Dogs Community
Dog is losing bowel control

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog is losing bowel control

my Lab is about 9 years old and started pooping as one said like a horse as he walks along.  We noticed it some time back and it's getting worse.  He has started even losing it when he sleeps.  It's almost a daily occurance.  We took him to a vet and they did blood work and said he was fine.  Is it common for dogs to lose feeling back there or is there another possible explanation?
I would think your vet would be more help to you. There has got to be an underlying condition causing this. 9 yrs old seems a little young to be having issues with this. I have never heard of this at that age-though it is not possible. Maybe you should see a different vet. Other than the poop issue how is his overall health?
I have a 9 year-old shepherd with the same problem. Contrary to the previous comment, 9 years IS senior for a larger dog. My guy has a combination of arthritis in his lower spine and hip dysplasia. Neither are very severe, but my vet says that as he ages, these conditions cause a loss of muscle mass in the dog's hind quarters. This loss of muscle also means a loss of muscle control - hence the loss of bowel control. There isn't much that can be done outside of diapering the dog. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I walk him about an hour after he eats so he'll poop outside and hopefully not go while he's sleeping. That seems to be helping a lot as far as indoor accidents.

Hope this is helpful to you.
I have a 12 year old choc lab with the same hip and poop problems. All I can say is thank heavens for dry dog food!! He is otherwise healthy and not heavy for his size which helps the hip problem. He loves to back up to me when I am on computer and have me massage his hips.  His accidents are mostly in his
sleep about 4 in the morning.  It is obvious he feels bad about it so I have never given him heck over his problem.   Have had success feeding him most of his food
in the morning and just a small amount later in the evening.  Try to give him lots of time outside especially immediately after he eats.
My baby is a Great Dane/Lab/German Sheppard.  He is now 14 1/2 years old and is experiencing the same issues.  We are so lucky that he is a healthy and happy senior dog.  This problem is manageable in that I have paper towels and spray-cleaner in every room.  I keep the back door to our fenced yard open as much as possible to allow him easy access.  I am fortunate that I am working from home and can be will him 24/7.  I try to clean up immediately after the accident.  He is so embarrassed when it happens. So, I keep saying "good doggie" as I clean and pet him as much as possible.  I limit his diet to ONLY senior dog food and doggie cookies.  He is such a good boy and has given so much to me since he came to live with me at 8 weeks old.  Making him as secure and comfortable now is the least I can do for him.
Hello, you are not alone. My 13 year old Samoyed/Lab has arthritis in her back hips. As she walks along she is dropping feces. When she sleeps she has a bowel movement and does not even know it.  She is on Remedyl and a pain pill for her arthritis. She is such an amazing girl....I never get mad at her, just clean it up and give her love. I think her time is limited with us right now. Makes me sad............
They are losing control of their muscles as they grow old. For a lab 9year old is already very old. Large dogs usually age faster than small dogs. You may choose a dog food that is packed with the right amount and type of protein for his mass and for him to regain his control. http://CannedSeniorDogFood.com
My 13 year old pug has been doing the same thing. The problem I am having is that he has always slept in the bed with me. He has had bowel movements in the bed about once a week and although I don't get upset with him, I personally can't handle waking up to it anymore. I have no idea how to retrain him to sleep in his dog bed. I don't know what to do about it. Any tips?
Put a dog bed on the bed? Since he is a small dog.