Dogs Community
Dog moaning while just lying down

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog moaning while just lying down

Hi, I have a ten year old black lab/springer spaniel.  About two months ago she started moaning a lot while she was just lying down.  Sometimes it is loud enough to wake us up at night.  It really does sound like she is in pain, and she is not the type of dog to ever whine or cry, she is very tough.  Prior to this, the only time she has ever cried from pain was when I accidentally closed the door on her tail.  It's not a constant moan, but somewhat frequent throughout the night or in the evening when we are watching tv.  

While upright she appears fine and not in pain, she plays and runs as much as usual, so much so that people still think she is a puppy even though she is over ten.  

I've been to the vet probably ten times in the past six weeks or so.  She's had multiple xrays to see if she's swallowed anything and to check her organs.  Everything looked fine in the xrays, the vet said the 'wall' of her liver may appear a bit thin (I believe that was the wording used).  She has had all her blood work done and everything came back fine.  

Of note, she had pancreatitis when she was younger and the test for that came back fine.  They also did a liver function test where she fasted, had blood work, ate, then later had blood work taken again and it was fine.  

Her joints all seem fine when the vet works them, just in case, we started Cartophen injections just over 4 weeks ago and have not seen any improvement yet, so thinking it does not have to do with joint pain.  

As per food, nothing has changed, she has been on Medi-cal gastro from the vet since she was about four.  In case it was a 'bad' bag that started it, I bought another bag with a different production code on it and started that, no change.

Any advice anyone else has or if you have experienced a similar problem thank you for the help.
Tags: moaning, Pain
I may be far off the mark here, but could she be dreaming?
My dog makes the strangest noises when dreaming sometimes: howling/yipping/ and sometimes letting out a long moan which sounds terrible. I don't normally wake her from a dream, but if on the odd occasion she does wake, she is always her normal self.

That's just a thought. It may not be that at all.
Since your vet did a very thorough workup, my guess is this is a frustrated dog dreaming out loud.  I had a dog very like yours who started howling in her sleep around the same age.  Very scary stuff there!  

As it turned out, she needed proper exercise outside her own territory.  Once I started a daily walking program, she calmed right down and we all slept in silence again.  If you already walk your dog daily, you may need to add an extra one.  Can't hurt - might help!
Dogs can be incredibly vivid dreamers! Whenever I watch a video about wolves (particularly wolves)  my dog often howls in her sleep afterwards!! She hears the howling in the video, and it carries over into her sleep. I would love to see what dreams she's having!

Jaybay has a good point. Most dogs need challenges as well as exercise in the day. They need to problem-solve in one way or another, and the more intelligent they are, the more they need that. Walks in new territory are an interesting thing for them. Extra mental stimulus.

And most healthy dogs need more exercise than humans are normally accustomed to!
To be a five-mile-a-day (or even more, if necessary)person is almost obligatory with an energetic healthy dog around. However, even a happy, healthy, well loved, well exercised dog may still have vivid dreams. As long as you are sure they ARE dreams, and nothing else can be wrong, then a pair of earplugs when sleeping at night will come in handy!
Thanks for you response (and sorry for my delay I've been away from internet access).  

I guess my original post may have been slightly misleading.  I don't believe it is dreaming as it also happens in the day (we just notice it more in the evenings as she is lying next to our bed).  She will let out big moans and groans shortly after just lying down if she is shifting positions (just rolling slightly while on her side) as well as just lying there.  I am confident that she is not asleep.  The evening moaning is more of a concern as I believe whatever it may be wakes her up.  

Any more ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  The vet has given me a generic pain medication which I started yesterday to see if it eliminates the moaning, if so, we will still be exploring as it will prove it is pain related.

Thanks.
Right, I see. I did assume you meant it was just when she was sleeping...
That is a good idea, to give her the pain meds, if the moaning stops, then it is most likely pain related (or pain/inflammation-related, if the meds are also anti-inflammatory)
Then I suppose the vet will run a series of tests to find out the cause of her pain.
I hope it is nothing serious, and the mystery is solved. If it happens to be arthritis, then a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement can work wonders.
I hope things work ok for her.
My dog does the exact same thing after laying down or sleeping. She is a bichon/terrier mix.  When I try to explain it to someone or to the vet they all say she is probably dreaming. I know she is not. She first starts letting out little whimpers and then it escalates into painful yelps. My other dog even runs to her aid. When I try to move her she freezes up. Shortly after she is fine and alert and will run and play like nothing was wrong so she doesn't seem to be in pain. I am going to try and video record her next time this happens so that I can show it to my vet. It doesn't sound like it is common so it's difficult to explain to people who haven't seen it before. She isn't dreaming..I know this for sure!  
Hi,  Well I've had her in to see a specialist now.  He said it does not appear to be pain because she is not in pain the rest of the time or when he moves or touches her anywhere.  They did ultrasounds etc. and could not see anything.  His best guess, was that she is starting to go senile.  The only way to test for this he said was to give her medication which takes months to work.  I have started to give her fish oil with her dinner (which I picked up at my local health food store, they had one for dogs).  This appears to have helped the moaning slightly, but that may just be in my head.  It has, however, made her much more alert and to begin acting and doing some of the things she did years ago that I totally forgot (and this was after only a few days on the oil).  For an extremely active dog, it has made her even more active and happy, which I like, so I am going to continue with the fish oil and give it some more time.  Might be worth a shot for you to try as well?  Good luck, I'll try to remember to keep you posted in a month or so.
I too had a black lab, that dreamed very loudly and frequently. She would moan, cry, twitch, and even run in her dream. I can't say for sure this is what it is, but it does remind me of my dog.
I have a 7 year old male Irish Setter and he suddenly in the last week has started doing the exact same thing.
He had his yearly shots last week and was put on an antacid for megesaphagus that he has had since he was 1. And at the same time I changed his food to a Herring/adult formula. Same brand just different flavor. The moaning started a week ago, he is not in pain and not asleep. He runs and jumps fine and goes for walks normally but when he lays down he moans, a very low deep moan not a yelp in pain and will moan off and on when he changes positions. I have stopped the antacid in the last 48 hours with no change and am changing his food now to see what that does. If it is not either then it has to do with his shots. Did your dog have anual vaccinations before it started or has a history of acid reflux or megesaphagus?
Hi Smithheat,  My dog had regular vaccines but has no history of acid reflux or meesaphagus.  She still does it, it seams to be less than before but more after heavy activity days which still leads me back to arthritis but I've been told from all the scans that it is not that.  We have begun to get 'more' used to it.  Has your dogs appetite changed at all?  Do you have to encourage him to eat his food?
Hi there, no Homer does not act any differently than before. He has always gagged and had digestive issues but they have been under control. This "moaning" just started one day and hasn't stopped. It is so strange but he does not seem to feel bad and is extremely active but is not showing any signs of pain or weakness. No loss in appetite either. He kept me up all night three nights ago and again last night with constant moaning. It is very strange. I want to take him to the vet but it sounds like your dog and mine are doing the same thing and you didnt have any results from all your vet visits.
Keep me posted please as to how your dog is doing and if you ever find an answer and I will do the same.
My dog is doing exactly as yours.  He is a ten year old Chessie and the moaning is day or night when he goes to lay down.  He also moans when in bed while moving.  He had pancreantitis at two and we just went through about 2 weeks of antacids. Going in tomorrow for xrays of the neck.  Keep us updated.
We have an almost 13 y.o. black lab mix. She often lets out some grunts and groans when she first lays down. We see it as a sign of contentment. She has a good life. Sleeps in the house, an acre of property, a pool to cool off in, trips to the dog beach, canned food and we keep her inside when its too hot or when it rains.  We don't worry about her grunts, she's been doing it for years.
hi i have a chocolate lab i got him when he was eight weeks old.he just turned a year on oct 29 th but he has been moaning from day one that i got him .buddy has been to the vet several times  he is in good shape  .and it seems to happen only when he is trying to find the right position  for him to go to sleep.think of it this way when we as humans are trying to go to sleep  we toss and turn  and start to get pissed.i think that is the dogs way of getting it out.don't  worry to much your dog has been checked by a vet many times over . i wish you luck with everything..
hi, our rottweiler lab mix started a couple of weeks ago to do the exact same thing. She is 11 and still runs around and plays like a puppy, but when she lays down she always goes chest first and then groans with a very deep voice. The vet found out that she has a bladder infection which is now treated with antibiotics but she is still making this noise when laying down. We are concerned that she might be in pain even though she seems active and happy besides that. Do you have any updates regarding your dog? Did you find anything that could cause her to groan? Did you think of muscular aches and tried massage?
My son's 9-yr old Samoyed was also moaning and complaining upon laying down.  The vet told my son it was either hip dysplaysia or some type of kneecap problem.  In her case she ended up with four surgeries to repair a genetic defect with her kneecaps.  Previously she practically had to be carried up/down stairs!  Good luck!
Hi geha, I was wondering if you found out anything about your dogs moaning? We have a 9 y/o Lab mix that has moaning for a few weeks now. It started just when she would scratch at her ear, which she got meds for.  Then she started to chew at her back end, got some antibiotics for that but the moaning has got worse. She moans every time she lays down.  She's still her normal self, running, barking ect.. Just moans when she's still.  
Sounds like it's pretty much the same thing you dog does (with out the chewing).

Grizboy
My lab/beagle mix (7 yrs) has been occasionally moaning for almost a year now.. Over the past month or we hear it more often. The only time he does moan is when we are in the car, mainly when i brake or accelerate. (i know that sounds weird, but we finally pin pointed out the point in time when he does do it).. I really don't think it is car sick or anything, because he will make the sound once we reach the 1st stop sign, which is about a 5 second drive from the house. He does have a large bed in the back seat, that he lays in, but wither he is in the front seat or in his bed, he moans most of the time when i am at a red light and then i press on the gas.. and i am not flooring it at all.. Then last week, i was scratching his belly kinda rough housing and then he totally yelped, which he never ever does unless, some stepped on his tail or something..soooo I am talking him to the vet today, hopefully to do xrays or something..
Our dog, a five-year old black lab, kept us up most of the night moaning.  She did not want to go outside, need water or food.  I was concerned because it is a sound unlike any we have heard before, but she seemed fine (she has always dreamed, grunted etc. this is different)  She did have a big play session at the river yesterday and could be sore from that.  We also just changed her back to higher quality food--Salmon, so it could be adjusting to the food.  I am observing her and hope that she is okay.  It sounds very similar to other posts so please let me know if you discover anything new or your dogs stop moaning.  Thanks!
Our dog, a five-year old black lab, kept us up most of the night moaning.  She did not want to go outside, need water or food.  I was concerned because it is a sound unlike any we have heard before, but she seemed fine (she has always dreamed, grunted etc. this is different)  She did have a big play session at the river yesterday and could be sore from that.  We also just changed her back to higher quality food--Salmon, so it could be adjusting to the food.  I am observing her and hope that she is okay, that it was temporary discomfort.  We are also tired and want to sleep.

