DOGS
COMMUNITY
Dry Eye or Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca” or “KCS”
by Margaret1959, Jul 29, 2008
I have spent over $3000 in six months with no relief of the Dry Eye in my Rat Terrier.  I have seen two regular Vets and one Opthalmology Vet.  The treatments is always the same, Fluroescien Stain, Shcirmer Test, then meds, so far - Cyclosporine 2 percent, NeoPolyDex, I-Drop/Genteal gel with or without Triemethoprim Solution and or Doxycycline Tablets and Chloramphenicol Drops, etc. etc.

My poor dog is no better than she was six months ago and I am BROKE.  Her eyes are severely itchie, the mucus is thick on them until I put in the cyclosporin and then it globs out to give her reilef for what 2 hours and then her eyes are shut again.  Saline with lubricant does not break up the mucus. When I put a cotton swab in the corner of her eye and get the stuff out she shudders because it hurts.

I need help, I cannot find any more information on line then what these Vets have done already.  I can't get in and out of the Opthalmologist for less than $300.00 and it's always the same thing "This may be as good as it gets", what the????? If she was a human that would not be a good enough answer.

HELP
Member Comments (35)
by Misfits4MeBlank, Jul 29, 2008
Hi Margaret, I waited to see if anyone else responded to your plea. I've already lived through the same thing for 2 years. However, I may can help you. Does your little guy have any allergies? Skin disorders, yeast infection, body odor, anything like that that he is/or has been treated for? Did this just show up with allergy season? Did they get better with the Doxy? Have you tried an antihistamine such as Benedryl? How about his age and health? Bloodwork show anything unusual? Let me know any more info. about him and I'll see if anything "rings a bell" with what I've seen and done in my guy.  Thanks,  Karla
by Margaret1959, Jul 30, 2008
She is 6 years old, a Rat Terrier.  She has always loved to have her eyes rubbed softly.  About 6 months ago, the gunk started showing up in her eyes.  I just figured it was a "dog" thing.  But one day when I took a tissue to remove it from the corner she winced and I realized her eye was sore.  Took her to the Vet and they diagnosed her with Dry Eye.  She is perfect, nice teeth, skin no allergies.  Her bloodwork showed nothing unusual.  Doxy seems to have done NOTHING. The only thing I changed was from Advantage to Comfortis?  And neither Vet seems to think that could be the cause. Now on the body odor, lately she has been having a "not so fresh" smell.  One day when she was sitting on my lap I got a wet spot on my shorts and P.U.  I think it came from her vagina, but she does not have any discharge.  The Vet (ophthalmologist) called in an RX yesterday for oral Cephlexin Tablets 250 mg. twice daily.  I am on my way to pick them up now.  That does seems high, I will research it first. Thank you for taking an interest in helping me.  Margaret
by Misfits4MeBlank, Jul 30, 2008
Hi Margaret, Sorry about the he thing, I see it's a she. I'm not sure where to even begin, but here goes. This one will be lengthy. * My guy came to me with bad eyes. However, I did not address them at first as there was too many other serious medical issues that had to be taken care of. When I did get around to the eyes, everything you listed is what I tried. Along with numerious "Sure cures" via the internet. I did not take this lightly though. I did everything the vet's told me to use for 1yr. I finally decided I needed a different approach. Then decided to figure it out myself as nothing they offered worked. The only difference is my guy had elevated liver enzymes that continued to rise at an alarming rate. To me, that meant too many toxins in the system and no where to go. Thus, they filter through skin and EYES. He also suffers from skin problems. I was able to get his liver healed, but will not go into that as it does not apply to your case. However, I continue to give him his Liver meds.  to help filter toxins from his system. This may be a factor!  In one desperate attempt I contacted a Holistic Vet to order a eye wash they offered. I did thorough research on not only this man, but his clinic. While I waited for the wash, I asked if I could rinse his eyes with Colloidal Silver? They said yes, and to make sure to use a lubricatng ointment at night. (I had both items on hand). OK, now I know someone is going to pipe in here and say I made a mistake doing this!  IMO, I had nothing to lose. I figured he would go blind anyway if I didn't keep trying. I wasn't taking: "This may be the best that it gets."  
