Dog moaning while just lying down
Hi, I have a ten year old black lab/springer spaniel.  About two months ago she started moaning a lot while she was just lying down.  Sometimes it is loud enough to wake us up at night.  It really does sound like she is in pain, and she is not the type of dog to ever whine or cry, she is very tough.  Prior to this, the only time she has ever cried from pain was when I accidentally closed the door on her tail.  It's not a constant moan, but somewhat frequent throughout the night or in the evening when we are watching tv.  

While upright she appears fine and not in pain, she plays and runs as much as usual, so much so that people still think she is a puppy even though she is over ten.  

I've been to the vet probably ten times in the past six weeks or so.  She's had multiple xrays to see if she's swallowed anything and to check her organs.  Everything looked fine in the xrays, the vet said the 'wall' of her liver may appear a bit thin (I believe that was the wording used).  She has had all her blood work done and everything came back fine.  

Of note, she had pancreatitis when she was younger and the test for that came back fine.  They also did a liver function test where she fasted, had blood work, ate, then later had blood work taken again and it was fine.  

Her joints all seem fine when the vet works them, just in case, we started Cartophen injections just over 4 weeks ago and have not seen any improvement yet, so thinking it does not have to do with joint pain.  

As per food, nothing has changed, she has been on Medi-cal gastro from the vet since she was about four.  In case it was a 'bad' bag that started it, I bought another bag with a different production code on it and started that, no change.

Any advice anyone else has or if you have experienced a similar problem thank you for the help.
Hi. That's good news (no not good news, but good that you have a diagnosis). I am wondering why this wasn't seen in the original X-rays you had done. Tony
Well, because Chase never exhibited any signs that he was having pain in his leg or hip, but instead he wasn't eating, wasn't drinking, was doing nothing but sleeping and whining and groaning--we didn't do x-rays of hips/leg.  When we initially saw the tonsils I guess it just threw us all off track.  

Doc did do the drawer test for ACL on the very first visit last Monday and Chase didn't bat an eyelash. He also manually checked his spine, his hips, etc. on each visit and again, Chase didn't indicate any pain at all.  Yesterday, however, he actually 'snapped' when Doc did the drawer test.  Why the sudden change I'm not sure.  I'm relieved that we know what the issue is finally but the diagnosis of the both ACL and hip dysplasia is disheartening to say the least.
Hi again. Yes, I understand your concerns, but maybe this is a situation best taken one step at a time. Once the tonsillitis and pain is sorted, then there's plenty of time to look at options. Do you have insurance for Chase's health? If yes, then at least any costs involved won't be a huge concern and it opens up other possibilities. If not, then much will depend on your financial circumstances as to what might be the best route to take. As a fairly young dog, some issues are best sorted while Chase is relatively young. Tony
My 13 year old female lab mix is going through the same thing and almost all of the moaning is while she is awake, laying on the floor.  A lot is when she rolls over on her side and at night when she and I are settling in for the night.  Otherwise, she has just slowed down and seems in no distress.  My vet said these are moans of contentment, a term that I never heard of before.  She is diabetic and her hips have subsequently lost a lot of muscle mass but other than that and age, I am at a loss but concerned about the moaning.

Digger's Dad
Hi. I have never heard a vet say a dog moans out of contentment. Due to the age of Digger (I'm making an assumption about the name based on your post name tag) and her diabetes, this is something that does need investigation. Has your vet taken blood for analysis? It is certainly worth checking kidney function, particularly as she is diabetic and because you mention her moaning when she rolls onto her side.

You are right to think there could also be a hip issue. Has the vet undertaken X-rays to check for hip problems? Is she on any other medication, such as pain relief meds?

