End stages of Kidney Failure
Hi Everyone..... This is one of the most difficult things I've ever had to deal with. My beloved Gypsy is dying of kidney failure. Gypsy is a Jack Russell Terrier and she turned 18...yes 18...on Christmas Day.

It's just so hard to know when it is "time." I prayed and prayed that she would give us one final parting gift and die on her own in her sleep...but she is SUCH a fighter and refused to surrender to this thing. We keep her comfortabel with sub-q infusions daily, Calcitriol, Aluminum hydroxide and novox. One day she seems bad and then the next day she is up and climbing a full flight of stairs and getting on the sofa by herself! Other days she can barely stand.

She sleep most of the time but today she has been shivering almost uncontrollably. I finally wrapped her in a warm blanket and held her for a while and she stopped shivering...she is asleep now.  This is GUT WRENCHING. I know that you are all thinking that "OMG...she is 18...she's had a long life...put her down" but if you knew Gypsy... well she was spry as can be until she had to have surgery in November for a tooth abcess... She was under anesthesia way too long and developed acute pancreatitis (she also came back almost blind because the stupid vet didn't moisurize her eyes and she developed corneal ulcers)...She recovered from that (still can barely see) but then her kidneys started failing and haven't improved since.

She is skinny as a rail now....will only eat a bite or two occasionally (I supplement with Nutrical).. I read about how people look into their dogs eyes and "know." That hasn't been the case with me yet. I look into her cloudy eyes and just see a fighter who only wants to be with me.

My question.....How do you KNOW when it is time? AND, is there ANY chance she will just fall asleep and not wake up...or is everything I'm doing for her (infusions, etc) stopping that from happening?

Please help me....
Hello & welcome.....WOW!!!  Did your Vet really send her home with nothing???? Why is he Not treating for the Anaplasmosis? The treatment of choice is always Doxycycline and the dog should show remarkable improvement in 3-5 days once started on the antibiotic!!!

The kidneys need to supported with fluids & medication and a renal diet until the disease is past.......Fluids are vital to flush the toxins quickly...You can do this at home once the Vet shows you how......This disease is also contagious to humans, but one of my dogs has had something similar & I was never treated!!

She needs Cerenia (From your Vet) for the nausea & some vets will use an anti-inflammatory because of joint pain.. I would NOT use one because they can harm the kidney's more...

For food: Feed her chicken & rice!!!! At least, cook the rice, the chicken can be cooked or raw!  Get to a local pet store & find a CAN of green tripe...Two or three companies make one.....See if she will eat it! Don't panic when you smell it......It's a wonder food!!! Also, you can buy a tube of Nutri-cal at either your Vet or petstore.....It's a high quality meal replacement supplement & she needs it since she's not eating...It WILL substain her! I find it at Petco, NOT petsmart....
Only feed moisture rich foods to keep her fluids flowing.....

I personally think you can turn this all around.....I don't understand what your Vet is thinking!!!

How was the Anaplasmosis diagnosed?? Was it a snap test or full blood panel? Your Vet must have already done a panel or he wouldn't know the extent of the Kidney failure! Do you have a copy??? You need one! Get any results from this Vet & find another Vet ASAP.....

If you have copies of the tick panel AND the blood panel, you will not need to repeat any of these at a different Vet!!! You need to hurry on this...

Please, let us know........Karla
The above post is for  "Miribell"....
I think with being so upset last night, I didn't explain myself well.  The vet did send Aly home with medicine.  She is on Prednisone, Famotidine, and Amoxicillin.  The vet really is caring and called this morning to check on her.  

Also I talked to another vet friend and she said that if Aly didn't respond to fluids, there wasn't much else to do.   However, she feels that the kidney failure was not caused by anaplasmosis, but that she may have an auto immune or genetic kidney disease that caused this.  It's all so surreal.

However, today Aly showed more energy and even greeted me at the door when I came home.  (Yesterday she was so letharic and seemed disinterested and depressed.). Today she ate some turkey meat and  a cup of Acana Wild Prairie Regional Formula.  That was extremely encouraging.  (First time really eating in over a week!)

