Dogs Community
Dog food, what is White Fish?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog food, what is White Fish?

I remain in a struggle to fine food that my Westie is not allergic to the protein source.  I have used a good quality Salmon and Sweet Potato Kibble and Canned.  He appears to be getting along with that - so I tried some White Fish and Sweet Potato (after looking up "white fish' and finding is sounds a lot like Salmon) and he loves the Kibble.  Maybe he just likes a change.  

In discussion with our vet a few weeks back as I began taking our dog off of a Hills Prescription Z/D which has only hydrolyzed protein she said don't mix White Fish and Salmon as she said it would introduce a new protein too soon if the dog is allergic to Salmon or White Fish, or both.  I say this in the context I had started mixing the Salmon in with his Hills for several weeks before the checkup with the vet.  

I also feed only "No Grain" a recommendation that came with the dog from the Westie show person who rescued the dog.  She told me she thinks the dog is allergic to grain.  

My question may really be:  what is your "take" or "opinion" on White Fish as a dog food?
It's a good quality protein with a lot of nutrients, but shouldn't be the whole of the dog's protein source.

I always thought "whitefish" was just that -white fish, such as Cod, Pollock, Haddock, whiting etc They are not 'oily fish' such as Salmon, and because of that may have lower levels of Omega 3.
There's something about Whitefish on a Wiki article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitefish_(fisheries_term)
Dogs usually love fish of any kind and it is good for them, but they also need other sources of protein apart form fish.

As you're struggling with an allergy problem, I guess you have to try one food at a time to eliminate the culprit?

Grains are notorious for allergic reactions. Basically, although dogs are more omniverous than cats, they shouldn't be eating too many grains.
Thanks, yes the vet thinks a protein allergy may be the driver of our dog's outbreaks of itch/yeast.  He has literally eaten the hair off all four of his legs last go around.  That was when we put him on the Hills Z/D, also antibiotic and Ketaconazole tables, maybe a steroid shot too.  His is fine and has been for months when I started trying to give him Salmon both Kibble and canned.  I mixed that with the prescription dog food of which he is now out of.  

I/we have no idea how long it takes the Yeast to break out, but I have ongoing treatment with regular ear washing (he gets real greasy looking stuff deep in the ear channel in a few days) and using a prescription ear drops a couple of times a week.  I have just tried to expand his dog food to include White Fish No Grain.  As I said the lady who rescued our dog from a sure death at the Jersey City Animal Control office said she thought the dog was allergic to grains. She battled yeast infection in him with the help of a vet and prescriptions for several months before she put him up for adoption.  I use Keta Chor (something like that) medicated shampoo every two weeks - it has 1% Ketaconazole and another medications.  It is ofter sold only with a prescription but Walmart sells it over-the--counter  

So, in fact, our poor little guy may not have a protein allergy and I'm trying to prove it so that he can have other foods, even some bland off-the-table food.   He likes black beans and I have given him some, they have good protein too.  Green beans he doesn't like.