died 3 weeks ago, I don't know from what, and it's killing me. He was perfectly healthy and well. He ate a delicious lunch and was happy, a bit later he was acting like he wanted to vomit but he couldn't. We called the vet right away, he said maybe his stomach needed surgery and we hurried there, he was really feeling sick and almost couldn't walk, and he gave him anesthesia and he checked his stomach and said it probably wasn't bloat, yet maybe he ate too much (but his meal wasn't much bigger than usual!), he emptied the gastric content and he didn't operate. The dog woke from anesthesia, but he could not move at all, except the head. Then we brought him home and after a while he started barking with a very tiny voice, like he was in pain or like he was asking for help. He barked desperately with this little voice for several hours...Then he stopped for a while, and then he died. He was dead 12 hours after the initial incident. What happened? It's killing me, I can't stop thinking about it and I'm so miserable about the way he died.
Sorry for your loss. I lost my five year old last week suddenly. It sounds ike Parvo disease, read up on it and see other peoples testimonials. It sounds pretty close to Parvo to me. I took my dog in for an animal autopsy, $100.00 plus tax. Im waiting for my results. I need some closure to learn what not to do with the new puppy. Gus
I'm adding to this post because sometimes it feels good just to get your feelings out to people who understand what you're going through. Three weeks ago, my husband and I lost our sweet yellow lab, Jaxson. He was only 4 years old and the picture of health, extremely fit and so full of life. He was completely normal when I came home from work. He greeted me at the door, ran for one of his toys and a few mintues later ate his dinner. When my husband came home, they went out to play in the snow for ~5 minutes tops (we usually play with him for at least an hour or more). They came in the house, Jax followed him and while my husband was taking his jacket off Jax collapsed and started briefly seizing. In the 10 seconds it took me to reach them, he was already gone. All in less than a minute. Even though I knew he was gone, I did chest compressions all the way to the emergency vet. We chose to get a necropsy done at the University here and the results showed no obvious indications on why he would have died so suddenly.  I was hoping for any sort of answer.

We are completely broken. We have no children so our world revolved around that beautiful boy. I think we both feel that it was our job to protect him and take care of him and we failed somehow. We know that we need another dog in our lives but I'm so worried that I will never love another as much as I love him. There is just a huge hole in my heart.
Dear mindyjk, please read my comment above. My sweet 12 year-old labrador died in the early morning hours of January 20, and I am still miserable. I also posted another question, as a separate topic, "What caused my dog's death?". Because I still don't know what happened. In your case, it does sound a little like stomach bloat. I know the vet once told me never to play or walk the dog for at least 1 hour after the meal, because labradors as a breed are particularly prone to stomach bloat and they die from it. That's what at first I thought happened to my dog, but it probably wasn't. He didn't walk or play, and also when we rushed him to the vet, it didn't appear like bloat. You can imagine how I felt after 12,5 years of companionship. He also stood by me at difficult and lonely times, then he embraced my family when I married and had kids, he was always supportive and sweet to all of us and never jealous or competitive with the kids. Even though I have two kids, he was also like a kid of mine and noone else can ever fill that void and replace him. The fact that he died so suddenly is what's killing me the most, also that I don't know what caused his death or if I could have done things differently...
Mariae1234, your story brought tears to my eyes. I don't think there is any easy way, whether we have to choose euthanasia or if they die suddenly like ours did. Like you, I think having a definitive answer to the cause would bring some sort of closure. I've done more research and although it's definitely not a textbook case, I think Jax may have died from a very severe case of Exercise Induced Collapse- a condition I'm just finding out about which is fairly common in Labradors. Fatal cases are rare but it can happen. It may be a stretch but its the only thing that makes any sort of sense.

From what I can tell, you were an amazing mom to that sweet pup of yours. Take comfort in knowing that he wasn't alone and you did everything you could. Hopefully time will help heal us both but in the meantime it is pretty miserable.
My sweet pup died suddenly on Friday. He turned 6 this month. Everything was normal in the morning. He was outside for about 15 minutes, came in, and laid in his cage. When my boyfriend checked on him about 15 minutes later, he was laying their with his legs sprawled out, and a little bit of blood by his mouth. I did not do a necropsy. Money is tight, and it wouldn't bring my pup back anyway. But the suddenness and the lack of reason really is causing me to have a very hard time dealing with this. I hope it was a natural death and that no one did something that caused an internal injury. I don't know if he was outside in the cold too long, or his chronic anxiety possibly stressed him too much one too many times. Or possibly, he ate something? I don't know. I wish I did. My daughters are crying constantly as well. We are just so sad.
Cynamil,

I am so sorry for your loss. Remember that we ended up spending the money for the necropsy and it still didn't gave us any answers. All it told us was that he was perfectly healthy which was more frustrating. Chances are the same would have happended to you. It sounds like your pup was extremely loved and taken care of. I'm sure it was a natural death that I'm finding out now is more common than I realized.