I really appreciate the thoughts and advice.  We still have time to figure this out, I believe.
Do you have a copy of the bloodwork? I would be curious about some of it.....Thanks, Karla

P.S. Delighted she's feeling better..... :)  
Thank you! :) I do not have a copy of the blood work.  I'll have to ask for it.
One thing you can try is using baby food as a gravy.  Sometimes dogs like it and it doesn't worsen many health conditions.  I am going through a similar thing and it makes her hyperallergenic food tastier.  I roll the food into meatballs and hand feed her.  She is eating again.
One thing you can try is using baby food as a gravy.  Sometimes dogs like it and it does worsen many health conditions.  I am going through a similar thing and it makes her hyperallergenic food tastier.  I roll the food into meatballs and hand feed her.  She is eating again.
I was able to get my dog to eat by first letting her eat fat-free cottage cheese.  I then was able to get her to eat boiled chicken.  A few days later she was able to eat dog food that was mostly chicken.  She is now eating a few other hypoallergenic dog foods, but I had to put baby food on it as a gravy.  I wake up afraid each morning that she won't eat so I know how you feel.  It was devastating last week when my dog wouldn't eat. I couldn't concentrate on anything else. My heart goes out to you.  I hope this helps.
PS: My dog liked the food better when I rolled it into meatballs before putting the baby food sauce on it.  
My jack Russell was diagnosed with final stage of kidney failure in March 2014. We brought him for acupuncture and he was prescribed with Chinese herbs grinded into powder. The animal acupuncturist told us that those capsules we made by himself and good for my dog's weak legs. We trusted him and our folly lead to the acute kidney failure of my dog.

We were told that he can last for days or months but not exceeding six months. There are three downturn in his health condition and the third took his life on 6 July 2014. His blood test results had never improve since March but he look outwardly alright. His preference of food changes from day to day. I can prepare a few types of meat in a day to see which is to his liking. He may eat all or just little. In the first two months, we took great care to ensure he eats a healthy and balanced diet. His food was KD in the morning and steamed meat with cauliflower, potato and carrots at night. By the third month, it was no longer a matter of what he eat but just to ensure he eats to keep going.

The vet has prescribed him with Science diet KD and he eats that most of the time on his own. On days when he don't eat enough, we will blend he KD cannned food and syringe into his mouth. He is on daily drip of 100-200ml of sodium chloride once or twice a day depending if his gums are dry from dehydration. He is prescribed quater Phospate Binder twice a day and fed anti nausea as and when he starts vomiting. We understand that with the Phospate binder and daily drip, he should not go into seizure. His stools are mostly soft and urine is colorless. We have note books to track his food, activity and pee/poo. Being senile, he sleeps in the morning and awake at night. His legs are weak and may not be able to get up when he fall.  He therefore requires 24 hour care as he has forgotten to pee or poo on the newspaper.

The week before his passing, he started eating very little. Three days before his departure, he stopped eating and drink small sips of water. The day before he left me, he vomited brown liquid (previously yellow) , wake up every two hours during daytime to whine and bark . We knew that his time is near but thought it would be better for him to die at home as he never like going to the vet. We regretted this decision that night as he whine and bark nonstop from 11pm to 5am. It was very clear then that he is very uncomfortable His poo has turned black by then. We cannot bear to see his suffer further and wanted to bring him to the vet in the morning. Before we left home, he started vomiting, pee and poo all at the same time for about two minutes. He passed on thereafter.

There are many lessons to be learned from your experience. The biggest, perhaps, is never ever ever go to a Chinese herbalist - because the Chinese herbs are very often poisonous to dogs and very often contain very bad and often unethical ingredients. The second lesson is that kidney failure can be extremely painful towards the last few days, so no matter how hard it may be, euthanasia is the very best option for the dog.

I am so sorry you and your dog experienced this dreadful end phase, but at least they are at peace now and no longer suffering. My thoughts are with you during this time of loss.

