Dogs Community
Dry Eye or Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca” or “KCS”

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I have spent over $3000 in six months with no relief of the Dry Eye in my Rat Terrier.  I have seen two regular Vets and one Opthalmology Vet.  The treatments is always the same, Fluroescien Stain, Shcirmer Test, then meds, so far - Cyclosporine 2 percent, NeoPolyDex, I-Drop/Genteal gel with or without Triemethoprim Solution and or Doxycycline Tablets and Chloramphenicol Drops, etc. etc.

My poor dog is no better than she was six months ago and I am BROKE.  Her eyes are severely itchie, the mucus is thick on them until I put in the cyclosporin and then it globs out to give her reilef for what 2 hours and then her eyes are shut again.  Saline with lubricant does not break up the mucus. When I put a cotton swab in the corner of her eye and get the stuff out she shudders because it hurts.

I need help, I cannot find any more information on line then what these Vets have done already.  I can't get in and out of the Opthalmologist for less than $300.00 and it's always the same thing "This may be as good as it gets", what the????? If she was a human that would not be a good enough answer.

HELP
Hi Margaret, I waited to see if anyone else responded to your plea. I've already lived through the same thing for 2 years. However, I may can help you. Does your little guy have any allergies? Skin disorders, yeast infection, body odor, anything like that that he is/or has been treated for? Did this just show up with allergy season? Did they get better with the Doxy? Have you tried an antihistamine such as Benedryl? How about his age and health? Bloodwork show anything unusual? Let me know any more info. about him and I'll see if anything "rings a bell" with what I've seen and done in my guy.  Thanks,  Karla
She is 6 years old, a Rat Terrier.  She has always loved to have her eyes rubbed softly.  About 6 months ago, the gunk started showing up in her eyes.  I just figured it was a "dog" thing.  But one day when I took a tissue to remove it from the corner she winced and I realized her eye was sore.  Took her to the Vet and they diagnosed her with Dry Eye.  She is perfect, nice teeth, skin no allergies.  Her bloodwork showed nothing unusual.  Doxy seems to have done NOTHING. The only thing I changed was from Advantage to Comfortis?  And neither Vet seems to think that could be the cause. Now on the body odor, lately she has been having a "not so fresh" smell.  One day when she was sitting on my lap I got a wet spot on my shorts and P.U.  I think it came from her vagina, but she does not have any discharge.  The Vet (ophthalmologist) called in an RX yesterday for oral Cephlexin Tablets 250 mg. twice daily.  I am on my way to pick them up now.  That does seems high, I will research it first. Thank you for taking an interest in helping me.  Margaret
Hi Margaret, Sorry about the he thing, I see it's a she. I'm not sure where to even begin, but here goes. This one will be lengthy. * My guy came to me with bad eyes. However, I did not address them at first as there was too many other serious medical issues that had to be taken care of. When I did get around to the eyes, everything you listed is what I tried. Along with numerious "Sure cures" via the internet. I did not take this lightly though. I did everything the vet's told me to use for 1yr. I finally decided I needed a different approach. Then decided to figure it out myself as nothing they offered worked. The only difference is my guy had elevated liver enzymes that continued to rise at an alarming rate. To me, that meant too many toxins in the system and no where to go. Thus, they filter through skin and EYES. He also suffers from skin problems. I was able to get his liver healed, but will not go into that as it does not apply to your case. However, I continue to give him his Liver meds.  to help filter toxins from his system. This may be a factor!  In one desperate attempt I contacted a Holistic Vet to order a eye wash they offered. I did thorough research on not only this man, but his clinic. While I waited for the wash, I asked if I could rinse his eyes with Colloidal Silver? They said yes, and to make sure to use a lubricatng ointment at night. (I had both items on hand). OK, now I know someone is going to pipe in here and say I made a mistake doing this!  IMO, I had nothing to lose. I figured he would go blind anyway if I didn't keep trying. I wasn't taking: "This may be the best that it gets."  
