Dogs Community
Dog with nose cancer

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog with nose cancer

My dog was diagnosed with nose cancer around July 22/08. The vet told us that even with chemo he would only live at the most 6-7 months.  He has had bleeding off and on from his nose and now he is having problems breathing through his nose. We are concerned about the amount of pain he is in and are not sure when we should consider putting him down. He is on tramadol, antibiodics and prednizone.

I have several questions: Can a dog breath through his mouth when sleeping or will he struggle to get his breath? Would a humidifier help with his breathing?

Most of his problem seems to be at night and early morning. He paces around alot. He still enjoys eating and wags his tail and loves to be petted. We just do not want to see him suffer. How do you know when it is the right time to put him down?

HARRYBEADS
I am so sorry to hear about your pup ...I am afraid I cant answer this question.. when is the right time?....this is a very hard,upsetting and distressing  decision to make...you need to get advice from your vet ,they deal with this on a daily basis and should be able to help you in this regard...

...(I have several questions: Can a dog breath through his mouth when sleeping or will he struggle to get his breath?)
I presume they are like us and breath through both nose and mouth...Im not sure if they can revert to just the mouth though ..like we can...

ne55
The breathing question would be best answered by Dr. Cheng on the Ask a Vet board here at Med Help.  At least she can tell you what kind of symptoms will be coming in the near future that might help you make your decision.

You know your dog better than anyone else.  Think of three things that he loves so much that they define his life and who he is.  It could be playing with a favorite toy, eating, going for a ride in the car - whatever.  As those things drop away, you'll know it's time.

Some dogs are so stoic they just don't give us a good sign, so you have to watch for changes day by day.  I'm so very sorry for you both.  :-(

P.S.  I'm sure you'll feel better if you ditch that rice burner and get a Harley.  :-)
  Jaybay you are a true swamper. That bike... will buy me three new harley's but I want to ride not fix my antiquated over priced, underpowered bike. Just a guess you have two old spare engines in the shead.

Read the name lady

Harry
LOL!  Just trying to make you smile a bit.  :-D  Actually, we've got an "old lady" Electra Glide that is the 3rd fastest bike in Houston.  It ought to be - it's a police model and got "redone" by the crooked cop who owned it.  The cop torqued it up so he could pretend to bust up drug deals and then quickly leave the scene with the evidence.  Cop goes to prison and we buy the bike from his son who is also an officer.  Just saw on the news last week that the son is now in trouble in the department.  No surprise there.  Anyway, the EG is quite the change from the Low Rider we had for years, and since hubby does his own wrenching, there are no spares in the garage.  LOL!
LOL! Just to let you know that "rice burner" is a Ducati 900SS, it was hand made in Italy. Houston must not have many bikes, eh? LOL!

We called our vet and yes a dog will sleep with his mouth open, just like us.

Harry
I had to open your picture to see exactly what it was - after I wrote my respose.  LOL!  Yep, it's a sweet one all righty!  You're right that we don't see many Ducati's in Texas.  It's either HD or rice burners.  Seems like there's an article every day about some idiot on a burner who kills himself driving like an idiot on the freeway.  Had one a while back who took a curve on a flyover and missed it.  He and his bike fell 90 feet to the freeway below.  And what for?  Just to feed the need for speed?  I'll never understand it.  Anyway - suh-weeeet bike you've got!  Do you get much chance to ride up there in the frozen wastelands of the great white North?  ;-)

Back to topic, how's your dog doing today?  I haven't yet had to deal with cancer in one of my pets, but kidney failure was pretty close.  It was the same daily decline with absolutely nothing to be done other than comfort measures.  All I can do is try to focus on all the good years that far outnumbered the grim weeks that lead to the end.  It's never easy.

Keep the rubber side down!