Dog with Cushings Disease
Hello. I have a maltese mix who was diagnosed with Cushings Disease several months ago. The vet said there's medication but that it's very expensive and doesn't seem to prolong their life. I made the decision to just watch him and let him live out his life. He's 11 years old. This last year I've noticed a decline in him somewhat but not sure if it's because of the Cushings or just old age. He has trouble with his back legs a lot now just suddenly giving out especially on stairs. He struggles to get up if he's been laying down for awhile. I also don't think he sees or hears as well as he used to. He's overweight which seems to partly go with the Cushings. We have him on a low-fat diet and it doesn't seem to help much. I try to walk him but he tires out easily and I wind up having to carry him home because he'll sit down and refuse to walk anymore! And just last night he was breathing funny. At first he was panting really hard for a long time. I kept checking the AC and turning it on more. Finally he stopped panting but was snoring and making funny noises for hours before he finally quieted down. He has snored before but not sounded like that. Today he's acting ok. Is this all signs of aging? Could some of it be the Cushings? Also, I told the vet sometimes he will try to get up and his back legs act like they're frozen and he can't come to me. I'll call him and he struggles to come but can't for several seconds and then he can walk again. It's weird. I've tried to describe it to the vet. I wish I had a video of it. Could this just be arthritis? Or could he be having a mild seizure from time to time? He's kind of gone down hill more this last year. I wonder, sadly, sometimes if this will be his last year.
Check this article out. http://pethealth.petwellbeing.com/wiki/Dog_Cushings_DiseaseIt will explain everything to you.

My dog was just diagnosed with Cushings she is 10years old. She is a Siberian Husky and she has a longer life expectancy so I am treating her. She has had all the symptoms you describe. Panting, drinking water like crazy, back legs very weak and lost a lot of muscle, eating like a wild dog,up all night has to pee all the time even in the house which she NEVER EVER did before.
She lost her eyesight but that doesn't bother her much. She is on the medication and we shall see if it helps. She just started it a week ago.
It might be a good idea to start thinking about helping your die. It might be the kindest thing you can do at this point. Right now he is suffering.
Thank you so much for responding! I didn't think anyone would. I wasn't sure if these symptoms were Cushings or old age or what. I wish we could afford the medication. It's terribly expensive and we just don't have that kind of money. I really don't think he acts like he's in any pain or anything. If he was, that'd be different. He's very attached to me (always has been) and follows me everywhere and lays by me, but I don't think he acts like he's in pain. He doesn't whine or anything. He even plays once in awhile, although tires out easily. He doesn't have accidents in the house and pretty much sleeps through the night. He does seem hungry and thirsty a lot. The thing I've noticed the most is how weak his legs have gotten.
Can Cushings give them dementia or something like that? Or again, could that be old age? I've noticed that he barks at everything now. He's always been a barker, but he's barking more. It's like he can't see so well or he's forgotten we belong here? Like for instance, when my husband or teenagers come in through the door, he will bark and continue to bark at them even after they're in and he can see who it is. They usually have to pet him and reassure him before he stops barking. Then he'll wag his tail and relax. He even barks sometimes when someone comes up from the downstairs basement.
I don't want to think about putting him to sleep unless I know he's really suffering. Right now, he's acting ok. I hope you dog will be ok too. Thanks again for writing back. God bless.
My mom's dog had Cushings for the last 3 years or so.  they almost killed him with an overdose of meds so she stopped and he seemed good for a while then she put him back on Anapril (?).  He had all the things you said your dog has, weak back legs, couldn't walk, had trouble going up and down stairs, panting, barking over nothing, lost his eye sight, couldn't hear, funny noises while sleeping, all of it.  He got a bad eye infection that required surgery.  After surgery he did not fully recover.  He just couldn't breathe and it got worse.  He was put down on July 21.  It's still hard to think about, he was such a healthy puppy and young dog.  He had so many surgeries in his life but in the end he didn't make it.  Until the last day and the hours before he died, his quality of life was good.

Rhonda Morin
Thank you for sharing your story. I still didn't know much about Cushing's. I thought he was just getting arthritis from getting old. I honestly didn't think it was from the Cushings. I don't want to think about putting him to sleep right now. Overall I don't think he's doing too bad. My vet told me the medication doesn't really prolong their life but can improve the sypmtoms. There's no cure, I guess.
How old was your mom's dog? Willow's 11 years old. That's not too bad I guess. For his breed I think the average life span is 12 to 14 years. I just don't want him to suffer. Right now, he doesn't seem to be suffering. I bought some dog aspirin to give him and some Joint Ensure for his joints. I don't know if that helps or not.
He's had a good life too, I think, especially the last 7 years. I rescued him from the Humane Society. He had been in a dog fight and would have probably been put down. It wasn't his fault. The family that tried to adopt him the first time had a bigger dog that didn't accept him and attacked him. When we first saw him, he looked so pitiful. He had his backside shaved and stiches. When they first brought him out, he was cowering and so afraid. My heart just went out to him. I don't know if he had been abused or not, but he didn't seem to like men. I tend to go for the underdog, the one nobody else would want, so I adopted him! It took a full year to win over his trust and get him to relax. Now he follows me around everywhere I go, even when I go to the bathroom he will sit right outside the door waiting for me! When I was working nights for awhile, my husband and kids said he drove them crazy with his whining and pacing. He didn't like me to be gone! I'm just glad we rescued him. We also rescued my cat from the Humane Society and she was getting ready to be put down, too. I wish I could rescue them all! I drive my husband crazy because I or my teenage daughter seem to find all the strays in the neighborhood! What can I say? I'm an animal lover!
Thanks for writing!
Mine Bernese is 9 and because of rear leg weakness, loss of appetite and general depression, I had the test done again. Her values changed to be a Cushings free dog yet the poor signs above are still here.  No energy at all - Random poor breathing also but xray shows lungs and heart are good. Passed some kidney cells in weak urine. Some compression of 2 discs near her rear and very high white cell count. Its been almost 2 weeks overall - Vet gave a shot of antibiotic and prescribed 3.5 weeks more of doxcycline and amoxicillian. I am very concerned - any suggestions?
TO ALL PET OWNERS WITH A DOG WITH CUSHINGS DISEASE. I HAVE A BRINDLE PIT BULL TERRIER, 11 YEARS OLD.  HER NAME IS TAZ. SHE'S HAD CUSHINGS  FOR 3 TO 4 YEARS. SHE STARTED  DRINKING WATER  EXCESSIVLY AND COULDN'T HELP BUT URINATE ALL OVER THE HOUSE. HER HUNGER WAS LIKE SHE COULDN'T GET ENOUGH FOOD. THEN THE PANTING STARTED ALL THE TIME. I'D WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND SHE WOULD BE WIDE AWAKE CRYING BESIDE HER WATER BOWL. IT WAS SO SAD. I COULD SEE WAS SUFFERING. I TOOK HER TO THE VET AND  HE COLLECTED URINE,CHECKED HER OUT AND HE SAID AFTER TESTS THAT IT LOOKED LIKE CUSHINGS. I LIVE IN TORONTO CANADA SO IT WASN'T EASY GETTING HER MEDS,THERE CALLED VETROYL,IT'S FROM ENGLAND. COSTS $650.00 EVERY 3 MONTHS BUT I DON'T CARE SHE IS TOO PRECIOUS TO ME. SO FAR ITS KEPT HER PRETTY COMFORTABLE, LATELY SHE'S BEEN GETTING THE POT BELLY,LOOSING SOME HAIR AND NOW I SEE A TUMOUR ON HER BACK ANKLE STARTING. THE DRINKING IS STARTING AGAIN AND HER BACK LEGS ARE GETTING WEAK. THE DOCTOR SAID TO GIVE HER A QUARTER PEICE OF MELOXICAM 15 MILLAGRAMS AN ANTI-INFLAMITORY THAT I TAKE FOR MY BACK. THAT REALLY HELPS HER. SHE SEEMS TO HAVE GOOD DAYS AND BAD DAYS. I BOUGHT HER THE LITTLE DOG STEPS TO GET ON THE BED AND I  HELP HER UP ANY BIG STAIRS,THAT REALLY HELPS. I'M ALSO STARTING TO NOTICE CALCIFICATION BUMPS ON HER ELBOWS. JUST PUT SOME VASELINE FOR THAT TO KEEP IT MOISTERIZED. I KNOW SHE 'S GOING DOWN HILL NOW BUT I AM DETERMINED TO BE A GOOD MOM TILL THE END. SHE LOVES TO GO OUT IN THE TRUCK EVEN JUST TO LOOK OUT THE WINDOW AND HER FAVOURITE DOG SHOW IS TOP DOGS. YEP SHE EVEN WATCHES TV. SHE IS SO SPECIAL TO ME. PIT BULLS ARE BANNED HERE IN TORONTO.SO THANKS FOR  LISTENING, I HOPE I HELPED YOU UNDERSTAND A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THIS AWFUL DISEASE AND BE KIND AND LOVING TO YOUR ANIMAL IT WILL BE GIVEN BACK TO YOU TEN FOLD.  SHERRI
I have an 11year pomeranian/terrier/poodle mix.  Not really sure as I rescued her from some homeless people 11 years ago at Lake Shasta, CA while on vacation.  Of course her name is "Shasta".  She has been my baby ever since. I found out that she had cushings about a year and a half ago.  The doctor explained and I looked up the disease to find out more.  I have opted to not go the medication route.  1 reason was the cost but also because I talked to other owners of dogs with the disease who did give the meds and their dogs did OK till the end.  I guess my thinking is that nothing  is going to make it go away and as long as she was feeling OK her life was not too bad. Shasta also started drinking a lot of water but according to the vet she was at the borderline on this.  She does urinate more often but has not had any accidents in the house.  Her stomach is swollen and she no longer can jump up on the couch or into the car.  She has had the other systems with dull coat and hair loss too.  She is now partially blind also.  My worry now is that for the last 3 weeks or so she is not eating much or drinking much and she has been throwing up nearly every day.I have to have her on special prescription dog food due to kidney stones so don't have a lot of options.  I talked to the vet and got the same prescription dog food only in canned.  The first couple of days she ate this good and did not throw up as long as I kept the portions down to a couple of tablespoons.  Now the last 2 days she is not even eating this. I have tried crumbling a couple of potatoe chips (her favorite) and mixing this in with no luck. she still does not eat.  She does not seem to have much energy,although I did take her for a walk yesterday and she did OK.  I was just wondering if anyone has had a dog that seems to be close to the end?  And if you do have you had the problem of your dog not eating and throwing up all the time. She does not appear to be in any pain.  I just hate going to work every day wondering if when I get home she will be gone. Please if anyone has reached this point with their dog let me know - I just don't know who to turn to.  Debbie
Hi I just wanted to let you knows  since I posted my note a couple days ago I have called and talked to my vet.My dogs symptoms are not a part of cushings disease. The throwing up and now not eating are something else.She probably has some kind of tumor other kidney disease. No way to tell with out spending hundreds of dollars( I don't have.) And the bottom line is she is dieing anyway  I just wanted to let you know so that you don't worrry about your dog. According to my vet cushings disease does not stop them from eating and does not make them throw up.  For the last 6 months or so I have had to be careful and pick her up just right or she would cry.  She occasionally threw up but I just thought it was because of the cushings and her stomach being compressed by her other swollen organs. So I guess I should have taken her in long ago,now it is too late. or Good luck to you. Watching your dog die is not something I would wish on anyone!!
I just had to that exact thing: watch my dog die of kidney failure.  I can't think of a bad enough word to describe it.  :-(
Deb, I'm sorry about Shasta. I just saw your posts. If you think she's suffering, you may need to consider putting her to sleep. I know how hard that is. :( I had to put one of my cat's to sleep several years ago. It's not easy, that's for sure. But it's not easy watching them suffer either.  My prayers are with you. ((( Hugs! )))
Our dog, Shadow is a 13 1/2 year old lab.  She has just been diagnosed with Cushings Disease.  She also quit eating, but the vet said it was due to the meds, not the disease.  We cut her meds by 1/2 and she has been doing fine the last 7 days.  We know we are on our last chance with her, and hope each day is a good one.  Thank you for sharing your story, it is a sad time, but it helps to know that others share your pain.
I have an 8 year old male basset hound that has been just diagnosed with Cushing's.  For a few years now he has had arthritis and hip problems as well as chronic ear infections but in reading about Cushing's, I'm now wondering if it was the gradual start of the disease.  Recently, Muggs has been waking us up at 4am to go out to pee and drinks water like it is going out of style, even eating snow outside till he shivers!  He has also had a few accidents in the house (never before) and so this is why I took him into the vet.
The vet is recomending the low dose dexamethesone tolerance test next to see if it is the adreals or the pituitary glands that are being affected, and then he is suggesting lysotren (sp?).  I have read that this drug is very toxic and have real concerns about it.  Does anyone have any suggestions about this drug and their dogs or any general help for Muggs?  Thanks,  Karen.
I just wanted to let you know that our 10 year old little Shih Tzu/Maltease girl has been diagnosed with Cushings. We have not yet put her on any meds but we did do the accupuncture route.  We did all the blood work before her disease was diagnosed and her liver enzymes were sky high.  She went for the accupuncture treatments, 5 in all, and then had her blood work redone and her liver enzymes were still high but had come down alot.  Out vet believes in homopathy treatment and I am glad we were open to this.  We are just taking it one day at a time.
I just discovered this web site and I must say that this forum is such a good and helpful idea.  It lets us all know we have someone to talk to about our dog's problems and know we are not alone.
It is so wonderful to see so many people that love their dogs so much.
I had to put my dog down in December and I could not have made it through without the people on this site.  Welcome and we hope to help in anything we can.
We just discovered that our 11 year old golden retriever has cushings disease.  She is now drinking lots, still eating good, is having accidents at night, sleeps on a cool floor, snores loudly, coughs once in a while, a dry cough, barking alot more even at all the family, has had trouble getting up the stairs, we have found a few lumps.  We can not afford the medicine and really don't want her to suffer, which at this time, she does not appear to be, is there anything else we can be doing?, and how far along does this appear to be?  Thank you for any information you can give me!

