Dogs Community
Dog w/Mammary Cancer Up ALL Night

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog w/Mammary Cancer Up ALL Night

My 13yr old spayed pit bull/choc lab w/ mammary cancer has been keeping us up all night whining every 30 mins to go out. Vet says doesnt appear to be in pain, 1 mass looks to ulcerate at any time, could be Cognitive Brain Dysfunction. She's had 2 shots of Depo Medrol in last 2 months, prednisone every 3rd day, (but off that for 2 weeks, since just had another shot) Proneurozone to help stimulate brain function, and we have an antibiotic to start when the area ulcerates. The episodes at night start at the same time, and have been going on for two weeks. Any thoughts, ideas, advice? I cant determine if I need to put her to sleep.
Has the cancer metastasized to the brain?

Does she go to the bathroom when she goes out?  (Many meds can make a dog urinate more and cause diarrhea)

I can't tell you when to put her down.  It's so personal for each dog, owner, and situation.  I was lucky enough that my dog "let me know" when he couldn't fight anymore (he arrested at the vet's office).  Most have to make the decision for their furry friends though.  Does she still have quality of life?  Often that is the question that has to be asked and, "if I was in that situation, what would I want".

This is so hard, I know.   You have my understanding and sympathy.

utah is right about how difficult it is to know when to end suffering.  One great general guideline I use is to think of 3 things that your dog really loves in life that defines who she is.  Maybe it's playing with a favorite toy.  Maybe it's waiting to bark at the mailman.  Whatever it is, you know your dog well enough to know what those things are.  When that last thing falls away, it's time.

In your shoes, I think I would insist on at least trying some mild form of pain management.  Dogs are so stoic when it comes to pain that it makes it very difficult to determine how bad it is.  Since you're dealing with end-stage cancer, I would rather err on the side of providing pain meds even if they may not be necessary.  Tramadol would be a good one to start with.  

Depo medrol is also a steroid.  It's possible the behavior may be related to it, although reactions with depo are generally less than what can happen with predisone.  

What a blow to have to deal with such a horrific cancer.  You're both in my prayers.