Our experience sounds very similar to other posts so please let me know if you discover anything new, ways to make our dogs more comfortable, and/or your dogs stop moaning.  Thanks!
this is very interesting. We have an 11 year old shepard that all of a sudden out of the blue one day just started moaning. He will moan when he is settling down and then will randomly moan with or without movement. I have noticed that he hesitant to go up/down our hardwood stairs more but once I turn the light on and talk to him, he is fine. he is eating and doing his regular daily routines normally, jumps up to go after our cats and will still barking and go crazy if someone is walking down the street with their dog or is at the door. It is driving me crazy because I feel like he is in pain but oither than the moaning, he seems fine. When I palpate all over his body, nothing produces any pain- Well, hopefully someone will come up with what it is and we will allbe reassured that it is nothing serious!!
What type of food are you feeding your dogs?  My son's dog just started whimpering as well.  She is fed Canidae (sp?).  I pray there is not another bad batch of food going around!
Our 4 year old goldendoodle has been moaning off and on for over 2 years.  She has been to a specialist and has had every test imaginable.  When we pet her, the moaning stops.  At times, she has difficulty getting up, and other times she will limp for a short time.  Her only abnormal lab test was the ANA which is high.  This shows some kind of inflammation, but we don't know where it is coming from.  She was predinose for 4 months and she seemed to feel better, but it wreaked havoc on her body.  She gained a lot of weight and her back legs became weak.  She is on fish oil and glucosomine/chrondrotin now.  Lupus was suggested, but she has no other symptoms.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  We are stumped and she is the most wonderful dog.
penny2910
My dog is 9 year old chocolate lab. Recently he started moaning while laying down. He was vaccinated recently and has had his annual check up and everything was fine. He doesn't seem to behave any differently, hasn't lost his appetite and is still active. Not sure if I should take him to the vet again. Somebody suggested fish oil. I will try that.
If somebody finds out what could be wrong please let us know. It seems that other dogs have had the same problem.
Wouldn't it be nice if they can talk.
My dobie moaned alot when, she layed down. Asleep or not. After months of vet bills I, now know the problem. It, was two problems. the, first was asthmatic. The, main problem was she had gain wieght over the years and the pressure of the weight was causing her to moan when, she layed down. My, dobie didnt moan when, outside running walking or, whatever. She has lost five pounds and, she is improving. She has ten more pounds to lose. The vet said sometimes, only a couple of pounds over weight can do this.  
I have a 16 year old Lab/Collie mix that in the past 2 months has really started moaning/whining a lot.  It is starting to drive my family crazy because we dont know what is wrong.  We just had her at the vet yesterday(preparing to make the big decision), and the vet said that for her age, she really looks good.  In the past year, she has lost serious muscle mass in her back legs and hips, and is having trouble getting up sometimes, but all in all, is ok.  She has a little trouble walking on the ice, and gets knocked over by my corgi sometimes, and needs help getting back up.  We have to keep them seperate when they go down the stairs cause she tries to keep up with him and falls up and down the stairs.  All totally normal stuff for an old dog, but the moaning is getting concerning.  She has always been a lumpy old lady, but nothing the vet is worried about and he monitors her lumps and bumps.  When we brought her to the vet yesterday, we found that she had an anal sac infection which was very unexpected.  After the appointment, I stayed at my moms house with her for the day, and she slept all day, no whining.  I made a joke of saying "as soon as i leave, she is going to start whining again".... and she did.  I have always had a close bond with my pets, but we have been living seperate for well over a year and there have been no signs of her having seperation anxiety from me.  I have her on fish oil, glucosamine/chondrotin, thyriod pills, and now an antibiotic for the infection, and starting her on Metcam.  A few weeks ago, I had my mom give her metcam when she fell outside and was sore.  She was like a puppy again for a few days, running around, playing.  So we have started that again, and will continue it daily for the rest of her life, but it doesnt seem to be making a difference this time around.  My mom is very worried that she is in pain, but our vet doesnt seem to have the concerns.  I know she is getting old and sore, but i am worried something else might be wrong...
I have a 8 year old husky/shep mix male who started groaning when he laid down about a year ago. I thought it was sounds of contentment, but it has gotten worse. Now, he groans every few seconds when lying down, and whether awake or asleep. He does have hip displaysia.

I have him on fish oil, glucosamine and a steroid called predisone (for another disorder, but it is an anti-inflammatory). Clearly the combination is not working. Based on what I have read here I am making another appointment.

Someone brought up food. I have him on Nutro dog food and the refrigerated rolls of meat made by Nature. I also feed him chopped vegetables and olive oil as part of his diet (to offset the effects of the steroids).

We live in the Pacific Northwest, where most of the time it is damp and cold - not good weather for a dog with hip displaysia. I cannot put him on Metacam because it does not mix with steroids, but I wonder about aspirin. It was good to read this, because now I realize his groans could indicate a more serious issue.

My 10 yo Golden retreiver started doing this a few months before he lost his battle with Cancer. I thought it was a contentment thing as he only did it when actually in the process of lying down. He slowed down a lot in his last few months which I attributed at the time to his age. I thought he was just slowing down as he grew older. Unfortunately Darcy passed away suddenly on Christmas Eve after being diagnosed with Cancer the day before. It was only the week leading up to Christmas that he displayed any other signs of something being wrong (lethargy and went off his food 2 days prior). In his last two days, his flanks suddenly became swollen past the width of his rib cage due to the tumors on his Kidneys, bladder and spleen. I now wonder if the grunting had something to do with pain he was experiencing in the flank region as the Cancer (unknowingly to us) grew and took over. It would make sense as this area would be compressed by the movement/action of physically lying down. Im sorry to throw a negative spin on this, but its definitely worth being cautious and aware.
My 8 year old black lab has been moaning when laying down for about 6 months or so.  We also couldn't figure out what the problem was, took him to the vets several times, they told us he was healthy.  Then about a month ago while out walking him he collapsed on the sidewalk.  We rushed him to the vet where they did all kinds of tests and he has been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma.  It is a cancer of the blood vessels the spreads rapidly.  He had his spleen removed that night and is currently doing good but he still moans when he lays down and when he tries to get into a comfortable position while laying down.  I'm not saying that all dogs that moan have cancer just that I would recommend pushing the vets for ultrasounds and other tests to rule it out.
I just wrote this, but it disappeared.  

Is it just me, or does anyone notice that most of the moaning dogs are Labs or Lab mixes?  I also noticed some "deep chested" type dogs too.  Just a thought.....
Well you have a lot of comments.  First its not dreaming.  It is obvious she is in pain.  My oldest labbie has started doing this same low moan-- sigh sound due to her hips hurting.  It just may be part of her end day process.  Give her an aspirin *with food* and enjoy her.  I don't think spending a lot of time and her time left in Vets and tests is going to help her.  

Sometimes we just have to bear with the fact that our dogs get old and their bones hurt.  The Glucosomine Condroitin is good for joints as long as its not cooked into the dog food- which makes it pretty useless.  A walk, keeping them lean, decent food, a nice pad so they don't have to jump up to lay down, a raised dog bowl if they are tall dogs etc. All this will help them be comfortable as long as possible.
I think a lot of Labs and large dogs are inclined towards hip and bone issues.  All large dogs are at risk.  Thats why it is so important to give them daily fish oil- keep them thin and exercise them.  The Gluco- condroitin is great too.  

The thing a lot of people don't realize is labs are very stoic.  They don't yelp when in pain. Unless its quick and serious like a tail in the door.  They have to be in serious trouble to yell or scream like a lot of other breeds- so you get the low pitched moan and low level sighs and whining your mentioning.  Got to love em!  Hugs J
My 10 mo old lab has always been a quirky eater, sometimes not touching food or water for a day or two. Over the past three months he started crying loudly when he would start to eat. He would also "dance "around his food from side to side. We have not changed his food.  He is active and healthy but around the time he stared with this strange moaning behavior before eating, we also noticed he no longer chews his food.  He swallows it whole. Today he threw up three large piles of undigested food.  Any one else have this problem
Hello & welcome.....Has he ever had a Dental? If not, he needs to have a Vet check his teeth.....EVERYTHING your describing, points to either an abscessed tooth, periodontal disease, infection, broken teeth, etc. All are extremely painful! Have you ever had a toothache? Ouch!!!
Something is not right with his mouth....Maybe something is lodged in his mouth & he can't eat.....A vet needs to have a look before your dog quits eating all together!

Any of the above listed will lead a dog to not eat because it hurts too bad......Please, have his mouth evaluated ASAP....Good luck and let us know what happens.....Karla

My 7 year old collie cross has been groaning when he lies down. I took him to the vet a few months ago as he had an episode when the groaning was on going for 20 mins. The vet advised me that he had pulled something and gave him a painkiller injection, this seemed to have done the trick and for the last few months I've never heard a single groan from him at all....until tonight. He is doing the awful noise again every time he lies down. He is taking his time to lie down and when he puts most of his weight on the carpet that is when he groans. I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow as I feel he is doing the groaning due to pain rather than a sigh of relief. He is eating and drinking normally but I did notice tonight he did not have any bowel movement which has now made me think something is possibly blocked, some friends have told me to give it a few days and wait and see but I hate the thought of him being in pain so I would rather be over cautious than allow this to go on for months and months like other people seem to have done.

Hi, I'm Matt... My 3 months old or so puppy is lying down and is just closing his eyes and moaning very silently almost all day.  The only time she gets up is when it's mum breastfeeds her. I pity the poor thing. The puppy's mum is aiding her always. Can someone give me advice? Thanks a lot.
Matt~~~~ What is it? A he or she? You referred to both....This puppy needs to see a Vet ASAP....What your describing is NOT normal for a 3 month old.....He/she sounds very ill.....Please, get him to a doctor to be evaluated.......Good luck, I hope he turns out OK......Karla
Matt....Can your dog not eat food? She's too old to still be nursing....If he/she cannot actually eat, you need to have your Vet help you decide what is best for this puppy....

