Dogs Community
Dog moping around, walking with tail and body low

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

We trimmed our dog's nails on Sunday, and unfortunately, hit a vein in one nail, causing his nail to bleed off and on all day. We used Kwik Stop but that didn't seem to stop the bleeding much.  We kept re-applying it when it did bleed.  His behavior after it stopped bleeding was fine and we even took him on a walk where he was totally normal.

Today is Wednesday, and I just noticed last night when we got back from dinner that our dog was acting strange. He would hurriedly walk into a room with his body and tail low, and lay on the ground. He even laid on the hardwood floors, which he never does. He then walked low into the hall and laid down immediately. He's acting depressed, too.

This AM on our walk, he didn't stop to smell anything like he normally does. He just peed and walked alongside me. He walked with his tail low the whole time and ears back, looking up at me sadly every so often. This is peculiar for him.  He did eat his food like normal this morning though. He has slept basically all morning, just got up and walked low and slow into the bedroom.  What could be wrong with him? Could it have anything to do with the nail cutting?
he might be in pain.toe nails are very sensitive.my dog fractured a toe nail slipping in the snow and had to be sedated for them to "fix" it by clipping it down. call your vet and ask what they recommend
Sometimes when they get quicked they might act odd for a few days.His nail might be a little sore and sometimes they just pout for a few days.I am sure that he will be fine in a few days.When my Peke gets his nails does he pouts for several days and he want even come out of his room except to go potty.I hope he gets feeling better soon.
Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it.  My dog has since started acting normal. I think you were both right - he may have been a bit sore. Now I know it's better to not cut enough off, then cut too much!
I use a dremel on all of my babies nails.That way i dont have to worry about quicking them.It works great for me and i can trim them when we are watching tv or whatever.I wait till they are relaxed and then they dont squirm around as much.I am glad to hear that he is back to normal.Take care.
my dog has been moping around lately also his nails are long could this be also from that? he eats normally he just not as playfull as always lays around more often