March 20, 2008
Tish
We have a 7 year old flat coat retriever who was diagnosed with Cushings about 2.5 years ago.  We put him on vetoryl (imported from the U.K.) and it has helped his symptoms tremendously.  I think he is getting in the later stages of the disease and gets very anxious and barks constantly at nightime.  He has to go out alot more often and seems to be running overly warm all of the time.  The vet said the tumor on his pituitary (which is in the brain) is probably growing and causing cognitive problems (he could even be hallucinating).  It is very sad to us to be losing such a valuable member of our family.
Our 9 year old beagle was diagnosed with Cushings in late Jan after having a horrible seizure.  He was so sick and we were ready to let him go, when our vet gave him Lysodryn.  The result was incredible.  He still staggers around like a little drunk dog, and we had to get a harness for him to help stand him up when he has to go outside, but he has been doing very well.  He takes the Lysodryn (not sure of the spelling) 2x a week and the tablets cost about $7.50 a piece.  We know that our time with him is limited and we make the most of everyday with him. But the Lysodryn for him, was a life saver.  
hi i just put my sweet baby kizmoe to rest 3 weeks ago he had cushings to, , he had been on predsone for years for shin problems ear problems so he took the shots. he had the pot belly and drink a lot to. the last 3 days he was with us he really went down fast he stop eating as much on weds , than thursday i notice he was breathing harder and not eating as much. friday morninghe got up real early went into the living room and laid on his bed when i got up to check on him he had wet on the rug near the back door, he just could not make it out the doggy door i guess, i called the vet, took him in he was laboring for air , he took x-rays said his heart and liver was inlarged( that explained why he no longer laid on his tummy always on his side last 3-4 months) said he had water in his lungs gave me pills to gave him , but told me his out look was guarded and that i would be making a decision in 5 days, took him home he locked his teeth together would not take pill for me or husband , called his dr back , he said if he not take pill he would be gone by sunday but that pill not save him just help him to breath better . i laid on floor for 3 hours loving him and talking to him, he looked right through me, was very uncomfy and sad, i could not go whole weekend with him suffering, so called  vet back took him in , he never walked to the back rooms on his own always trying go out front door but this time he walked back and stop looked at me like its ok am ready. i miss him so much, he took a part of my heart with him, yes he was a dog but to me jhe was my baby boy. he was 17 years old so he out lived his life span and gave me so much love,he was a shihtzu so plz love them and lay them to rest when time. God Bless ya for being great Parents to your babies. Barbara
My lovely Cairn has Cushings, diagnosed last September. She is 13 years old and her name is Bella. She has been on Vetoryl but got traumatised every time she had to have a test at the vets. Terrible panic attacks, we thought she might have a heart attack so we decided to keep her happy and stay away from the vets, just to continue with the Vetoryl at the same dose. She has been slowly going downhill, her breathing is very bad, her stomach very enlarged, she can hardly get up a step. She has developed very large lumps on her joints. I have reduced her Vetoryl and am giving her Cushex drops which have helped with the excessive drinking. I know its just a matter of time now but, I am sure, she is not in pain, just finding life very hard.
How long does one keep her going ? I don't want to have to play God but I know that will come before too long as she is eating less now. But when is it the right time for her to go, I don't know!!!!!!!!
It helps a lot to read all the comments, thanks, Pat
My female chi of 8-9 yrs old, was maybe diagnosed w/ Cushings, her blood elevations were a tad bid high...but, we go again to make sure for she had at the time other related issues that also could raise concerns..
One of the hints for Cushings,,the back legs, but a pot belly...belly looks pot belly..
My dog was just diagnosed with Cushings, and now we are weighing our options.  Has anyone tried a raw meat diet?  Or, any other diet you'd recommend? Thanks!
I have a 5 year old weim that was diagnosed with cushings disease about seven months ago.  Same symptoms...drinking lots of water, accidents in the house, very hungry all the time....  We decided to go the medicne route.  He took lysodren which just didn't keep his labs where they needed to be.  He now takes trilostane twice daily.  He has seemed to improve some.  His pot belly is gone, drinks and urinates less but is still very hungry all the time.  His back legs continue to be weak but don't seem to have gotten any worse.  He means the world to our family and I just hope and pray everyday that we are doing the right thing for him.  He is happy and still loves his walks and does run outside with my boys.  We cherish each day we have with him!
I am sitting here with my 9 year old sheltie "Laney" laying on the floor by me and in tears by all the comments above. In June I came home from work and Laney's back leg was lifted up behind the other one, I rushed her to the vet and they took xrays her right hip was out of socket and the left socket had very little bone left. The Vet was amazed she was even walking. I took her to the surgeon to get evaluated and he came in and said he wouldnt even chance surgery on her hips because he suspected Cushing's because of the thin skin, pot belly, hair loss and drinking alot of water. We did the testing and confirmed it. We arent doing any treatments just a pain pill everyday. The vet says to treat her like a hospice patient now because she has too many strikes against her. She has been fighting every day to be happy and gives us so much joy but today she seems sad and very tired and I keep looking to see if she is breathing.  She has a sister that is 5 months younger than her, how will she react if we lose her ?  The days she has that are good, she smiles and seems so happy and we wonder if she is fighting just for us but is in alot of pain. Are we being selfish to keep her alive?  It doesnt seem fair does it? How do we know when its time?  Best Wishes for all of you!  Melody
Melody & Laney, Just to let you know that although not a Cushings Furkid, I too have (What I call) a "Hospice Patient". He has several of the symptoms of Cushings, but never diagnosed. My Vet says that with all his other problems, it wouldn't really make any difference. I've never heard of anyone else respond to their's as a "Hospice Patient", until now. I'm in tears reading your comments as my questions are the same. We take one day at a time and usually the nights (For Me) are long. I know you understand!!! My guy took a turn for the worse 2wks. ago and I thought I'd loose him. However, 4 Vet visits later, he's laying right here snoring away.  :)  Just want to let you know that I'm thinking about you and yours....My Best Wishes are for you.........Karla
Like some of you, we've chosen not to try the medication after talking over with the vet. I know some of you have younger dogs, and if I did I would probably have chosen differently, as long as we could afford it. Willow is 12, almost 13 now. We've really seen a decline these last few months. Still, he doesn't seem to be suffering so I'm not ready to put him to sleep yet.
I think the reason he barks more now is because he doesn't see so well. He is also peeing a lot around the house. We've been cleaning the carpet a lot but will probably have to replace it. I'm still not quite ready to give up, though.

Willow had a seizure on Tuesday. He threw up all over himself. Poor baby. We did some blood work and it didn't look too bad. They think it's the Cushings. They said the tumor may be pressing on his pituitary gland or something and that may have caused the seizure. Has this happened to anyone else? Have any of your dogs had a seizure? The vet told us it could be a sign that he's nearing the end. :(
Hi Melody, I too had a dog with cushings. We had to put him down on August 10, 2008. I know exactly what you are going through right now. It is absolutely horrible. You will know when the time is right. My dog became very lethargic, his breathing was very very heavy, he was unable to hold his urine(peeing all over the house and on our bed), he was not eating(dogs with cushings love to eat), sleeping, not drinking water (dogs with cushings drink lots of water), he had to be carried to go do his pee, he would not go on walks, all he did was sleep. One day he went to do his number 2 and it was all blood and blood clots and he was very anemic. We took him to the vet, he normally would be freaking out going to the vet, but on this day he had no idea where he was or what was happening. We had to put him down just before 5pm. One of the worst days of my life. We also have another dog, we feared the worst as they have been inseparable for 10 years. We adopted them from different families 4 weeks apart. Pj was and is dealing with this very well. The first night he slept on the couch. He never sleeps on the couch, he always sleeps on the bed. He continued to eat. His ears would perk everytime he would hear Mickey's name. I have tried to not say the word "Mickey" but rather if I want to speak of him I will call him "the little guy". Pj now goes everywhere with us, he is very rarely alone. He has been going on lots of car rides and my mother and I have been sharing him so he is with her when I am at work and then with me the rest of the time. It is working fine. We give him more hugs and cuddle him more so. Just spend lots of time with your other one, let him/her know they are loved. I think Pj knew something was wrong with Mickey his last few weeks. I have considered adopting another dog however Pj is not the most social butterfly so I think we will refrain from doing this as I want him to think he is number 1(which he is). The week we had to put Mickey down, I lost alot of weight. I was unable to eat and felt very very selfish for putting him down. I felt selfish eating because I know how much he liked to eat. I feel sad everytime I get a treat for Pj and think Mickey would love to be eating this treat as well.  

If I can give you one word of advice that to this day I regret not doing? At the vets office the dr asked my husband and I if we wanted to be with Mickey when he was put down. I said no because I was being very selfish, my husband also said no he would not be able to do this. Can I tell you that to this day I regret not being with him and holding him. I will never ever ever allow another dog of mine to be alone if we have to put him down.
Take care and email me if you ever want to chat.                  
Melody, I agree with the others. You will know when the time is right. I know you don't want your dog to suffer. It's a difficult decision. Please feel free to come back on and share with us. We can all support and encourage each other.

seajess, please don't feel bad for not being with your dog when he was put down. I couldn't do it either when I had my cat put to sleep. I left her at the vets and practically ran back to the car and bawled all the way home. The vet sent a sympathy card a day or so later and said she went right to sleep.
Everyone's different. Some can handle it, some can't. My mom decided to have the vet come to our house to put my little poodle to sleep. She wanted her to be as comfortable as possible and be with her. I was a teenager at the time and couldn't handle it. I was mad at my mom and ran out of the house. I regret that now that I didn't support my mom during that time. But my mom said it was the hardest thing she had ever done. She was holding her when the vet put her to sleep and it happened so fast my mom said she didn't get the chance to hug her one last time. She now says she can't do that again. It was just too hard. That's why I said don't be hard on yourself for not being there. Everyone's different, not everyone can do that.

I honestly don't know if I can watch when the put Willow to sleep. I guess I'm a wimp, then. I know he's going downhill and I don't know how long he's got. I just don't want him to suffer. I'm just going to take one day at a time. I think, like you guys, that I'll know when it's time.