Tony
So many of similar stories, its very concerning and mind boggling.
8 yr old choc lab, normally happy, full of life, healthy eater, normal routine, strict diet with glucosomine chondroitin.
About 6 mos ago, started the moaning, whining, groaning. He does it when he is standing, looking at you, laying down, getting up, even sleeping. He did put on some weight but this all started before the weight gain.
At first, we thought he wanted attention and we would say "aawww, come here you neglected puppy" and laugh it off. But this behavior is regardless of attention or not.  He growns and whines no matter where you pet or rub him.
Vet checked him out and said he was fine. OUR CONCERN is even more amplified after reading some your posts and diagnosis. In the 3 yrs this thread has been up, there is NOTHING exact to pinpoint.
One thing I have thought of, the dog food, treats and toy recalls for our pets last year. All products were coming from China. I can't help but wonder if the tainted items that weren't caught, managed to get into our dogs. Just a thought. I read labels even more so now.
Hi. If your choc lab has had bloodwork and other appropriate tests at the vet, then I think this is something best to observe and perhaps keep a diary about - write down the time of day he moans and groans, whether standing or sitting or lying down, the time you fed him and what was given. This kind of information may prove useful to identify a pattern. It would also be good to repeat the blood tests in about 6 months time, to see if there are any changes. Even slight changes may indicate the start of something - and the sooner treatment can begin for some illnesses the better. If you are concerned about dog treats given (particularly if they are associated with the Chinese jerky problem), let your vet know and - for further info - have a read of my piece on it: http://tonybooth.hubpages.com/hub/Dogs-Are-Dying

You might also find this of some value: http://www.infobarrel.com/Is_Your_Dog_Allergic_To_Its_Food

Hope he stays okay. Tony
I think the and moans and groans come with aging, nothing to be concerned about. I do it myself and feeling my 61 years. Jack is 13 years 6 months, a mixed breed of golden retriever and something similar. 60 pounds, loves food and water, will waft back and forth while my hand is stationary just to get a rubbing in. He gets our daily newspaper at end of driveway too. Loves his life and groans while laying down. We have something in common: aging. I think aging signs present with arthritis (not acute) brings discomfort so he relocates himself rather frequently during brief spells. Old age happens. Enjoy it since it won't last forever. Eventually we all push up daisies.
my Irish Setter Mick has started this same thing.   First time 9 days ago, went to the Vet that same day, she checked him out - all fine - did blood work up - all fine.  We went home, he did a few more moans when he laid down and then was fine until yesterday afternoon - the moans/groans started when laying down - he would stand up and seem fine tho more sluggish than his normal self - this time I didn't run to the Vet - gave him Simeth. pill, tums etc in case gas tho he has never much passed gas or had this happen before however unlike the few hours of the last time, this time lasted through the night - he kept standing up and just standing there - I kept hoping he would have a BM so put him outside for a bit,  when we came in around 3 a.m. he seemed a little better (he was also drooling a lot with the moaning) - he did eat most of his breakfast, went for a walk with us.  Hate to make another trip to the Vet, what else can they do - hate to get into X rays and the like esp if just a gas issue.  Mick is approx. 9 yrs old this year.   Carol in PA
Hi. An Xray would be the ideal, just to discount obvious issues that the vet couldn't find. One thing you could do, which may help - but it's quite difficult to do from an owner's point of view - is to starve him for24hrs. If it's a gastric problem, eating will reactivate the problem and start the cycle again, so starving could cure it. And if it doesn't, well at least that's another thing you can discount and tell the vet about it. It's difficult to starve a dog for 24hrs, particularly if you have a dog that is food orientated.

It may also be worth thinking carefully about any new foods or treats you've given him over the last week or so, as these may be a suspect to causing the issue.

It is more likely to be a gastric issue if your dog does a lot of stretching, typically with his front paws outstretched, or with his back arching. If he isn't doing this, then it may more likely be a joint, muscle or spinal issue ... which will all require further examination by the vet. It may be worth trying an anti-inflammatory (vet prescribed), which would treat muscular strain - and if that doesn't help, then it's likely to be skeletal problem.

It's good that the bloodwork came back okay, as that has already discounted some of the more serious issues.

