Dogs Community
Dog trembling and swollen stomach

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog trembling and swollen stomach

Hello, we brought a three year old Jack Russell home last week and within a couple of days he became unwell with cold symptons.  He then began trembling and yelping when we touched his stomach area.  The first vet said kennel cough, the second distemper and the third thinks distemper unlikely and it's something else, as now his stomach and the area around his spine are swollen.  A stomach scan and blood tests have revealed nothing and the vets have claimed they've never seen anything like it.  They're going to continue tests, but has anyone on here had a similar issue that could shed some light?  Thanks, Laura.
Well trembling and yelping are a strong sign of pain. So whatever else is happening, I hope he was prescribed some pain relief.

No I have never had a dog with similar symptoms. I wish I had any idea what this could be. I'm clueless to be honest. Hopefully someone else here will have some helpful ideas for you.
His blood results are all normal?? Was that a full blood panel?
Was an Ultrasound performed? And Xrays perhaps?

Yeah we have been giving him pain relief, but the pain has clearly got a lot worse.  They've done a stomach scan and it all seems fine.  There are no problems with any of his other organs, except they're saying now it could be a neurological issue, but why would that cause his stomach to swell? I'm really hoping there isn't a problem with the brain of course. They will be doing another blood test tomorrow specifically for distemper.  I just feel so sorry for him, he's such a lovely, and usually lively, dog.  :(
It's wise to fully check out the Distemper situation.
But another thought occurred to me. Is he still eating? Pooping? Has he been vomiting? Or trying to? Prior to this problem had he been playing with a toy, maybe chewing on something?
I'm wondering if there could be possibly some intestinal problem or blockage. That can also cause abdominal swelling and pain.
He only stopped eating on Monday, although I did manage to tempt him with hot dog sausages.  He hasn't been vomiting and has been doing his "business" as normal.  He does enjoy chewing toys but he has this really hard ball so there is nothing he could have bitten off and swallowed.  It's a real mystery at the moment, the vets had to sedate him yesterday as he was trembling so badly.  He's having more tests today, I'll let you know if they reveal anything!
I have a yorkshere terror with same symptoms he is normal and all of a sudden he starts shaking the stomach expands and he is lathargic, he has had X-rays that showed no foreign matter but according to the vet he has gas build up, this gas pushes the organs outward and reduces blood flow, the rear legs are affected so he can't climb stairs, as the gas passes and the stomach get back to normal the shaking and panting stops and the core temperature gets back to normal, he is eating and passing food , this seems to last for half hour to an hour, nothing has changed in his 6 year old routine, he is not an excitable dog he is very normal, the vets are useless after spending $740 I am no closer to an answer, he is on pain relief tablets 2 a day and we are feeding him protein probiotic sachets with food to try to balance his bacteria as having too much bad bacteria could be creating the gas that is upsetting his stomach, so far it hasn't helped but we have another 3 days to go and will see if this helps, we will also try to feed him more often with smaller serves as gulping down a bigger serve could cause problems although we have always given him two meals one in the morning and one at night. I would appreciate any extra ideas from anyone as the vet place I have been to might have an answer if I sell my house to them.
Laurel, I like the above post about gas... but I thought of something else that SURELY the vet would have known, Laurel, but perhaps if your dog was de-wormed, he might get better.  There are wormers in a regular pet store you could use, or the vet can do it.

As for gas, surely there is a de-gasser the vet can give a dog to take with some regularity.  OR could be he's got a twisted bowel, and this consistently causes gas build-up, with just enough food getting thru for him to have a normal bowel action daily.  X-rays would reveal this, I think, but I really DO NOT KNOW any of this for sure.  Just came to me when I read the original post and the last one.
GG  
Did the Vet rule out liver shunt? Did he suggest a change of diet?  
I know you have sent a lot of money already but you might consider getting all the records from this Vet and seeking a second opinion.