Hugs to everyone! And hugs to our "babies". God bless you all!
Hi April2, thank you for the kind words.

Just remember to live every life with Willow as if it is the last day. Take care.Please keep us posted.  
My 11 year old dalmation mix was just diagnosed with cushings.  She has had the excessive drinking, urinating with occasional accidents.  However, she still seems to have some spunk in her.  She still wants to play with her toys and with me.  I am starting her on the loading dose of Lysodren today.  I am picking it up at the vets later tonight.  I have been reading this posts and am getting a bit nervous about this medication and whether or not it will help her symptoms.  I want to give her a better quality of life and a longer life.  I don't want to see her suffer.  But it seems that a lot of these dogs who have been treated with Cushings seem to still suffer.  I am very heartbroken.  I want my coco to be around for a few more years.  She has been my joy since she was a pup.  
I have a Beagle, Suzie, who has Cushing's disease.  She was diagnosed in 2002. She was drinking water faster than I could pour it in the bowl and urinating all thru the house. The vet checked everything and could not find out what was wrong with her. When her sides bloated out, I was really concerned that she had idney failure. The vet assured me that everything checked out OK. I did some research online and found out that her symptoms could be a sign of Cushing's Disease. The vet said that something in her bloodwork was slightly elevated which could be a sign of the disease. Since his office does not test for Cushings, I had to find another Vet that did. Turns out, she had the disease. The reason I am posting this is that I want all of you to know that you do have options to treat your dog with this disease. The internet is the best at finding out all there is to know about this disease. It is managable, especialliy if caught early. The reason most articles say that life expectancy on medicine is only 2 years is becuase most dogs that get Cushings are already 10-12 years old. Also, many articles posted are old and new drugs have come out now that can treat the disease. My dog was 6 (we think) when she was diagnosed. We chose the drug Lysodren as a treatment. I really should have had more scans done to see if she had the adrenal form of the disease as I may have considered the surgery and she would have been cured of this disease. We really think now that my dog has the adrenal form and not the pituitary form of the disease. My beagle had to take one Lysodren pill per day for 7 days and then 1 pill per week thereafter.You also have to keep a Predisone prescription on hand in case your dog has a reaction to the lysodren (this is rare). My dog has been on Lysodren now for 6 years. The medicine did not work right away. In fact, her bloodwork did not return to normal until about 2 years. The doctor was patient and kept adjusting her meds until one day it worked. For about  2 years, then, her bloodwork was perfect. Now, she starting to have a little bit of a relapse which is normal. Most dogs will have a relapse and the medcine needs to be adjusted. Dogs who have a relapse may need to go on 1 pill per day for 7 days like in the beginnning. Her bloodwork is way off again now, so we have to increase her meds to 3 pills per week instead of 1 1/2 pills per week. She also just started with the hind leg weakness and can't go up tall stairs. She has also been falling a bit because her belly is bloated again and he legs can't support her weight. She also collapsed today and took a few minutes to come around. I have to call my vet in the morning, but I am confident that this medicine will kick in and she will be back to normal again soon. I am an advocate of the Lysodren. It really does let dogs with Cushings live a normal life. Had we not put her on this medicine, we would have lost her years ago. If you have a dog with Cushing's, you have ot be patient, give the medicines as directed, and take your pet for periodic bloodwork.If you ignore the symptoms and pass them off s "old age" you may run out of time to try anything. My best advice would be to shop around for the Lysodren. I was initially told that only Giant Eagle in  my town carried it and I was paying $8 per pill X 4 pills per week! I now get it for $4 a pill. Pharmacies will order it for you if they know you will be a regular customer. Also, most pharmacies will price match. When she was on one per per week, it was obviously affordable. The testing is about $130 per visit. At first, I had to take her 2-3 times per year.  When she responded too the medicine, I only had to take her once a year for testing. If you can't afford treatments, there are organizations who may be able to assist you.  You just need to research them in your town. Again, the internet is your best bet for information, or try your local Library. Also, you vet may be willing to work out a payment plan with you. My advice would be to not be so quick to put your pet down. Most people make the mistake of thinking these symptoms are from old age and in many cases, it's Cushings Disease. It's worth investingating and it's worth taking a chance on the meds. You may be able to get a couple of more good years with your pet. My vet has another patient who's been on the Lysodren for 8 years now. Most dogs don't die from Cushings. They die from complications that occur from the disease if left untreated. One more side note, there is a new medicine in the UK that treats Cushings and it is supposed to be a wonder drug for the disease. It's called, Vetoryl®, active drug: Trilostane a/k/a Modrastane.  It is supposed to be way more effective than Lysodren. The problem is that the FDA has not approved it in the U.S. yet. You can purchase it online, though and have it shipped here. I am not sure on the cost as I have never purchased it because the Lysodren starting working on my dog. I hope all of this helps all of you. I wish you all the best with your pets. I know how it feels to worry. We love them so much!
My 11 year old Shepherd mix, Hector was diagnosed with (Adrenal) Cushings a few years ago. I'm happy to report that he's still hanging in there. Maybe I can offer some advice or suggestions about what I give him. His particular medication to treat the Cushings is not too expensive, but he's also on a host of other supportive supplements.

To control the Cushings, he takes LYSODREN (1/2 pill, 2 times a week)

When he loses his hair, I have his Thyroid tested and every time it's off! When I adjust his Thyroid medication, his hair grows back in perfectly and stays for a long time. He still has his full, thick coat or fur.

To support his stiff joints I give him the following:

DASUQUIN  (high levels of Glucosomine/Chondroitin)
MSM (available at Trader Joes)
HYAL-JOINT  (this is great stuff for arthritic dogs) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU238/ItemDetail?n=4294967188

For any pain he might be in, he takes RIMADYL, but only if he's eaten.
For his leaky bladder issues he's on PROIN.

And to help take the edge off, he's on RECONCILE.  My vet says there's a generic (less expensive) version available. If he still can't sleep, he gets a little BENADRYL (Dyphenhydrochloride 25 mg)  (the generic version is cheaper)

Man, that whining and pacing at night can be pretty crazy making!

Good luck everybody, I hope this helps.

Donna

My Beagle was diagnosed with cushings about 2 months ago.  She had a big belly with spindles for legs.  Her back leg was weak.  She was up at least 4 times at night to pee and I had to keep her water bowl full all the time.  She was soooooooooo hungry and that is saying something for a Beagle because they are always hungry anyway.  Lucky, we have a doggie door and she always had access to the yard.  We have placed her on Vetoryl and I have to say it is amazing.  She back to normal and I am so happy.  She will be 9 years old in May and I am hoping she will be around for many years to come.  The pills cost me $236.00 dollars a month including the fee for the government.  You know they have to have their share!  Thanks to those pills my baby girl is doing great!
I have a 9 year old Bassett Hound, Lady, that was diagnosed with Cushings about two weeks ago...the kind caused by a non-cancerous tumor in the pituitary gland.   She had the same symptoms mentioned, excessive urination...thought it was a bladder infection, put her on antibiotics and when she didn't get better through more testing found out she has Cushings.  She has the excessive drinking, urnination, some panting, seems a little disoriented at times...and has constant b.m.'s (approx. 6 a day if not more) and they were soft.  I'm happy to report that Trilostane has now been approved for use in the US...was just approved 2 weeks prior to my Lady being diagnosed.  This drug can only be used with dogs having Cushings due to the pituitary...not the adrenal gland.  I've had her on the medication now for 10 days (60mg..based on her weight).  It costs approx. $80 per month (30 day supply).  Lady is at the vet now having a blood test to see if the dosage she's on is the right dosage for her & to see how the Trilostane is working for her.  The blood test runs about $200 but after this test...if all goes well, she won't need another test for about 3-6 months.  She'll be on the medication once a day for life.  If Lady was in pain I wouldn't put her through this, but aside from the urination and drinking alot and the b.m.s (which have now become more solid since she's been on the meds)...she's not in any kind of discomfort.  I haven't noticed much of a change after 10 days on the meds aside from her stools becoming more firm, but I've read it can take up to a month to notice a change in her symptoms.  I'll keep you posted.
I have a black Pomeranian. His name is Alfa. Alfa is 10 years old. He to has cushings really bad. He is on a medicine called Trilastate. Today 3-22-09 he is not doing well at all. Alfa is very quiet, not moving, not eating, drinking, or looking at me. I'm scared he is slowly dieing. The medicine does cost a lot of money, so does the testing. I am crying all day,he is my baby.
Oh honey, I'm so sorry! I know how this must hurt. I will say a prayer for you and your doggy. I just watched "Marley and Me" and they said in the movie that you will know when it's time to let them go. It's a hard decision but I pray your dog will let you know when he's ready.

*Big Hugs*
I have am American bulldog, 6 years old, he has been constantly drinking water and having to urinate, he cries to go out in the middle of the night to urinate I let him out and sometimes he doesn’t even urinate he looks for water around the yard.  Accidents in the house are very common.  He used to be solid as a rock and now I'm noticing that he's lost muscle definition.  I took him to the vet about 5-6 times and they have tested his blood and urine number of times and haven’t found anything wrong with him.  A couple of weeks ago he started loosing his fur on both side of body and also has lumps all over his paws.  I took him to the vet again and was told it's a skin infection or allergy.  I was told to give him an antibiotic for 20 days and if no improvement to have him tested for Cushing’s.  Am I wasting my time with antibiotics?  Should I have him tested?  
Hello All:

I have a ten year old beagle mix (Baby) who has been diagnosed with pituitary Cushings.  She has always loved to eat (what beagle doesn't), but recently inhales her food as soon as it has been given to her, it is as if her appetite is insatiable.. She has also taken an interest in the trash, and seems that she cannot consume enough water, which of course causes her to urinate all over the house. She looks as if she has a pot belly, consistent with cushing's I know, and she seems so tired all of the time.  To add a little fuel to the already uncontained fire, she has suddenly lost her vision.  I hate this for her.  She finished one round of 500mg of Lysodren, which lasted about 10 days. She seemed to tolerate the meds pretty well, her stools were normal, still had quite the appetite, I thought she was doing pretty good. Dropped her off at the vet's office for her ACTH stim. test this past Tuesday.  Since Tues., I have noticed that she seems so tired, or lethargic.  I honestly don't know the diffence between the two these days.  Her appetite is somewhat depressed,  she will eat, but not the instant her bowl is given to her.  I can't stand seeing her this way.  The vet called this afternoon and reported that her ACTH test indicated that the Lysodren had done its job, and that we needed to figure out a maintanence dose for her.  As soon as I told him that she seemed lifeless, he was concerned and wanted to see how the weekend goes before we gave her anymore Lysodren.  He also wanted a call if any diarrhea was present.  I love this dog as if she were a child, I do have three children as well.  I want to do everything within my power to give her the best quality of life that she can have.  I understand that there is no cure for this disease, and treating it will no way give her a longer life span, but again, I want the remainder of her life to be as pleasant as possible,  I want her to be happy again, plain and simple.  I don't want to give up hope just yet, it seems a lot of dogs do remarkably well with the treatment.  I also would like to know how soon you see results after treatment begins.   I know she must be uncomfortable with her belly, and going suddenly blind, it has to be terrifying.  My question is how do I know when it is time for her to be put to rest?   I would feel tremendous sadness that I let her go before I had exhausted all possible means of treating her.   She almost seems, simply put, sad, and it is breaking my heart.   I don't want her to suffer anymore.  It is, as if, she has turned into another dog.  She has been my sweetest dog that I have ever owned, and there have been several, I don't want to cause her anymore misery, just because I want her here with me.   I will at least wait until Monday to see what the Doc says, and if there is no improvement over the weekend, i just don't know,  This is agony!  Any input would be GREATLY appreciated as family members and friends don't understand this uber-complicated disease!  It is obviously keeping me up at night as it is now 1:40 in the morning!  Please excuse my poor writing, I actually am somewhat tired, but will gladly give up sleep to find information/advice that I can. Thanks for giving me your time-S.Davenport
Please, will all of you let me know how your dog is doing with Cushings?