Tony
My Lucy is an 11 yr old yellow lab. She started groaning and shifting positions and stretching her limbs while laying down about 3 months ago. She is obviously uncomfortable. I took her to the Vet right away and he discovered infected anal glands...expressed the glands and gave her an antibiotic. I waited. The groaning didn't stop. I took in a stool sample thinking maybe worms were the culprit. Turns out she had bacteria in her stools....;antibiotics again...groaning and discomfort continues. All blood work is fine.  Something that is not really new, but may be worth mentioning, is she drinks LOTS of water and pants a lot. Her blood glucose was fine. I have already spent about $600 and have no more to spend. She is my guardian angel and the love of my life. It breaks my heart to know she is in pain & I can't get her the help she needs. She does have arthritis and gets monthly adequan shots. I just don't think it's joint related. I'd be interested in an update fro.m Geha
8 year old "Carolina" dog aka black mouth dog - likely a mutt of lab and something elses has begun to exhibit sounds of groans (AND hesitation walking down stairs for 2 days) when laying around and shifting from side to side. otherwise wagging,happy/kissing, healthy, eating, passing, and passed her physical fine 2 months ago, though a few pounds heavy, as we can't see her ribs anymore after the horrible lazy NJ winter.
She does try to climb trees to get squirrels etc. and recently was favoring her right front paw/leg/shoulder as well as stopping on the way down stairs. Perhaps a torn ligament or tendon or shoulder (eg rotator cuff)?
Shows no signs of any pain to the touch, anywhere.  
She does seem a little more sleepy/lazy.
Nothing in her life has changed at all in the last 9 months - location, food, etc.
Thinking of trying exercise and fish oil, then if not change maybe some iron (if low, need to check blood report), some joint OTC supplements, pain reliever OTC.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts!!
PS - 8 year old "Carolina" dog aka black mouth dog - likely a mutt of lab and something elses has begun to exhibit sounds of groans...

She goes UP stairs just fine. And only 25% of the time does she hesitate going DOWN them over the last couple of days. She no longer favors her right front paw/leg, that was for 24 hours.

Thanks again!!
Hi I have a 14year old staffy/bull terrier who started the moaning about 4 months ago only when laying down. Had all the usual blood tests, xrays, which showed up a little bit of arthritis in his lower back.  I have started him on regular arthritis injections of cartrophen, I have also started giving him a 1000mg per day of glucosamine but it has to be the one that also includes chondroitin & msm & I also give him a 1000mg per day of fish oil, plus he has a 50mg tramadol tablet for overnight relief as this is when his groaning is worst. I live in Australia so I don't know what you have in the way of pain relief available to you but I would suggest looking into pain relief for overnight especially if you live in a cold climate.  Hope this helps.
About a month or so ago our 8 y.o. black lab started moaning and grunting when laying down and anytime she moves around to get comfortable in her bed. I know she's not dreaming because she does it while awake and just positioning herself on the bed.  When she's up, she acts normal, eats, drinks, runs, plays and no problems going up/down stairs. She does seem to snore more than usual though, but not sure if that's related to the moaning. Will have to make a vet appointment soon if it continues. Those of you giving your dog fish oil, where do you buy it and what kind of fish oil? i.e. for humans or is there a formulation just for dogs?
The best kind of oil for dogs is pure salmon oil, if you can get it. It needs to be pure salmon oil, nothing added. The problem with a lot of human grade oils is they add various things in the processing, many of which are bad for dogs. Fish oil is rich in omega-3, which has many benefits - BUT be cautious with it, as too much will almost certainly cause digestive upset and loose stools. Half a teaspoon a day added to food is more than enough. Fish oil is also available for dogs in tablet or capsule form (tends to be much more expensive though) and the recommendation is to give no more than 20-55mg combined EPA and DHA per pound of body weight. The science of this is that EPA and DHA stand for eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid respectively (even if I can't pronounce any of it, at least I've now passed this info on). These fatty acids are omega-3 fats, which are found in most cold water fish.