She sounds as if she is suffering and it's not fair to let it continue.....Please again, get he/she to a doctor.....Karla
Sorry about that, she's a she. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go to the vet and get her a check-up.
Hey Matt~~~You might try soaking (In water) some dry kibble....Let it soak a while & make a mush out of it...Put it in a bowl and see if she might eat it that way.....She needs to eat some real food at that age.....It wouldn't hurt to try it......

Thank you for taking her to the Dr.  Please, come back here and let me know how it goes...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both....Good luck, Karla
My 9 year old golden retriever/lab mix began moaning about 2 weeks ago.  She does this mainly at night but I do hear a few moans during the day, especially when she first lays down.  She is very active and does not seem to have any trouble with any of her joints.  She still bounds up the stairs and will play fetch with a ball longer than I can keep throwing it.  I was worried so I took her to the vet last week.  After an exam and some tests, the doctor found nothing wrong but sent me home with Remadyl.  I gave it to her for two days but the moaning continued.  I called the vet back and she said to wait and watch for any other symptoms.   I read all of the posts here and I do not think that it is her teeth.  She has no problem eating and she has her teeth checked and cleaned at the vet regularly. If anything develops that might help anyone here, I will let you know.  Best wishes...
PLEASE only resort to any type of steroid treatment like cortisone & prednisone if your pet has life threatening condition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even only a short course can cause horrid side effects many of them serious, just as it does in people, these can be far worse than the complaint the pet has.
Steroids are an extremely serious drug to be treating anything minor with.
If you love your pet please just do a little research for alternatives but remember just because something is natural doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. There are many herbs etc (too many to mention here) that as good a job if not better than some man made medication, some are mentioned in the posts above, some medicine from drug companies also  contain herbs etc so just find out what you're giving them. Reducing the frequency of innoculations after the full first year round is also beneficial depending on your area & also flea treatment, use it only if you have to.
However NOTHING contributes more to having a healthy pet than knowing their parentage & going to a vet that has an open mind to alternative treatment, many now unfortunately just toe the line for Drug Companies. There has been an incredible increase in cancers, autoimmune diseases, skin diseases & others in all types of pets with chemicals being the leading suspect for this increase.
Of course nutrition, exercise, love & being part of your life is the best lifestyle you can provide any pet, after all they do deserve it. Rarely in life apart from family (most anyway) do we receive such unconditional love & friendship than we get from our pets.
All the very best, whether you have 2 or 4 legs.
I can't believe what you all have been posting!  It's like youwere reading my mind.  I have a 12.5 yr old shepherd / huskey mix that started the same type of grianing about 2 weeks ago.  I originally smiled thinking that it was utter contentment but now I am concerned.  It only seems to happen when she is lying down or changing positions.  I don't seem to be able to replicate the moan by palpating when she is standing.  Her stomach has been an issue for the last year so she is on Tylan and very low dose steroid. For her food I cook chicken, rice, carrots and green beans. so I don't believe it is food related. She also gets a multivitamin. A couple other observations:  She seems lethargic, She did vomit all of her food twice in one day and some water during the day but the vomitting quickly subsided, she has a lot of gas (ahhhh) but the oder is unusual.  Almost like a new born baby!  I have also noticed occasionally a slight moan or wheeze upon exhale when lying down.  I am concerned.

I am going to call my vet tomorrow but it is certainly reassuring to know that I'm not crazy or over reacting.  Everyone else thinks I am unnecessarily worried.  Do any of your dogs have these other symptoms?
HI Everyone,

My situation seems to be a bit different but still the same as most of these posts... I have a 1.5 year old very active Chocolate Lab named Larry. Within the past week he's started whining only during the night. At first it sounded just like the noise he makes when he is standing at the door and needs to go out for a pee but to our surprise when we got up to let him out he was laying on the floor. I then thought maybe he's sleeping and having bad dreams but that didn't seem right because he was consistently moaning, not like when he's dreaming and sure enough I took a close look at him the past few nights and he's wide awake when he's moaning. During the day he is 100% himself, very active, eating normally etc. Until the end of the day when he seems to be exhausted, he's so tired that I can't even wake him up to goto bed at the end of the night (I think this is because he's not sleeping at night anymore). I have checked all of his paws and the pads on his feet, i've bent is legs, rubbed his belly, have looked in his ears and I get no reaction from him, everything seems normal. I would be curious to see if any of the older posters figured out an answer to this problem? Oh and he is on Acana Pacifica Food and we give him Salmon Fish oil daily. No change in his diet or his routine at all. Please help!
I hope my case is an isolated incident...my 10 year old Rottweiler groaned for a few months and I just thought it was cute...She was a "talker" and it didn't seem that unusual to me.  The reason I looked this topic up is that she suddenly collapsed and died this weekend.  I am just crushed as she never left my side and was my best friend.  I can only guess that she had a heart attack.

She was energetic like a puppy...We went for a mile walk every day (as per her demands) and nothing was out of the ordinary except for the groaning.  She would let out a groan when she would lay down or shift positions...definitely not dreaming or asleep.  

I don't want to scare anyone...I just wish I had the opportunity to get her checked as I thought she was the model of strength and health. It never even occurred to me to take her to the vet for the groaning...You all are great moms and dads.

I am just left with so many questions...and I have no idea if the groaning contributed or had anything to do with her passing...but if given the chance, I wish i had the opportunity to take her in to get checked one last time.
I am so sorry to hear of your dreadful loss, you must be totally devastated!.  My dog groans the same and has been doing so for some time.  He is a Rhodesian/Irishwater Spaniel cross and I think I need to get him checked out.  He will be 10 in December, and is a little overweight - so it could well be to do with that.  Thank you for sharing your story with us and I'm sure your beautiful Rottweiler is still at your side..... bless her.  Lots of love, Denise xxx
Sorry this is really long. I tried to shorten it but it just got longer and now because I'm typing this it is getting even longer. I'm going to shutup now...

My dog does the same thing. She is a 9 year old Labrador/Border Collie mix. It seems most of these posts are about Labs or Lab mixes but that could just be because it's a very popular breed. Right around Christmas Angel started showing symptoms. Three vet visits later she was diagnosed with Masticatory Muscle Myositis. Also called MMM, it is an auto-immune disease that effects the muscles in her face and neck that help her chew and open her mouth(The mastication muscles). It can make it hard for her to open her mouth and the muscles in her face have shrunk so parts of her face look sunken-in. The treatment is Prednisone which I have taken because I have 4 auto-immune diseases but apparently it works differently in dogs. Even though it doesn't do the same thing the pills are exactly the same and we already had some at home. The steroids worked and she seemed to get around better, perked up, she could open her mouth okay, and the muscle in her face came back. We slowly tapered her off of the steroids. These past 5 months have really aged her. Ever since she got sick she groans when she lays down or shifts positions. She never did this before she got sick. It is not when she is dreaming or sleeping but as she is laying down. She also licks her legs. She's always done this but never this much. I was thinking maybe she was licking her legs because they hurt but she doesn't act like she is in pain when you touch her legs. If it were hip displaysia or arthritis wouldn't it hurt when you touch her legs? Her body has changed too. When she lays down sometimes she is in weird positions that look very uncomfortable. She was laying down and it seemed her hips stuck out a lot but I have not seen them like that since. She still groans whether she is laying normal or not. She started showing symptoms of MMM again so she is back on the steroids. It isn't the steroids doing it because she was groaning before she took them and after stopping them the groaning continues. Most of the time she gets around fine. When she first gets up in the morning she is a little stiff but when she gets going she is usually okay. Whatever it is making her groan isn't being fixed with steroids. If anybody finds out why your dogs are groaning when they lay down please post. It seems like a lot of us are having this problem. So far I have not found anything that helps.
UPDATE: Blood tests did not find anything unusual. The X-rays look okay too. The vet thinks it's just old age and her legs ache. When Angel scratches her ear she makes a moaning noise too and at first I thought it was her ear but when you scratch her ears she doesn't do it. I think it's just hard for her to move her leg like that. Also, when she gains weight it puts more stress on her legs. The steroids make her eat more so she gains weight. She never moans when she is standing, walking, or running. It is always as she is laying down or shifts positions while laying.
I've just started noticing my 7 yr male Rotty doing the same thing. He lays down and moans, then while laying down he'll moan once in a while as well. He's not sleeping, I spend all day with him and know when he's sleeping. I've noticed a lump under his left jaw upon a close inspection. I think it's time to go to Davis. Any suggestions as for what to ask for?
I have a 7 yr old Ridgeback who began moaning a few months ago, also, only when lying down.  He has normal energy, still exercises and loves to play, but groans and moans loudly whenever he lays down, both during day and night.  He also changes position often, as if he can't get comfortable.  He sleeps on our bed and couch, so hard to believe it's because of a hard floor!  We have taken him to several different vets, had xrays and ultrasounds, bloodwork, and no one can figure out what is wrong with him and says these symptoms are unusual.  I was suprised to visit this site and see so many others have the same problem.  I have been told to wait, and that these just may be early signs of something that they won't be able to determine until later, but find it heartbreaking to think he is in pain....Any updates from you would be appreciated!
i will tell you now if your dog does it only when sleeping he or she is dreaming and it could be an intense one so what i do because my dog and cats do that too i just comfort them quietly and rub her back and she wakes up. its kind of cute when you think about it. or if she is awake during the day and lets a sigh out it means shes bored and lonely and wants company. good luck!
Both of my mix breed dogs have suddenly started to moan. Like others have said, when lying down only. Not while sleeping. Very active daily, sleep pretty much wherever they want. Eat a normal amount of store brand dog food. *can't afford better* they just moan.
Sheri
I looked up groaning in dogs and found this website. My dog (a 4yr. old Greyhound) started groaning about a month ago.  At first I thought it was because he was in pain, but as several others mentioned, when I check out his legs and body, (and teeth) no complaints from him at all.  He groans when he lays down (frequently) and several times while laying on the couch. Sometimes he will wake up from sleeping, stretch, groan and go back to sleep or shift positions, groan and settle again.  I'm inclined to think it's possibly muscular, as I have several bone/muscle issues and I moan and groan whenever I get up/down and shift in bed too.  His yearly physical is coming up and I will be mentioning to the vet, but I hope it's nothing serious.  We've had two other Greyhounds previously, one died from liver cancer, the other from osteosarcoma on his front leg. The funny thing is neither of them made this groaning sound at all during their illness that our Rufus now makes.  He also has had no change in food, daily routine (which I try to change up now and then to keep it interesting) or any other usual circumstance.  I really hope it's nothing serious.
My 14 year old golden retriever/cocker spaniel mix is having same issues. For the past two weeks he has been whimpering in the evening. We had x rays and blood work. Two years ago Toby was laying down and wouldnt walk so we ran blood tests and they mentioned "Lupis" and they said it would come and go. After they treated him that time it didnt come back until now and it's not the same. He is normal during the day but cries at night (im not currently working so I am with him all day). When I took Toby in this time to a new vet (we moved) she only said that he had an infection but couldnt see where it was coming from. Xray showed nothing to speak of. He did scratch his ear - he has always had ear problems (cocker spaniel in him) but he has never cried from problem with his ears. He does have problems with his back legs getting up and down for the past year (so we have him on the dog food with Glucosomine Condroitin) . Only recently has he started crying. We came home with two different antibiotics and rimadal and tramadol. After the 10 day antibiotics were up he was still crying. We went informed vet same problems she wanted to run more test but after just spending money on 4 medications, bloodwork and x rays I needed to wait. We got eardrops with antibiotics and steroids. Toby has always experienced allergies as well so I have been giving him benadryl in the evenings to help him get to sleep, but I still worry and want to find out why he is crying. In all the posts above I didnt see anyone mentioning that the dogs walked or paced around alot when whimpering. IF anyones has more information or updates. Please advise. Thank you!
My female Lhasa Opso is 11.  She woke me up 10pm yelping twice.  She then became disoriented, did not know who I was, didn't answer to her name. She also seemed to be shivering.  I took her to the vets and he checked her blood, urine, body,eyes, ears and all seemed ok.  The second night the same thing happened, but the third night, she slept thru the night, but didn't seem herself in the morning.  She is eating, going to the bathroom, but every so often she will yelp.  If I try to touch her she will yelp. My vet thinks she is having small seizures.  Right now I am just watching her and if it gets worse, I will call back to the Vet.  Does anyone else seem to have this problem with their dog.  She has always been active and alert.
When I found this discussion, I thought to myself - YES! I'm not crazy! The symptoms are the same...