I must say that Cushings is NOT a death sentence. Not at all..if treated in time.
My Poodle is getting better on Trilostane...aka Vetoryl.. aka Modrastane.
It is now available in the USA & it is not a terrable amount of money..price varies acording to your dogs weight which in turn regulates what dosage she/he takes.

I see a big difference in Julie's personality & symptoms, her hair is back in full force .
Her symptoms are getting better. Not great yet but better than before.

Please don't give up on your dog. Trilostane does work..there are no side effects for my Julie either..She is 14 lbs & 9 yrs. old.

I suggest anyone interested to please read my posts.

Happy Mothers Day to you all.

S Davenport: I would suggest that you back of the Lysodren for now. My beagle has been on it for years, and this past Dec., when her Cushing's numbers started creeping up the doc increased her medicine by way too much! All of a sudden, she became lifeless, tired and TOTALLY refused food for a week! I had to get some pet milk in the store and force it down her throat to keep her alive. She even collapsed one day and passed out! I researched online that when the Lysodren destroys too much of  the Adrenal gland, that this could happen! The overdose throws the dog into the opposite disease, Addison's Disease. In fact, some docs will purposely do this because Addison's is somewhat easier to deal with then Cushings. To counter the overdose of Lysodren, the vet immediately gives the dog Prednisone (spelling??). As soon as my dog got that first dose of Prednisone, she bounced back and is 100% happy and healthy! She gets a low dose of Prednisone daily now and we continue to monitor her bloodwork every four months or so. So, far, she has not had to go back on the Lysodren. Just some food for thought before you make any drastic decisions. Try discussing this with your vet. I know I had to convince my vet that this was what was happening with my dog. He didn't believe it could be so, because over the years, we could never get my dog's Cushing's numbers low...but, when he ran her Cushing's test he saw that the numbers were WAY too low! Some times it helps to brainstorm with your vet. They are not God and you really need to be proactive with them just as you are with your own doctors. Hope this helps!
S. Davenport: P.S. We believe my dog has the adrenal form of the disease and not the pituitary kind.
Diane
Thank you Diane,  for your information.  I will have to agree with you on the prednisone.   The Doc had given me the steroids just in case of abnormal GI problems, which all were normal.  I gave her a dose of prednisone yesterday morning, and by early afternoon, she was walking around sniffing for food. He only gave me four pills which are 5mg. I know that his (doc) plan includes lysodren about twice a week, and then blood work, and so forth.  I will most definitely tell him that the steroids really seem to help her.  I also am wondering (after hours of research of the endocrine system) if she is to maintain a daily dose of prednisone will this push her into the other, less common form (Iatrogenic-or something spelled like that)?

I was just wondering also if your beagle was heavy, and if so, did she lose any of her weight?

Thanks again for responding. Most, not all, but most people do not treat their dogs as I treat mine.  They think it's insanity, what all I am doing, and they most certainly do not know one thing about Cushing's.   It is nice to know I am not the only one.  Again, thanks so much, and have a great day!

Great news! But, PLEASE check with your vet before giving her the Prednisone! It is only to be given in case of emergency and we were told not to give it to he unless we called them first. My beagle has been on Lysodren for about 7 years. She only had this one set back over the holidays. That's the first time we had to give her Prednisone. I was a little surpised that the vet keeps her on it daily now.  I thought it was just a one time thing. I also worry about giving her that because it's tough on the liver. I am also surpised that I don't have to give her Lysodren any more as there is no cure for Cushing's. But we are following the vet's advice. He doesn't think she'll ever have to go back on the Lysodren...but we have to monitor her bloodwork a couple of times a year to be sure. She is WAY good! Her appetite is always good...but, then again she is a BEAGLE! She is not drinking nearly as much water as she used to when she was frst diagnosed. Her symptoms never totally went away on the Lysodren. In fact, she still gets up 2-3 times at night to go out...but, she is 11 now. She is the kind of beagle that's built a little more stout. She did get a HUGE bloated belly when she was fist diagnosed. I was so worried she had kidney failure till I found out that it was Cushing's! She got most of  the weight off, but she is a solid dog!  I like her that way! She's cute! It's always good to have a little more weight on them, I think...especially when she had that episode and wouldn't eat for 9 days! She couldn't even drink water!!! She even disloacted her shoulder because she was so weak and kept falling down the steps. When a dog's Cushing's gets really bad, one of the symptoms is weakness in the back legs. I was soooo worried! She lost a few pounds that week! Ayway, once she got her appetite back, we had to wait a couple of weeks for her shoulder to heal! She's all good now! I swear, though, every time something happens, I immediately think Cancer or that the ned is near! I worry so much about her and my other 2 dogs (my oldest is 14 and s on heart meds). We believe our beagle is pure bred, but not 100% sure. She showed up @ our house one Christmas Eve. morning in 1998. She may even be as old as 13, but we're going with that she is 11. Don't worry about what people think. If people think that we are crazy, then they don't know what it's like to love a dog! They are a member of our familes and if they need medical care, we do it...just like we would for one of our children or any other family member! It's not easy, it's not cheap and sometimes it's not in our budgets, but we do it because we have to! I would give my right arm to keep my beagle healthy and happy as long as I can! Just remember, you and your family have to be patient with this disease. It is very tricky and changes could happen immediately or never at all. Just monitor your pooch, keep your vet updated and contnue to learn about the disease online. When you're reading info, make sure of the date th info was written. There have been so many advancements made for this disease, and the older articles can be misleading. I would also check into that new medicine that was mentioned above, I think it's called, Trilostane??? It is only available in the UK but you can have it shipped here...although I am hearing now it's in the U.S.??? It is supposed to be WAY better than the Lysodren and it doesn't cause the dangerous side effects that my dog went thru. You should aks your vet about it. It may be easy to change meds since you just started on the Lysodren. Hope this helps! Good luck with your beagle!
No offense, but would you guys mind starting a new post to chat with each other? It just hurts to see my old post pulled up since my dog just died last month. It's kinda hard to see. I hope you understand. And I wish you both the best with your dogs. God bless.
So, sorry for your loss!
Thank you. :o)
My Cassie a Cocker has Cushings. It broke my heart when we had it confirmed. My Mothers dog and sisters dog also had it so I knew what we were in for. My Mother tried all the gammit of medication the vets put her dog on. They seemed to help for maybe 6 months but then it just made her worse and she slept all the time. My Mom took her dog off all medication and saw an improvement in her for a few months...she slept less and they had more quality time together. My sister choose not to give the medication and her dog was fine for 2 years until her kidneys shut down. I chose this route for my Cassie.... not medications that would make her sleep our time with her away. I started cooking her dog food of ground turkey and green beans and she loves it. I also found some vitamins that made a HUGE difference in her symptoms. Her thrust is gone, all of her skin infections, her coat is soft, panting has stopped and she has more energy. Its from NUVET Labs. I think every dog should be on this. Theres a guy that I found online that gives you recipes on what to feed a dog with cushings to make them healthier. Look it up, I downloaded his whole book online for 30 something. It has given us more control.  Anyone that says Cushings isnt a death sentence is crazy...it is...a slow one and breaks families hearts.

Blessings everyone,
Cassies Mom
My poodle has/had Cushings Disease in the most severe form. Now,  three months after treating my Julie with TRILOSTANE.. I recieved the call from my Vet who said her numbers are now back to NORMAL.
Whoo Hoo... I am so happy.
To all of you out there who look at Cushings as a dismal disease...here is your savior. TRILOSTANE!!
This drug is great & the most my 13.5 lb poodle was on is 22.5 mg.  NO side effects at all. I saw a change after the first month.  Julie's body hair was growing back. WOW was I ever happy. Little by littlie I saw many other symptoms go away. She is back to herself. Thank you God.
I had The TRILOSTANE compounded by a online pharmacy in N.J..  My Vet contacted them & approved it.
It is available in chicken flavor pill form or capsule form. I had to switch to capsule & disguise it in mashed sweet potato.  No problem. I crushed the pill & Julie hated it...no-matter how I hid it. So I switched to the capsule & that was great.

Cushings is NOT a death sentence, contrary to what people here have said, so please have hope for your dog.
But.......please try TRILOSTANE...NOT Lisodren, which is way too dangerous.
Julie is still always hungry & drinking less, but we think the hunger is a habit now.
I have her on a low protein diet We have to see if the protein count is down. My Vet thinks that high protein count may be from Cushings.
She has to be tested for that, in the future. Hopefully it's not Kidney Disease.
For today, I am a happy woman.

So sorry for your loss, April2

We have been going through lots of stress and tears over the last few days. I have a 10 year old basset, George, who has Cushings and has been on a once a week dose of Mitotane for a couple of years now. The Cushings seems to be somewhat under control. He drinks a lot, but thank goodness, no problem with accidents in the house as others seem to have.
He seemed a bit "off" last weekend - I noticed him panting in the house which I noted as a bit odd. Then he began throwing up the next day. Third day he would not eat - definitely a bad sign with a basset! I took him to the vet and he said he was in liver failure and he did not sound too overly optimistic. He put him on a strong antibotic IV and fluids for a couple of days thinking that it could be bacterial. He seemed to respond well and we brought him home - only to have him throw up a couple of times the day after we brought him home (yesterday). I will be calling the vet as soon as they open this morning.
The vet seemed like the antibiotic treatment was his only real option and if it didn't work then it may just be the end of the line as George will continue into complete liver failure. He never really mentioned any possible association with the Cushings and the liver failure.

Has anyone else had any liver related issues with Cushings??

Sending lots of positive energy to all of you and your pups!! as well as lots of basset hound drool filled get well wishes!!

I'm so sorry to hear how poorly your basset is doing. I know it hurts to see our pets so sick or in pain. I will say a prayer for you and your doggy.
I don't know if my dog had liver failure. I didn't have them run any tests. I have a feeling his organs were shutting down fast, though, because a few weeks before he died he cut way back on his eating and was losing weight. So we coaxed him with wet food for awhile, which he seemed to like. Then the day before he died he refused to eat or drink, was just kind of laying around and had bloody diarrhea. My heart sank because I knew it was the end for him. I didn't want him to suffer and when I looked in his eyes he looked so tired and sick. I took him to the vet to have him put to sleep and it was the hardest thing I've had to do. He went gently, thank God. But I cried and cried. This is the part of being a pet owner that I hate. I don't look forward to that with my other pets. They give us so much unconditional love. I just want to always do the best for my pets and take care of them.
Keep in touch and let us know what happens, ok? God bless you and your little basset hound. Prayers and blessings to you both.
Well we lost our 10 year old border collie Hailey yesterday (6/22/2009) and my heart goes out to all you that have gone through this or are going through this. It's devastating.  Hailey was our baby, like all of you I know what that means when you say that. We were blessed with Hailey 10 years ago after our first year of marriage.
3 weeks after we had her, she got very sick and was diagnosed with Parvo.  The Vet gave her a 20% chance she would pull through because she was so young. But in only 3 weeks she became such a big part of our lives we couldn't let her go. I had just lost my father 5 months prior and I felt personally responsible to keep this little puppy alive.
So I quit my job and stayed home with her feeding her and keeping her hydrated from a syringe. She bounced back 100% and she lived a happy life, but last year
in September 08' after we noticed the signs of cushings...water consumption, appetite increase and loss of hair. We had her tested and the Vet was honestly in shock that she was doing as well as she was.  We started her on lysodren immediately and we did notice her water and food consumption returned to normal. She even grew back some of that thick gorgeous black n' white hair Border Collies are known for.
It wasn't until about 4 months ago that we noticed she was leaning to one side alot and her face was droopy on that side. We suspected a stroke and the doctor confirmed, but after a month or so she seemed to recover from that.
She had really good days...running around in the yard, chasing our other puppy Sophie, but then she would have the days where she was very lethargic. Never seemed to be in pain though.
Then this past Sunday on Fathers Day she didn't seem herself and she had stopped eating and drinking. For the first time she began to cry when she laid down. she was constantly pacing around the house...she started running into walls and would lay down but then after 10minutes she would start crying again and start pacing all over again. Her legs being so weak it was killing me to watch her struggle like that. Sunday night I stayed up with her all night watching her repeat that pattern. She didn't sleep all night...and only managed 20 minutes of sleep sunday morning. before she woke up to repeat the pacing. I never left her side for 12 hours, using a syringe to give her water or small pieces of ice. She just wouldn't take it anything.
We called the vet as soon as they opened because we knew what we had to do, but they said they did that type thing at 6pm. Well there was no way any of us could watch her or let her be in pain for that long...so we called the vet back and they took us as soon as they could. Hailey finally could no longer walk...and we got her favorite blanket and carried her to the truck. She never once looked scared or cried on the way to the vet or when I carried her in. She was so good! We opted to stay with her through the whole thing...and although it breaks your heart anyway you look at it...I couldn't leave her side. Hailey is finally at peace now, and I try to remind myself that we had 10 years with her that we probably never should have had...that helps for about 2 mins then the reality of it all sets in.