To be continued.....Sorry, Margaret I gotta go for awhile.  I will continue, later.  Karla
P.S.  I have a 16lb. Bichon that has taken 250mg. twice a day. She did fine........
Part 2:  I used the eye wash for about 6 wks. and though there was improvement, not enough. BUT, the Collidal Silver (Purchase at a Health food store) worked wonders! I still use it if I see any goop forming in his eyes. Now the eye drops: The very best product I have found for Dry Eye is called I-Drop Vet Opthalmolic Solution (20 Dose Pipettes). My Vet is who orginally gave me samples of these. She does not carry it so I order online. I have only found two places that carry it in the states. The company is out of Canada and have for years made human eye care products. Just recently started making eye products for animals. They also make a wonderful eye wash. Called  I-Lid N-Lash Cleansing Gel. Both of these products are a MUST!  OK, now here is the only place to get both products: "California Veterinary Supply."  This place is great and I usually have my order in 4-5 days. I'm in OK.  Next, (This may be the most important)  Get her on a GRAIN FREE DIET. I have found about 5 different brands, but my favorite is "Innova Evo".
I buy the turkey-chicken canned and dry. The dry is called Small bites. They make other flavors, but these my dogs love. It has made an incredible difference in all of them! I have to drive 120 miles to get this. If you don't have access to this food, get back to me. I know a place online that if you spend $50 on food (Easy to do), shipping is free! (Doesn't matter if it's cases of canned or bagged, and no matter what weight).Delivery is very fast, too.  Can't beat that and it's much less money then Gas!  :)  
  Another thing:  If I were you, I would try Benedryl to see if it helps with the eye inflamation (inflammation). Then you could determine if it is allergy related. The dose is 1mg. per pound and can be given 4 times a day. My "Chance" is in Heart Failure and cannot take Benedryl. Makes his heart do weird things. But, if he was young and healthy, I would not hesitate to try it.  Alright, I think that's it....His eyes have been perfect for 6mos. I suspect it's probably the first time in his life.. He's 12 yrs. old and I've had him for 2 1/2 yrs.  :)   Let me know if some of this is unclear. I'll answer any more questions you have. I'm sure I'll think of something else to add later. If so, I'll send again. Good luck to both of you and give your baby a kiss for me........Karla
Thank you so much for your care and concern for my baby. You have shown more compassion than the Vets she has been going to.  I WILL change her diet today, we have two specialty dog food stores here in Orlando.  I was using the I-Drops, but switched to a human type, I will get more I-Drops. Also will try the Collidal Silver.  I will keep you posted. A freind of mine takes his dog to anHolistic/Accupuncture clinic and the change in diet is the first thing they recommend. Send me a real email so that we can correspond of list.  Mine is ***@****  Thank you so much.  Margaret
hummmmm it won't let me leave a real email address???  I will try and fake it out, my email is first part: talkinghand -  then the Ampersand - then a dot - and then a net  If this doesn't work, I will see you back here on the list.
Hi Margaret, I'm having terrible internet problems, here. Have to wait for my son to get home from vacation to resolve it. He's actually (In your neck of the woods) on Pensacola Beach for the week. I wanted to do a search on "Comfortis" side effects, complaints, problems, etc.,but my net just isn't going through quickly enough.  :(   I would highly suspect this as being the possible problem. Until you know for sure, I would not rule it out. If you need an alternative treatment for awhile, let me know. (I have one of those, too.  :)  Oh yes, my second favorite eye drop is Genteal Gel. I see you have this one. I do use this one alot, also.  Now, I hate to sound stupid, but what is a Ampersand?  OK, gotta go get medications down "Baby Chance". Talk to you soon.....Karla
hahaha ampersand is the "at" sign in your email address, it is on the number 2 key.  