Tony
I am just curious how many people with this problem have any dogzilla branded chew toys. I recently bought my dog this air horn shaped chew toy and now it is as addicting to her as lets say crack would be. I found her just laying in my moms bed with this toy shaking and wimpering. I became very concern and its a weekend so i havent been able to get her checked. I noticed how everytime i would take the toy she would get up and be actively normal again. i tried playing with it with her but as soon as she gets it back she is taking it and putting it in bed with her to sleep. I would like to know whats in the toy thats so appealing. Ive now had my mom take this toy from her and she continues to cry for where she knows she smells it. this morning she took every other toy she had into my moms bed...even this big huge cow leg bone and dropped it in her facelike heres all of these toys wheres the one i want. i had recently this week found her one red ball she use to love before too, and remember i said i had my mom take this horn. now i wake up and shes laying in my bed still doing this shaking and wimpering and i now realize shes got this red ball and its dogzilla to. This is day or night tho she shakes and whines its definitely not dreaming and will play  get up and jump at you for the dogzilla toys no problem.
No dogzilla here....soon to be 8 yr old LAB (yes) 120 lb monster of lean handsome....took me like 5 hours to read all of this.  

went to vet because of this new moaning, also had some allergy issues (ear infection I couldn't control with Zymox, new dome shaped nodule on his head)  We have a history of spindle cell carcinoma from 2011 which we beat

He is NOT a vocal dog.  Can step on his tail with little response.  Refusal to jump in the back of my SUV was a companion of symptoms.  Suddenly this heavy sigh/groan while laying down and can continue on and off while he is awake and laying.

Vet prescribed mostly allergy related meds...injection of steroids and antibiotics with tresaderm and oral prednisone and cepha.   Cleared up allergy stuff almost immediately but groaning morning persisted and I noticed a bloated belly.

Went back on a Saturday petrified Sunday would be worse - xray shows only some gas in small intestine section.  Got flagyl from a young doctor which I got home and did not believe in...his rational being an overgrowth of bad gut bacteria.  picked up some infant liquid smithicone on the way home.  2mg doses so about a 1.5 human tab.  maybe some relief?

He eats well, voids well but sometimes lately soft and frequently pale yellow brown, walks well...but pants excessively in a 72 degree environment (with rectal temp averaging 101.6), and groans...while laying down and laying.  He can be laying in my bed and groan for 5 minutes.  Its completely abnormal.  I know its not joint pressure.

Labs eat anything.  I cooked 1lb fresh 3% fat ground turkey, 1 can chickpeas, 1 large sweet potato, 1 med white potato, baby spinach/kale mix and 1 broccoli crown (his favorite).  Threw in some probiotics - no relief.

His appetite is good frequently wanting more so on a whim gave him a raw sweet potato which he devoured.  I ttrust what he needs he eats, so he needed whatever was sweet potato.

Recently switched to Organix Whole foods brand dog food.  Going to go back onto Victor from feed store tomorrow and get a full blood panel.

I WILL for sure follow up.
Hi. Yes, this is almost definitely food related allergy and/or an underlying health concern causing this reaction. Victor is a reasonable quality food, but I'm assuming you are using a dry variety? If so, you may want to read my article about it:

http://www.infobarrel.com/Why_Dry_Dog_Food_Is_Bad_For_Dogs

It may also help to have a read of these two articles as well, as they relate to the potential problem:

http://www.infobarrel.com/Everyday_Foods_That_Are_Poisonous_To_Dogs

http://www.infobarrel.com/Is_Your_Dog_Allergic_To_Its_Food

It could well be there is a single ingredient causing this - or it may be a combination of ingredients. The gas in the small intestine and the bloated belly are symptomatic of an issue with the digestive tract. The yellow faeces are indicative of foodstuffs passing through the small intestine too fast - this may also be related to an issue with the liver, pancreas or small colon itself. If your vet has done blood panel tests, any issues with these organs should show up.

Hope this helps.

Tony
Comment for all:  My saluki of 10 years just started this two weeks ago.  Salukis are lean, relatively long-lived dogs (15 years or more).  He has been a quiet boy his whole life.  Then this began.  Just as all are explaining.  It is not sleep talk, he is wide awake.  Vet finds nothing.  No pain on palpation.  I would like to find out what everyone is feeding and where they live?  Could it be a high frequency signal causing this?  I put cotton balls in my boy's ears tonight and it did quiet him down a bit.  I was amazed when I found this thread and all these dogs who have this same issue.  
Hi. While I appreciate your desire to help your dog, please don't put cotton wool balls (or anything else) in his ears. Fragments of cotton wool can travel into the inner ear and cause serious infections along with other complications. It is interesting you mention high frequency noise, which is certainly a possibility. If this started two weeks ago, try to assess what (if anything) changed in your household. Did you, for example, switch on a new WiFi product? A new fridge or freezer? Almost anything electrical could cause a high frequency - along with many things outside the home.

