Dogs Community
Dogs paw wont heal

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dogs paw wont heal

My dog recieved a bite or cut in february which will not heal. I have taken her back 6 times to vets. She has had Cortizone shot. A round of antibiotics and paw bathed daily in Epson salts as per the Vets insructions. It heals or looks healed, Then stop the antibiotics after the complete course and a week or so later it reopns bleeds and I take her back to the vets. She has the victorian collor on, she does not touch or lick the paw, When it reopens I take her back to the Vets. They say it is an allergy , or think it is, no xrays or local inspection to see if soemthing is in it. I get more antibiotics go throught it again, it heals , stop the antibiotics and its back yet again.Four times now over four months. Its frustrating and anoying but all I am interested in is my dog being healed and ok.. I am going back again tomorrowto the vets and trying to be delicate , I have asked to see another vet, second opinion I guess youd call it. I have insurance there so cannot realy afford to go somewhere else. PLEASE does anyone have any iput or ideas as to what I can do, Its getting old.  
Sounds to me like something important is being over-looked here, but i don't know what it is.  Has your vet done any cytology on a cell-swab from the wound?  There could be identifiable cells present that could tell the doctor what the real problem is.  Now, i'm not a vet, and I'm not saying this is the case with your dog: staph infections are notorious for being almost impossible to heal.  Ask your vet about this possibility also.  I hope this is helpful.  Blessings to you and your dog - Blu
Another thing that comes to mind is that, if the wound is on a place that opens up when she puts weight on the foot, perhaps it needs to be sutured for a good long time?  You mention the possibility of a foreign body in the wound, and it's true that sometimes a sliver of glass can get in deep and not be visible.  In that case, suturing over it seems like the wrong thing to do.  The glass would have to be removed or, at the very least, allowed to work its way out.  

I'm like Blu; I know something is wrong in this situation, but I don't know what.  There is an Expert forum on this site where you should be able to get a veterinarian's opinion.  You could ask your question there, and I would suggest putting a link to this thread in your Expert question, so the doctor can see what Blu and I had to say to you.
Agree with the other replies.  Surprised the Epsom salts didn't help but I would continue that as it dies help draw poison out.  Paw wounds can take a long time to heal and be frustrating as they are on it all the time and bearing weight.  I would like a second opinion also and I would ask that a culture and X-ray be done.
Years ago, I had a human friend who was in a car wreck, and she hit the windshield with her forehead.  Months after the wreck, we happened to be together, and she put a hand up to her head and came away with a sliver of glass that had finally worked its way out of the wound.  She had been treated at an ER at the time of the accident.
Maybe it was weeks after the accident, and not months, but still.  I believe she had a plastic surgery consultation, at the time.  Weird things happen.
I received a call from the vet  They has sent a sample to be tested.It has come back positive for MRSA. Finally have found an answer and the vet said they have identified a antibiotic that is not resistant and it should clear it up. Thanks for all your input.
Colm
.I received a call from the vet  They has sent a sample to be tested.It has come back positive for MRSA. Finally have found an answer and the vet said they have identified a antibiotic that is not resistant and it should clear it up. Thanks for all your input.
Colm .
Glad that was done and you do have an answer and hope the right antibiotic will clear it up.  Had one myself on my arm from a dog scratch!  Do try to keep your hands clean.  Did the Vet suggest cleaning with an anti-bacterial soap?