Dogs Community
Dog ate spoiled food, now sick
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dog ate spoiled food, now sick

My 5 month old Bulldog ate ham from the garbage. It was starting to spoil when I threw it away. It was a baked ham and he ate maybe 6-8 slices. Today- 2 days later he has started with watery diahrea and some vomiting. He is just throwing up water. He can keep water down most of the time but has thrown it up a few times. Other than these symptoms he is playful, seems ok. We gave him 1 tsp of pepto a few minutes ago but it hasn't been long enough to see if it worked. Is this something we should rush him to the vet tomorrow or is this pretty normal and should we give him 24 hours or so to recover on his own? Any other home remedies we can do to keep him comfortable? We are watching him for dehydration.
Tags: diahrea, puppy
Related Discussions
10 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
441382_tn?1329196690
It's not likely that your dog has food poisoning, because dogs can eat almost anything and not get sick.  Between their saliva and their stomach enzymes, no bacteria can really survive it, and coupled with the fact that dogs have a very short digestive tract (only about 8-10 hours between "in" and "out"), there's really no chance for what we call food poisoning to occur.  There's no way the ham would still be in him after two days.

What is far more likely is that your puppy is not used to "people food" and may have a sensitive stomach, and now he's paying the price for the pilfered ham.  Some dogs have cast iron stomachs and can eat almost literally anything and not get sick.  Others, like my collie, can eat a single bit of something and have diarrhea for two days.

Do not feed him while he's vomiting and has diarrhea.  Make sure he has plenty of water, but let his stomach rest for a day or so.  Then make him some rice with chicken buillon (use the buillon instead of water so that it soaks into the rice) and feed him about a cup of that and see if he keeps it down.  When Kate eats something she should not have, the upset stomach/diarrhea usually last about two days.  If he is still not right or if he gets worse, get him to the vet because it could be that he ate something besides food while he was rooting around in the trash.  

Give him some Gatorade or Pedialyte to drink to help keep his electrolytes in balance since he's vomiting, and just keep an eye on him until tomorrow.  He should start to improve, but don't give him any food at all until at least tomorrow night to give his stomach a chance to calm down.

Ghilly
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Thanks. I will follow your sugggestions. He did well last night and did not get sick anymore. He got up once overnight and peed. He got up this morning more like himself and hubby felt bad and gave him a little dogfood. He ate it and had a closer to normal BM. I'm going to keep him off all treats and food the rest of the day and try the diet suggestions you made for this evening. I think he only got the ham because hubby caught him red handed. You are right though this dog has had a sensitive stomach siince the day we got him. We go out of town and he poops all over himself (and this was soon after we got him- not attached yet) He may just be a wimp! lol. Maybe he learned his lesson. Thanks so much
Blank
441382_tn?1329196690
I'm glad to hear that he's doing better.  Unless he is one rare dog, though, chances are he won't learn his lesson.  You'll have to keep a very close eye on him to make sure he doesn't do it again, but if he does, at least you'll know that it's his touchy stomach and not something sinister.   :)

Ghilly
Blank
306455_tn?1288865671
I have 2 dogs that will eat just about anything. The Rotty actually will eat everything..rocks..blankets etc.  But for some reason, Ham upsets their stomachs. Dogs that I had in the past have also reacted badly to anything more than a bite of ham.
Go figure...Rocks are  ok, ham not so much.
Hope your baby is feeling better.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Well, he ws doing much better, almost normal. Tonight the diahrea started again today and there was blood in it. Now it is getting very watery again. I guess we are off to the vet. He had worms in Nove. when we got him but he was treated twice. Perhaps he has something else now.  Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what they say.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
my dog ate left overs in a tupperware that was a week old... He took it out of the garbage what should we do
Blank
675347_tn?1365464245
What kind of food was it that he ate? If it was spoiled meat, then, like Ghilly said in the top comment here, it's unlikely it will make him really ill. It is possible he will vomit it back up. But that's not always such a big deal for dogs. If that happens, don't feed him again for a good few hours, give his tummy chance to recover, but make sure he gets fluids.
If it was anything with onions, then speak to your vet as onions are not good for dogs. If it was anything very fatty, that could cause inflammation of the pancreas. If it was anything with splintery cooked bones like chicken, ask your vet's advice as soon as possible.

If it was just meat, if it's any consolation, dogs do sometimes eat spoiled meat and get away with it, because their digestive systems are very different to ours. It depends of course, and if you get any signs that your dog is unwell, take him straight away to the vet. If he vomits once, and then is ok afterwards he'll most likely be  just fine. If he vomits more than once, and does not improve afterwards, he may need some attention.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
My pekingese is almost a year old now and he ate ham that was very old. He has been vomiting slime the whole day and drools extremely,which is very unusual, should I consult a vet or will he be fine in a day or so?
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
The dog's digestive system may kill the bacteria.   Until that point, however, the bacteria will have been producing toxins in the rotten meat.  This is the reason why it is dangerous for humans to cook and consume rotten meat.  The bacteria may be dead, but the toxins remain, and they can easily make a dog or person sick.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
My dog just eat rotton venicin and has had diarea (diarrhea) for two days should I be worried?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
22 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Dogs Answerers
462827_tn?1333172552
Blank
Misfits4Me
OK
974371_tn?1364538460
Blank
Margot49
Central Valley, CA
675347_tn?1365464245
Blank
ginger899
United Kingdom
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
lindapalm
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
amielynn24
1916673_tn?1388595391
Blank
tonyb286
Blackpool, United Kingdom