Tony
Our 9 yr old labradoodle has always moaned a bit, but several months ago started to moan more often and louder.  He only moans when he lies down and seems to have trouble finding a comfortable position.  A couple of trips to the Vet and some expensive blood tests indicated pancreatitis, so put him on a low fat diet and Denamerin supplements.  Follow up test indicated his pancreas function is improving.  Also thought maybe he has Gerd, so trying famitodine but I don't see much if any change.  Arthritis in hips, so he is on Deramaxx but not all the time.  After about 4 weeks on low fat diet, moaning seems to be decreasing.  When on Deramaxx, he acts about 5 years younger but still moans a bit.  He also gags now and then for no known reason.  He has a history of eating stuff he shouldn't like plastic balls.  A couple of years ago, the Vet scoped his stomach and pulled out about 5 chunks of plastic that had been in there for some time (months).  We have tried Tramadol too to stop the moanin, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.  Reading this over, it sounds like he is over-medicated, but all meds other than the Deramaxx were added after the moaning started.  So, that makes me think it is some reaction to the Deramaxx.  Anyone else see any issues with Deramaxx?  Pancreatitis in dogs on Deramaxx?
We have a 10 year old peppered dachsund.  It always moaned when it wanted a treat.  As it got older his moans have gotten louder.  Its as if he is complaining.  He really moans if my wife puts him on the bed and goes to take a shower.  He starts howling like hes in pain.  He moans as he walks to the doggy door when he has to go to the bathroom.  He groans as he circles his doggy bed fluffing up the blankets until it is just right to lay down on. The vet takes blood tests every two weeks and hes on antibiotics because of his liver. That seems to be doing good now.  All tests show he is fine and healthy.  Except he has become deaf as the years have gone by.  We figure with illness, arthritis and being deaf somehow he learned to just talk in this manner to get his way.  He is a good dog other than this grumpy behavior.  We take him to the vet regularly but so far we have found nothing to show us he is in pain.  We can pick him up and he doesn't cry out.  We feel something must be wrong to cause this behavior but he does seem to have a good life other than this unsettling behaviour.

It just looks like some learned behavior to control us.
Hi. With such regular attention from you and your vet, it seems his physical health is being well taken care of. I suspect the whining is a mixture of attention seeking, learned behaviour and maybe some discomfort from arthritis. At 10 yrs, he is now an older dog, and aching joints and spine (very common in dachs) can be expected. Deafness can also exacerbate the whining, because he can't hear the volume he's at - and could also be concerned about the loss of sounds coming to him.