We're worried about our other pup Sophie. That was Hailey's shadow...and Sophie isn't eating and she's hiding under the bed, which she never did before.

thank you all for sharing your stories...it does help.

That's how my dog was when we took him to the vet. He was calm, didn't act scared at all and he normally hates going to the vet. I think he was just so sick at that point he didn't care. I stayed with him too, even though that was so hard on me. I'm grateful he went gently and quickly. Still, it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do.
We now have 2 puppies. I wasn't planning on getting another dog that fast but it just kind of happened. They in no way could ever take Willow's place. They aren't even a bit like him. But they sure are a distraction and fun to watch play, etc.
I wonder sometimes when they're old if one goes before the other how it would be. I've heard it can be so hard on the dog left behind. I've heard it can help to get the other dog a new friend. It might be something to consider. You could take Sophie to the pound or a rescue place and let her pick out a dog. I've heard of people doing that. In the meantime, give her lots of attention and love right now. As I'm sure you know, animals grieve just like we do.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I do understand. God bless you.
Thank you so much!
I know we made the right decision but it's still like you said..the hardest thing to do. I'm still in shock really.
We were always afraid we'd come home from work to find Hailey had passed but we were able to spend all night and day with her and she never was alone.
I feel terrible for leaving Sophie alone today but we both had to go back to work.  I'm definitely NOT ready to be here right now, but here or home...the feelings are the same
My wife, however is going home during lunch to check on sophie. My wife started going home for lunch to check on Hailey & Sophie when we found out Hailey was sick last year.  She did that because it made me feel better about leaving them and i appreciate that so much.

thanks again!
I just wanted to give a short story for those that learn when thier little baby is diagnosed with cushings.  I have 9 year old, pure breed yellow lab.  He was diagnosed with Cushings about a year ago.  He had all the classic symptoms, which in retrospect I should have picked up earlier.  He was storing weight at a plump 100 pounds.    

After all the testing, ultrasound and thousands of dollars, they determined it was a pituitary tumor causing the disease.  Based on his moaning, hind leg weakness and other issues I though I would have to put him down.  The thought of this broke my heart and I would pay any amount to keep him well.

He began the Lysodren loading treatment and didnt seem to get any better.  I learned that patience is crucial during this phase.  He stopped eating, began to lose hair and was having some serious skin issues.  I was becoming more skeptical that this would work.  His loading phase was extended as his blood levels were not responding.

Then he began breaking his teeth (slab fractures).  A lesson learned that I want to share:  Do NOT give your dog rawhide bones when on Lysodren.  Their teeth weaken and will break easily.  As time when on and regulating his prednisone on bad days, we finally found the balance.  His maintenance dose is three per week and now the symptoms are gone.  He is also back to a healthy 75 pounds.  His energy is back and he's a playfull little puppy.  He misses his daily rawhide, but its for the best.  For those that get discouraged, be patient.  Of course the monetary side of this is devistating, but we as true animal lovers know its so worth it.  

I have been reading this site for a while to learn about this early on and I just wanted to post to say thank you.  Also to give a light of hope that they can recover and still live a happy life with this disease.

Life is so uncertain.  About an hour after I wrote my last comment.  My maverick died in my arms on the way to the emergency vet.  I tried cpr on him while my wife drove fifteen minutes to get there.  I should have just kept my mouth shut.  

Oh hon, I'm so sorry you lost your dog. I totally understand. They're our babies. I lost my dog 2 months ago to this horrible disease.
I like to think God has a special place in heaven for our pets since they're one of the few innocents of this world. I pray God will comfort you in your time of grieving and give you peace. God bless.
Thank you, it's been a very hard day for our family.  

Beside the normal missing the clicking of the paws everytime the bread drawer opens, I have noticed an unbelievable void with respect to his illness.  I have spent countless hours making sure he was comfortable, covered with a blanket, not itching, not licking, applying his hot spot ointments, making sure he was not to warm from the meds, giving his numrous meds throughout the day, watching his skin, monitoring his teeth, monitoring his bowels, countless trips for bloodwork..etc etc.  And it's only been a day.

I have been so busy taking care of him, I didn't realize how much care he needed.  I guess he is truly at peace and in a better place.  

Just when you think they have recovered.....What a horrible disease. :(
I am so sorry to hear about what has happened to your dog. So shocking, especially as he seemed  much better.
There are hardly any words to describe that void when a dog has gone. I know. You will miss those health routines because they were an important part of his life.
Many of us here have had the experience of losing a dog before. It never gets any easier. If you need someone to talk to there is always someone who understands here.
Thank you.

The onset was unreal.  He was feeling fine and 30 minutes later, his mouth was cold, gums and tongue turning white.  Could barely walk and panting.  He wasnt crying though and thank goodness he was on painkillers from his recent tooth extraction.

I have never seen an animal die so quickly without any type of external trauma.  Im just glad he died in my arms looking in my eyes, instead of all alone in his favorite hiding spot.

I'm sorry to keep posting.  Im having such a hard time (guilt) with how he just suddenly turned for the worse.  I feel so cheated.  Has anyone else ever dealt with that or know anything about it.  
Post all you like, Mark. It's a hard time for you, and it's hard to come to terms with these things.  No I haven't known the same thing. I have to admit I don't know a lot about Cushing's. It does seem strange your dog died so very suddenly, from being ok to sudden complete collapse.
I understand. It seemed so fast for me too, although not as fast as yours. He was showing more and more of the signs of Cushings; the peeing in the house (he couldn't hold it anymore), excessive drinking and towards the end he had hair thinning. Still, I thought we'd have another year or so. All of a sudden though he stopped eating and drinking and the last day vomited and had bloody diarrhea. I knew what I had to do but I wasn't ready. I wanted more time. I wanted more time to cuddle him. I didn't even get to cuddle him that long. It all happened so fast. But someone told me to look in their eyes and they will let you know when it's time. When I looked in his eyes he looked sick and exhausted. I didn't want him to suffer. Still, it was the hardest thing ever, letting him go. I understand. It will take some time. Allow yourself to grieve. Just take one day at a time. The pain will ease but you will never forget him.

God bless you.
I spoke with our family vet... They think it was bloat.  We wasnt very active and didn't east fast, so its strange.  Now im filled with guilt because I could have done something, if I only would have acted sooner.
Hi Mark,
Even if it WAS Bloat.....Bloat is a very touch-and-go scenario anyway. Many many dogs don't survive the surgery for it. It does kill dogs very fast indeed. SOMETIMES there is something you can do, but the percentage of deaths can be high.  Also surviving that would depend a lot on the dog's general fitness.
I cannot see anything you might have done wrong. Honestly.
Thats true.  With the cushings it was so unpredictable, his health was so up and down.  Especially since the first 20 minutes (the night of death) his symptoms were exactly the same as when his levels were off and acting weird.  For some reason he wanted to go for a walk before he died, which was his favorite thing in life (except of course strawberry licorice).  I think he knew it was time and just wanted to have that time together.  

Unfortunately the images, sounds etc of doing CPR on him has been a bit much to cope with.  At least he died with me touching him and looking into my eyes.

Thank you for the reassurance.      

Mark
I'm very sorry for your loss...Your story was very close to mine down to the red licorice. There's such a large void after you lose your best friend, and you're exactly right...You don't realize how much of yourself you put into caring for a dog with cushings. You life revolves around your best friend and you'd have it no other way.
The people on here are very kind and having people around that understand helps.
I wish I could offer some helpful advice but since I lost Hailey 15 days ago, I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.

I picked up his little oak photo urn today.  Im putting the pic thats attached to my screen name thingy as the display.  We are sealing half his ashes and scattering the rest on his favorite w-route.  We could never use the words "walk, cheese, licorice, bone" in the house.  He knew the spelling of walk, so we couldnt even spell it to each other as code.  It even got to the point where were couldnt even say the word "gopher."  As in "gopher walk."    Whats crazy is with cushings....im not kidding, he would pee about 10 times on the walk had to be a gallon.  

[I might just have to sneak a little piece of licorice in there too : ) ]  

Is it just me or does anyone else still hear the "I'm sorry, but I have to go outside and pee" barks in the middle of the night when your half asleep?

I miss my puppy.
i'll leave
Hi Mark, please don't feel you need to leave. I think a lot of people just don't see the postings on this thread since it's not a new thread. I do think it's a good idea to talk about your dog and receive support. Have you thought about making a journal? That way people would see it on the side bar and could comment on it.
Check out my two journals I wrote after my dog died. One of them was about animals in Heaven. I think you may like them. Just go to my profile and look through my journals. It might be a bit buried but it's there!
I look forward to hearing back from you. Just take one day at a time. It does get easier, but of course you won't forget or even replace your dog. But maybe some day you can give a dog who needs love a new home in honor of your dog who passed. I think he'd approve. God bless you, Mark. Take care of yourself.

Also, there's a post on the dog forum showing a site where you can go to light a candle for a loved one who's passed. Check it out. It looks like a lovely site. Take care, hon.
Thank you!!!!!! :)
My 15 yr old sheperd/chow mix, Deana, was diagnosed with cushings about 2 1/2 yrs ago.  We noticed her drinking massive amounts of water and she started urinating in the house, something she never did.  We did get a doggie door for her which ended the accidents in the house.   The vet decided against medication because at the time her symptoms weren't too bad, she was already 12 1/2 yrs at the time, and sometimes the side affects from the medication are worse then the cushings.  Now at 15 yrs. she can't climb stairs anymore, and has trouble standing up.  Her stomach is bloated and she has quite a few lumps all over.  She pants all the time, and still drinks lots of water.  She was only 4 months old when we got her.  We just had our other dog, Jeremiah put to sleep 2 weeks ago.  He was a Lhasa mix and was 15 1/2 yrs old.  It broke our hearts.  He was deaf and could barely see, was walking into walls and we had been hand feeding him the last few days, and couldn't get him to drink. We had to carry him outside and he would just lay down in the grass.  I know we will have to make this decision again soon.  Deana is missing her "brother" of 15 yrs.  Just felt like sharing.  Thanks for listening.  Barbara
Our beautiful lab 12 and 1/2 years old, April was diagnosed with Cushings last month- She drinks about 30 8 ounce cups of water every day and she needs to go out every 90 minutes or so - she started to have accidents (both types), lots of diareaha,  in the house for the first time in her life about 3 months ago - she has high liver levels also, a large tumor in her front leg, has an extremely hard time using her back legs, has broken 2 teeth in the last month, I have been sleeping with her in the family room for the past 18 months in order to let her out at night and because she hasn't been able to climb stairs for the past year, additionally the loss of the coat, and there are times she really seems confused but she is happy when we tell her we have gotten her a present, but I am not sure that putting her on Lysodrem is what would be best for her.  She is so stressed out when I take her to the vet - the prescription that she is suppose to start on is 5 - 500mg per day (she weighs 120 pounds)  then 2.5 tablets a day for 7 days and then the maintenance phase of 2.5 tablets once a week - I looked on line for the best price but was unable to match the $270.00 at Target for the initial dose of 45 tablets - with all the tests in the past 3 months I have spent over 1300.00 - this also includes a leg brace for $75.00 which every time I put on she takes off - my vet will not give me a estimate of time that she has left - the money is an issue but we will get it if I can feel more assured that this will help her - like others in previous posts she pants a great deal and when she goes out sometimes she is so exhausted she lays down in her waste - she is the kindest, gentlest, and loving companion ever and I don't want her to be in pain  - she gets stressed taking other medication and refuses to take it no matter how I try and hide it - I just don't know what to do..............like all of you, our love for April is equal and the decision is weighing on us..........I know I need to make this decision soon, I hate the thought of her having other complications - additionally the vet seems to think that she has had Cushings for about the past 18 months since then is when I could pinpoint the symtpoms starting - I noticed the loss of coat, dry skin, tumor, and thirst, - I kept having her checked for diabeties and that was always negative - right now she is barking for me to sit with her so I will close and thank you for listening and for sharing your experiences.......
Thank you so much for your very original post.  I only came across it today but your story is definitely my story.  My maltese mix is 11 years old and has cushings.  All the very same symptoms.  Very same personality it seems as well.  This dog is so devoted to me.  He still wants to play at times.  In his heart he is still a puppy but his body is betraying him.  I am going to be putting him down on Friday and it was of great comfort to read all the above posts.  Struggling with knowing when the time is right has been the toughest thing.  The last x-ray done showed his liver to be extremely large.  Though like alot of the posts above he doesn't seem to be suffering to the point of crying out in pain, the vet told me that the liver pushing against his gall bladder is painful.  And because the liver is crowding everything he has a very hard and painful time trying to have a bowel movement.  Therefore I have made the decision to put him to rest.  Thanks to all for all the great reads above.  I have felt so helpless to help him even with all the meds given to him.  Nothing really helped.  What an insidious disease.  