Thank you for everything.  It seems like the anitbiotic might be helping "a little". Have a great weekend.

Margaret
Hi Margaret...Are you still around?  It's been 2wks. and I figure your girl's antibiotic has been finished. Any luck? How are her eyes doing, now? I tried to Email you at the specified address, but it would not go through. Am I missing part of your address? (I think it's the Net part)  Anyway, I've wondered about your furbaby....Let me know.....I hope you see this.....Karla
Have you tried a product called Optimmune?  The problem with the products that are mixed up specifically for KCS is that they are stabilized with, of all things, SOAP, which is in and of itself, extremely irritating to the eye.  So even though you are treating the condition, you are still putting an irritant into the eye.  Optimmune is an ointment that contains no soap, and therefore it's much more soothing to the eye.  Sometimes, depemding on the results of the Schirmer Tear Test, it's necessary to use it twice a day until a marked difference is seen, but I have seen miraculous changes with Optimmune, so it might be worth a try.  If that's not what you've been using in your dog's eyes, ask your vet about it.  It's not terribly expensive, either, a month's supply should be under $50, if I'm not mistaken.  It's worth asking about.  My aunt's dog had THE worst case of KCS I've ever seen, and Optimmune helped her tremendously, but it took about two months to start to see a difference.

Ghilly
Margaret......I'm still looking for you.....How's your guy?  I know your in Florida and have been pelted with horrible weather (And more to come).  If you see this, please respond.....I'm worried about you........Karla        
I have much experience with Dry eye since my Cairn Terrier has had it for about 4 years if not more. First let me start saying that you can purchase I-Drop Vet Ophthalmic Solution - 20 dose at Vetamerica for 16.99 and 5.95 shipping. We were on Optimmune for a while with our vet until she recommended us to a specialist, we went to the specialist after he end up getting an ucler in his eye due to lack of lubricant. He would rub it off. Now the poor dog lives with a cone on his head, with the fear he will get another ulcer. He has had surgery to repair the eye.

The eye healed but we cant get him to produce enough tears. For the past 2 years we have noticed on the last week of June he starts to develop the mucus in his eye, which when winter comes its not there. so we are suspecting allergies to Ragweed. His tear production at the moment is 0 in the eye that had surgery and 20 in the other. 20 is the best we have seen in like 3 years. We did benedryl at one point because he was chewing his paws and the specialist got upset, because benderyl dries the eyes. so now years later and very much money invested we have gone no where. We had a thyroid test done called T-4 and now he will be on meds for that and maybe that might help. good luck and I hope it you find something that works for you
My dog has had dry eyes for about 3 years. She recently was treated w/ round of antibiotics for infection. The vet is now recommending "denucleation" which is basically surgery removing the eyes. I don't know what to do. She says that she is in too much pain and if it were her dog this is what she would do.
I really think that i would get a second opinoin.Does she still have her vision?
Hi, I just want to say that my 9 year old shih-tzu Maggie has had some form of Conjunctivitis/dry eye for the past 5 months. I have taken her to the  vet 3 times - tried 2 different vets and lastly a pet opthamologist. This was her 4th doctor visit for the same problem. I've been prescribed eye drops, ointment and antibiotics by the different doctors. It's always the same, she gets better after the treatment of the meds is complete and then her eyes get bad again after the meds are complete. The only thing different is that the opthamologist has informed me that this is a dry eye problem that will have to be treated indefinitely. According to his treatment she will have to use the ointment (Optimmune) and the drops (Neyomycin) for ever perhaps. Well, I just don't get it! Her eyes have always been so healthy. My delicate little flower has always had one ailment or another, usually skin related but never has she ever had an issue with her eyes. Her eyes are big and beautiful and they never leaked. Now they leak all the time and even when they are doing well they are slightly pink. Sometimes they don't leak until I give her the meds which concerns me. The only thing different is that I switched her  from Frontline to Comfortis. Her eye condition started about a month after I gave her the first Comfortis pill. It didn't even dawn on me that comfortis could be the issue because her skin is all of a sudden in amazing condition because of it. We have a lot of stray cats and fleas in our neighborhood and one flea always manages to find her which usually causes a lengthy reaction and a trip to the vet if I cant get it under control. She has not had one flea bite since the Comfortis but rather now has an incurable eye condition. I've been searching the internet to see if anybody else has experienced the same thing.
I use to use Optimmune,But now i have Cyclosporine compounded into eye drops.It seems to work really well for my Peke.Also it goes alot further.When i use ointments i use alot and with the drops it is so much easier.
There are few alternatives/band-aids to a lifetime of HARMFUL steroids, antibiotics and OT eye drops/ ointments.

-Human supplement such as Bio tears.(see dosing for dog tears oral gel caps link)

There used to be doggy version Dog Tears Oral Gel Caps but it's discontinued.

If it works you might not have to use tear drops at all. It takes few weeks or months to get to see great improvemnt.

