Dogs Community
Dog Swallowed String.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dog Swallowed String.

My dog ate the tail off of her monkey chew toy. It was around 3-4inches long. The other day I noticed it missing. Well today after a poop I found it...sticking out of her butt. Should I pull it out? Or maybe wait for her next poop? I looked online and a lot of people said not to pull it out because it could be tangled in her intestines.
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1271710_tn?1272857300
Oh, just so no one thinks I'm mean and neglecting my dog, I'm calling the vet in the morning weather I get a reply or not. I was just hoping someone would be able to help before morning. Thanks either way.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
lol lol.  My dogs eat everything!!!!!!! It making it to her rectum is a great thing.  It is probably not going to bet tangled.  I have just given a gentle pull if it comes out great if not wait til the next bowl movement.  I had a dog 9 months ago that when I turned my head he ate a kong toy (very expensive surgery!!)  You are pretty good that it as made it this far.  My girl also ate dock line about 8 inches of it.  It made it's way out just fine.  Honestly I would not worry too much.  What kind of dog is it?
Blank
1271710_tn?1272857300
She's a maltese chihuahua cross. She seems to have pulled it out herself, but now I can't find it so I assume she's eaten it again. Round 2 here we come.
Blank
675347_tn?1365464245
I shouldn't laugh, but......

My dog ate a small piece of string once (the string they put around chicken to tie up the feet) She snaffled it from the bag where I was putting all bits I cut off the chicken. Of course I NEVER put a bag like that on the floor any more! It was about 3" long. It came out just fine. Poor dog! She pooped, then was scooting around with her butt 6" off the ground afterwards with that look on her face "Help mama!" I gently pulled the string and it came out easily. Fortunately she ran away from it with that look on her face "Never again!"
Blank
653169_tn?1303449969
My dog has a baby blankey that she chews and every once in a while she eats some string off it.  It has always found its way out the other end.  I agree to pull very gently and if it comes out without any distress, that's great.  If the dog acts like it hurts or if it doesn't come out easily, wait til it comes out on its own or see the vet if its still there in am after going number 2 again.  It's better that it's coming out than lodged in the intestines, where it has to be surgically removed.  Good luck.  I hope the string was not eatten a second time :( poor pooch.
Blank
942557_tn?1272698419
My pekingese use to eat everything that she wasnt suppose to.We always called her bowel movements the Wonder Poop.Cause we would always be wondering what we would find next...Lol.It was always like a treasure hunt.She got a stretchy ball one day and had pulled some of the strings off of it and ate them.When she went to go poop after that there was a piece hanging out,I went to pull it out and it streched way out there.My vet really got a kick out of that.We tried to keep things away from her so she wouldnt swallow them,But it didnt do any good she would always find something that she wasnt suppose to have.She use to would go in my sons room and take his toys out and hide them for when we were not around.My son use to play with these toys called dragon balls,She swallowed one of them one time and we didnt even know that she had until i had went to my vet  for her yearly.My vet said she was fine and she would pass it eventually well after a week had went by she passed it and tried to get it again,But I beat her to it...If you are worried about her being obstructed Partial obstruction symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea.Complete obstruction symptoms are vomiting and constant stomache pain that doesnt stop and NO BOWEL movements.So you dont have to worry about that.I am sure that your baby will be fine.If you are still worried then i would give your vet a call and tell them what is going on and see what they think you should do.Good luck and Take care
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
help i went to the bathroom and my dog ate a roll of that medicle rap and im freaking out i downt wont it to get stuck in his intestins what do i do
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Dogs Answerers
974371_tn?1364538460
Blank
Margot49
Central Valley, CA
675347_tn?1365464245
Blank
ginger899
United Kingdom
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
462827_tn?1333172552
Blank
Misfits4Me
OK
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
amielynn24
1916673_tn?1388595391
Blank
tonyb286
Blackpool, United Kingdom