My 5 month old lab mix pup Riley started whining last Tuesday when I got home from work. She normally whines when I get home from excitement, but then stops. She didn't stop. As someone said, she gets up from one spot to another as if she can't get comfy. And moans, low and drawn out - until she falls asleep. When she wakes up, it's like a wave from her nose to the rest of her body, she stretches, and starts whining again until she falls back asleep.

She had Parvo a couple of months ago and beat it, and now the poor thing was just diagnosed with Distemper as a twitch in her left eye has developed along with the moaning (she had what they thought was dog flu a few weeks ago). I've been to 3 vets, and they say, well - the moaning doesn't seem pain related, more annoyance, maybe it is neurological and part of the Distemper. That makes some sense, but she seems to moan more when I'm around, although she'll do it alone too. I want to know what all the previous posters found out, because she is obviously young so I'm assuming joint issues wouldn't be a problem.

She had the Newcastle Injection via spinal tap for Distemper yesterday, and after she came out of the anesthesia she continued to moan! The twitching we can live with but the moaning is so sad, and is driving everyone up the wall. I feel like she wants me to help, but I don't know how.

If anyone finds a diagnosis with these symptoms, let us know!!  I am desperate and if she can make it through distemper it would be nice to not have to run a battery of tests to find a needle in a haystack. Parvo and Distemper treatment is so expensive. I say she is the most expensive pound puppy ever!
Hi all,

These posts are so similar! I too have a lab and she is 11 yrs old.

She started moaning a few months ago adn I think it is due to the arthritis.

Can anyone recommend painkillers?
Hi Penny,

Our 12 year old lab is riddled with arthritis and has been on regular (very expensive) meds for years (Rimadyl). A couple of months ago we started giving him Turmeric, a herb with a very strong anti inflammatory effect. This really perked him up and we have cut back on the Rimadyl significantly. Its nice having a puppy again.
How are your dogs today? My Irish Setter who is now 8 has been moaning when lying down and changing positions for over a year now. No other issues with him. It seems to be a bit more often now but as before no change in energy, appetite or bowel movements. No obvious joint pain or any other issues. He has gained a little weight with his age and had his teeth cleaned recently and has no issues there. It is still a mystery to me. Have either of you had any new developments?
My dog has started the moaning thing also day and night but worse at night. Its not dreaming lol, believe me I know when he is doing that..he runs in his sleep and barks (mouth closed). But the moaning has me very concerned and so far we haven't figured it out. I did however come across a post about Cushing's disease and my dog does have several of the symptoms but I don't know if it can cause a dog to moan. Its not listed as a symptom. Here is the link if you want to ck it out http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html
I just started giving my Boxer baby asprine (2-4 crushed up and in a small ball of bread) once every 12 hours is the suggested time line. I don't know as yet if it is doing any good however...its been about 20 min and he is now sleeping peacefully so may be its helping.
As soon as Boo woke he started moaning so the asprine is helping as yet :O(
Will ask the vet about the Cushings disease today if i can get him on the phone.
Sorry I meant is NOT working (asprine). Anyone know how to delete a post when you need to make corrections?
Hi guys... Lots of replys to this, but most of you have digressed onto moans an whimpers, my yellow lab last night started crying like she had been shot.!! Took her to the vet after the 2nd episode 11:30 pm and she got a thorough check over from our awesome vet.. Nothing.. No breaks or fractures temp was fine as was lungs an heart, but at 04:30 the crying started again( an it is proper loud crying) then as before she lay there quite unresponsive  for a few minutes an then back to her puppy like self, I was also asked to video an episode if possible. If anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated..
Add us to the "mystery of the moaning dog" list,,Our choc lab (lab again) Chucky suddenly started deep moaning about 3 weeks ago  for no apparent reason,,,same story as the rest of you,,If this wasn't so serious and upsetting it would be funny only because so many of us are totally clueless about what is causing this moaning that seems to have just appeared from out of the blue,,,i will check back to these posting eagerly awaiting to see if anyone has solved the mystery of its cause,,,p.s. we have 3 dogs,only one doing this is our lab,,they all eat same food,beneful salmon
How much do you wanna bet each of us, whose beloved fury little four-legged friends are all displaying similiar behavior...are forgetting the obvious? Sadly I am ashamed to admit I do not exercise my large do nearly as much as I should....admit it ya;ll....thus I know the guilt I feel for her excess weight! Duh - They are moaning and groaning for the same reasons we are! Fat, lazy and outta shape.with a full belly and too comfy to want to move!
My Aussie started moaning two weeks ago .He is 11 and I`cant under`stand why he is doing this .And then I found this site.He acts like a pup most of the time....What can this be?
It has been a while since this thread was started, but my beagle/terrier mix is the same.  Tests say nothing but yelping in pain just randomly. Any ideas?
This is such an interesting thread with lots of owners reporting similar problems of moans and groans from their best friends. While in some cases these symptoms may be down to something more serious (in which case the vet is the first point of contact to cancel out other things), it strikes me that many of the dogs are middle-age to older ... and at the ripe old age of 54, I can tell you I do exactly the same thing when I sit down, get up or start moving after a while of being in one position. Aging is a terrible thing. My rottie-mix is only 7yrs old and he has recently started moaning and groaning when he lies down or gets up - I've started him on fish oil to see if it will help, as I'm almost certain it's arthritus/rhuematism (just like me - so might try codliver oil myself from here on in).
I have a wonderful,l almost 17 year old, mutt and I will probably be putting him down next week. He cries, whimpers and barks a lot of the time. Although he is on Metacam and Glucosamine/Chondroitin and phenobarbitol I think that his dementia is such that he is an unhappy dog these days. He can barely see, can't hear, and just doesn't enjoy life much anymore. Although physically he might have a little more time left the quality of his life is so minimal that I think it is time to let him go.
I have a German Shepherd 8yrs old.  At any time of the day when she is lying down she fixes me with her gaze and starts to moan....groan....at times it is quite insistant and have learned to join in.  I start a conversation with her,usually about our day so far, pausing to wait for her replies.  This exchange can last for 10 minutes or so and ends with a combined howling as to the 'pack'. The neighbours have got used to it.   She settles thereafter content.  It's just particularly annoying when she starts up in the middle of a good film however the TV is so bad these days it usually is a wonderment of a diversion all instigated by her. It occurs every day. So you folks ...join in....and speak away it's fun.