I doubt you have much to worry about. Tony
My 11 year Golden has just started this moaning/groaning and she only does it when she lies down or moves after she is already down. Seems to be when she moves her hear into different position after she has laid down. Does not make a sound when she gets up or bounces around. Have noticed that she has slowed some - like not always jumping up when we enter the house - but other times seems o.k. except for the groans - which seem to be on increase. Did your golden do this as well?
Yes my dog is doing the same, he's a groaner anyway and that type of groaning is more of a contentment thing when he's happy and being stroked BUT recently he has been making a high pitched screaming not when laying down mainly, I'm sure it's a front leg/shoulder problem so vet has put him on Tramadol but that seems to make him vomit, it's 3 in the morning and I've been up with him since midnight as threw up everywhere ( brown vomit with little bits of food in it ! Then for two hours after his breathing was rapid and he was making constant groaning noises, I don't the Tramadol is the right medication for him and will take him to vets tomorrow to discus this problem! They are such a worry when poorly, if only they could tell us what is wrong!!
Good luck with your dogs xx
Hi, my 9 yr old Black Lab started this groaning noise when he appears to be trying to find a comfortable resting spot on his memory foam bed. Once he is comfortable he goes to sleep and is contented. He started this towards the end of last year. I believe it is arthritic joint related and with the colder months joint problems affect humans so will affect our pets also.
this is EXACTLY what my dog does. He is a black lab/newfoundland. He's a very large dog, around 140 pounds, and is the most stoic dog I have ever known. However at night, he moans very loudly whenever he changes positions or just lying there. I know that hes not sleeping because his eyes are open, and it just sounds like he is in tremendous pain. He's not dreaming or frustrated, he's just on the couch awake, moaning when changing positions or wakes up and moans then falls back asleep. I'm always worried about it so I get him excited to go for a walk to see if he has hurt himself but he gets right up as joyful as could be instantly, and walks/runs just fine. Then, when we come home he's back at it again when he decides to lay down. I didnt know if his joints or bones hurt or just something is not right because his moans sound miserable. If a human moaned like he did it would be "uuuughhhh" "UUUUGHHHH" (sorry that's my best description of it).
Our dog yelped once due to pain from pancreatitis, not something they normally look for because the blood test is expensive.  Put him on a low fat diet (expensive food) and it cleared up in 6 weeks.  But, the moaning continues.
Our labradoodle started groaning some time ago, a little at first, then more and more.  Now, every time he tries to re-position himself while lying down, he groans loudly.  He was diagnosed with pancratitis, which is now cleared up but the groaning goes on.  Barium upper-GI, no problems detected.  Extensive x-rays, all normal for a 10 year old dog.  His weight is good.  He is on Deramaxx for hip pain.  Tried Tramadol for any other pain, but no change in the groaning.  (I've used Tramadol and it really works well on my pain.  Numb from the neck down).  The Vet suggested mild Bronchitis and Pharyngeal paralysis as possible issues, but nothing definitive.  The groaning goes on despite all the investigations and meds.  Spent several thousand on the old boy so far with no real progress.  Oddly, be seems to prefer the hard, cold tile floor instead of a dog bed or sofa.  He has a few lumps, but Vet not concerned about them as yet.  
Looks like this mystery will go unsolved until a smart dog somewhere learns to speak human.
Hi, an update on why my Lab was groaning. How wrong was I thinking it was his joints etc. A couple of days later I noticed his anal gland was swollen so took him to the vet and his gland was emptied. Not easy as he was crying in pain when the vet went near him. Two days later I noticed he had a red infection on his anal gland so took him back and was prescribed Loxicom for the infection which has worked wonders and Noroclav for the swelling. He is like a different dog since and has a good restful sleep. The infection is clearing and his groaning has stopped.
Further update: Took him back on Tuesday as a follow up to the infection treatment. Although the infection has almost gone I have been informed he has a tumour on the gland. Quite annoyed as I think this should have been picked up when I first took him almost 3 weeks ago. He's having the tumour removed next Friday the 13th.Good job I'm not superstitious!!
No wonder he's been moaning and groaning.
I now realise if he's moaning/groaning then he's doing it for a reason, so please don't ignore it by passing it off as cute.
Further update: Since making the appointment for the surgery to remove the so called tumour/anal gland I have been checking his anal gland and noticed both the swelling and infection has cleared. When I took him to the vet yesterday for the surgery I asked the vet to check again before operating as I didn't want him to suffer in any way by having the gland removed when it wasn't necessary. He sedated him to have a proper look and it would appear he has still got some infection but no tumour so he has prescribed him Antirobe. He will be on this for the next week and will be monitored closely by myself. I hope this will cure the infection completely and he will be my healthy old boy again soon. As for the groaning, it has reduced significantly.
My 11 year old Old English Sheepdog started doing the "moan" about 2 mos ago.  It's a deep low gutteral sound.  I have owned many dogs over my lifetime and know it is not a pain moan.  I thought  that it is senility setting in as someone in a prior post mentioned.  In people, they call it "Sundowners Syndrome"  in dementia patients.  
I think you might be right regarding the senility. He's now moaning again before falling to sleep. He is still eating very well which I'm told is good as usually not eating is a bad sign.
My border collie has been making a grumbly noise on and off for a year or so. It usually happens after she has lain down to go to sleep but before she is actually asleep. However it will sometimes start if she is lying there waiting to go out for a walk and I sometimes wonder if it's a protest of sorts. On these occasions she will actually stop doing it if I tell her. It's something in between a snore, a grumble and a moan! The vets can't say whether it is linked to her poor liver/kidney health and chronic bronchitis. Otherwise she is quite lively and agile for her age (14) and shows no sign of joint pain.
She used to sleep on the bed with me and now no longer wants to do this - don't know if it is linked. I've tried different dog beds and arrangements to no avail. It keeps me awake at night and I worry whether she is in pain but she looks settled - ie not making an effort to get comfortable like I do with my bad back!
Quick update
I swapped my dog's deluxe soft bed with very firm cushions from the sofa.
So far we are both getting the best nights sleep we've had in ages!
The noises have 95% stopped.
Hello Suzedq and all.  I hope my post helps someone else.  My beloved 9 year old Golden/Lab mix Buddy started groaning while lying down about 4 or 5 months ago.  Since he had prior knee surgeries, we attributed it to arthritis pain and pretty much ignored it.  Three days ago he collapsed and we took him to the hospital.  After an ultrasound, and surgery to try and save him, he died. It turned out he had bloody fluid in his abdomen, from bleeding tumors on his spleen and liver. The groaning all those months was from abdominal pain from the tumors, which were compressed when he lay down.  Others please don't bury your head in the sand like we did hoping it was nothing serious.  I will never forgive myself for this.
After several months of my 9 year old black lab groaning and on occasions thinking I had found out what the problem was which all turned out to be false, I took him to the vet today for his annual vaccination. The vet did a health check and has advised me it's his joints. I am already giving him Glucosamine and Condroitin for quite some time on a daily basis. The vet has now given him Loxicom for any inflammation.Hope this helps him.
I am interested in your tumeric comment.  How did you give it to your dog?
My dog moans and it sounds like she's crying she's a dotsado part poodle part Dotson about 4 pounds over weight she's been doing this for a long time I walk her she's very active and is very depressed when she's inside the house no matter how cold or hot she wants to go out she wants to play and doesn't want me to sleep and she's 6:years old tosses and turns all-night goes from room to room until she does fall asleep then. she's good for 10 hours she's very possessive and doesn't  she wont Leave my side and I'm not
Able to play or take her out for long walks she's a small dog and holds her stool untilmi do take her out and then poops about 6 times no lie she won't go with anyone but me
HI Geha,