It's been about six weeks and Jax is still the first thing I think of every morning when I wake up. The pain is less sharp but it's still there and I miss him desperately. We've been looking at getting another pup but I don't think I'll be ready for a few months. I'm hoping by summer I'll be ready to give my love to a new dog.

After reading your post I had a similar experience just happen.  My year and a half year old was out playing and within a hour was dead in the yard.  Was a healthy dog with no prior sickness.  No vomiting or abnormal poop.  We had a preliminary autopsy done and everything looked normal and healthy.  They sent him to the college for the necropsy.  We are awaiting results.  I just cant believe hes gone.  Just wish we knew what went on so fast.
my sweet jazzy was just the best of all ..she was everything to her brother and she was his life .. to us she was the most protective and caring loving dog one could have ...she ate well last thursday i wished her goodbye ..2hurs later she screamed and died ...i cant eat or be happy in anyway since.i keep thinking what didn't i see and why? she was a lab.
I just lost my beautiful 13.5 year old yellow lab this morning. We had lost track of heartworm medicine in recent months. I hope that wasn't the cause. I'm sorry for your loss. My wife let her out at about 7 AM and she was fine and I checked on her at 8 and she was gone. Her name was Summer. I loved her so much. What was your dog's name.
I suppose I too am writing because I stumbled upon this sight in trying to find answers as to why my 6 1/2 year old Yorkie passed away suddenly this morning.  Riley was truly my "princess".  This was a toy Yorkie that was wee-wee pad trained and would urinate on demand.  She hated to go on a leash and did not like for her paws to touch the pavement.  My children referred to her as, "an inside kitten". She was the sweetest little thing.  Anyway Riley had a normal evening consisting of a snack while I was preparing her bowls for the following day. Then I brought her upstairs to lay in bed with my husband and myself. She played with her toys, ran around, bothered our other dog and did everything that she normally does.  Than at about 11 pm my husband carried the 2 dogs down to their individual crates for the evening.  At 6 am my husband went downstairs to let them out of their crates and Riley was stiff.  Her eyes were open, she was laying in the same position that she would have slept in.  But she was gone.  No clues, no answers.  The Dr. said either cardiac or a blood clot. I am broken over this.
Today I have lost my sharpie . It was my best friend I'm too heartbroken to comment very much but she just went lie under the bed and never woke up.
Rip Chelsi you are gone but never forgotten

The house will never be the same xxxxxxxx
I so sorry for your loss.  My 6 years old cavalier king Charles spaniel died in exactly the same circumstances 2 days ago and my family and I are devastated. She was very small for her breed and had a seizure once about a year ago but had been in good health since then. We had just left the house to walk her, her tail wagging constantly as usual,  when she stopped in her tracks  for a second then fell on her side, legs twitching.  I picked her up and she was gone.. I feel bereft, she was so much more than a pet to us and I am terrified it could happen to my other dog (same breed ).
My10 years old leo, daysound breed dog died in 2-5 minutes 2 days ago on monday 03-11-2014 and that was very big shouk for my family and me. my leo is part of my family, not just a pet but more like a little brother. we love him alot like a small kid we spent more time with him and he also play with us regularly. his loss for us is too large we cant express our feelings by words........
I was hoping someone may be able to answer what happened to our 11 year old pit bull, Kitty.  She died suddenly this past Saturday, 11/15/14.  She was acting normal, and we were going to the mountains to camp for the night.  When we arrived, she got out of the truck and roamed as normal.  About 15 minutes later she started acting strange.  She wanted to get back into the truck.  We let her in the back, and she laid very still on the seat.  She immediately seemed lethargic and started having labored breathing, and lost control of any motor skills.  Her tongue just hung from her mouth.  It seemed almost as if she was stunned.  I watched her pupils take over her eyes, her breathing slowed, and she was gone within 20 minutes.  It is going to hurt for a long time.  I guess it would give us some peace to have an idea what happened to her.  There was nothing we could do to save her.
I too am looking for answers.  Our beloved 5 year old golden retriever passed suddenly on 11/29/14.  He was fit, healthy and Happy.  He gave unconditional love.  He was normal in the morning, went out for a few minutes, played, came in wagging his tail, i fed him, then played with him and brushed him a little, then he collapsed at my side, had a seizure, and was gone.  We are devasted.  The vet and I think it was probably a cardiac event that caused a massive stroke.  He was the thread that held our family together and our neighborhood.  Everyone loved him.  I am sorry for your loss and everyone else's.  My daughter told me don't be sad, Prince would want you to be happy.
I just lost my beloved mini Doxie Copper 9 1/2 year old.   The past week he seemed a little down, not much.  He always drank water expressively but now was drinking water normally, and going to the potty normal too. I noticed he vomited a few times once it was yellow.  He seemed a little sluggish but not a lot...he still wanted to eat and loved his cookies and play ball.  But he didn't seem himself...I took him to the vet on Friday 12/05 at 4:45pm the Vet said his heart was beating fast and we knew he had a heart murmur which had not progressed.  He felt his belly he said it can be 1 of 2 things..either he is constipated or it can be tumors since he felt a hardness around his stomach area.  He took him to the back and they took his temperature and weighted him and brought him back to me...he was breathing very heavily. He told he would take him to the back again to do blood work and to see if he was constipated...5 minutes later I heard him bark about 10 times it was a very thin bark and we lost him.  The vet suggested an autopsy since I was in total shock and could not control my emotions.  He did the autopsy and found he had tumors that were pretty much advanced. He said that it was best that it happened this way since he did not suffer.  But I still can't understand how it happened so sudden..I am devastated I can't seem to live without him he was my first pet and I love him so much.  He was my baby by pride and joy. I expected to have him at least another 5 years which is their life span.  I am so depressed.
I sent you a message.  There are no answers that I have found.  Sometimes  life *****.  I have a broken heart so I know how you feel.  I am so sorry.  Very sorry.
If the sense of loss and grieving becomes too much to cope with, Community help, friendship and support for those who grieve for a dog, cat, or any other creature they loved very much can be found here:

www.rainbowbridge.com
My scottish terrier, who was 7 years old, 8 months, 2 weeks, died suddently 12/29/14.  He was not ill, showed no signs of injury, no vomit, no bowel movement...he was found lying still on the grass in our backyard.  He was let out of the house to get some sun and to continue his barking at the UPS man who was ringing our doorbell.  Our daughter found him lying there with his eyes opened and mouth partially open. We just don't know what could have happened.  He goes to the vet, takes his monthly meds for ticks/fleas, eats regularly.  He was a great dog; had him as a puppy...very smart, energetic, special to us.  He is sorely missed!  I haven't been able to eat for 3 days now.  Today we had a UPS delivery and no barking; it hurts a lot but I know he is at a much better place.  I'm trying to focus on being thankful for the good times we had together and the time we had.  He did not suffer but went peacefully; his time was up.  :(
I truly do feel your pain. My husband and I lost our precious baby maltipoo on Christmas Day just before sitting down to dinner with our family. Everything was fine and normal, my husband was holding her and she was her usual alert loving self, but all of a sudden she went a bit limp in his arms; he took our outside and put her in the grass to pee and she couldn't get up and looked very disoriented. Our vet told us to take her to the emergency vet, but before we could get there, she died in my husband's arms. It's been heartbreaking for both of, especially my poor husband, who feels guilty and is extremely depressed about the loss of our little girl. She was only eight years old and we expected to have her company for a much longer time. Our vet theorized that suffered a severe allergic reaction to something, maybe a bug bite, but we don't know if that is really the case, as we don't have any idea how it could have happened as my husband was holding her when she first showed symptoms. We will never know.
It helps to share these stories with other who are going through what we are.
My comment also is that most pet lovers who have lost a beloved pet suddenly at a young age do NOT have the means to have an autopsy done on their dogs. It also seems to me that even if an autopsy is done, most of the time there's no good reason given for the death. So it occurs to me that there may be something else going on that DVM science has not discovered, probably because of the lack of post mortem examinations. Is it the food? Medicines given for fleas or heart worms or ticks? Treats (discounting Chinese-produced stuff, which just about everyone knows about)?
Is there any research that can prevent these tragic untimely deaths of our babies?
This sudden death is all so horrible for us humans.  At least our beloved pets didn't suffer much.  My fiance' and I just lost our 8 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback pup this past Monday evening, and we are devastated.  Her death was like a lightning strike out of the blue.  She was a beautiful, happy and apparently healthy pup.  Before we knew what was happening, she was gone.  The vet suggested undiagnosed heart failure, but her puppy check ups had all passed fine.  He said the necropsy would cost us "almost as much as the pup purchase price", which was $1800 in our case, so we declined.  It wouldn't bring our Bella back, and we can't go further in debt for something like this.  My fiance' and I almost feel the little girl had a stroke or aneurysm since she went almost instantly and her heart had checked good.  While this is not supposed to happen, it does... take nothing for granted, and take lots of pictures!
This must be a common occurrence and common for people to look up the sudden death of their dog from feelings of guilt like me.  Our Border Collie Maddie died suddenly today at exactly 4pm Central time.  She was eating, drinking water and enjoying treats like always.  She had laid down below our TV as usual to take her after dinner nap.  My husband was 4 feet away from her and I was cooking when I heard a weird whimper like she does when she is dreaming heavy.  Except this whiney whistling whimper sounded different and high pitched than the dreaming type.  I ran into the den to see what was happening and my husband asked me if the dog was dying!!!  I yelled her name loudly over and over, Maddie!  Maddie! and she never lifted her head made another sound.  She took two gasping death breaths and was gone. She never acted sick other than licking a lot for the last 4 days like she had maybe a urinary infection.  I checked to see why she was licking so much and noticed that she was doing it due to urine leakage so we were heading to the vet on Monday.  We have had her for 10 years and we are not sure if she was 3 or 7 when we rescued her from a kill shelter in 2005 so she was old and was diagnosed with heartworms when we got her.  Even though she was getting old it is none less shocking and heartbreaking when your dog suddenly dies like this when they are otherwise acting "normal".  We had to put her in the deep freezer until we can get to the animal crematory on Monday.  She dies 2 hours after they closed today.  We live in the Texas Hill Country and cannot dig a hole to bury her in.  We have limestone rock in every spot we tried to start digging. It has been a really bad day, my lovely cousin Donna also died this morning, we were dealing with those feelings and then our dog died.  A very, very odd day.  Maybe my cousin needed a pup in heaven!
Dear backwoods rocker, I am so very sorry for your loss.  We lost our precious girl suddenly in 3/2014.  I immediately called the vet as I was afraid she had been poisoned as she died in the backyard.  The vet thought a sudden death in our 8 year old might be hemangiosarcoma of the spleen or heart.  Necroscopy found it was exactly that in her heart.  This was a cancer of the blood vessels, and nothing could have been done.  Sudden loss is so very hard.  (((HUGS)))
I am very sorry about what happened with your girl. My Misty passed away from Hemangiosarcoma too. In her case we did get some warning. But it is true that sometimes Hemangiosarcoma can take them very suddenly indeed, and can often be the cause of many inexplicable deaths.
With this cancer they sometimes show no signs of being ill before total collapse.
To backwoodsrocker and all that have lost their family members. I am sorry for your loss and I join you in the rollercoaster that follows. We just lost Jack, our 7.5 year old cocker/retriever mix. We adopted him at the 1.5 year old mark. He was beautiful, intelligent, and the most loving dog I have ever met. He would lay on my cloths and warm them for me before I dressed in the morning. Always there, patient, gentle, and loving. He was ready to go for a run, play catch, or just cuddle anytime. Sometimes I would be working in the garage and he would just lay his head on his paws and watch me like a human, trying to learn what I was doing, for hours! I feel guilty for not playing with him more. He was so smart! He learned to drop the ball at the top of the driveway and let it roll down and catch it at the bottom. We didn't take him to the vet for the last few years, but always appeared healthy, and he ate Taste of the Wild dog food as long as we have had him.

