Dogs Community
Dog panting, restless at night and more

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog panting, restless at night and more

My  7 year old Miniature Schnauzer is having problems with her butt.  She has problems with her anal glands and has to have them cleaned very frequently, but the  last time she was at the vet there was hardly anything there.  She will be laying there sleeping and jump up and start running around and looking at her butt.  She doesn't lick or drag her butt at all.  Sometimes she will jump straight up in the air, like she's had a sharp pain or poke of some kind!  She is now panting all night and very restless.  She seems fine during the day, but keeps me up all night.  She likes it if I rub above her tail and I have most recently been squeezing her anus (yuck) on either side and seems to help a bit.  The vet told me he didn't know what her problem could be, other than her glands.  But if they are not impacted and empty, could the problem be internal with her colon or something?  What kind of tests should I ask for?
Has she been spayed?
Yes, she is spayed.
No one has any ideas????
Sorry, I was offline for a while.
I can't say I know what this problem is. I wish I could answer it. It is possible the anal glands are inflamed, or there could be some infection? Obviously she feels some discomfort, or sharp twinges there. Panting does mean she is feeling pretty bad, either she might have a raised temperature, or she has some pain. I would take her back to the vet. Does your vet have no idea what could be the matter? If you don't wish to take her back to the vet's office, there is no reason why you couldn't give them a call, and ask a question. There may be a simple answer. But my instinct is she could do with seeing the vet.

You could ask one of the vets on the "Ask a Vet" forum. Scroll down the page to the right you will see "Related Expert Forums" click on "Animal Health General" (there is now a $15 fee to post a question there.)
I hope you find an answer, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.
She may have an anal fissure or an anal sac abscess - I am suprised a Vet didn't check for that! Sometimes the stool will get impacted so frequently that is starts to make a channel in another direction - seriously! Is there any kind of ulcer or hole near her anal opening? If she is itching or in pain down there, that could be why she is going nuts at night. Can you imagine trying to sleep with that? My sisters dog has this anal sac abscess going on and she also jumps in the air sometimes. They thought it was arthritis. Now I will tell her about your dog having this and she will see what her Vet says. She also has to put on rubber gloves and go in and clean her out sometimes.  By the way, your dog can have these sacs surgically removed. Did your Vet mention this?
My 2 year old miniture schnauzer boy has exactly the same symptoms without the panting. Just to let you know that we have spent thousands of pounds trying to cure him but he is still the same. He has had his anal glands removed, he has had an MRI scan, a neurological examination to diffuse spinal hyperaesthesia, haematology, biochemistry and CSF taps all proven clear. His medication has included Clomipramine, Gabapentin and Rimadyl all with no significant improvement. We are currently trying different diets, To date he has baffled all the vets and me. It is very distressing for him and for my wife and I to watch him going through this, especially in such a young dog, if you get any answers please let me know.
Our 5 year old male is also going through the exact same symptoms of panting, restless at times, glazed look, sore butt, and jumpy.  Have you had any luck in diagnosis since your September 2009 post? We had to take our pet to the animal emergency room the other day due to severe anxiety from his pain. Our regular vet along with the emergency room vet are at a complete loss on a diagnosis. Our pet also has what looks like a tumor or growth right under his tail above the anus. He has stopped eating and drinking unless we hand feed him. He is also having issues with going to potty. I appreciate
Hello & welcome......Post this as a new question on this forum. Give as many details as you can think of. (Things you have tried or what Vets have ruled out). Maybe someone else will respond with help......I'm afraid that this original post is so old, that you may not get a reply.....Thanks, Karla