Dogs Community
Dog has stiff neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog has stiff neck

I don't even know where to start haha. Well i was sleeping and the dog climbed in the bed and the dog likes to sleep between my legs, Well i twisted and turned and i think i sprained the dogs neck when i was sleeping by mistake.

What shall i do to get the dog's neck fixed he has his head tilted up and limps sometimes on the front paws. Does it sound like he has a sprained neck or what? and how can i fix this problem thanks.
You didn't tell us what kind of dog - small I assume, in that case I suppose a much larger person could hurt the dog by rolling over on it, or something similar.  But, I would be surprised if the dog didn't cry out - are you an very hard to wake up?

It could be something else, and if the dog doesn't seem to be in pain I would give the dog a little time (day or two) to get better on its own... does it eat and drink water, must drink water every day, can skip food for a day without much worry beyond drawing a watchful eye.

I give this go slow advice without full knowledge of how "bad" the dog looks.  As always best to take the dog to a vet and get a hands-on diagnosis from an expert.
Please, get your guy to the Vet ASAP.....Don't let this go....It sounds like a herniated disc in his neck...The sooner you see the Vet, the better.....Let us know what you find out....Karla
Karla is correct.  Your dog needs to be seen by a vet ASAP because if he sometimes limps it means that he does have pain, and if he is holding his head at an odd angle, there could be some serious problems.  You don't want to wait and end up with him having nerve damage.  Please let us know how he is.

Ghilly
Well ive woke up today and the dog doesn't have a stiff neck but the dog is now pulling its back legs with its front paws, i don't have the cash to go to the vet so i don't know what i am going to do for the dog as in helping. All i can say is i pray the dog gets better.
I am trying to find a vet that would take payment plans but i doubt none in my area would considering they all want cash up front. The dog is dragging his back legs with his front paws now and yesterday he was all fine with walking and today he isn't i have no clue what to do and the vets all want money up front and i don't have $$ to pay for the vet visit + getting him fixed i will try finding a vet tomorrow morning as it is 8:35PM and the vets are closed but i doubt the vets would help me in any way, considering they want the cash first. Anyways i just hope he gets better real quick.
The Disc/Disk has ruptured causing the paralysis.....Call your local SPCA or Humane society and they should be able to direct you to A Vet that will work w/you.....Either of these places may also have a Vet on staff that can help......Until then, please google IVDD (Intervertabral Disc Disease) and read everything you can.....

You might check into Care Credit Online.....Most Vets and surgical centers accept it as a form of payment.....It's a credit card for animal and human medical expenses...You then pay the card back a little at a time if needed...You can apply online.......Karla
Well i have found a vet that takes Care credit and they said i have to leave the dog over night so they can do an X-Ray on him and to call in the morning for the results. They have stated that the dog may have a swollen disk that is why he can't walk on his back legs because the disk's could be swollen. If all goes well the disk would be swollen and he shall be fine with rest and healing + steroids to be fixed.

Should dog's even be using steroids? The doctor said that it would help the dog if the X-Ray's don't show anything like a ruptured disk and it would lead to a result in a swollen disk. They also stated the dog may get a ulcers if they use steroids but they have a anit med to counter the ulcer.

Please pray for my dog's safety and hope the dog only has a swollen disk then of a ruptured disk.
Great news......Yes, Steroids are the first line of defense for disc disease.....Get the stomach meds., too if you can...They help alot! Strict cage rest is a must for 4-6 weeks with only potty breaks (Carried out and back in)...This CAN be done if you follow the rules.....Good luck and let us know.....Karla

P.S. Again, google IVDD and read everything you can...It will give you a better idea of do's & dont's......
Yeah my dog is part chi that is a disease them dog's get alot according from IVDD from google.
Any updates? Let us know when you can...Thanks