Sunday morning my wife was playing with him in the yard and he and the cat were running around. Later on around 1 pm she left for work and said he seemed happy and normal. Then, around 830 pm I got home and found him on his side, just inside the door. He was barely warm and stiff already. The only sign was a pool of mostly clear fluid around his head and some blood in the middle. I have talked to two vet doctors that both said it sounds like heart failure, most likely from a blood clot. I guess the fluid drained out of his nose. They assured me it was sudden which brings some relief. I still feel guilty for not playing with him more, taking him in for checkups and for being gone while he was in his final moments. I feel for the rest of you and your family members that have passed on. He may have been a dog but on April 19th 2015 I lost my son.
I too am lost , My darling lily (tenterfield  terrier) died so suddenly yesterday on Mothers Day fine in the morning , came onto the bed for morning cuddle then treat , parked herself on a dog bed inside the house next to a sunny window (9 degrees) so warm in sun. I wen to visit my mother on my return not even two hours later she was lying on my bedroom floor unconscious two spasms then she was gone. It's such a heartbreaking thing it's a blessing that it seemed quick but sadly we can never accept it at the time , I can't even imagine life without our precious gentle happy little girl ... Vet said probably clot or heart failure but when they're so healthy in the morning then gone it's so hard to believe everything just feels so surreal . RIP our darling
I hear you , I feel so guilty not being there when my girl passed , only gone couple of hours to find her on my bedroom floor on my return , the loss is leaving a terrible void ,I just can't believe my girl is gone although she was 11 I just assumed she had few good years left as she was so playful n seemed so healthy. I have come home from work twice to no beautiful greeting and can't imagine how long it takes to feel even slightly normal without my best friend. Condolences to you both. I just pray there is some kind of doggy heaven :-(
I lost my dog Nibbles today at 4am. I got home around 2 and he came upstairs and saw me and my mom woke up and came and watched tv with me. He sat with us and was licking my face and being normal and then he got his ball and wanted to go outside as usual. He laid down by my moms feet and fell asleep. I kept telling her a story and I noticed that he began to urinate in his sleep and I have never seen him do that before so I tried to wake him up, but he didn't wake and he wasnt breathing. He tried to gasp for air one or two last times in my arms and he passed. He was 12 years old and my best friend. Last week when my dad was walking him he said that he fell over when he was walking but got right back up. I think he may have had an aneurysm. RIP my boy nibs
I am so happy I found this support group!  I, too was looking for answers.  My 10 year old female Maltese was happy and playing.  I took her to the groomer for just a haircut, as I had bathed her earlier at home.  She was only there for an hour.  She came home around 2 in the afternoon and at 8:00 she just collapsed!  No warning signs, no prior history.  She had been to the vet 2 weeks ago for her annual physical and everything looked really good according to the vet.  We rushed her to the emergency vet , but she died .  They theorize it might have been an underlying heart condition.  She had an EKG less than a year ago before surgery to repair a broken leg.
I am heartsick....just lost my 6 yr. old golden doodle yesterday.  I cannot accept how she just dropped and died.  She was healthy, active, played ball with my husband a few times a day.  She was barking at the window looking at a dog that passed our way everyday.  She barked a few times, dropped to the wood window sill and was gone......My husband and I can barely make it thru the day