Dog Tears Oral Gel Caps- discontinued same as bio tears.

http://healthierdogs.com/dog_health/dry-eye-in-dogs/

http://www.dog-health-care-information.com/dryeye

BIO TEARS supplement- check their formula

http://www.biosyntrx.com/Product.php?ItemID=1

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=981

Hi to all. Our little girl Pixie, a 14 mo. old Japanese Chin, has dry eye. We believe it was caused by Comfortis. She came down with it about 2 weeks after we administered the Comfortis and we did not have her on any other medications. Lilly (who makes comfortis) paid for Pixie to see a K9 Opthamologist, to see if they were at fault. We went, and as expected, nothing can be determined as cause. They cannot prove it, so Lilly is off the hook. However, the op doc said he was suspicious, because, for one, Lilly offered to pay and opened a case, and also because an op doc friend of his has recently inquired of him if he'd heard of Comfortis causing dry eye. He also said he had another patient with a similarly suspicious problem after using Comfortis.  I wanted to see if any other dogs out there have had a similar problem. I sure hope not, it is horrible to watch a puppy squint and cry when all you can do is provide temporary relief. Anybody?
I've never heard of Comfortis, what is it?  Definately want to tell others of it to prevent the same thing happening that did to your baby
Oh Dear!!!!   I used "Comfortis"  (On all 3 of mine), last season & this season.....I'm sure disappointed to hear this, as I think it is (Or was) the best Flea control product I have ever encountered!  Thank you for the heads up.......I hope your baby Chin gets better......Karla
To Lindapalm: Comfortis is flea prevention given oraly on a monthly schedule.

To Misfits4Me: Well, if you've used it for so long without problems (as most people have) than I would not worry. My other dogs are all fine, although I''ve switched back to drops for everyone.  Pixie had a problem within weeks, so I would think if a dog is to react, it would be sooner rather than later. I'm not trying to scare people off, since any flea medicine has potential problems, I am just trying to see if others have had this issue right after using the drug. It is possible that the dry eye is an auto immune problem, but I find that hard to believe given her young age and the suspicious timing. My regular vet told me that when this happens to dogs this young, it is usually a drug reaction. Thanks for your well wishes!
I use Advantix on our dog, applied on her back.  I've never had any problem, but I'm sure there are alot of precautions on that med too, I've been lucky so far.
My sweet 2 year old miniature schnauzer was just recently diagnosed with KCS.  Through our vet we've tried the Optimmune but it did not help at all.  She's now on an antiobiotic cortisone 3 times a day with natural tear eye drops in between (per our Vet).  It's helped a wee bit, we now don't see the third eyelid appearing anymore.  But she squints all the time.  I don't like her being on cortisone for the rest of her life.  We've just changed her diet to a grain free diet to see if that helps.  I'm reading where certain people are recommending Colloidal silver.  I just bought a bottle of 250 ppm Colloidal silver from our health food store.  How do I use this?  She's 21 pounds.  How much would I use?  And how often?  Can anyone respond to these questions?  I'd be most appreciative.
Optimune and Tacrolimus did not work in my dog five years ago, when he was three years old; ophthalmologist said that there was nothing else he could do except attempt to divert saliva to his eyes through surgery, which I did not like.  However, I tried these medications several months later and Tacrolimus started working. Prior to the first treatment, my dog got an antibiotic, and it now seems to me that at that time his liver was too toxic (because of this antibiotic) to respond to the eye ointment (he is a small breed). My dog does not have a liver disease, but he has had problems with allergies since he was a puppy. He is now eight and doing well, he gets Tacrolimus twice a day, and I keep his eyes clean with Natural Tears from a human pharmacy.  I do not use them too much when his mucous is white, but clean his eyes more frequently when it becomes greenish.  He has never received any steroids or oral medications for his eyes, he is full of energy, his eyesight is good and his eyes do not bother him too much even though one of his eyes produces hardly any tears even with Tacrolimus. I do not clean the mucous too much when it is white, because when it is removed, his eye is dry.  I remove it when it is uncomfortable for him, when he squints. He did not get ulcers on any of his eyes during these past five years (he was getting them before Tacrolimus started working).
Margaret....Is this you? The original Margaret? I've checked this post for years hoping you'd check back in......Oh, I'm excited to think it might be.....Please, let me know......Karla
A MUST read articles on KCS treatment in dogs:
http://www.eyevet.ca/kcs.html

http://www.eyevettampa.com/dry-eye-in-animals.html

http://www.freesitesatxdm.co.uk/evc/content/view/25/19/

from Slatter's fundamentals of veterinary ophthalmology book:
kcs medical and surgical therapy
from pg166-171
http://books.google.ca/books?id=pjJKkwJbLBQC&pg=PA171&lpg=PA171&dq=%22Parotid+Duct+Transposition%22&source=vrt&ots=QBUrv6D6OB&sig=j8GnRvRyFt01GKqJPQO1lopvk8Y&hl=en&ei=q0JdTY3qC4S2tgfEmMWmCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=13&ved=0CHgQ6AEwDA#v=onepage&q=%22Parotid%20Duct%20Transposition%22&f=false

from the book Small animal ophthalmic surgery: practical techniques for the veterinarian
surgery for kcs:
pg 134-140