17 is a great age. One of my earlier dogs, a rescued lurcher called Meg, lived to be 20. But, like your little friend, Meg went deaf, then blind and then, eventually, she lost the use of her hind legs through rhumatism. That was when we had her put to sleep, but it was the hardest thing in the world for us to do because she was truly a member of the family and our child. Truth is, looking back, I think we kept her alive too long, as she had no quality of life whatsoever at the end. Had we been brave enough, I think it would have been more humane to do the dreaded deed a year earlier, when she first lost her sight (after going deaf). I empathise with your situation and I'm sure you will know when the right time is, even though it is going to be heartbreaking. Big hus, Tony
i stumbled upon this thread when i googled moaning dogs while laying down. I have an 8 year old lab/husky mix and he started this a couple of weeks ago. Definitely wide awake..goes on walks, eats well, plays with the dogs and cats. Just when laying down he lets out one long groan. I can't figure out why he would do this..calling the vet in the morning.
have her gall bladder checked. my 14 yr old female bichon frise was moaning, drinking a lot of water, yelped when i picked her up. then she got very very sick, fever, vomiting, lethargy. emergency surgery 5 hrs after being diagnosed. she may have started having problems for over a year or more. poor baby. they can't talk so they can't tell us what hurts.
Why wait for some date to come up? why not take him to the vet now?
I have a 16 year old 55 lb medium sized Kong chasing mutt. He has had a great life and is in amazing shape for his age. He self regulates his food, is not over weight, chases the Kong everyday. Either my husband or myself or both of us are home with him during the day.
The last time we went to the vet (1 month ago) we took him in to the vet because he started acting extremely restless, wandering in the middle of the night, pacing, panting, vocalizing (short barks). His blood and weight and general heath proved to be excellent - as tested by the vet. He gave us some pain meds, a type of NSAID for dogs and it worked for 2 months; he was sleeping through the night again; naturally we thought he had some kind of joint pain from Kong chasing everyday, but now he's back to whining, groaning and vocalizing, staring at us as if he want's something or is board and still taking the meds. I called the doc again and he said that although he is in excellent physical heath, he is probably suffering from a type of doggie dementia, just the way the elderly get frustrated and board as their minds wane.
I'm afraid, at this point, in our lives and his, we just have to live with his frustration; he's not sick so I can't even begin to think about putting him down - I just feel so bad that I don't know what he's trying to tell me.
Your thread most closely resembles the symptoms my setter mix is exhibiting! All of the posts (except those professing that this is really dreaming or that my dog is fat and lazy) have the common thread of an aged dog who is uncomfortable when laying down. My guy is 11 and has some arthritis, and probably a little dementia too. He drinks quite a bit of water, is a chow hound, and moans at night. After a particularly hard hike it is worsened. He also stares at me and groans while thumping his tail. I have been to the vet and aside from a lot of lumps and losing muscle in his hind end, he seems well. He could lose about 5 pounds but is not obese. I have a 2 yo terrier who keeps us regular about exercise! I had him on rimadyl but took him off after it bothered his stomache. I just started him on fish oil and might try an alternate pain reliever. I am not sure. I am pretty sure the groaning is discomfort. I would like it to stop, but I dont want to hurt his liver by using NSAIDs either. Such a conundrum.
My dog is a 4 year old Toy Poodle..weighs about 7 lbs. He caught Kennel Cough when being groomed..even though he'd been vaccinated. (Was told the vaccine does't cover all strains.) The vet had me give him 2 meds & they semed to clear the cough up. Now...about the moaning..I honestly can't recall if it began before or after this...but he does moan when he lays down on the floor next to the sofa. Sometimes there are other sort of funny noises too but the moaning gets quite regular. I can't see if he might be asleep or not for when I get up...he's up to see what I'm doing. He sleeps next to me in my bedroom on the floor in his bed. At the crack of dawn, he jumps on to my bed, cuddles up & goes right back to sleep. There has been NO moaning or any other noises at all from the time we go to bed until wake up. They usually happen in the evening as I sit watching TV. He has no other known problems & acts completely as he always has. Good appetite, etc. I need to take him for his Rabies shot next week & planned to have her check his teeth for a cleanming. (She recommended it last year but I had to save up to be able to have it done.) So, possibly it's from his teeth..yet he sounds 'contented'..not hurting. I pray he isn't ill with cancer or anything..& might be a harmless left over reaction from the Kennel Cough he was treated for. *Fingers crossed* here along with tons of prayers. I'm a widow & my little guy is all I have. I love him so.
i agree with u sm820 my 11 year old chocolate lab has been experiencing moaning problems in the last few weeks. my parents think she might be in pain, and that if she is sick, we're going to put her to sleep. this dog has been my best friend since i was born. i love her so much that when i was about 2 i would crawl around the house with her and eat doggy treats just because i had such a great connection with her. and the connection has only grown over the years. about 3 years ago she survived cancer, and i know that was a miracle. when my parents told me that she had cancer, i bottled up my feelings a little. (which is a horrible thing to do) when my mom told me and my little brother to draw pictures of her, i just kept writing on a piece of paper "shes not gonna die". my parents decided to have the expensive surgerey performed and she lived. i am currently laying with her on the floor of my room with some blankets on and under us scared of what the outcome of this event will be. she has had bumps on her for a while ever since she got cancer and pulled through. she has recently been moaning when she lays down, (especially when i play shooting games by her) i know its not the game thats bothering her because she has been fine with gun noises from games and t.v., but scared to death of any noise in real life that even slightly rezembeles a gunshot or anything in the shape of a gun. i wish all dogs could pull through these times of despair, but thats just life. im sorry for everyone that has had a lost pet, and i do know how it feels
i have a middle aged chihuahua who also moans while laying down. his is not frantic or whiney, just, well, "moany." my mother insists that he never used to do it before i had his vaccinations and started him on his heartworm medication last summer. i cannot recall if she is correct about this, or, if it is something he has always done. at any rate, i've been growing increasingly concerned about it, as of late.
Two dogs in RI....You (and everyone else) should check with your vet and/or research interverbetal disk disease (ivdd) if your dog seems to be in pain and/or moaning when moving around/lying/hesitant to be touched on his backside, etc. The tail is a direct connection to the spinal cord, so that is a good sign something might be wrong?
IVDD causes weakness in the back legs/strange gait because there is nerve damage due to the compression of the spinal cord. The nerve damage can be so bad that the dog loses all function of his legs. It's really painful for them.
My cocker spaniel recently had emergency surgery because he went paralyzed literally overnight. The surgery was 100% successful, but in hindsight, I feel so bad for not listening/watching more closely to signs he may have a real issue. He was always nipping/growling when he was touched the wrong way, hated being picked up, especially hated anyone touching his back legs. he started to get clumsy on stairs and then seemed hesitant sometimes to move around, moaned when settling down, like he was always trying to get comfortable. Obviously with a bad back it must have been near impossible! He is totally fine with me touching him or his backside now, picking him up is not an issue and he does not do any moaning or is not restless trying to settle down at night or during the day.  lets me I take my dog to the vet regularly and they never diagnosed (which is done with x-rays/myelgram (sp?) and and or an mri I believe? Regardless, it wasn't until he lost the ability to walk they figured it out. Might be helpful just to read up and see if it sounds at all similar.

Lillies10, that is great your spaniel recovered and is OK now!  My vet had mentioned that arthritis in the back and/or hips is a possibilitty. He has some arthritis in his legs. He is not at all bothered by me touching him on the back so that is good. I started him on a trial of a new med the vet gave me. It is a bit pricey but the first day i gave it to him he actually was so playful, for the first time in years he got down on his front paws with his butt in the air and wanted to play! The next day he jumped into the back of my car without help. I have been hoisting him up for several months. I dont want him to jump in anymore but he did it before I could stop him! These are good signs, but he is still groaning although not as bad. The nights after long hikes are worse. I am also thinking he might have cushings. He is starting to get a strange bald spot on his back.  His bloodwork about 8 months ago had elevated alkylated phosphates and other than that his bloodwork was fine. when I research cushings some makes sense and other parts dont. Anyone on this site have a dog with Cushings?
WOW - I'm surprised at all the same problem I'm having. My 9 year old choc. lab started moaning when laying down and over a week got louder and longer moans.  No other symptoms, runs, plays, eats fine.  Every time she lays down she moans and when she goes to bed, in our bedroom, on her temperpedic bed, she lays on her side and moans until she gets comfortable and then moans off and on during the night, loud enough to wake you up.  I've been to the vet 6 times over the last 3 weeks, first he thought it was the ears, did have slight redness in the ear, got Tresaderm for that, didn't help the moaning and didn't help the ears! Then we tried an injection of Metacam, like an ibuprofen, and orally for several days, didn't even faze her. Then I asked for exrays of her chest, she has a fatty tumor on her chest and I thought maybe that might be causing pain, they didn't show anything.  So my vet noticed her ears where red again, so we started Posatex Otic Suspension and went back for an ear recheck and they were fine, but the moaning is still going strong.  I feel she is in pain, so now shes on 75mg Vetprofin, like an ibuprofen. No change what so ever...but here is the interesting thing I noticed today, she was outside and was rolling in the grass, got up and had grass all over her, so she tried to shake and as soon as she started, she stopped, like she couldn't shake and was in pain.  She knows what "shake" means, so I tried to get her to shake, again, she started and couldn't do it.  So I have another clue, but still no answer.  Any thoughts?? btw - my vet said when they moan, the pain is usually coming from the ears, teeth or joints.  I feel helpless.
This could be a spinal problem, probably due to age (just like humans, dogs get arthritic joints). If the cartilage between the vertebrae has shrunk, movement can cause pain - particularly shaking off grass or rain. It may be worth seeing if your vet can x-ray your dog's spine. If nothing else, an x-ray will either confirm or discount this as a cause of the moaning. Tony
Did you/your vet find out what was wrong with your dog?! Our 9 year old black lab has had the exact same symptoms (scratching at his ears, chewing at his hind quarters and now yelps when trying to lay down) for a few weeks now and we are very concerned. We had him tested for mange, mites and other skin issues, and also had blood tests for hypothyroidism and various blood disorders (this all when it was just the scratching and biting we were worried about). Now it has escalated to the pain when attempting to lay down. He just gives up and stands still, its tragic.
Hey, my lhasa apso started his moaning phase at about age 5. He is 7 now, and still moaning, anytime he is resting and has to change positions. He also moves when he is picked up after sleeping. He also moans when I firmly rub his ribs or neck. I don't think anything is wrong with Oliver. I think he is just moany. I know it can be disconcerting, and commend you for caring about your little buddy. I just think that some dogs, like some people, are just more prone to complain louder than others.
My dog has been doing the same thing - groaning and moaning while turning over day or night.  Tests reveal nothing.