My dog pass way year day At 7:45 pm last nite she 8 year old a loving King Charles Spaniel her name was Tammy we dot how  she  died my wife was up because she set on my wife feet at the time she phone me up saying we have lost Tammy I ask what you meet we lost Tammy she crying over the phone Tammy have just died I side what you been she died we have got a over King Charles spaniel call  call call shandy  He his miss her too and can not understand where Tammy have gone do know anything we can do for shandy  please let me know  From Andy Kitching
I am grateful i found this group same like all of you i was looking for answers as i lost my girl a beautiful maltese 10years old ,  she was my first girl and i loved her deeply .
In our case it was like faith irony , my husband was with her at the vet because she had a heart condition but not so severe and it turned to be, every 2 weeks we were going to take the medicine , while he was waiting with her to be called by the doctor she cough a little bit but this was very common so he took her in his arms and the next second she was gone, the doctor gave her cpr and injection in the heart to resusctitate her but all was in vain ...all this in front of my husband eyes ,
For many of you who think that if they got to the vet in time maybe there was a chance but look how life is even in front of the doctor the life is so fragile and sometimes nothing can't be done.
I have no words to discribe the pain but we will fight for the other 2 boys we have .
I hope she is in  happy place and sometimes sees us.
Last night I came home to find my beautiful purebred american bulldog had passed away suddenly. She was only 5 years old and happy and energetic as usual 5 hours prior when we fed her. She had poo'd but not vomited. She had only just had $400 worth of blood tests days before because she had lost a bit of weight, all of which came back fine so we were just going to up her diet. I have no idea what happened but this site has helped me cope. I can't help but blame myself and regret not being there when she passed. She was the most beautiful dog and more like a child and a best friend to me. I feel guttered and lost. Millie is currently getting an autopsy to hopefully bring me some peace of mind. Thinking of you all xx
I have no answers for you,I hope the vet can find some
answers to ease your mind so you get closure on how,
why your Millie left so soon.
Our beloved fur babies become such a huge part of our
lives the minute they walk into our hearts,it sounds like
she was very loved and cherished. I am so very sorry.
Jan
First off I read this and your other posts and really connected to the exact why you are feeling. I notice this was a long time ago, I hope you have been able to move on and enjoy life again.
I just had a similar thing happen to my 4 1/2 year old Yogi I am devastated and feel all the emotions you mentioned. He died out of nowhere and was gone within 1 minute of collapsing. He was perfectly healthy and happy when he passed. Just barking at the door bell. I was home alone and grabbed him he whimpered and died a minute later. He was so sweet and kind and helped me through all my hard times and was always with me. I worked from home and so he was by my side 24/7. We moved all over the country together and he knew and saw so many sacred things to me. We were closer than anyone I ever knew. I miss him so much it hurts. I too see him around every corner but can't believe he isn't actually there. It is really hard to believe he will never be here again. I don't know why this happened. It is so hard. My whole routine and identity as a dog owner as been ripped away....Thank you for sharing your story it helps with a small amount of comfort.
I'm so sorry for everyone who has added to this list.  Our beautiful, funny, and mischievous Rufus, a 9 year 3 month old, Wheaten, died after displaying symptoms for only 2 and 1/2 hours on September 25th, 2015, Friday morning at about 1:10 am.  It all started about 10:30 in the evening.  

