Dogs Community
Dog with suddent lump under chin

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog with suddent lump under chin

5555664?1270865213
My miniature dachshund Sophie all of a sudden developed a small golf ball sized lump on the left side of her chin right by her throat. She seems to be in a good bit of discomfort but no pain that I can see. She is eating and drinking but she is certainly not her usual spunky self. When she looks at you, she has those puppy eyes that tells you something is wrong. Her breathing is different too. It's shorter breaths like she's uncomfortable. The only thing that I can think of is that she got into something outside and it must have either stung her or she bit something and it stung her in the mouth. She's quite the hunter of the family and is always investigating things and getting into things outside. Like I said, this all of a sudden developed literally within a day!

Please help! I'm really worried! I have given her a half of a Benadryl just in case it was a bug/insect that bit her.
If it came up so suddenly like that, it does rather sound like a sting or bite. It is also possible it could be an abscess caused perhaps by some cut or puncture wound. Can you see anything on her skin under the fur?
If she is fighting something like that she will not feel 100%
My feeling is that you should take her for the vet to look at her, to be on the safe side. Especially as it does seem to be affecting her breathing.
Its sounds like it could possibly be an infection in one of her salivalary glands.Sometimes a vet has to drain them.But they can also be treated with antibiotics.My Pekingese has had trouble with his before and his looks alot like the pict you posted..But like Ginger said it could be a sting or bite as well.Alot of times whe the glands get infected they are real tender to touch.Please keep us posted and lets us know how she is doing.
We were finally able to look under her chin and the lump looked like it had a bit of a red spot on it. It has gone down a great bit but it is still there. What now concerns me is that she has developed some drainage from her right eye. Could she have been allergic to whatever she got stung by? Can I give her 'people' antibiotics like Erythromycin?
I would probably just stick with the Benadryl until you can talk to your vet.With any antibiotics you would need your vet to tell you how to dose them and if that would be suitable for the problem.Can you take another pict of her now and post it.Also if you have any childrens liquid Benadryl it is the easiest to dose.Please keep us posted on how she is doing.Take Care...Chan
hmm i would take her to vet asap. when my dog got a golf size ball in that same area it was her lymph nodes swollen and was diagnosed with cancer(not to scare you or anything) but that was first thing i thought of. my dog had trouble swallowing,eating and had bit of a cough.she was swollen on both sides though.keep us posted!
If this were my dog, I'd be at the ER vet now if my regular vet was unavailable.  Right now we're all guessing at a diagnosis. Your dog's symptoms are alarming enough to consider this an emergency.  Don't even think about trying to treat this with "people" medications.  If it's an abscess from a bug/ snake bite, the infection may have evolved into cellulits involving the eye orbit causing it to drain.  Your dog could go blind or get menigitis (meningitis) if that's what is happening.  It's more than past time to get your doxie to a vet.  Please post back and let us know what the diagnosis and treatment plan is.  We want pics of a happy healthy pup too!  :-)
My 7 week old puppy has a lump about the size of a quarter but its oval shaped it jus popped up today and I'm worried about her she a pitbull and shes so sweet she has no other symptoms eating fine playing and everything so idk what it could be anybody have any clue
O and sorry its under her chin
I have a shi-tzu/pom mix and just notice a golf sized lump under her chin yesterday and I shaved the area to see if I could see anything like a sting bite or maybe she scratched her neck and got it in fected....nothing there. Im bringing her to the vet first thing and I'll let everyone know what he says about it. Hoping its not a tumor. :(
I took him to the vet ,he has been on meds two day,it looks a little different how long does it take notice the medicine to work.