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. You're so right. It's an insidious disease. I understand what you're going through. It's so hard to know when it's time. Someone once told me to look in their eyes and they'll tell you. When I looked in Willow's eyes, they looked tired and sick. He looked almost miserable. It was shocking to me. I didn't want him to suffer anymore so I had him put to sleep. It was very hard but I knew it would be harder on me than him and that I made the right choice.
I will say a prayer for you on Friday. God bless you and your little doggy. May he find Willow over the Rainbow bridge and play with him in God's presence. *HUGS*
Thank you so much!  Today has been extremely sad, but once again you have hit the nail on the head.  As I held my pup this morning as the vet went to administer the shot, his eyes told me everything.  He was tired and ready for rest.  It was the most profound moment.  I knew that I had absolutely done the right thing.  Now I am the one in pain, but I know in time, his wonderful memory will bring me only joy and laughter!  Thanks again for your kind words and prayers!
I am reading these comments thinking this has got to be what my old man has ???? I have a fifteen year old lab/mix LOU. HE IS MY BABY AND MY LIFE he always been such a great faithful companion ...just recently in the last three weeks hes been wondering around, drinking alot, eating small amounts of food, but alot of times a day. Sleeps ok at night except for the occasional turn around. Pants for ten mins at a time sometimes & snores or sounds wraspy while sleeping the rest of the time. His belly is bloated also but his legs were the first sign for me. They gave out on him one regular day, he just couldnt get them to work, I reached down and put them together for him and helped him up ... he looked at me like ok ... ok .. I got this why you freakin out ? lol He still tries to act like he "has it all together" thats how hes always been  lol! HOWEVER that was the FIRST time I said to myself "something is wrong w him I think"? THEN all the other symptoms I noted above started showing up. Ive taken him to the vet, they havent done any blood test or anything but did say he has multiple tumors, and a slower heart beat.  They know and I know theyre isnt much I can do except love him and be w him until I cant anymore (as any mother would) I am almost certain after doin all this searching on the internet for weeks ... that this is what he has "cushings disease"  I hear the meds for it are very expensive, and dont have any effect on theyre life expectancy but do help them to feel better for a short amout of time. Ive made the choice myself after reading, doing the math, and his age just to just let him be until he lets me know its time to go. I pray to god for him to give me the knowlege and strength to know when. Or for him to just take him before he gets to bad. It is sooooo hard to ask god to let you keep your baby, but take your baby if needed at the same  time. I have good days where I am so happy he popped his head up to look at me when I asked "LOU ready to go potty buddy" ? And I have bad days where I cant stop thinking this could be his last.  BUT I am GREATFUL for EVERYDAY I still have with him :) He seems as of now, not to be in pain (fingers crossed) I wake up constantly threw the night to check on him in his bed that I have put next to mine on the floor  :( sometimes I lay next to him to return the fifteen years of love and comfort he has given me. I posted a comment to let others know your not alone ... it hurts ... its hard ... and all you can do is take it one day at a time. I truely believe that as much as you or I think we cant do the unthinkable if needed ... If our fellow companion looks at us w to much hurt in his eyes and you have to much in yours ... youll know its time.
Hi everyone.
I accidently just posted my message to all of you under the main page, and not this thread.  Sorry about that.  If you have a moment, I would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you very much!
My dog was diagnosed 1 month ago with Cushing's.  She is a mixed breed about 8 years old.  Just in the last week she has lost her appetite, developed lesions on her left hind leg and back, has no energy and seems to be drooping on one side of her mouth.  We also could not afford the meds and had been giving her a herbal Adrenal Support powder.  I am thinking we will have to put her to sleep Monday.  Sad disease and makes no sense.
Hi my 7 year old min pin was just diagnosed with cushings.  I am trying to decide which meds I should try.  Any suggestions????  I heard Trilostane is a new good med.
My 10 year old Jack Russell was diagnosed with cushings about a year ago.  She is on a weekly dose of Lysodren.  My question is:  do any of your dogs shake and tremble uncontrollably?  She still can't get enough water, she even sneaks drinks from the outdoor pond, and she gets up on the counter looking for food. I feel like I'm a bad person because I am always trying to moniter how much water she drinks (so she doesn't have accidents while I am at work).  But its the shaking and the panting that has me more worried.  She acts like she is constantly hot! And the shaking can actually wake me up at night.  She has been tested for Addisons and its not that,  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this with their cushings dog.  I am worried that she is always uncomfortable, and I don't want her suffering.  Thanks for any answers and for reading.
My Beagle/Basset was diagnosed with Addisons diseas Aug 2008 at age 12.  Unfortunately the chemo drugs took too much of his adrenal glands and sent him into addisonian colapse (severe trembleing weight loss and almost death).  We manged to bring him back and of course now he has addisons.  He gets a precort shot every 23 days (adjustments and tests over the last year) and 1mg of prednisone every day.  He is doing great and does a tiny bit of trembling on occassion but I think its mostly attention related because after a few minutes curled up in bed it stops.  Unfortunately the he can't manage more than 4 or 5 hours without a pee (I allow all the water he wants) so I just trained him to pee on a particular area rug which I have 3 of.  The rug goes into the wash at the end of the work day and I can skip the guilt.  Hope that helps and your love is doing well.
I just know I'm not going to be sleeping tonight-as I think it's going to be mine and my dog-Kims last night together :(  She was diagnosed with Cushings a few weeks ago re the rspca we have in the uk (it helps people on benefits with pets),although it's a charity based vets they still have to charge for blood test,medication etc, and I was told it'll be very expensive-if I won the lottery I'm still not sure I would go down this route as from all the online research I've been doing the medication doesn't cure-it can't be cured-the cushings only relieves the symptoms and that the outcome of how long they'll live is roughly the same as without meds!.  We've an appointment with the PDSA tomorrow-another charity based vets-which wont be charging me but asking me for what I can afford donations which is a huge difference from the RSPCA.  So (not sure why I'm asking apart from it'd be nice to have others views and opinions etc) do I do what my heart is saying and say goodbye to her tomorrow before she gets really bad-she's miserable I can tell,we've been together for 11 years so I know her inside out.,or do I try the medication-I wish I had someone else who could make this decision for me-it was bad enough saying goodbye to my 15 yr old cat about 9yrs ago,then I lost my Father 4yrs ago and now looks like I'm saying goodbye to my soul mate :(
What would you do in my shoes? thanks Dianne
Hi Dianne, I posted you a note, but didn't have the full story then. Then I read this.
It's so hard for you. and my thoughts are with you tonight.
What would I do if it was me, and my dog? Well I think I'd try the medication. If it's possible.
I know the PDSA. I live in UK too. They are very good for people on benefits and low income. As long as you get housing benefit, you would qualify for donation-based treatment.
So, why not give it a try? I know you don't want her to suffer, but it is just possible she might perk up a bit with some medication? It might give her some more time, and hopefully, feel a bit better?
Oh I am so sorry April. I just saw your comments on this post. I was just tracing ShyanneDianne who is so worried about her dog, and I plunged in here without reading all the comments. Please forgive me!
Kim was too far gone with the cushings disease and completely miserable she had no quality of life and as much as it's killed me doing it-I've said goodbye to her today :(  we had a lovely,albeit wet,walk around a park she used to love squirrels in-she chased one today but missed as per lol and I took loads of pics,I even asked another fellow dog walker to take a pic of us and explained why. I wouldn't have it any other way and I know deep in my heart I have done the right thing by her,I kept coming across the saying 'it's best a day too early than a day too late' and how true that is.  I was the last person she saw as she drifted to sleep and I covered her wet,muddy snout with kisses and told her how beautiful she is, I can't thank the P.D.S.A enough for the compassion and of how they handled things. R.I.P Kim 1998-27/11/2009 you'll be in our hearts forever xxxxx
My 16 year old Dalmatian was diagnosed with having "borderline Cushing's disease" after some extensive blood- and urine tests. First the vet actually thought she could have Addison's disease. Since the vet had also said a few weeks earlier that her kidneys are weak I'd put her on Science Diet k/d, which is low in protein and relatively high in fat. A few days later she started drinking a lot and having accidents in the house. Her appetite became very poor. I started reading about Cushing's disease and this is what I did: I switched her slowly over to a raw food diet (darwinspet.com) which is the opposite of what the vet had recommended. It's high in proteins, low in fiber and fat. I've also started giving her "Nuvet Plus" - an amazing supplement that I would highly recommend to any caring dog or cat owner. Now, one week later, she eats and walks again with gusto, drinks normal quantities of water, her stool is firm and our home is not covered with hair anymore (up to now I just thought that loose stools and loosing hair is just part of the aging process), she is alert and attentive and best of all, her weak hind-legs are getting stronger and she is now able to walk up stairs and jump on the couch by herself! She is of course not moving like a young dog anymore, but compared to how she looked and moved a few weeks ago, she is nothing short of a little "miracle." I'm so surprised that there are no other comments on this blog relating to "natural" treatments for dogs with cushing' disease. But you can find them and find that there are safer (and better - no side effects) treatments out there for your companion than just what the vet knows.
Please read the entire thread before answering. A lot of the people on this thread have recently lost pets to Cushings and it might be a bit hard for those of us who lost dogs to this to now hear advice now as what worked for them. Please don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled to hear about how well your dogs are doing on treatments, etc., however, it might be best to start a new thread as to keep that one positive? More people might see it that way too.
Every time this thread is pulled back up it brings back painful memories of me losing my dog to this hideous disease. I would love to hear good stories about others pets but would you all mind perhaps starting a new thread? Thanks so much!

Ginger, no worries, really. :)

ShayanneDiane, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent loss of your beloved pet. I understand. *Hugs and blessings to you*

nener, I'm so glad you found something that is working for you. I pray you will be able to have many more wonderful years with your best friend. I think many people would love to hear your story, especially about the diet, etc., as I know some people who are interested in the raw diet, etc., but I know a lot may not necessarily see your post on this thread. I think it would be a great idea to make a journal or new thread on this to give others hope and something to try, perhaps mentioning the natural treatments, etc.? I never got this much information when my own dog was diagnosed, I think it would help so many others out there if you could post something on this. Best wishes and prayers for you and your beloved dog. God bless,
April
I just lost my dog after 11 days of Trilostane.  My dog would still be alive had I NOT given her Trilostane.  I feel responsible, since I trusted my vet.  He did not follow the recommended plan for administering the medicine, like doing an ACTH stim test the same day of taking the medicine.  Also, on the 11th day, I told him my dog had not eaten anything for 2 days, he then took my dog to the back and had someone force the medicine down her throat.  She had 2 seizures that night.  I had her in the ER for 8 days.  She came home for 2 days, then I had to let her go, she was so sick.  I wish I would have NEVER given her Trilostane.  It might work for some, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have done something different.  She would be by my side right now if I would have done something different.  
LK07, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Please don't blame yourself, though. You did what you felt was the best thing for your dog. I pray you will be able to find peace and comfort in knowing that and knowing your precious pet is not hurting anymore and has crossed that Rainbow Bridge.

