Dogs Community
Dog Wound

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog Wound

My dog got in a fight with other dogs and has a large open wound on her chest about the size of a childs fist.  There was no wound untill she kept licking.  I got a cone to keep her from messing with it.  The Vet gave her atibotics. I was just wondering if I should wrap it with stierl gase to keep it from getting infected, and let it breath a couple times a day.  Will this heal on its own??
It sounds like the wound is deep enough that it needs to heal from the inside outward.  If it were stitched, it would just fill up with pus and other nasty things.  Ask your vet what you can use to keep the wound clean and how many times a day you should clean it.  It may be as simple as using a little peroxide.
Its good you took your dog to the vet, i had the same problem happen with one of mine and there was a puncture that turned into an absess (abscess) so good job. As far as the wounds go i would ask the vet, like JB said if you happen to out some dressing on her to keep stuff out and you don't do it properlly then you may get stuff in the wound that will keep an infection healthy. But on the flip side if you were to leave it alone and she went to go lay on some carpet and she was to lay in some of her hair or something or pick up a fiber it could also produce iritation. Best thing to do is call a vet and ask.
Our cat had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, the bite wound became infected.  The vet shaved all the fur off his back and opened the wound to the size of a silver dollar, and told me to leave it alone and let it drain, and give him antibiotics.  The wound gradually shrunk, and is now barely noticeable.
It shouldnt be a problem to keep a dressing on the wound,But you need to let it air out some to.Your vet should carry a spray which is a liquid bandage and it seems to work really well. I use it on my bulldog when he licks his feet.Good luck and keep us posted