Thursday was a very normal day.  I'm retired and my partner went to work.  Our two dogs as usual barked when he left the house because it appears that they did not like any of the family to leave.  This is a regular routine.  We also have a mini Schnoodle, Franky who is also the love of our lives.  I always told people that they were brothers although they obviously were not.  They acted like they were.  Rufus was the big brother and Frank did everything his bigger brother did.

The day proceeded.  They both followed all regular routines, did their business in the back yard, ate breakfast, went for their walk, slept and played.  They ate supper around 5 p.m.  Rufus as usual asked for more by pawing the cupboard where we keep the food.  We never denied him that because he was very persistent until he got his way.  There was absolutely no sign of anything wrong.  About 5:30 I always say, "Go watch for Tony." because he's usually home around that time.  They both ran to the window and within 2 minutes the barking began and Tony was home.  Rufus ran upstairs to hide and waited to be called down.  This was a game he made up.  Everything was normal.

I went to bed around 10.  At 10:30 Tony called up and said something was wrong with Rufus.  He was panting and did not want to walk up the stairs to the bedroom.  I called and he struggled up.  We settled in and I rolled over and went back to sleep for a while.  I heard him panting heavily, listened a bit, went over and picked him off the floor and put him on the bed beside me and cuddled him.  His  breathing got a bit easier.  I got up to read about heavy panting in dogs on the net while  Tony cuddled him.  We discussed taking him to the vet but it was about 1:00 by that point so I got back into bed.  Shortly after that he sat up, jumped off the bed, could not walk, dragged himself the to foot of the bed, emptied his bladder and took his last breath.  He died right in front of us.

We took his body to our regular vet in the morning who said it was likely a heart related event because it happened so quickly.

Tony and I are both heart-broken.  What else can I say except that it will take time to get over this and I feel sorry for everyone's loss who had added to this string.  There are no answers.

Peter in Toronto

I also just lost my sweet, sweet girl, my Honey Bunny.  She had a bacterial infection that she got from my foster dog (who had whipworms).  They were both being treated, but Honey was still lethargic and not herself.  I had called the vet and asked to bring her in on Friday, but he said to give the meds over the weekend to work and if she still wasn't herself by Monday, he'd see her in the morning.  Saturday night (really early Sunday morning), she just collapsed and died.  I did do a necropsy and the doctor just called me this afternoon.  It seems she had Adisons disease.  I had never heard of it and I don't know why she wasn't diagnosed although the doctor tried to tell me that my vet would have had difficulty diagnosing it with the bacterial infection.  Either way, I'm devastated.  If I wouldn't have fostered the other dog, Honey would not have had the bacterial infection and the Adisions would have been caught (it is a disease they can live with along with medicine) or I'm pissed at my vet because he didn't catch this.  Life really ***** right now.
Don't beat yourself up.  I know how difficult it is with all the "What ifs? and If I had or hadn't done this".  I believe it is a very normal part of the experience of caring that much.  It is just over one week now for me and I'm still terribly sad.   I'll never be able to forget Rufus.  He was my first dog and I'm 67 years old.  I'm wondering if I should get another to keep Franky and Oli company and join our family.  What saddens me too is that our cat, Oli has been sleeping in Rufus' bed.  I believe it's her way of saying goodbye.  Franky, our Schnoodle, at times just lies there, eyes opened, very quietly and stares off into space with a very sad look in his eyes.  I know they are both sharing in this experience.  

Life really does suck right now but there is no way of backtracking to undo what has been done.  Also, just feel what you have to and accept it.  I believe that is part of the grieving process.  I've had many other losses, people and other pets, and eventually the depth of the bad feelings lessen.  

I'm very sorry for your loss also.