I came on here for the same reason & saw your post right away.  My 13 year old black lab moans & moans & moans.  The older she gets the more she is moaning & wide awake, not dreaming.  No painful wimpering, just moaning loudly.  She doesn't seem to be in pain but how do we know since they can't talk.... She has had all of her shots and been to vet recently, blood work is all normal.  I honestly have come to the conclusion that she is just old & she is just going to do that.  So frustrating not knowing exactly why.  We have given her some pain meds as well but no change. I changed her food to all grain free & she also gets the fish oil in her food.  Still moaning.....  If you find out anything at all about your dogs moaning, please pass on the information.  

Thank you,
Sclenae
Sclenae, You sound like a great dog mama. Keep up the good work. I'm on here for the same reason. My boy was adopted from Taiwan in January. Now he is moaning when laying down. Eats grain free food. Loves walks.
My IS is doing the same thing.. Vaccines were almost a yr ago and she's only a yr old. Did you ever figure it out? She just started it.
My 13 years old yellow lab is displaying the same symptoms.  I've tried almost all of the same treatments.  All to no avail. How very frustrating. It is worth noting that this thread has been active for 6 years (9 Apr 2010).  
This seems to be popular amongst achy old dogs, my 11 yr old lab, Monty is doing all the groaning, everyone describes in this thread. He does have a plate in his hind leg, ruptured cruciate but he groans both sides laying down and when he shifts over, we think it's arthritic pain. He's a little weak in his hips and occasionally falls over if he's playing and suddenly moves backwards.

