Dogs Community
Dog that won't stop peeing

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog that won't stop peeing

I am at wits end.  My dog is 17 years old - Shauzer Terrier.  She is in great shape except she seems to have lost her mind about peeing in the house.  She used to be so good and always pee outside with the odd accident in the house but now it seems she doesn't know she is supposed to pee outside.  Every morning I get up and there is pee for me to clean up.  I leave her all day while I work and there is always pee on the carpet when I come home.

When I was in the kitchen this morning I let her outside for a good 1/2 hour and then I let her in and 2 minutes later she peed all of the kitchen floor and walked right thru it.  She has become deaf over the past couple of years so she can't even hear me say "no!".  

What in the heck does a person do with a dog that insists on doing this?  The kids love this dog like crazy and I would hate to see her getting sick.  She is in excellent health other than this horrible habit.  Thank you for any insight you can give me!
I am sure that it is a true pain and a bother and I can understand your frustration.  However, you have to remember your dog is 17.  Maybe she can't "hold it" anymore or getting senile.  If it isn't anything physical (God bless her soul!), then it is just her old age and something you will have to deal with...Buy plenty of Resolve (or whatever you use and try to grin and bear it!)  So many of us would have loved to have our dogs that long.  (Tiffy was here until 12).  So please, try to count your blessings instead of peepee accidents!  So often daily life takes over and we forget the truly important things...In this case, it is your Shauzer Terrier whom I am sure you are giving the most wonderful life!  You must be a great mommy! (even with peepee stains!)
You put this in prespective.  You are right I will just have to "suck it up" and put up with it.  She is a really nice little dog but the peeing is just making me crazy.  I think I will buy one of the soft side cages and maybe keep her in that during the day when I am at work and kids are at school.  Thanks for your email.....
Have you thought about wee wee pads?  I don't know if she would take to it or not.  Hang in there!
Do they have the diapers that your dog can wear? Just a thought :)

Debbie
*the quickest of thread interruptions to give the CL wolfie a few bug hugs.....lol*

Doing a GREAT job here, woman!  :0)
Yes, it is so aggravating when they have their spells of peeing, it seems you can let the doggy out and soon as they come in, whoops, there they go...
Well, I had my husband build me what looks like an outside dog house w/opening and set it on bricks (theres reason for setting on bricks) and bought a baby gate, cause I put one of Chi's who's a Senior, and has trouble, into the bathroom while gone, or while I am not able to watch her...the reason for dog house on bricks is when she pees, its runs under the house and I can clean up or otherwise the house would smell and can't clean good,,,,if you put doggy in crate housing and doggy old they will still pee and you will have to clean the crate and dog after laying in it...its easy for me now, I buy those disenfectant disposable wipes and go in there and wipe up pee and poop, and we are done...this is how I deal w/ my Senior...Its like she has her blankets I wash once a week, I don't even put paper down, she'll miss, LOL, and she steps out about 2" and she can do her business, and she doesn't feel me stressing over odor and mess to clean, so shes more happy cause dogs feel your grief...Good luck to ya!!!
I agree. You might want to try the doggie diapers, at least when you have to leave her alone at home and can't watch her. They sell them at Petsmart and Petco. You just buy according to their weight.
Also, something to think of, my dog just started peeing in the house, too, these last couple of weeks. He had NEVER done that before. I had some tests run and he's been officially diagnosed with Cushings Disease. If she is drinking excessively, back legs giving out and getting a bigger tummy, it could very well be. Also, Diabetes can cause more peeing and drinking. It might be a good idea to get her checked out.
Best wishes.
When dogs start pee peeing and they are older, it is a sign that they are 'old'.  You might want to try pup diapers.
We actually used baby diapers when we had our puppy b/c they were cheaper. just get the diaper cover for the dog.
It can also be a sign of renal failure, and kidney/bladder infections.
My hubbys dog keeps peeing on the bed. She's 12, so we take her more often. She also breaks out of the kennel we have for her. She is a mix of pit and lab. Don't know if it's time to poor her asleep As our 14.5 year old was put down due to kidney failure. Can anyone suggest what they might do? Tired of having to wash the bedding more often and keeping her off the bed doesn't work with her hip issues