Peter in Toronto
I just lost my beautiful giant Chihuahua, Flash this Monday.  He was just 7 years old. We also have a giant chihuahua, Peanut, who is 10.  The reason I call them giant is because they are the size of a little beagle, and about 22 pounds each of muscle, not fat. At least, Flash was all muscle!  Every morning it was the same routine, I would get up around 4:30 AM and let Peanut out in the pen to pee.  Flash didn't always get up then; he liked his sleep.  Then Peanut would get a cookie and lay down in the kitchen, while I went back to bed for 1/2 hour more of sleep.  That was Flash's time to snuggle under the covers, and rub his head in my hair!  I got up and put the coffee on, fed and walked them both, and went to work at 7:15.  i would normally leave the dog run door open, but it was only 45 degrees out and I thought it was too cold for them.  They had the run of the house.  When I got home at about 1:45, I heard no barks from the house.  I opened the kitchen door and Flash was lying on the floor like he was asleep.  He didn't move when I called him.  Peanut ran in the hallway.  i started screaming, and my son ran in the room.  He had just gotten home from school. (I am so glad that he didn't find him first, it was his puppy.)  I dropped to the floor and tried to shake him, but he was cool to the touch already, and his legs were getting stiff.  When I picked him up, I noticed he was damp underneath where he was laying on the tile.  I thought that it was sweat (forgetting that dogs don't sweat like we do), but realized later that he must have urinated on himself, even though it didn't smell.  We grabbed both dogs and rushed to the vet, but she said he was definitely gone. She said that it was probably a heart attack or stroke, but we had gotten his teeth cleaned a few times and his heart seemed fine on their charts. I asked about an autopsy, but it was $1700.00, and my son said it wouldn't bring Flash back.  It is just killing me because I don't know what happened.  He threw up a little Saturday, but ate, pooped and etc. fine. He had a sensitive stomach,, so we fed him and Peanut prescription dog food. He was also very high strung;  I always called him my "typical Chihuahua" because he was a bundle of energy, and he never wanted to sit still until it was time for bed.  Then he would sit in front of you and stare, until you went to bed with him and Peanut.

I wish he wasn't alone when he died, he hated being without people.  I worry about Peanut being truly alone now that Flash is gone,.  All I want to do is hug and hold Flash again, and give him kisses on his head.
This morning I took Peanut out for a ride in the car just to get out.  He has been looking for Flash for 2 days now.  He has started to sleep on Flash's bed.  I don't want to leave him alone, he is so sad.  I can't stop crying either.  I have been kicking myself wondering if it was something I could have done OR if it was something that i had done.

Lynda, I too wonder if it is something I could have done.  I took bot dogs to the vet at least 2x a year.  Flash had allergies and I sometimes gave him benadry when he was itchy or sneezing.  . I gave him one Saturday or Sunday night, i can't remember which, it is all a blur.  What if i gave him an ibuprofen by mistake?  They both look the same, but one is orange and one is pink, and I took both that night b/c I had a headache. Would one tablet have killed him? i can't believe I am even thinking these crazy things.  Then I thought well, maybe he choked on something or ate something outside that poisoned him, but I know that is unlikely.  the vet said he didn't look like a dog that had been poisoned. He had no blood or vomit around his mouth.  His tongue was between his teeth but he hadn't  bitten it.  Even his eyes were a little opened, just like they were when he slept. He looked so peaceful and calm, it is hard to believe he is gone.

Peter, you may have to think about a new dog for Franky.  I know that I will too, so Peanut will not be so lonely.
I miss the howl that Flash gave every time the phone rang, and Peanut's barking at him for it!  Now he is just laying on the dog bed.

I am so sorry for all of your losses.  Thank you for liste.ning to me. I feel like I lost a child.  I know because I have had many losses in the family these past 2 years I don't know what to do.
Theresa in New York

Theresa in New York
Hi Theresa, I'm sorry for your loss and have difficulty in responding since it all is too raw for me.  Franky is still very quiet but at times shows more energy than before. I spend as much time with him as possible and take him with me in the car whenever possible.  

We are thinking of a new companion for all of us, perhaps another Wheaten.  Rufus was special to all of us.  He was his own personality, a bit domineering but that's what made him loveable.  We'll pursue this in the spring of 16 but won't right now because of other commitments.  Take heart and I hope things become easier for you and Lynda too.  

