Dogs Community
Ear Won't Stand

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Ear Won't Stand

My 8 month old Dobie has one ear up and one down.  We kept trying to tape it, but can't keep the ears taped - she keeps pulling them off.  Any suggestions to fix the one ear?
hi, i no this is not the same breed but i have a german shepherd puppy, one ear went up weeks before the other, she is a year now but both ears are standing, i heard it is common for one to go up a while b4 the other, hope this helps x
Our youngest Dobe has both ears down.  We struggled for a year and a half of taping and retaping.  He wouldn't keep them on.  And when he wasn't tearing them off, his great Dane brother tore them off.

Eventually we gave up.  We've never had a problem before like this Dobie's ears, and we've had several cropped Dobes.  

I will never crop another Dobe.  Too much trouble, too much pain for the dog for an uncertain result.  Our boy looks funny with his bent ears, but we love him regardless.  I wish we had never cropped him, though.  
I have a similar problem but with two Samoyeds. As pups, their ears almost stood upright. But they really enjoyed chewing on each other's ears while playfighting, and now those ears are permanently floppy. Taping never worked either. I think they're cute the way they are.
Our oldest Dobie had her ears taped for about a year and they looked like the "Flying Nun."  (I'm giving away my age here.)  Then when she was about 4-5 years old they started standing and have stood every since.  She will be 12 years old this coming May!  God bless her - she is the sweetest dog ever.

We have another Dobe - 8 months with the ear problem.  It's a sin she has one ear up and one down, but I agree - any future Dobes will have natural ears.  We had another Dobe that never had her ears cropped or tail docked.  People didn't think she was a purebred Dobie, but she was the most aggressive one of all!  Just before her 2nd birthday, she went into kidney failure and we had to have her put down.  That was the saddest day ever.

My husband and I never thought we'd own a Dobie, let alone have our 4th one now!  They are the most affectionate, loyal and smart dogs!  (Of course, we all think that of our dogs no matter what breed!)
I agreee totally as our dogs are all incredible and I myself have never thought of making a dog look a certain way as to ( my own opinion ) is almost cruel to tape a dogs ears just so it looks a certain way.  I think all dogs are beautiful in their own way and all they need is our love and attention and who cares if one ear doesn't stand up a certain way ???  they weren't born with two ears standing up why do we as owners what to do this to them anyways ( again my own opinion ).  I have greyhounds and they are incredible and at any given time their ears can stand up some together and sometimes our one looks like a deer hahahaha
I agree with you that a dog should look the way they were intended.  It is ashame that dogs ears and tails are cut to look a certain way.  We've gotten our Dobes from a breeder and they were already cut.  The one pup we had from birth we kept natural.  

How many greyhounds do you have?  Did you rescue them?  They are beautiful dogs - very similar to Dobermans.  Our two dogs are red Dobermans (which is more like a chocolate brown color).  I often think when they're running in the yard they look like deer, too!  
We have 5 at the present but usually babysit a few during the summer so can have as many as 7 or 8.  We love the breed as they are the most docile hound we have ever had and for the record none of them has ever been abused.  We always hear the same thing about what happens to them after they are finished racing BUT that is in the past.  I love these hounds as they are so loving and yes we have an acerage so they can run on one acre of closed in land and they love it.
We are in Canada and yes they are all rescues and we help people here in Canada adopt these incredible creatures.