I would consider suing that vet or vet's office, though, for malpractice so that this will not happen to anybody else.

God bless you. My prayers are with you. *Hugs*
April
Thank you for your kind words xxx yes I too thought when I read about 'cures' the day after having to have said goodbye to Kim was a bit too late to tell me and tbh even if I had gone down the 'medication' route Kim might have ended like poor LK07s dog,as I was warned that the medication might have made more problems for Kim than the actual disease so that's why I chose to say goodbye-it wasn't a decision I chose lightly as I'd been doing lot of research via the gods of google and think I knew in my mind before the vet even said what he thought that the best outcome for Kim was to say goodbye-I like to think she had as much fun with us as we did with her,the past 11 yrs of being in her company we're pure bliss-I couldn't of asked for a better dog companion and soul mate,she was absolutely adorable,not only would she give her paw she'd give her other one when you askde 'other one' lol she was such a character-everyone she met fell in love with her,the whole family who have met her are as upset as I am and of course my 2kids. Younger members of the family could cuddle her,climb over her at baby/toddler stage-nothing fazed her-she was a happy,content and secure dog. Sorry to hear of how horrific the end was for your dog LK07 she'll be making friends with my Kim now on the Rainbow Bridge
xxx
Along with my Willow who passed over the Rainbow Bridge 7 months ago.
My 12 yr old Bischon Shitzu  was diagnosed with Cushings disease 1 yr ago. After doing a lot a research we opted not to put him on any medications. The reason being, it was very expensive and there really were not any advantages in doing so. It would not make his hair grow back, make him any more active, bring back his eye site orhearing back...and most of all, the medication could end up being fatal instead of helping the poor guy. He has started having various accidents when left alone. He sleeps all day and all night, and even when we come home he doesnt hear us. When we finally do get his attention he just lifts his head and then goes back to sleep. He is too weak to go on walk and his belly is so big it practically drags on the floor. I love him so much and all this time have been in denial of how bad it really is. I have decided that I need to stop being selfish and put my dog out of his misery. He just doesn't seem happy anymore. So next week he is going to doggy heaven. He is my best friend and I love him so much. I don't know what I am going to do without him. XO
I know how you feel. I'm so sorry. I wish they could find a cure for this horrible disease. He knows you love him and gave him a good life. I pray God will comfort you in this time. Hugs and blessings,
April
Thank you so much for your kind words. Lst night I didn't sleep at all and was up all night crying. Everytime I think of him I start to cry. I am trying to make his last week the best week ever with lots of cuddles and kisses...but its so hard. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing
Someone once told me you will know when the time is right. When you look in his eyes he will tell you. When I looked in my dog's eyes they looked tired and sick, weary. That's when I knew it was time. When I drove him to the vet he laid quietly in the car and he usually would get nervous in the car. He hated going to the vet. He was very quiet that day. He passed quickly and quietly. It was hard, hard for me and I did cry all the way home but I knew he was at peace.
I know this is a difficult thing to do but you will know when the time is right. You don't want your pet to suffer. He will let you know. God bless you.
I am having a hard time letting my dog go. Does anyone know of any good books about lossing pets and/or grieving ofver the loss of a pet?
My 14yr. old Corgi was just diagnosed with Cushings.....  I put off taking him to the vet because I knew he probably had it.  I've decided not to give him any medications - they run the risk of making him even sicker.  He'll tell me when it's time.....
My 15+ year old chihuahua has Cushing disease. I know it is time to let go but it is still so hard. He has to urinate about every hour and has accidents in between. He cannot raise his leg and urinates on himself. He drinks at least 1 gallon of water daily. I wish I could find some help on the subject. I feel like I am "playing God". I am a nurse and have been around death and dying for years but I am having a hard time with this. I posted on another forum but haven't had much response. It helps to hear from others that have had to have their "babies" put to sleep. Thanks for listening.
Hi!!  My 5 year old German Sheppard is being treated for Cushings Disease with Melatonin and Lignans.  Yes Melatonin!!  She takes 9 mg 2x a day and 2 Tablespoons a day of "Barlean's Forti-Flax 100 % organic"  which contains a high dose of lignans!!!  SHE WEIGHES 130 pounds ~ She has been on this combination since August 2009 and does finally show improvement.  She urinates less frequently and certainly seems more happy!!  I have not had any levals tested since August, since all of the testing cost approx 3,000.   And my other German Sheppard two years ago had heart surgery, which cost approx 5,000.!!!  He had his Gall Bladder, Intestines, Spleen and Colon wrapped around his heart.... What we all will not do for our loved pets!!!  I want to say the University of Kentucky or Tennessee? ???  Is where my vet researched for this melatonin and ligan combination ~ Destiny  If anyone would like me to look back in my paperwork for the correct university, please feel free to email me ***@****  
I had to have my 13 1/2 yr old Dauchshund put to sleep a few hours ago.  I am so heartbroken over it.  He was diagnosed about nine months ago with cushings.  DenBoy was his name.  I got him from a so-called back yard breeder in 1999 when he was around 3 years old..  At the time I knew nothing of heartworms.  Took him to the vet when I first got him, he was diagnosed with heartworms 70% of his organs.  Opted for the heartworm treatment, took him a full year to get over the treatments, he survived it all.  However, it had to have taken some toll on his body though he was a genuine champ and rocked on.  In the last year he started loosing his hair, he took on a skeletal look, started drinking a lot of water, peeing in the house, became very tired all the time, and stopped playing.  DenBoy went through all the blood tests which led to the diagnosis of Cushings, was put on Vetoryl which only treats the symptoms.  The only thing the Vetoryl helped with was he drank less water and was a little more active for a while.  I realize now that he had continued to get worse over the months.  I put him on vitamins, changed his food several times, ( cause he wouldn't eat regular) tried many different things in hopes that he would get better.  Somehow I think he just kept going on for me, we were constant companions for all these years, he went everywhere with me, I feel such a void.  In the past week especially, he went downhill fast no matter what was tried, he would eat, then he wouldn't eat, he got to where he could hardly walk, he started walking into things, he didn't seems to be able to hear, he would just sit and stare at me.  Today I knew that it was time to let him go, he seemed to be having a hard time breathing and it just seemed like to much effort for him to get up.  I laid on the floor beside him and looked into his eyes and knew that his quality of life was not there anymore, DenBoy was tired of fighting.  He gave me many years of joy and I loved him with all my heart and still do.  I am sharing this with you for several reasons, one, I hope to God Almighty that it helps me to get through this, and two, maybe it might just help someone else.  Rest in Peace DenBoy, I miss you...
We had to put our dog to sleep two months ago due to Cushings disease.  It is a horrible disease, and I don't feel the Vetoryl really does anything to help, at least in our dogs case it didn't.  I am sorry we didn't try the older med, I think its called Lysodren. Hang in there, I'm sure your little guy had a great life and knew he was much loved.
So sorry for your loss! Please know that you are one of the good ones. You are a repsonsible pet owner who did everything you could for your pal. there are many out there that get pets and negelect them and or abuse animals and yours was lucky to have you! Vetrol, from what I researched, is supposed to be better thand Lysodren. I had a beagle who had cushings for nearly 8 years. We treated her with Lysodren. It wasn't easy by no means but we kept up with her testing and managed her meds over the years to keep her alive. In fact, her meds really didn't start helping her symptoms until 2 years into it. I was always worried about the side effects of Lysodren and that's why I've researched other meds. In fact a couple of years ago they vet prescribed too much Lysodren and my dog went into the opposite disease Addison's. I had to argue with him that I thought that's what happened and he wouldn't agree with me until I forced him to re-test her. Then he said, "Wow! I would have never thought she's in Addision's! We just tested her!" He immediately had to put her on Prednisone and she totally bounced back! It was like night and day. We alsmot lost her! She didn't eat for over a week! Cushing's is such a tricky and scary disease. It is so hard to maintain a dog with the disease and know if you are doing things right. You really have to arm yourself with knowlege and second guess your vet if need be! Vets are not God.  I almomst feel like I'm an expert on Cushing's after all of the time I spent researching it! It is treatable and with the new meds, most pets (if caught soon enough) can live out thier normal life span.The problem with this disease is that it can trigger so many other health issues such as Kidney failure and Diabetes. Most dogs don't end up dying from Cushing's but complications that result from it. Unfortunately I lost my beagle this past Sept. and the month before I lost my 15 year old. And, just this past Tuesday, I lost my 3rd and final dog. That's 3 in under a year! So rough! I know what you are going thru and I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy! Time does help.Just take it ne day at a time. To top it all off, the vets think this last loss was due to posioning or that her kidneys just wore out. We are concerned about the posioning thing becuase we have a psycho nieghbor who hates all animals. Now there's been a 1/2 dozen cases of posioning reported in the neighborhood and we have to have it investigated. The sad thing is there's a chance my other 2 could have died from posioing last summer! It's so sad we live on  this planet with scum like that! Just know, that you are one of the good ones and you gave y ou pal all the love you could possibly give it.
I am so very sorry for those that have lost their beloved dogs.  Yes, cushing's is frustrating and scarey but it doesn't have to be a death sentence.  The disease is a lot easier to deal with if you can interact with people that know exactly what you are going through and can help you in so many ways.  Please consider becoming a member at www.k9cushings.com to learn more about the disease, share your story and get a tremendous amount of feedback from members with extensive experience with the disease.  The library is chocked full of great reference material to help you learn more about cushing's and its effective treatments.  
Have any of the people who lost their dogs to the poisoning have an autopsy done on them?  Possibly it might help catch the scumbag who did it.  Thats horrible.
signs to look for when you know its close to 'that time.'

11 year old Labrador Retriever diagnosed with Cushing's at age 10.

One week before passing on

-Constant 'nagging' wanting to be by my side
          -gets annoying but don't be mean or rash, they're informing   that they will be moving on soon. Love them more than you ever have before or you may just regret it later.

-Panting/Breathing gets worse, begins to see as if something is wrong on a minutely basis

-As for attitude, they're just as normal as ever (at least mine was) Loved to go outside, don't restrict what they can't do, rather help them do what couldn't be done before (bring them upstairs/downstairs to places they used to love to be) In fact I had a bonfire the night my dog passed, he was outside running back and forth with the other dogs seemingly having a great time (but there was something that you could just tell as a parent that there was something definitely wrong) Not sure if all of the extra labor caused a heart issue or some kind of strain, but I know his last day was great. Was able to be outside, play for the last time and get all the attention that old men get :).

-When you see your pet trying to hide//get away from the owner when they're normally right next to you all the time, they're hiding to pass on not in front of you. Be weary.

