Dogs Community
Dog's butt always stinks and dirty

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog's butt always stinks and dirty

My 14 year old Yorkshire Terrier started having a problem 2 weeks ago.  Her butt is always smelly and dirty.  I took her to a groomer to have her anal sacs expressed and three days later the problem came back.  I swear to God I don't know what to do about it.  I love the dog, but the smell is killing me.  Not to mention I made the mistake of letting the dog sleep on my bed for her entire life.  Ever since this problem started I've laid a big towel on my quilt so she won't get it dirty.   It's leaving me with lots of extra laundry cuz I sometimes use 2 or 3 towels a day for the dog.  Last night, I washed her in the bath tub and she was 100% clean.  I put her on my bed and two hours later there was a big brown stain on the towel and her butt stunk so bad.  I don't know what to do.  I could get doggie diapers made out of cloth just to keep her from staining everything, but that won't help with the smell.  I'm washing her butt in the tub 2-3 times a day, but each time it only stays clean for a couple hours.  It's stressing me out.   Since expressing her anal sacs didn't work, is there anything else that can be done?  I'd take her to the vet, but I honestly don't know if there is something they could do.
Have you taken her to the Vet??? I suspect that her anal sacs are infected and she can't control the leakage. Antibiotics are inexpensive and your Vet should be able to take care of this. I pray that any of my furkids make it to 14, no matter what they impose on me....My theory:  Any of my material possessions are replacable; my dog is not!!!   Good luck to you both.
No, I haven't cause my experiences with taking my dog to the vet have been very bad.  she always comes back in worse shape than before.   vaccine shots make her sick and the needle hurt her back the last time and she could barely walk for a few days.   i haven't taken her to the vet since.  maybe, i'm exaggerating when I say it's "leaking" out of her butt.   it's not like a faucet, but it happens really slowly over hours and leads to a horrible smell and staining.    i just ordered some custom fit doggie diaper panties off ebay.
If you've had a bad experience with one Vet, I don't blame you, I wouldn't go back to them either. Maybe you could find a different Vet and try again. I bet this problem can be taken care of, but I still feel like she needs antibiotics...I'm afraid that she's only going to get worse. It would be easier to treat it now. I know your Yorkie must hate the accidents & smell, too. Does it seem to be upsetting her? Anyway, I hope you get the problem resolved....Good luck to you both.    Karla