To be continued.....Sorry, Margaret I gotta go for awhile.  I will continue, later.  Karla
by Misfits4MeBlank, Jul 30, 2008
P.S.  I have a 16lb. Bichon that has taken 250mg. twice a day. She did fine........
by Misfits4MeBlank, Jul 31, 2008
Part 2:  I used the eye wash for about 6 wks. and though there was improvement, not enough. BUT, the Collidal Silver (Purchase at a Health food store) worked wonders! I still use it if I see any goop forming in his eyes. Now the eye drops: The very best product I have found for Dry Eye is called I-Drop Vet Opthalmolic Solution (20 Dose Pipettes). My Vet is who orginally gave me samples of these. She does not carry it so I order online. I have only found two places that carry it in the states. The company is out of Canada and have for years made human eye care products. Just recently started making eye products for animals. They also make a wonderful eye wash. Called  I-Lid N-Lash Cleansing Gel. Both of these products are a MUST!  OK, now here is the only place to get both products: "California Veterinary Supply."  This place is great and I usually have my order in 4-5 days. I'm in OK.  Next, (This may be the most important)  Get her on a GRAIN FREE DIET. I have found about 5 different brands, but my favorite is "Innova Evo".
I buy the turkey-chicken canned and dry. The dry is called Small bites. They make other flavors, but these my dogs love. It has made an incredible difference in all of them! I have to drive 120 miles to get this. If you don't have access to this food, get back to me. I know a place online that if you spend $50 on food (Easy to do), shipping is free! (Doesn't matter if it's cases of canned or bagged, and no matter what weight).Delivery is very fast, too.  Can't beat that and it's much less money then Gas!  :)  
  Another thing:  If I were you, I would try Benedryl to see if it helps with the eye inflamation. Then you could determine if it is allergy related. The dose is 1mg. per pound and can be given 4 times a day. My "Chance" is in Heart Failure and cannot take Benedryl. Makes his heart do weird things. But, if he was young and healthy, I would not hesitate to try it.  Alright, I think that's it....His eyes have been perfect for 6mos. I suspect it's probably the first time in his life.. He's 12 yrs. old and I've had him for 2 1/2 yrs.  :)   Let me know if some of this is unclear. I'll answer any more questions you have. I'm sure I'll think of something else to add later. If so, I'll send again. Good luck to both of you and give your baby a kiss for me........Karla
by Margaret1959, Aug 01, 2008
Thank you so much for your care and concern for my baby. You have shown more compassion than the Vets she has been going to.  I WILL change her diet today, we have two specialty dog food stores here in Orlando.  I was using the I-Drops, but switched to a human type, I will get more I-Drops. Also will try the Collidal Silver.  I will keep you posted. A freind of mine takes his dog to anHolistic/Accupuncture clinic and the change in diet is the first thing they recommend. Send me a real email so that we can correspond of list.  Mine is ***@****  Thank you so much.  Margaret
by Margaret1959, Aug 01, 2008
hummmmm it won't let me leave a real email address???  I will try and fake it out, my email is first part: talkinghand -  then the Ampersand - then a dot - and then a net  If this doesn't work, I will see you back here on the list.
by Misfits4MeBlank, Aug 01, 2008
Hi Margaret, I'm having terrible internet problems, here. Have to wait for my son to get home from vacation to resolve it. He's actually (In your neck of the woods) on Pensacola Beach for the week. I wanted to do a search on "Comfortis" side effects, complaints, problems, etc.,but my net just isn't going through quickly enough.  :(   I would highly suspect this as being the possible problem. Until you know for sure, I would not rule it out. If you need an alternative treatment for awhile, let me know. (I have one of those, too.  :)  Oh yes, my second favorite eye drop is Genteal Gel. I see you have this one. I do use this one alot, also.  Now, I hate to sound stupid, but what is a Ampersand?  OK, gotta go get medications down "Baby Chance". Talk to you soon.....Karla
by Margaret1959, Aug 02, 2008
hahaha ampersand is the "at" sign in your email address, it is on the number 2 key.  

Thank you for everything.  It seems like the anitbiotic might be helping "a little". Have a great weekend.

Margaret