Love you Noah. 05/15/2010

One week before passing on

Love you Noah. 05/15/2010
You were very fortunate that your dog was in such good shape till the end, and that he died on his own.  It saved you a lot of stress from seeing him suffer badly in the end and from having to put him to sleep.  I'm sorry you lost your dog, it is soooooo hard after eleven years, you walk into a room and expect to see them in their favorite spot, or come home and you can almost hear them barking to greet you.  I'm sure he knew how much you loved him, he was a very lucky dog.
My Romeo 11 1/2 yrs old and has been Diabetic for almost two years. On his last glucose curve our Vet called me to tell me she suspects he has Cushings Disease.
I felt like I just couldn't cope with this life threatening disease. The medication, I was told is very expensive and so are the needed tests. I am very low income social security and also disabled for five yrs. I am 67 and alone except for my boy Romeo.
Well he had the Low Dose Dex to confirm that he does have pituitary Cushing's Disease. She recommended TRILOSTANE but it was up to me of course. She suggest I look at online pharmacies for best prices. At Pet Meds N More I was able to get a month and half supply, that is ninety capsules for $148. which even I can afford to treat my boy at this price. Also needed Prednisone and bought a bottle of 100 for $10. Way too much but the price was so good and once in a while my doctor puts me on it when my feet swell too much.
Bottom line is if you think you can't afford to treat your baby, please rethink it, there are ways to do it. I know for myself I can't see my Romeo suffer because I did not or felt I could not treat him. I know it will not be an easy battle but the other evening he looked at me, looked right in my eyes like he has never done before and I told him not to worry, I would take care of him.
Consider Cushex Drops (herbal) and Vetmedin:  new prescription medicine in US for Cushing's disease.
I am new to this post thing, so bear with me.  I tried to post you a note, but don't know if it worked, so I will try this.
I too am an owner of a (wonderful sweet dog) whom was diag. with cushing's this Jan.  She just turned 13, and we have gone the Homeopathy route (which has lost her 5 months of her life).  She hasn't gotten any better, but worse.  It is tearing me apart, and I cry almost all the time, no matter where I am.
When I read your post you mentioned Melatonin, that's the first time I have seen that mentioned.  I went to a new Vet. yesterday that gave me that as an option (since I don't have the money for the more expensive drugs), not to mention I don't know if my baby can take the harshness of the treatments.  You had mentioned a unniversity that did a study on that, but I don't know how to reach you.  I would like to know how and if it works.
Today she wouldn't eat, and her stomach is very big, she would eat other things just not the kibble.  I want to switch her to another kibble, but I know you can't do that abruptly, but if she's not eating the one she has, how do I trans. her to a new one.  Any suggestions from anyone I would so greatly appreciate!!!
I would give your dog any dog food she will eat, even canned.  Try to make it a very good one, you probably will have to experiment to see what she likes, buy very small bags to start with, or small cans.  Give her mostly her old food, with a little of the new mixed in (can or dry) and gradually put more of the new one in.  When our dog had Cushings it got to the point where I gave her human food, chicken mostly.  She was losing weight instead of gaining, so I wasn't concerned about calories, she even got pizza if she wanted it.  Good Luck, and please try not to cry in front of your dog, I know its hard if not impossible, but they know when your sad or upset, and I'm sure it makes her feel worse.  Try to stay calm, and spoil her a lot.
I have a 13 1/2 year old black lab mix....Hope.  She was my first child.  She was diagnosed last year with Cushings.  I have been reading your posts and I need some advice.  We opted not to give her the medication.  She was already 12 years old and we don't have the money for the medications.  I am at the point where I am going back and forth with the dreadful decision to put her down.  She is the most precious, sweet and kind dog I have ever owned.  She follows me everywhere (even in the bathroom and lays by my feet).  She already tore both her ACLs when she was younger, she has arthiritis and Lyme Disease.  She just moans all the time when she has to get up or when she lays down.  She is not happy.  I wouldn't say she is in pain, but she is extremely uncomfortable.  My husband and I always say "this is Hope's house, we just live here", that is how spoiled she is.  Whatever she wants, she gets.  She is peeing all over my breezeway, never in the house (she never did), her urine has a very harsh odor....does anyone else have that odor?

When do you say, it is time?  Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome.....Post your exact question as a NEW question in a new thread.....More people will see it and you'll get a better response....This thread is quite old.....Thanks
My beagle had Cushings for over 6 years (controlled by Lysodren). Took a lot of patience to keep up with it. But she did well overall on the meds. From what I know about the disease, her urnine was always clear and odorless. That is becuase a dog with Cushing's doesn't usually concentrate it's urine. We noticed a strong odor one day when she went on her pee pad. So, we brought a urnie sample in to the vet to be tested. She ended up having a bladder infection (treated by antibotics). Dog's with Cushing's tend to be prone to infection. I would suggest that you bring a sample of your dog's urine in to be checked. Any time I've done that it's always been under $20. Also, you may have to experiement with more than one antibotic until you get one to knock out the infection. I  have to ask you too, since you dog suffers from arthitic pain, do you give her any sort of steriod or cortisone medicine for the pain? Those type of meds can throw a dog into temporary Cushing's disease and once the dog is removed from the meds, the Cushing's symptoms stop. It's a catch 22 for pet owners, though. They don't know what's better for the dog to deal with the Cushing symptoms or the pain. Usually, the Cushing's is easier to treat. No one can tell you when it's the right time to put your pet down. It's a decision you have to make. I perosnally just lost all 3 of mine in under a year! And I'm so grateful that they were able to die in my arms at home. I can't even imagine putting them to sleep in the place they dreaded the most!  Even the vet suggested with my last one that I take her home and let her die at home. She wasn't eating and he didn't expect her to last another day. He also said he never in favor of putting a pet down unless it is absolutely necessary. My only regret is with the first one I lost.I think I kept her alive a day too long. The night before she died, I made the decision to take her to the vet the next day to put her down, becuase that day she looked at me with a tear in her eye. I didn't have the chance, becuase the next morning, she died at home in my arms. If a dog is a little slow walking around, in my opinion, I wouldn't be so quick to put them down. We all get sore as we age and we deal with it. When our parents age we help them deal with it. They just need extra care and attention, but I believe they're not really suffering until they let you know. If you don't know the look, maybe it's becuase you haven't received it yet. Just enjoy you pal and do  your best for her for as long as you can. Hope all of this helps you in some way. They are a part of our family and it is sooooo hard to let them go! I wish you many more years with your friend!
p.s. If you have a Giant Eagle store in your area and you end up needing an antibiotic for your dog. Have your vet send the prescription there rather than let him fill it. Antibotics are free at Giant Eagle and I think ony $4 at Walmart. Also, if  you read my previous posts, I mentioned I was able to find the Cushing's medicine (Lysodren) for under $4 a pill in my area. Your dog may only need it once or twice a month.
My nine year old American Eskimo was diagnosed with Cushings this past Spring. His symptoms began last summer with the panting and heavy drinking or water.

Spanky has been on Trilostane(Vetoryl) for two months and I have not seen a great improvement.  His first labs from the first month came back good so the Vet is keeping Spanky on 30 mg once daily. My Spanky is about twenty pounds overweight at close to fifty pounds.  Spanky's panting makes me feel so sad and helpless. When will it stop?  The sick look he has in his eyes makes me feel so sad.  I really can't afford the Vetoryl but am trying to cutback on other things to afford it.  So, two questions, which online RX pharmacy has the lowest prices for Vetoryl. Secondly, how long will it take to see my baby get some relief?

April
Just so you know, it took my beagle almost 1 1/2 yrs. to start seeing improvements in her lab work will on Lysodren. I heard that the medicine you are using is just as good if not better than Lysodren becuase it has less side effects then the Lysodren. In all of my research about Cushings, I learned that a dog may have all or none of the symptoms that define Cushing's. I also learned that the medcine may not stop all of the symptoms, but it will keep your dog alive. My dog's lab work was always WAY off the chart and it took my vet a LONG time experiementing with different dosages to help bring those blood values down. In fact, we had to accept the blood values we achieved even though, they were still not in the normal range. The improvements we did see on the medicine are as follows: Her bloated belly began to go down, she wasn't chugging gallons of water although she still did drink more than usual, she stopped having as many accidents in the house, although she did use the pee pads often. Her panting decreased and stopped once the medcine kicked in. Whenever these symptoms became more noticeable, we knew it was time for another check up wth the vet. At one point she was on as many as 4 pills per week and eventualy got down to 1 or 2. We used to split the pill in half too! That seemed to be a very successful strategy.  For instance, if the vet said that she needed 2 pills per week, we gave her half a pill 4 times a week. Check with your vet on this. It may help you. I'm not a vet, but I would say that part of your dog's panting is due to being overweight. The weight may also be a result of the Cushings. Dog's ravage food when ill with the disease. Their bellies also become extremely large and bloated looking. My beagle would have her relapses and get swelled up now and again, but when she lost weight and the medicine was working, she did very well! Virtually symptom-free. She had the disease for about 6 years. If you are able to excerise your pooch and put it on a low-caorie diet, I think it may feel a alot better. Check with your vet on the best way to appraoch a doggy diet. Also, low-sodium foods are best for a pet with Cushing's. Unfortunately, too, Cushingoid dogs are prone to diabetes and kidney failure among other things. So, it be best to get some of that weight off of your dog to give it it's best chance to live a happy life with this disease. Good luck with your pal! They become such a HUGE part of us! I miss mine EVERYDAY!
P.S. Most pharmacies will price match. 1-800-pet-meds has competitive prices on meds. I was able to find my Lysodren for around $3-4 per pill at Giant Eagle and Marc's. You really just have to shop around. But, if you find a place who's cheaper, tell your current pharmacy and I'll bet they'll match the price to keep your business. Here's another tip, if you vet prescribes an antibotic for your pooch, don't let him fill it. Take the precrption to Giant Eagle. Antbiotics are FREE there!
Chocolate Lady Jaden is our 10 year old Lab was diagnosed with cushings disesease 14 months ago. Jaden has taken Lysodren or 1 year  and we currentley taking liquid Mitatine (sp). Jaden isnot getting any better she is getting worse. My family and Jaden's doctors have all agreed that she is to weak to continue treatment. We are going to LOVE and keep her comfortable for as long as possible. She is the love of our life and is the best girl ever. We are having a really hard time with this, our heart's are breaking  but we all agree that she is to good a girl to let her suffer . So we will let her go when the time comes. God is Good ! God is going to get an amazing dog. Please pray for my family.
Yesterday  i joined your website. For a few day's we have heard a faint (purring) sound when she breathes. It is off and on and now is getting louder. Waiting as we speak on a call from the Dr. Around 3 AM my sweet girl was making very loud wierd noises. I just stayed with her for awile until she calmed down. This morning she seems ok . only (purring) a little. Anyone experience anything like this?  
Hello & welcome.....Please, post both of your questions as NEW questions on this forum...I feel you will get more responses that way.....The other thread has 120 replies and sometimes people overlook the long ones......Good luck and I hope people will respond to your questions........I'm thinking about you & yours....Karla
my black lab/husky will be 15 in jan.2011. she has cushings too. she will be asleep, which she does a lot, & pee where she lays. its very sad. her panting is out of control. when i eat, she begs for my food, which is maddening. she won't eat her own food though.
she has a terrible time w/her back legs. her stomach looks bloated too. she can only hear really loud noises.
its very hard to watch my girl getting old & 14 1/2 is old. i keep telling myself how close she is to 15 & a lot of dogs don't make it to 15. but the thought of having to put her down just terrifies me. i cannot imagine my life w/o her. i hope the cushings doesn't kill her..too unbearable to think about.
Hi Pauli & welcome.....It sounds as if your girl has a very low quality of life and I believe the question is, "Is she miserable?"
Yes, the Cushings Disease will kill her and it sounds as if it already is.....

Please, give her some of your food. She needs something to eat! No need to not let her have what she wants, now.....

You need to think about this: Does she enjoy anything that she did in her younger years? Also, ask yourself if your keeping her around for you or her?

I know these decisions are tough and hard to think about....What does her Dr. say?
Please, have her Dr. re-evaluate her and  see what he/she thinks.....

Sometimes , Loving them so much means we have to let them go....To end their pain & suffering.......Good luck to you and her......I'll hope for the best......Karla

P.S. You've done a Great job to have had her 14.5 years....That's wonderful!

We seem to be in the exact same place with our "girls". My jaden stopped eating her dog food also.I decided to start cooking her chicken and rice. We she begs for my table food , i give her some. I know that her time here with her family is almost over.We are just LOVING HER UP. We want her here with us for as long as possible but we love her to much to let her suffer. Good luck! Please write me anytime because i think that we could both use some support.I will be praying for you and your sweet girl.. Hugs & kisses  and God Bless!
My 14 year old dog has had cushings for 2 1/2 years.  She has been declining the last few months...more tired on her walks, picky and inconsistent with her eating, sensitive about being touched.  Sometimes it's hard to get her trilostane in her because she often refuses food.
This morning she had a seizure.  It was frightening. Afterward she was very anxious and paced for about 1/2 hour.  I have been watching her the last 2 hours, wondering what I should do and what this means. She is trying to sleep, but having trouble getting comfortable.  Has anyone had a similar experience with a cushionoid dog and seizures?
How do you know when it's time to help them move on?
Very sad.