PeterinToronto
My dog, Gill, died suddenly also.  He was fine and had been to the vet a few weeks earlier. I went for a walk with him earlier in the morning. I sat down with him at noon and fell asleep. I have never taken a nap in my life.  I woke up around 3:00 PM and Gill was not beside me.  I called him and he didn't come to me. I looked around and he looked like he was sleeping on the floor.  I went over and petted him.  His eyes were open and looking back at me like he does most of the time.  I felt his nose and it was cool and moist, but he was not breathing.  I turned him over to do CPR.  He had a huge amount of clear fluid coming out of his mouth, but no dark or blood fluid.  Gill was a blue merle Australian Shepherd and had blue eyes, so I could see his pupils easily.  He was gone.  I am devastated without him.  He was my best friend and my family.  Gill was my proof that there is unconditional love.  I will miss him for the rest of my life.  I had a dream a few days ago though that was very calming.  I dreamed that I was walking and came to the end of a road.  There was a man there with so many dogs of all kinds and all sizes.  I asked where? He said, "This is Heaven."  I said, "I am looking for a dog named Gill."  The man told me that Gill was still working and was watching over me as usual.  He said that I would need him to be there for some future
event-watching from up high.  He said some people aren't people and some dogs aren't dogs.  Some are  angles unaware. Gill is your angel and he still has work to do, but he will be here when he is finished  with his job..
Hi. First of all I would like to say how sorry I am for your loss. I truly understand what you are going through, as my black lab Molly died 6 weeks ago! She was my first dog & I miss her so much. She went with me everywhere, when I went for a shower she would follow me in the bathroom and lay down and wait for me, she loved being in the car with me & she would get so excited when we went for our daily walk. I now feel like a big part of me is missing. We still have 2 much younger labs but molly was my first dog , although I adore the 2 boys  things will never be the same without her &  I mostly keep it to myself  but I am struggling to come to terms with the loss. everyday is a constant reminder of how things were.
I also have the guilt of deciding  to have to put  her to sleep even though we know we did the right thing for her, its the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I do take some comfort knowing Im in the same position as many other pet lovers & I know you good people will also understand how horrible it is.....
My friends dog died at 12:20am yesterday.   Right after the New Year began.  

Was coming in from peeing.   Fell at the door.  A bit of poop.   Couldn't move his back end.    We got him inside on the couch.    He cried a little, whined a little.   Straining for something.  Breathed hard a bit.  Pooping, no vomiting.   His body was so tensed, I thought he seemed in pain.   Within 5 minutes he was dead.    

Massive stroke or heart attack?   I'm off to find more answers.  
I found you guys through a search for answers.   Sorry we are all here, but glad I'm not alone.  
I am so sorry to hear your friend lost their dog. That was a very sad start to the New Year.
When you say he was "straining for something", and "His body was so tensed"...was he very very stiff, with his neck and head arched backwards?
If so, that could be a sign of Strychnine poisoning. In some places, Strychnine -so I have heard -is still used in poisons for some pests such as moles. I thought it had been outlawed years ago as it is such a terrible poison to use.

(P.S. I am sorry if this posts twice. I can not get used to the new format on the forum.)
My beautiful boy, Joey, died Sunday, Dec. 27.  He was 8 and a half, and I thought he would be around for several more years.  He was fine one day and gone the next.  For a couple of nights, he had been chewing on some Christmas tree ornaments.  Must have been bored during the night!  I didn't think too much of it, because he would usually chew stuff and spit it out.  The morning started with him not eating, not even his treat, which was very unusual.  He just drank water, and as the day went on, got more lethargic.  When we got home in the evening after a family Christmas dinner, I noticed dark streaks of blood on the rug, and quite a mess under his tail. I knew then we had to rush him in.  His back legs buckled as he tried to pull himself along.  The vet said either he had internal bleeding caused by eating rat poison, or some other auto-immune illness that would come on quickly.  My feeling is he must have eaten the ornaments, which cut him on his insides;  He was my first dog ever, a Maltese mix, white with big brown eyes, my companion.  He was always there beside me, and happy to see me come home.  It was absolutely horrible allowing the euthanasia, but I didn't want him to suffer.  The vet said he wouldn't have survived the night.  The next day I thought I would collapse when grocery shopping, I miss him so much!  I had no idea this would be such a heart-wrenching experience to say good-bye to a beloved pet, and so fast.  What I would give for just another day with him!!
This morning I lost my baby girl doggie, Dixie.  She's one of three we have; a black lab/golden retriever mix, copper colored and short hair like a regular lab.  Very beautiful and so sweet.  
Last night we went out for pizza, not gone very long.  She was her usual self, happy to see us when we got home, wagging tail and jumping around. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.  The last thing before my husband came to bed, he usually walks around the house and just looking around, checked the back door, flipped on the light and she was in 'her spot' on the deck, alert with her head up, just laying down checking out the woods to our west.  Very calm and not upset about anything.  He pecked on the glass in the door, and she turned her head as if to say, "I got this" and when he saw she was ok, he flipped off the light and came to bed.  Even in cool weather it's not unusual for her to sleep all night on the deck and come inside for breakfast in the morning.  When my alarm went off this morning, the other two girls were jockeying for position at the bedside like, Come on!  It's time for breakfast.  So I got up and went to the kitchen, and i didn't see her  or hear her come in.  I called for her but she didn't come.  Went to the back door, flipped on the light and she was laying down in her spot with her head down.
I pecked on the glass and called her name, but she didn't move.  I opened the door and went to her, and she was cold and her leg was stiff.  
She was nearly 9 and a half.  I cannot imagine what it could have been.  All the girls eat the same food; the same treats, and nothing out of the ordinary had happened the day or the evening before.  I'm so heart broken, I cannot stand it.