Dogs Community
Dog not normal

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog not normal

My dog is bloated and not eating much, I just got him to eat some cooked white rice with his dog food but we are lucky to get him to eat a cup of dry dog food a day.  His activity has decreased but he is still getting a little excited about things. I just took him out after eating and hes acting as if he is straining but only a very minimal of loose stool came out.  His bottom looks red and inflamed and we did treat him with a de-wormer yesterday from the vet but they couldn't get him in for a visit until Saturday
Hi Jenn..Don't use any more wormer on him.....Sounds as if he has a blockage somewhere & this really can't wait till Saturday! If this is indeed bloat, he won't make it till then...You need to call again and tell them you have an emergency...Good luck & let us know how he is......Karla
Well they are allowing us to drop him off and see him I between appts today!  I fear that it is a blockage also, I don't know if it is actual bloat or an intestinal blockage, he tends to eat some crazy things but he has always made himself sick to expel them previously!  Fingers crossed my boy is ok!
Just got done at vet, she released his anal glands and said his stomach is fine he is just fat!  So diet for my doggie.  She said he should feel better now most dogs don't feel ill from the anal glands bing full but she has seen it enough that she is confident that is all it is.  If he doesn't get better she wants to run labs but doesn't feel that will be needed!!!  Soooooo relieved!!!!
Did you mention to your vet that your dog was not eating as usual and was lethargic? I hope it is just the anal glands but I have never heard of anal glands causing all this.
Did the vet take an X-ray to ck for a blockage? Or constipation?
I hope your dog will recover soon.
I agree with Dakota.....This does not sound like Anal gland problems.....Yes, maybe they we're full & needed emptied, but I don't believe that's the root problem.....From what you described: Straining, but only a small bit of loose stool or water coming through points to an intestinal blockage or severe constipation......Has he had a normal BM today? If so, great! If not, you can add canned pumpkin to get his bowels moving easier....You want Canned Pure Pumpkin...Not a pie filling! A large dog needs 1Tablespoon twice a day in meals...A small dog can have up to a teaspoon twice a day.....

Obesity causes MANY number of problems including constipation & anal gland issues...Mainly due to lack of exercise.....

For weight reduction, start adding canned (Unsalted) green beans to his meals...Also add PLAIN Rice Cakes (Human version) to his meals...Both of these are low calorie and make great fillers...As you do this, start cutting some of his regular food out a little at a time....Start walking him when you can....Start slow & increase the length as he becomes healthier......The weight will come off slow.....Do not get discouraged.....Your dog will be healthier & happier at a lower weight.....Good luck, Karla

Agree with the green bean diet.  If our show dogs got a little chunky, we would use that diet. Of course, we never let them put on too much weight
Yes I did explain the eating and bowel movements to her but she said that it is not common for dogs to have these problems with the anal glands full but she has seen it happen often enough to not question it.  However, here we are two weeks later and nothing has changed with him!!!  She felt his belly said there was nothing abnormal about what she felt. He doesn't express discomfort when you push on his stomach.  His bowels havent been normal for a long time not just recent put they are pencil thin which I think is odd.  We have another vet appointment scheduled but I am just beside myself with how he is.  I know if you don't know my dog you may have thought he was just over weight but he is a crazy thing always wanting to play, we cant get him to play no matter how hard we try.  He don't even come to the door when we come home!  I think he has a blockage and I am going to tell them when we go that we want an xray done!!!
I would be looking for another vet and soon!  Honk you need some blood work done and probably an abdominal x-ray.
Well we went to the Vet again Friday 11/9 and she did bloodwork and abdominal and chest xrays and sent us to the vet hospital because he has an enlarged heart and several other things going on they admitted him and ran several tests and being that is was Friday some of the tests we cant do until Monday and the cardiologist isn't in on weekends!  She came in especially to see Rommel and she diagnosed him with DCM-dialated cardiomyopathy with CHF-congestive heart failure.  She believes the other issues he has going on could all stem from the DCM but after he comes in for his check up with her she does want to test him for Addisons disease also.  She called me this morning and he does get to come home today, he will be on 4 medications daily and she is giving us a life expectancy of 1-18 months but she said most dogs dont live the 18 months.  She said to put it in human terms he would be at the top of a heart transplant list!!!  Can't wait to get my doggie back today!
I am so glad your vet was finally smart enough to send your baby to a specialist to get the right tests done. I am so very sorry for the diagnosis. I just know the medications will help him and he will have good quality of life. That is awesome that he will be at top of heart transplant list. Please keep us posted on your baby and let us know how he is doing. We all care so much.
Best regards...Susan