Did you ever figure out what it was?
Did you ever get an anwser to the moaning problem?
I posted earlier this year about my 9 year old lab moaning very loud whenever she would lay down, move around, during the night.  After several hundreds of dollars later and the vet not being able to figure out what was wrong and trying several different meds, I was thinking of that commercial with Jack Hannah and the medicine he advertises for his dog COSEQUIN. So I went to my local pet store and bought the most expensive version of COSEQUIN, they do make different varieties.  I bought COSEQUIN DS.  It was around $50 for 110 pills.  My lab weighs 62lbs. so the directions say to get it into their system good first by giving 2 tabs in the morning and 1 tab at night.  After about 2 weeks it occurred to me that I hadn't heard her moan as much, so I really started paying attention.  Thank God, the moaning has decreased by at least 85-90% or more.  So obviously it has to be a joint problem, since COSEQUIN DS is labeled Maximum Strength Joint Supplement for Dogs.  It's sad that I had to figure out how to help her and my vet failed.  I hope y'all try this and reply back and let me know if I was able to help you.  It's so sad when our pets are hurting.  I feel so much better now and soon I will start on a maintenance dose of just 2 tabs a day.  Good luck to everyone. :)
We have a rottie/Lab mix that does the same thing..he is 10 yrs old and moans very loud sometimes..only when lying down...
I have an 11 yr old Lab (88 lbs) who started moaning about a month ago when he laid down and he continues to do it today.  He wasn't eating either, regardless of all the different types of food we offered him.  He had a fever and diarrhea about a month ago.  Took him to the vet today and he did a full panel blood work.  Nothing really came back out of the norm.  Vet checked his hips with pressure and he whined. Said this is why he started moaning.  Said dogs hit a peak with arthritis and moaning is how he let's us know he hurts when he lays down.   He has arthritis and gave him antiflammatory meds along with Dasuquin chewable bites.  Dasuquin is a natural joint health supplement.  It was $35 a bag for 150.  Give 2 a day for a month to get into the system and 1 a day after that.  Another diagnosis was the he may have stomach issues (possible ulcer) since he isn't eating.  Prescribed over the counter Prilosec.  Give 1 tablet daily for seven days.  Follow the instructions as you would if you were taking them.  He also said to feed him rice and boiled chicken breast as a bland meal for a few days, then mix in Purina One Select for older dogs.  Going to give all this a try.  
Hello Dlm...Be careful with any product made by Purina.....There are many complaints about their foods & it's been ongoing for months.....Here's the link:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html
My chocolate lab will be 11 in 3 months.  I do not want to think about her getting old but she caught up with me in age on her last birthday. Daisy is very energetic if we are out with her, however we are not out a lot and she is inside with us the rest of the time.  I am not unconcerned about her moaning,  which is very loud but she does it only when lying down, turning over etc. Daisy did have one health issue that was discovered in June.  First when outside she would attempt to urinate.  This would happen over and over again. Took her to the vet, after blood tests, diagnosed with kidney infection.  Given medications, then she was having blood and blood clots, large ones, in her urine. Back to the vet, x-rays  taken and two LARGE stones were discovered in her bladder, these were the size of a baseball.  These were not going to disolve and she would have died I am quite sure very shortly.  The stones were sent to a lab and said to be largely, calcium buildup. Do not know how this happened.  She acted as if she had plenty of energy. For a long time after these were removed she  was almost like she had dimentia (dementia), very scary.  She finally got over that, got back to her old self and now moans all the time but I chalk it up to old age and just doing what I do when I get up and down.  Sorry to be so long with this but one more thing to the person with a dog who had kennel cough.  Got this off the internet and it worked for Daisy.  Give your dog 5-8 fur ball bits a couple of times a day.  Worked for her and suggested it to a friends dog and worked for them too.  Good luck to all.  I will try the fish oil suggestion.
I have a 4 year old male boxer. A couple days ago i noticed he was walking around with a little wierd kink in his step. Like he was having difficulty walking. I took him to the vet the next day. She checked his limbs/joints and they are all working fine. However, when she moved his neck down and completely to the side he let out a awful cry. She then took xrays and have not came up with anything so i took him home. We have started steriods and pain meds and he is walking better but whenever he lays down and starts to fall asleep if he moves his neck he crys and then walks around not wanting to lay back down. I am absolutely heartbroken and at a loss on what to do. Has anyone else dealt with anything similar? I feel like i'm losing my first baby....
My two year old springer rescue does the same thing, more of  a grunt when shifting positions upon laying down. Seems restless while sleeping. At first I thought it was just new surroundings, so thought I would wait to see what happens. He is still doing it but it is more of a grunt and then big sigh. I appears that something if causing him problems. I have no previous medical records and all else seems normal. Very active, playful, eats good but does not sleep soundly. He goes swimming or walks daily. But could be slightly overweight. Taking him to the Vet to get checked out today. Wish we could find a definitive answer.
My Cocoa is a 9 year old female dachshund /terrier mix (13 lbs) and just recently started moaning. I am very concerned that she is in pain. Like most of the others here, she does it just after laying down and when she shifts. She is always awake when she does this. For the past week though, after she falls asleep, I hear her yelping in her sleep and jerking her legs. I try to sooth her by gently stroking her head and saying "it's ok, mommy's here", until she calms down. I might add that I have recently moved about 1 month ago. Not sure if this is the reason for her doing both of these. Any suggestions or reasons for this happening would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
A very concerned "mom"
Susan
I'm beginning to think after reading all these posts that many dogs do the moaning thing.   My dog is an 11 year old Pitt Bull mix.  An alpha dog to be sure but we've had her since she was 6 wks old and we love he.  She just started the moaning thing 2 months ago and only does it when lying down.  She doesn't have to be asleep, just lying down.  I know she has hip displasia and is on Deramax for it.  Other than that the vet says she is in great shape.  Is it just old age?  She still runs like the wind and wants to play, go for rides and walk every day.  She loves to watch animals on TV and wags her tail like nobody's business.  I'm so not ready to lose her so if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.
I have the same issues that you are all speaking of with my 10.5 year old yellow lab.  She started this and it has been off and on for the last 2 years.  It seems to be escalating over the last 6 months.  Had blood work done and everything is fine.  She walks fine and is good in the waking hours.  She does moan sometimes when going to a laying down position.  I am hoping it is just a behavioral issue, but am not certain.  

At the beginning of the week I put her on a supplement called Wobenzyme. 5 pills in the morning on an empty stomach and 5 pills at night on an empty stomach.  I am happy to report that I have slept through the night for the last couple of nights.  Which means she is not groaning or at least not as much.  She also has an incredible amount of energy and seems to be young again.  

I am enclosing a web site that speaks of the benefits of Wobenzyme.  Most of the good info I received was at the end of the article.  

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/8_10/features/15752-1.html
I don't want to stir up any worry, as you know any symptoms could be caused by a million things.  But I kept finding this post as I googled my dog's symptoms: Moaning while laying down, coughing, gagging.

The moaning was the first symptom.  My dog would moan a little when he was laying down.  Just a little.  We thought he was just being extra affectionate.

The moaning got louder and louder to the point where it would wake us up at night.

Then he started coughing.  The vet was a little concerned.  Put him on antibiotics.  Also noticed his breathing was a little labored.

The coughing only occurred at night for the most part.  Or after laying down for a while.

Eventually my dog seemed to be OK laying down on his belly, not on his side.  But that was only good for a couple of nights.

After the antibiotics failed to do anything, we brought him to an internalist.   She confirmed that my dog was under heart failure.  She said his life expectancy could be anywhere from a day or two, to 6 months.  Tough news to hear.  She ordered us to another vet that had a cardiologist.  We pretty much went straight there.

She said his heart failure was worse than our dog was letting us to believe.  Gave him a 50/50 chance of surviving through the night and even if they could get his lungs to clear, it would probably only be a couple of weeks before it would come back again.  And he could really just die any time because his heart was so weak.

We have to make the toughest decision of our life that day and had to say goodbye to my best friend of 6 years.  

I wanted to type this up because it was annoying me that people were assuming that the dog is dreaming.   I personally think if your dog starts moaning, get it to a cardiologist ASAP.

I hope it's something else for you!
Have you checked your dogs spleen and liver? Our golden is 8 and started moaning after he unfortunately got stepped on pretty hard by someone coming down a fight of stairs....  He didn't even make a noise hen it happened and to our dismay was ready to go running and play throughout the 2 following weeks.   His moaning started small but after 3 weeks he yelped when someone touched his left side...  Later,  He kind of 'collapsed' or  strained to get up....he looked like someone would look if he got thumped in the belly and had the wind knocked out of him.   We rushed him for a dries of tests and uncovered soft tissue damage to the spleen and liver.   The ultrasound did not show bleeding or cysts but I am still highly concerned.   He is on VetriLiver to get his liver on track and Metronidazole to reduce internal swelling.  He also has a bacterial infection so he is on Amoxicillin.   We give him an Omega-3 and glucousamin supplement now also with Tramadol for pain.    Unfortunately the moaning is getting worse _ -more frequent when laying down,longer and louder.    I am nervous the swelling has decreased and there may be an underlying problem...   Cancer in the spleen is common in Goldens - if he has it, I am hoping we catch it before it is too late.    Do you think I should take him to a more specialized vet for a second opinion?   Currenly, our vet ( and 4 other vets ) want to wait for 2 weeks and re ultra sound then.   The moans must mean something is up though...
My dog was diagnosed wih Cushings disease.  I'm thinking the moaning
correlates with this disease. The moaning started around the same time.
I don't think she's in pain but, I think that having Cushings has affected her brain from the small tumor, and in turn is causing senality.  
Thank you for this!  My 9 year old German Shepherd started moaning a couple months ago.  She does it when she's laying on the sofa next to me.  She moans, I pet her or speak to her, she puts her head in my lap and moans louder, I answer, she continues.  It goes on as long as I keep answering her, then she settles down and goes to sleep.  She's healthy, active and not overweight.  She just seems like a contented old lady giving her opinion on things.
Thank you for posting this.  My dog was diagnosed with splenic cancer back in August and it had spread to the Adrenal gland so removing her spleen wouldn't benefit much as they couldn't operate on the Adrenal gland.  They gave her 19 days to 3 months to live....she has lived 5 months now, but in the last two weeks has been groaning every time she lays down and quite often through the night so loud at times that she wakes me up.  I am so grateful that my miracle baby outlasted the standard diagnosis, but this groaning is almost unbearable for me and I was online trying to find out if it is related to the cancer.   I'm at a crossroads right now as I don't want to give up time I have with her, but cannot bear to see her in pain.   I ask anyone on here that has a new found moaning/groaning from their furry kid to have an ultrasound done to check for tumors as they spread quickly and can be treated much better if found earlier.
My dog has been doing the same thing now. She is old but it's so odd. I worry too. Did fish oil help? She plays and go's for daily walks. I am worried. Of coarse everyone thinks ina worry wart.
My 9 year old Black Lab/Border Collie Mix has started whining about a month ago now.  She whines when lying down during the day and yes she dreams a lot at night.  We have had her to the Vet many times in the last year, to diagnose her allergies, ear infections, and now a bladder infection.  She has been on bladder infection medication for about a week now, with no actual signs of improvement.  She still squats and pees a little bit every 3 feet.  Also, the whining when she lies down continues until she falls asleep and begins again when she wakes up.  In the afternoons, she takes a nap, and in fact over the last several months, has been sleeping more and more each day.  She whines and moans a lot and when she stands, her hind legs shake quite a bit and her hips as well.

That is the reason we took her to the Vet most recently.  They checked her for 'stones' and indicated that to the physical touch it did not seem like there were any 'stones in her system'.  They have asked us to allow the full 21 days of bladder infection medication to take effect, before moving on to x-rays, ultrasounds, etc...

A family friend indicated that it could be arthritis, even at 9 years of age.  She has never been an active dog, preferring to lay around and sleep most of the time over the last several years.

She is not having trouble navigating stairs, but our Vet indicated that this could also be caused by the bladder infection, and the whining as well.  She is in discomfort for sure.