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Uh1aDxe9XycC&pg=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=%22Parotid+Duct+Transposition%22&source=vrt&ots=a-NX53YPCD&sig=81e-uxvuVYCMvhy2XfpdYXYN_W4&hl=en&ei=q0JdTY3qC4S2tgfEmMWmCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=11&ved=0CHEQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=%22Parotid%20Duct%20Transposition%22&f=false

surgery video:
http://vimeo.com/3806841

Margaret, stay away from Trimethoprim--could be toxic to the tear glands and nerves of the eye. Get over the counter Tears Natural in the vial (individual vials) package of 36. Bebe
My 13 year old Cairn terrier has a dry eye. It seemed to clear up when he was on some antibiotics for treatment for an inter-digital cyst, butsince he's come off that, its started up again. Which leads me to think the antibiotics did the trick!!  But it does seem a short-term solution for what is probably a longstanding, age-related condition.  I'm not sure what type of antibiotic it was, but will tryand find out. Otherwise, regular bathing with some warm saline solution also seems to help clean out the 'gunk' he gets in it.  But otherwise it looks quite red and sore, poor guy!.        
i have a 7 month old pug but since he was about 3 months he started developing some eye problems i have taken him to the vet a million times and ophtalmologists they say he have some ulcers  and they always give him some tobramycin eye drops and atropine ointment i honestly strongly dislike atropine because it dilates his pupils  but this seems to work for a few weeks and his eyes will be totally fine but then he scratches his eyes again and the discharge starts coming out of his eyes im really worried about this ive spent a loooooot on only his eyes and im also broke lol
My poor dog has the worst allergies, severe dry eyes, lived on Atopica, Optimmune and Comfortis (he's allergic to fleas).  I have since learned that all these meds have suppressed his immune system such that he got 3 severe bacterial infections (including Ecoli).  I have since switched him to raw food, stopped flea treatments (which are toxic), and am going to learn holistic approaches to building his immune system.  Our babies will never get better, and will only get sicker, if we keep giving them vaccines, antibiotics and other meds that weaken their immune system.  Check out raw feeding and holistic approaches to health.   Only when we treat their underlying conditions will they stop getting so sick.
Our miniature schnauzer - 1 1/2 years old- just got diagnosed with KCS today.  His eyes literally started filling up when he went on Comfortis.  Based on what others are saying here, I feel like there's a correlation.  Has anyone confirmed it?
For all doggies and their loving owners, please remember this: you are what you eat, knowing that makes the answers to many problems here simpler. I am sorry for everyone's difficulties but there are answers that you will love here, save you money and stop exposing you all to terrible chemicals that not only destroy parasites but you and your beloved poochies. We have been rescuing dogs for years, lately we have noticed many skin, digestive, and aging disorders come on sooner, so have the vets. These include the eyes, I am a fellow sufferer with my own eyes and have really empathized with our 4 legged pets who can not help themselves but need us to do this. First for eyes, you need cod liver oil (good source like Spring Valley, they do no use any chemicals that may hurt the eye like any alcohols, this can be tested by placing a drop of the oil on styrofoam for 30 minutes and if it leaves a hole it is bad oil), we use the capsules, please see almond oil too check with Dr. Pitcairn's books on all comments about feeding, drugs, vaccines, and special conditions, he also covers cats. Cod liver should be used after freely rinsing the eye with a decent saline solution, the purer the better but even Walmrt's own is good, just don't touch the eye with the tips of anything, especially the medicine bottle. The dogs eyes are supposed to naturally drain into their nose, that is why usually you see the 2 conditions together, just like in humans the cavity is connected, but with slightly different purposes, check with your vet for more info. Cod liver has been used for decades for eyes, both to ingest it as a supplement and on the eye for severe conditions, see here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1142681/, it is no secret. We sterilize a long pin with a head that we use to stick the capsule of the oil, then the oil gets squeezed on the eye without touching it, just 1-2 drops is fine for each affected eye, do this about 4 times a day, if the eye is super dry add a little Bausch & Lomb Soothe PM relief, it is just pure petroleum and mineral oil specially designed for the eye with no other chemicals. Again, do not touch the eye with anything other than the liquids and flushing and do not share the meds you are using with another pet or human. What is left in the capsule can be eaten by the dog or stick the pin in it and place it in a labeled clean medicine bottle and stick in the frig. Check with your doctor or Dr. Pitcairn how much cod liver oil and flaxseed oil can be digested by your dog daily.