Anyway, I'm going to give this a go, see how he is

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/healing-with-turmeric-golden-paste-for-dogs/
My terrier-mix dog is almost 13 and has been moaning and groaning for a few months but as many have been saying is otherwise healthy (except for the usual eyesight/hearing/lump issues that senior dogs get) . It stresses me out because it worries me so much trying to figure out if it's mental or physical. I keep asking the dog if he's in pain...like he can answer me.  Finally giving in and taking him to the vet in a couple of days.
Any more updates on people's grumbling dogs? I've got one here, not even 8 year old yet, border collie, male, fine as far as any check-ups have gone, no sore limbs, he still runs like crazy on the beach, eats his food, apart from a bunch of weeks ago, when he did not want to eat or drink anything, and then the grumbling as described by many of you started. Before we go through all the testing and Xraying and find nothing wrong like most of you...
Anything new?
Hi have a11yrs old black Lab and he's on medication for his pain in his front shoulder bless him. And he's  been on Turmeric for the passed 3mths i give him 2 capsules twice a day but he still moans and groans but am still going to keep on giving them to him. Am going start fish oil as well. Got him booked into the vets on Monday see what he's got to say. Will keep you all up dated.
I'm looking for answers to this same question. I have an 11 yr old basset. For the past few months he's been sounding like an old man with really deep moans when he'slying down. He doesnt make any noise when he first lays down, but once he gets there and starts relaxing and getting himself more comfortable, the moans and groans start. Then they continue anytime he changes position. But, he does fine standing up, and he is still active. I have had to give him some muscle relaxers and pain meds over the last 3 months, but even with those he sounds uncomfortable. It is such a deep moan, too. Like the rest of you, he I s healthy in other ways, and he is already on grain-free food as well as fish oil. I hate thinking it is most likely discomfort.
Sadly I have no answers to add to this thread and only more questions. For several months my 6yr old dog (a Heeler/pit mix) as been moaning/growling/barking constantly. At first we thought it was for attention, but it kept growing, we'd ignore her or put her in another room till she calmed down (not wanting to reward that behavior), but it just keeps going. louder when we pet her, barking when we don't with a playful growl (growling like when she has a toy) she barks at her food and growls while she eats it, and moans all the rest of the time, walking, sitting, laying down. It's driving me nuts! The vet has done battery of tests (blood work, liver tests, joint and even an eye exam); tried various avenues of medication to no avail. It was suggested that it may be something neural, but to really know I'd have to see a specialist and get an MRI, which even with my dogs insurance is a lot of $$.
It has recently been postulated that it may be anxiety (I've moved about four times the last three years), so she's been put on Prozac and I know those take months to really see results, it's just so heart breaking to sit through knowing something is going on and I can't help her. She's been on this new medication for about 3weeks, and there's still now change...
Low-pitched moans are very common in puppies and are signs of contentment. Puppies moan when they are in close contact to their littermates, their mother, or their humans. Another sound of contentment is the sigh, usually accompanied by the dog lying down with its head on its forepaws. When the sigh is combined with half-closed eyes, it communicates pleasure; with fully open eyes, it communicates disappointment: “I guess you are not going to play with me.”
Although considered signs of distress, whines can also be used to communicate happiness and excitement. The difference is that a whine used to communicate distress rises in pitch toward the end of the sound, whereas a whine communicating excitement either drops in pitch toward the end of the sound or does not change in pitch.
Similarly, there are growls that are not used as warnings or threats but are used to communicate play. Such growls are noisy and medium-pitched, with no low rumbling (like that heard in warning growls) and no signs of teeth.

Found this whilst doing some research ... Also going an article about growing pains.. Hope this helps
I understand this is a very old post, but I will go ahead and answer here for new readers. From last three days a stray dog near my house whom I feed started moaning while lying down and with his eyes open. The answer that I got after I got him checked is that he has CCD canine cognitive dysfunction which is common in older dogs. You guys can Google the rest. I hope it answers most of your concerns. I'll be getting him treated for now and wait for the results.