Any insight or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Frank & Diane in Ontario.
We have a 7 1/2 month Jack x Chi puppy, he moans if we make to much noise, it is very funny, he moans if i talk to him at times, as if to say i am trying to sleep shhh, if i say what do you think Billy he mostly answers with a moan, he is in no pain, it is his way x
Hi. Nine years may not seem very old, but of course in doggy years it's not young either. It is quite possible that your best friend has some arthritis and/or rheumatism. The symptoms are certainly typical of a gradual onset of this condition. But your vet is the professional and you should of course take their advice. Antibiotics must be run for the full course, otherwise there may be some initial improvement, but then a relapse. As dogs get older, their auto-immune system becomes impaired (just like humans), so an infection can take a while to be completely cured. It's a case of discounting the most obvious possibilities one by one and then seeing what likely conditions, if any, remain. Let's hope it is a bladder infection and the meds do everything they are meant to.

I have only just noticed the date of your post ... so I'm hoping the problem has been resolved by now, but it would be great to hear from you, if you want to post an update. Cyber hugs to you and your best friend. Tony
My 11 yr old pit bull recently started groaning when he was lying down. I was very upset because I had a 12 yr old mixed breed large dog that I had to have put to sleep a year ago - same problem. Vet said he probably had cancer. I've tried about everything, but refused to quit. Was reading on a site about iron deficiency in dogs, and my dog had many of those symptoms. I had been feeding him a homemade food with grains and meat, but thought maybe I didn't have enough meat in it; he had stopped wanting to eat it.  I bought some Kibbles & Bits can food (he liked that previously) and fed him that; he ate it right down. Within hours, he had improved dramatically, and that night, he slept all night without groaning! I fed him that exclusively for a couple of days, & he didn't need half as much of it as he needed of other foods.  When he started wanting more volume, I mixed in some of the homemade dog food with the can food, and he ate it just as well, and it worked just as well. It has been a week, and he has stopped all his groaning; energy level has really improved also. I make sure I put at least 1/2 meat and 1/2 homemade food. I wish I had know this before when my other dog was sick. I think he literally starved to death. Dogs can't get enough iron unless they eat meat or take supplements. I wanted to post this for others to try. It's inexpensive, safe, and could potentially save dogs who have an iron deficiency.
I have an Aussie  , who started doing the same thing a few weeks ago while awake and asleep , at first we laughed but now I am concerned .. I am thinking my joint pain , but hes a beast when he gets outside. maybe just a habit ??
I'm so happy I found this sight. My Anatolian is 130lbs and 7 years old. He just started moaning when he lays down, sleeping more during the day and snoring so loudly at night it wakes us up. He goes on walks, although not so much because of heat. I recently changed his food and wonder if that could be it from reading the comments. The most interesting common denominator I see is that the Vets are not finding anything and just keep prescribing meds. My guy is very sensitive to meds so I fear those may prove detrimental. I wish some of the folks from previous posts would provide updates. I will take my Gus to vet and share some of the findings that the others have provided. Let you know what they come back with. My heart goes out to those who lost their family member. I've already put down two and cann't begin to think what I will do if I get negative news.
Add my dog to the list.  10 year old boxer, has known arthritis in his spine and knees (on monthly Pentosan injections, has been on Sasha's Blend capsules for the last two years and for the last four months has been having Caprieve daily).   He started grunting/groaning when lying down about three weeks ago and new xrays of his spine/back end two weeks ago show some new spurring at the base of the lumbar area (don't know the technical terms) but the vet thought his medication would take care of any pain.  We upped his pain meds for a bit and it didn't make any different so have dropped them back to one Caprieve daily.

This is baffling, as he seems very happy when upright, charges around like a crazy thing, launches himself off and up on to the deck (as much as I'd prefer he doesn't do this I can't stop him) and eats with gusto.   When he first started making noises it was a grunt and usually only one, now it is more of a groan/moan and he does it when he first lies down and whenever he moves or changes position whilst lying down.  He doesn't seem to be sore anywhere and try as I might I haven't been able to catch him doing it on my phone to show the vet.
My little pom started yelping in her sleep out of the blue and would wake herself up. Over the course of the weekend it got worse, to where she couldn't lie down without difficulty, and her tail was drooping, and she'd yelp when something jarred her, or while just lying there without anything bumping her at all -- just a random yelp of pain. Thinking it was spinal disc or nerve problem or something of the like (because she had been walking stiffly for several weeks and not wanting to jump up on the furniture without help), I took her to the vet as soon as the weekend was past, but the doc couldn't find anything wrong -- he pushed on her legs and back and nothing seemed amiss. He did say one knee was popping in and out of place, but that was common with poms and would only need to be dealt with if it made her lame; that wouldn't account for the pain. I asked for him to take an x-ray to be certain there was nothing wrong with her spine, and the only thing that showed up was that she was constipated -- nothing else looked wrong on the x-ray. As I got to thinking about it, she hadn't pooped that day at all, and I wasn't sure whether she had pooped the previous day. He gave me some pain meds and anti-inflammatory medication to see if that would help, and he also said if she didn't poop by the next day to either bring her back in for an enema or give her one ourselves at home (warm water mixed with soap). By evening she still hadn't pooped, so we used a small syringe (lubricating the end with olive oil) and gave her the enema. Sure enough she finally pooped, and we haven't heard one yelp of pain so far since then (and that was last night). So ask your vet if constipation could be the problem -- that seems to be what was wrong with our little Daisy.
That's great news. You worked it out eventually and solved the problem. Just one quick word of caution for anyone thinking of trying this remedy themselves with their own dogs ... giving a dog an enema can be quite dangerous for those who aren't experienced in the technique. It can easily cause internal ruptures, other trauma leading to severe shock and internal infections. Please do not attempt this without advice and guidance from your vet. The amount of fluid, the type of fluid, the temperature of the fluid and how it is administered are all critical and the first part ... the amount ... depends on the size of the dog concerned. Too much, given too warm or too cold and administered too quickly, will lead to shock, which can be fatal. Tony
I have a 15 yo lab who is deaf who is whining constantly. I don't think he's in pain but am at a loss as to what to do.Have heard a lot about senility in older dogs. He's eating & drinking..
Hi. Senility is often easy to diagnose in dogs, particularly in the later stages of the illness. The deafness may be contributing to him whining, but with a dog of this age it is essential you get him checked out by your vet, because (obviously) the whining could indicate he is in pain.

Does your dog recognize you? Does he always go to his bed (assuming it is kept in the same place) without seeming to search for it beforehand? Does he know where his eating and drinking bowls are? Does he recognize people he is familiar with and wag his tail when he first sees them? If yes to these questions, then senility is probably not the issue.

A dog's life tends not to be impaired just because they have become deaf, because their primary senses (smell and sight) maintain their ability to just get on with living, quite happily and without many problems.

I suspect this could be joint associated whining. Just like humans, older dogs can get rheumatism and arthritis - which would explain whining and groaning and maybe even the occasional yelp when lying down or getting up. These symptoms and the pain can be helped with medication - ask your vet about it.

On the other hand, if your dog is whining constantly as you suggest, it may be related to mild anxiety. Has your dog gone deaf recently, or is this something that has happened over years? If the former, it may take him a little time to get used to his new silent world ... but he will get used to it so don't worry too much ... just offer lots of reassurance when he seems concerned.

Let us know how you get on. Tony
Darcy312 - I hope you are still around more to talk about what happend.  I have a 10 year old Golden who is doing the same thing.  We are headed to the Vet this Saturday.  I am ready for the worst news, but praying for the best!
Hi. This must be a worrying time. I hope the news is good for you and not anything you may be dreading. You are in my thoughts. Tony x
My 13 year old chow mix started doing it about 3 days ago. but what she does starts while she is sleeping. what ever it is wakes her from a dead sleep. she sounds like she is in pain. Tonight she just did it and was a little weak upon waking. but seems fine now. Drink, eats, acts normal. sounds really bad and I want to help her.
I found this site while searching for a cause and/or solution for my 7 year old dalmatian's whining and moaning only when she is laying down.  This started about two weeks ago and the vet has checked her ears, teeth, heart and did a complete blood workup which showed that her sugar was high and that she has a slight UTI.  She is on pain meds and antibiotics but the whining and moaning continues.  Her appetite is good and she walks and gets around fine.
Hi.I'm a little concerned that your vet says your dog's blood-glucose readings were high. What has he/she suggested, if anything, caused it? If the vet has only given antibiotics and pain killers, that's not what I would have expected, as the pain killers might stop the symptoms - when actually, you need to observe the symptoms, investigate them and then diagnose why the symptoms are being caused. What were the blood-glucose readings? And has your vet advised taking additional blood so that a re-check of the blood-glucose can be done? Tony
My comment is really for everyone, followed this thread way back to beginning! Our 13yr old Lab having the moaning/groaning, much consultations with very caring vet. So amazing to see all posts and know so many are baffled. Going to check with vet with some of issues mentioned here, and hope the cause is not the very serious ones.
Hi. If you have read all the posts to this thread you will already know that almost all dogs moan and groan a bit from time to time, some due to age and tired limbs and muscles (particularly after a long walk), others because they are just audible dogs that express themselves more than others - and of course some that have an underlying condition causing them pain. You are absolutely right to get your vet to give a general health examination and ask them to do a full blood check at the same time. Catching some illnesses early is often beneficial, as treatment can begin quickly - but hopefully, like most cases of dogs moaning and groaning from time to time, your dog will be confirmed healthy and happy ... despite the moans and groans. At 13, your best friend is already in old age, and like most of us in that phase of life, we have aches and pains and to moan a bit about them occasionally. Tony
Our golden retriever, who turned 4 on Monday of last week, is now doing the moaning/whining thing. I've had a grand total of 7 hours of sleep in the last three nights and about $600 in vet bills.  A typical 4 y.o. golden male is full of energy, and Chase fits that bill. However, 10 days ago on a Friday he obviously did not feel well. He laid around, slept all day and didn't act too excited about his food. Saturday more of the same. Sunday, OBVIOUSLY not feeling well at all as we had to force him to get up to go outside, he wasn't drinking (normally at least 1 bowl a day) at all, etc. I had him in at the vet's office at 8:00 a.m. on Monday. Upon examination, they diagnosed him with tonisillitis--which he had almost exactly one year ago to the day. Antibiotics and short Rx for mild painkillers and we were on our way and happy to know he'd be fine.  Unfortunately, that was not the case this time.  He has since been back to the vet 4 times with no diagnosis.  His bloodwork, urine, fecal--all perfectly normal.  Abdominal palpation and osteo manipulation reveal no masses or pain.  Abdominal x-rays reveal nothing.  And yet, ten days later he is still sleeping the majority of the day, only to sit up approximately 1-2 times an hour to whine and moan.  He is still eating fine, urine and fecal output are fine. No other symptoms other than tons of sleeping and the bouts of whining and moaning (not dreaming--he wakes up, sits up and cries and moans). He looks at me with those beautiful brown eyes like "please help me, I hurt" but we cannot figure it out.  :(
Hi. Well, this is a curious one. Dogs can certainly get tonsillitis, though I am wondering how the vet came to that diagnosis and whether it was because of raised lymph nodes and other typical signs of tonsillitis? The problem here is whether tonsillitis is caused by another underlying condition. The tonsils act to control infection, so when they become overwhelmed by infection, they become raised (just like the lymph nodes) and the swelling creates tonsillitis.

