Duck and potato diet?
I am watching my daughter's black lab.  She is on a diet of duck and potato dry dog food. She also takes 5 types of medication per day.  The poor dog seems starved to me -- and getting her to take these pills has been a disaster!  Yesterday I boiled some fresh potatoes, mashed them, and have opened the capsules and mixed the contents with these mashed potatoes.  She loves it and actually licks her bowl!  Is this acceptable to her diet?  Thank you SO MUCH for your help!
Duck and potato is a good diet for dogs with any kind of allergy problem.  Why do say the dog seems starved?  Does she just bolt her food like that meal will be her last?  Some dogs just eat that way.  If you think she's underweight, use the ribs for a general guideline.  You should be able to easily feel them, but not really see them.  If the dog does indeed appear to be underweight, simply increase the amount of food at mealtimes.

Emptying the pills into the food is a time-honored method of getting medication in dogs.  However, if the pill is supposed to be a time-released medication, the dog is getting the dose all at once - not a good thing.  You might call the dog's vet and ask if that method is OK with all the prescribed meds.  If you don't have the vet's number, ask Dr. Cheng over on the Ask a Vet forum.

Sounds like you're a great Grandma to your Grandpup!  :-)