Dogs Community
Dog cannot bark, but only squeak

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog cannot bark, but only squeak

I have a jack russell who has lost her bark and can barely squeak. About 10 days ago she continuously barked for 3 nights due to rain, thunder and lightning.  After that, I noticed that she could hardly bark and would not even open her mouth. I took her to the vet and he looked down her throat and said it was very read and inflamed.  He put her on antibiotics for 3 weeks and a regimen of Temaril for 4 weeks. She’s been on the medication for 1 week thus far, and now she attempts to bark, but the only noise I hear out of her lately is a squeak, but nothing that resembles a bark.  I called the vet this a.m. and she suggested that she was eating and going to the bathroom, that it was ok to wait a little while longer and see if the bark returned. The other alternative was to see a specialist so that her throat could be scoped.  Honestly, I don’t want to spend a lot of money at this time only to find out that it’s just a matter of time before she heals. Not being an expect, I feel that if she had something stuck in her throat that she wouldn’t be able to swallow, which she can. Can any damage that she has sustained to her vocal cords be healed with time? She’s somewhat lethargic, but I believe that is due to the Temaril because as the dose wears off, she’s much more like herself. Although she’s quite sad right now, I believe it’s because she’s freaked out from not being able to bark. Can you please share your advice with me and let me know your thoughts on this matter. If I can possibly talk with you on the telephone, I’d really appreciate it. Please let me know.