Dogs Community
Dog trembling and swollen stomach
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dog trembling and swollen stomach

Hello, we brought a three year old Jack Russell home last week and within a couple of days he became unwell with cold symptons.  He then began trembling and yelping when we touched his stomach area.  The first vet said kennel cough, the second distemper and the third thinks distemper unlikely and it's something else, as now his stomach and the area around his spine are swollen.  A stomach scan and blood tests have revealed nothing and the vets have claimed they've never seen anything like it.  They're going to continue tests, but has anyone on here had a similar issue that could shed some light?  Thanks, Laura.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
675347_tn?1365464245
Well trembling and yelping are a strong sign of pain. So whatever else is happening, I hope he was prescribed some pain relief.

No I have never had a dog with similar symptoms. I wish I had any idea what this could be. I'm clueless to be honest. Hopefully someone else here will have some helpful ideas for you.
His blood results are all normal?? Was that a full blood panel?
Was an Ultrasound performed? And Xrays perhaps?

Blank
Yeah we have been giving him pain relief, but the pain has clearly got a lot worse.  They've done a stomach scan and it all seems fine.  There are no problems with any of his other organs, except they're saying now it could be a neurological issue, but why would that cause his stomach to swell? I'm really hoping there isn't a problem with the brain of course. They will be doing another blood test tomorrow specifically for distemper.  I just feel so sorry for him, he's such a lovely, and usually lively, dog.  :(
Blank
675347_tn?1365464245
It's wise to fully check out the Distemper situation.
But another thought occurred to me. Is he still eating? Pooping? Has he been vomiting? Or trying to? Prior to this problem had he been playing with a toy, maybe chewing on something?
I'm wondering if there could be possibly some intestinal problem or blockage. That can also cause abdominal swelling and pain.
Blank
He only stopped eating on Monday, although I did manage to tempt him with hot dog sausages.  He hasn't been vomiting and has been doing his "business" as normal.  He does enjoy chewing toys but he has this really hard ball so there is nothing he could have bitten off and swallowed.  It's a real mystery at the moment, the vets had to sedate him yesterday as he was trembling so badly.  He's having more tests today, I'll let you know if they reveal anything!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...