Did the vet do a close examination of the teeth, mouth and throat area? These are often the root cause of tonsillitis as a secondary condition.

What I am trying to say is maybe your vet has missed the reason why your dog is suffering this condition, because there may be something else going on here. What did he prescribe as a solution to the tonsillitis? The usual remedy is antibiotics for 2 to 3 weeks. But clearly, if the underlying cause isn't diagnosed and treated, the problem is likely to start again.

Tony
He said that while it's not common in dogs, those in those that do get it, it's usually allergy related. And Chase does have allergies.  He is very allergic to cedar pollen and that's been high here and he's been itchier than normal lately.  The thorough physical exam showed beautiful white teeth, no lesions or sores in the mouth, but red/inflamed tonsils and lots of 'foam" in his throat, typical symptoms of a sore throat according to him.  What's weird is that all bloodwork has shown absolutely zero signs of infection.  His levels on everything from white blood cells, hemoglobin, etc.--all were perfectly normal.  He prescribed 400 mg of Amoxicillin twice a day, and we have not missed a single dose.  I just got off the phone with him and am going to drop Chase off again at 1:00 for further examination.  It's so frustrating to listen to him just constantly whining and not be able to figure it out.  

As an aside, I am vaguely concerned that we're missing something in the abdominal cavity. My last golden passed away suddenly from hemangiosarcoma. Granted he was 11 years old and goldens are unfortunately prone to this cancer, but for two years before it was diagnosed I kept telling my vet (a different one) that there was just something "off" about him.  This has been my feeling here.  The abdominal x-rays taken on Friday and Saturday both showed perfectly normal spleen, kidneys, liver, etc. but I can't help but feel that we're missing something.
Hi. Allergic reactions can indeed cause tonsillitis, though it's the least common of the reasons, but your info about the high cedar pollen, the itching and the fact that Chase is known to be allergic, all point to this being the cause. Your vet seems to have come to the most logical conclusion, and has certainly not skimped on investigating the cause. Maybe an allergy test is the only way to prove the diagnosis, though it may not be something you want to do.

Is Chase on any anti-allergy medication? It may be useful to help calm things down a little, particularly when you know its the season for high cedar pollen.

I understand your concerns, but I think this is a case of trying to keep vigilant about observing symptoms, keep a diary (which may later prove useful) and perhaps try to ease the allergy reaction with medication. Clearly Chase has quite a strong reaction to allergic pollen, and the knowledge about it should help you predict in the future when his health may suffer and when it's appropriate to try controlling it with suitable meds.

If nothing else, you have gone through so many investigations and have a dog with a clean bill of health, apart from the tonsillitis. That should be comforting - though clearly, you are still concerned. I'm hoping as Chase improves over the next few days (once the antibiotics start working properly), you will be reassured.

I'm sure you already know, but please make sure you give the full course of antibiotics, even if Chase seems back to full health after just a few days.

Let us know how things go. Tony
FINALLY, a diagnosis!  Despite showing zero symptoms of it--until late yesterday morning (whereupon I immediately called the vet and took him in)--Chase has: a bone fragment in his knee, a slightly torn ACL AND fairly moderate hip dysplasia. We are going to get him through this acute phase with pain meds and confinement, and then decide what to do.
Hi. That's good news (no not good news, but good that you have a diagnosis). I am wondering why this wasn't seen in the original X-rays you had done. Tony
Well, because Chase never exhibited any signs that he was having pain in his leg or hip, but instead he wasn't eating, wasn't drinking, was doing nothing but sleeping and whining and groaning--we didn't do x-rays of hips/leg.  When we initially saw the tonsils I guess it just threw us all off track.  

Doc did do the drawer test for ACL on the very first visit last Monday and Chase didn't bat an eyelash. He also manually checked his spine, his hips, etc. on each visit and again, Chase didn't indicate any pain at all.  Yesterday, however, he actually 'snapped' when Doc did the drawer test.  Why the sudden change I'm not sure.  I'm relieved that we know what the issue is finally but the diagnosis of the both ACL and hip dysplasia is disheartening to say the least.
Hi again. Yes, I understand your concerns, but maybe this is a situation best taken one step at a time. Once the tonsillitis and pain is sorted, then there's plenty of time to look at options. Do you have insurance for Chase's health? If yes, then at least any costs involved won't be a huge concern and it opens up other possibilities. If not, then much will depend on your financial circumstances as to what might be the best route to take. As a fairly young dog, some issues are best sorted while Chase is relatively young. Tony
My 13 year old female lab mix is going through the same thing and almost all of the moaning is while she is awake, laying on the floor.  A lot is when she rolls over on her side and at night when she and I are settling in for the night.  Otherwise, she has just slowed down and seems in no distress.  My vet said these are moans of contentment, a term that I never heard of before.  She is diabetic and her hips have subsequently lost a lot of muscle mass but other than that and age, I am at a loss but concerned about the moaning.

Digger's Dad
Hi. I have never heard a vet say a dog moans out of contentment. Due to the age of Digger (I'm making an assumption about the name based on your post name tag) and her diabetes, this is something that does need investigation. Has your vet taken blood for analysis? It is certainly worth checking kidney function, particularly as she is diabetic and because you mention her moaning when she rolls onto her side.

You are right to think there could also be a hip issue. Has the vet undertaken X-rays to check for hip problems? Is she on any other medication, such as pain relief meds?

Tony
So many of similar stories, its very concerning and mind boggling.
8 yr old choc lab, normally happy, full of life, healthy eater, normal routine, strict diet with glucosomine chondroitin.
About 6 mos ago, started the moaning, whining, groaning. He does it when he is standing, looking at you, laying down, getting up, even sleeping. He did put on some weight but this all started before the weight gain.
At first, we thought he wanted attention and we would say "aawww, come here you neglected puppy" and laugh it off. But this behavior is regardless of attention or not.  He growns and whines no matter where you pet or rub him.
Vet checked him out and said he was fine. OUR CONCERN is even more amplified after reading some your posts and diagnosis. In the 3 yrs this thread has been up, there is NOTHING exact to pinpoint.
One thing I have thought of, the dog food, treats and toy recalls for our pets last year. All products were coming from China. I can't help but wonder if the tainted items that weren't caught, managed to get into our dogs. Just a thought. I read labels even more so now.
Hi. If your choc lab has had bloodwork and other appropriate tests at the vet, then I think this is something best to observe and perhaps keep a diary about - write down the time of day he moans and groans, whether standing or sitting or lying down, the time you fed him and what was given. This kind of information may prove useful to identify a pattern. It would also be good to repeat the blood tests in about 6 months time, to see if there are any changes. Even slight changes may indicate the start of something - and the sooner treatment can begin for some illnesses the better. If you are concerned about dog treats given (particularly if they are associated with the Chinese jerky problem), let your vet know and - for further info - have a read of my piece on it: http://tonybooth.hubpages.com/hub/Dogs-Are-Dying

You might also find this of some value: http://www.infobarrel.com/Is_Your_Dog_Allergic_To_Its_Food

Hope he stays okay. Tony
I think the and moans and groans come with aging, nothing to be concerned about. I do it myself and feeling my 61 years. Jack is 13 years 6 months, a mixed breed of golden retriever and something similar. 60 pounds, loves food and water, will waft back and forth while my hand is stationary just to get a rubbing in. He gets our daily newspaper at end of driveway too. Loves his life and groans while laying down. We have something in common: aging. I think aging signs present with arthritis (not acute) brings discomfort so he relocates himself rather frequently during brief spells. Old age happens. Enjoy it since it won't last forever. Eventually we all push up daisies.
my Irish Setter Mick has started this same thing.   First time 9 days ago, went to the Vet that same day, she checked him out - all fine - did blood work up - all fine.  We went home, he did a few more moans when he laid down and then was fine until yesterday afternoon - the moans/groans started when laying down - he would stand up and seem fine tho more sluggish than his normal self - this time I didn't run to the Vet - gave him Simeth. pill, tums etc in case gas tho he has never much passed gas or had this happen before however unlike the few hours of the last time, this time lasted through the night - he kept standing up and just standing there - I kept hoping he would have a BM so put him outside for a bit,  when we came in around 3 a.m. he seemed a little better (he was also drooling a lot with the moaning) - he did eat most of his breakfast, went for a walk with us.  Hate to make another trip to the Vet, what else can they do - hate to get into X rays and the like esp if just a gas issue.  Mick is approx. 9 yrs old this year.   Carol in PA
Hi. An Xray would be the ideal, just to discount obvious issues that the vet couldn't find. One thing you could do, which may help - but it's quite difficult to do from an owner's point of view - is to starve him for24hrs. If it's a gastric problem, eating will reactivate the problem and start the cycle again, so starving could cure it. And if it doesn't, well at least that's another thing you can discount and tell the vet about it. It's difficult to starve a dog for 24hrs, particularly if you have a dog that is food orientated.

It may also be worth thinking carefully about any new foods or treats you've given him over the last week or so, as these may be a suspect to causing the issue.

It is more likely to be a gastric issue if your dog does a lot of stretching, typically with his front paws outstretched, or with his back arching. If he isn't doing this, then it may more likely be a joint, muscle or spinal issue ... which will all require further examination by the vet. It may be worth trying an anti-inflammatory (vet prescribed), which would treat muscular strain - and if that doesn't help, then it's likely to be skeletal problem.

It's good that the bloodwork came back okay, as that has already discounted some of the more serious issues.

Tony