As for skin, which comes with other problems, this is your dog's visible health board for you, it should be shiny, clear and not smelly, except maybe when wet:) Skin should also not be pink, swollen, dry, itchy or oozy.Healthy dogs repel and get over parasites and buggies. For skin, use apple cider vinegar, you may water it down, but for hot spots it is best used straight, it may bother them for about 10 seconds and then it will bring amazing relief, it can be left to dry or rinsed, this works on humans too, and it is ingested safely because it is just food, we have used other vinegars in a pinch but ACV works best, organic is better too, but more costly. For baths, get a tub fill with epsom salt  with warm water, dip dog and rinse with same water, pull out dog, now add flea/tick shampoo to the epsom salt water, any will do, but the simpler ingredients that works is best, agitate the water dip dog  and rinse with same shampoo water, let dog stand for usually 3-5 minutes, dump this water and rinse with clean water, now fill tub again with one of Dr Woods soaps and agitate warm water. This is best on the porch with warm water on a nice day, but we live up north so it is a good excuse to clean your bathroom, use towels only for your dogs, do not mix with yours. See here for soaps http://www.drwoodsproducts.com/, after that we sometimes use one more wash with oatmeal shampoo or simply with oatmeal water (let a lot of oatmeal stand in warm water strain it, but save the water for the bath and the oatmeal for your cookies or your dogs cookies, or both.  (recipes here, please search for the best https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=recipes+for+your+dog+and+you+free) Then rinse the pets fur well. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Oatmeal-Naturals-Berry-Blossom-Insect-Guard-Dog-Shampoo-18-fl-oz-Dogs/20713219
We give these baths every 3-4 weeks, please also check out holistic vets on-line and in your area http://thewholisticvet.com/, expect one month recovery for every year your dog is alive when you start these raw or simple food diets, also consider a fast diet for a few days but check with one of these vets first so you know how to do it, and some things may just need extra care because of genetics, age, or disease. Also check out these other sites for stories, support, and answers:http://www.thewholedog.org/index.html
http://www.drpitcairn.com/
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/
there are more just keep searching, it is cheaper, easier and you will be happier with your pet and these natural choices. Don't give up on the eyes, keep flushing and you can massage the outer closed eyes gently with a soft tissue with saline on it, or warm water on the tissue. Use a different tissue for each eye. You might even be able to use a eye cup and eye cleaner for those bad days, check with your vet with your final choices, if you want to feel most comfortable. We have had dogs grow back their hair, loose their swollen feet, resume normal peeing regimens and clear up their eyes and ears. If nothing else it is easier to do and will purify you and your dogs of many unnecessary chemicals, just because they sell it does not mean you should use it. Godspeed in all that you do and all that you love.
Hi it was good to see everyone's suggestions.... Thanks for them:)
I have a Peke with horrible dry eye, he (Benny) has been on the steroid and tear drops for about 18 months and seems to me to be worse,

He is the itchiest dog I've ever seen so I have him on a no grain diet.  He does get hot spots, so I think the apple cider vinegar dip I read about is a good one to try. Has anyone had good results with this on a very VERY long dense haired dog ?

Think I'm going to try Cod Liver Oil as a eye drop lubricant (have you tried this ?) and I'd like to wash his eyes with something other than water so I have a question about the colloidal silver, are you using it orally or as eye rinse?  (I have it already I personally use it to fight bacteria issues associated to dry mouth that cause cavity's)    

appreciate folks suggestions as would Benny he wasn't a very happy camper when I had to put tear drops in his eyes 7 times yesterday
Im in UK, managed to get some Biotears from amazon but does anyone know the dosage for dogs please.  I have a Parson Russell who as auto immune disorder, dry eye/lack of saliva (just had 16 teeth removed due to that:()  We have been using optimmune for years and it doesnt seem to help him, in fact it seems to irritate him.  I got lumecare which is less irritating for him and tears naturale but he is going blind - he seem to have a problem with close vision but ok long.  I so wish I could help him more.  We are using lumecare/optimmune/tears naturale every day virtually every hour or so.

So I read Biotears may help with his eyes but I cant find the dosage please?