Dogs Community
Dog acting strange last few nights

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog acting strange last few nights

Hi I would like to know if I should get my dog into the local vet to get him check out or if he has just been scared by something.

My dog has been getting really clingy the last few nights when he normally will keep to himself.
He shivers as if cold, refuses to leave my brother or my side, and pants , yet doesn't show any usual signs of not feeling well. When I try to go to sleep he will pace around the house and act as if he wants outside.
When I get up to let him out he won't go do his business he just wanders around the hard and occasionally sits down and peers off into the distance.

I though it was my wall unit heater as he would do this around the same time my brother would turn on the heater but he left the heater on through the day to see if he continued to act funny and he stopped when morning and the outside started to heat up more.
How old is your dog?  If he is older it is possible that he is developing cataracts and is starting to have difficulty with his vision at night and it is stressing him.  During the day it is light out so he can still see without a lot of difficulty, but once it gets dark he gets panicky because it gets more difficult for him to see.  I would take him to the vet anyway to have the vet give him a once over, and while you're there he can check to see if his vision is affected at all.  When dogs and cats get older they are no different than aging humans.  Their senses of sight and hearing start to dim, just like ours do.  Cats who are affected by vision or hearing deficits as they age will often wander around the house at night and get "lost" in another room.  They will meow very loudly until a family member comes to see what is wrong and "finds" them.  Much of the time as the animal adjusts to the change in their sensory acuity the behavior lessens, but in the beginning while it is new to them or it is just starting happen it is very unsettling to them.  

Since his behavior is normal during the day I don't think he's sick, per se, but I do think that you should have a vet check him over all the same just to make sure that it's something as easily explainable as the aging process.

Ghilly