Dogs Community
Dog keeps dry heaving?? SOS!! ASAP!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog keeps dry heaving?? SOS!! ASAP!

I didnt really notice anything today wrong with her. But just as she went to get water from her bowl tonight she started to dry heave and i was like....okay? so i freaked n poured some more water as i sceen that the water was near gone. She went to drink some more then she began to drink more n it did it again!!!
Whats wrong?
Why is this happening?
Is she okay?
What should i do??
Is it serious?
Tags: Dry, dry heaving, water, SOS, WHY, what ??, Dogs, help
Is this the same dog you posted a question about weight control?  

In any case the dog may have something in its throat - but must be able to breath.. is it still choking, now 6 hours since your post?  If yes, you need to get the dog to a vet.

I would not worry about a dog drinking "too" much water.  I suppose it is possible but unless it is associated with some other issue (illness) let them drink all they want.  Bloated sides would suggest no more water, to think of one reason - I recall a neighborhood dog that loved to have the garden hose squirted into it.  It wold open it mouth and gulp the full force spray - we'd stop because the dog's sides would start to expand from all the water.  This was not a regular game, more a hot day a squirt the dog and then realizing we had to stop because she was drinking too much water. So it is possible.
Hi thanks for your reply. Well she started to drink water again..it wasn;t that she was drinking to much water before but just seems like too fast. Though i feel she is just having the heaves because of asthma.
I have no idea how asthma in dogs is handled.  Do you have any medication to reduce symptoms... like human asthma I suppose there is no cure.  Medicine has come a long way, but has a long way to go to be a fully effective science.

Sorry I lost the question on the water drinking sidetrack.  

The fact there has been no other reply on this very active a knowledgeable Community suggests dry heaves not very common - as you said it may be a side effect of asthma.  Asthma is a subject I have seen mentioned in other threads.  Perhaps a thread with a subject linking dry heaves and asthma will produce some useful experience.
Don't let her gulp down too much water at once especially after eating. A little drink...then let that go down....then another small drink....on like that until she's drunk enough. Dry heaving can sometimes be a symptom of Bloat, especially if the dog is restless, pacing, can't get comfortable. Bloat is a raging emergency. It is more common in deep-chested breeds, but CAN happen with any dog. Gulping down food/water too much at once especially after exercise, can start it off.
The stomach twists on itself, and needs emergency veterinary care.