Dogs Community
Dogs nose and eyes turn pinkish red when excited

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I have a Great Dane/ Mastiff pup who is 8 1/2 months old. Whenever he gets mad or excited, his nose and whites of his eyes turn pinkish red. The part of his nose that turns red is the top of his snout, which has white hair. I have read that it could be a food allergy, dish allergy or its just turning colors. I don't understand how an allergy can only flare up if the dog is excited.
I am feeding IAMS puppy. I am wondering if I should switch foods.
The color stays pink for about 10 mins or so and then goes back to white.
Any advice?
Mucus membranes and the whites of the eyes can turn pinkish red (or even quite bright red in some instances) when a dog is excited as a result of a rise in the blood pressure.  This is not uncommon in young, excitable dogs.  It sounds like his color returns to normal fairly quickly so it's simply the excitement that is causing it.  You might want to discuss his diet with the vet to see if he or she can recommend something besides the Iams for him.  As grocery store foods go it's OK, but there ARE much better foods out there that might be better for him.

Ghilly