Tony
You are absolutely right on the Chinese herbs. I only understand after this incident that soil that the herbs are planted on may be toxic , passing on the harmful substance to the herb itself. The Chinese doctors themselves may also add lead or mercury in the grinded medication so that the patients can show more improvement outwardly. As a rule of thumb, we should never consume chinese grinded herbs as we will not know what goes in there.

As for euthanasia, I understand that these are the few situations that may indicate that the dog's time is near:-

1. vomiting of brown or greenish bile
2. black poo
3. Stop eating and drinking for more than two days

Hello again. The other thing with many Chinese herbs are they sometimes (commonly) contain traces of animal parts, such as rhino horn, which means that in order for one animal to (seemingly) get help, another animal had to die - and that other animal is often one of an endangered species.

The only other thing I would add to your post above is that blood analysis is the clearest indication of when euthanasia might be considered, because once the BUN and creatinine levels are continuing to skyrocket despite interventions, the kidneys are clearly continuing to fail. And lastly, a dog will always tell its owner when he or she has had enough of life and of fighting - it's the hardest thing to witness - but it happens.

Tony
I know it has been a while since anyone has posted, but I thought I would give it a shot.  I am the mommy to a wonderful furbaby that I call my Weatherbug.  He will be 2 yrs old in April 2015.  He was diagnosed in Nov 2013 at the age of 7 months with renal failure.  We have battled his weight, I have done reading upon reading upon reading, changed his diet many times over, and finally have one that he is eating.  It took us some time, but got him from 76 lbs up to 101 now.  But, Oct 2014 we thought it was me going back to work that triggered something in him, and he started fighting with one of the other house dogs.  We have that under control, but now he stares into space and starts barking.  I have asked many people about it and they blow it off as he is barking at the paranormal.  While I believe in that, that is not the look in his eyes.  It is a blank glossy stare, and I try and bring him back telling him mama loves him and look at mama.  It has been taking a little longer to get his attention, so getting a little worried.  In Oct his BUN and Creatinine was was continuing to go up, and I am afraid to get the numbers checked again.  He has begun shaking, we are atributing it to the cold outside, but I am beginning to think not.  I am able to get him to still eat.  Some days it is more than others.  He still drinks alot, but us urinating fine still, no more or less than throughout all this.  Now, if you don't tell him he is sick, he doesn't know.  He loves to play, and will play so silly,and I love it.  I know I am being selfish, because I love him, and don't want to lose him.  I want to do everything I can to keep him around.  Am I seeing signs and have my blinders on and ignoring them?  I don't know that I have the courage to put him to sleep.  Whenever someone says that is what I should do, he loves and plays like nothing is wrong.  Any directions is appreciated.  I am just lost and heartbroken right now.  There is so much background on this I just didn't want to clog your board with.  Thanks in advance.
Hello. Firstly, you are not clogging the board, so don't worry about that at all. Your concerns are why this board is here and why the many people (like me) come here to try to help, where we can. I would suggest you join our specialised User Group, as there you will be able to ask pertinent questions and get replies from others who have or have had dogs with chronic kidney failure. I administrate this Group, so you will also find me there most days. The User Group can be found by hovering your cursor over the Forums button (top left) and clicking on User Groups. In the Search ar, type or copy and paste CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS - and that should take you to the Groups page. Join the Group, and then post your questions.

Next, let's deal with blood testing ... I know you fear the results, but it's only by having the results that you will know a) the state of health in your dog currently; and b) whether any interventions made to diet and treatment is making any difference. It is therefore absolutely crucial to get the blood testing regime up and running as a first priority and as soon as you can.

It is very difficult to accept (as an owner) that such a young dog can become so very ill, but that's the way things are sometimes. This is likely to be a genetic problem. Has anyone (vets) given advice about this? The other possibility is the background of the puppy. Do you know what it was given for food, for example, as bad foods and even toxic substances can initiate kidney failure. If (as I suspect) this is a cognitive problem from birth, there will have been an irreversible loss of functioning nephrons, leading to decreased kidney function. This cannot be cured and will be progressive. Diet and other treatments and supplements may help prolong life for a time, but (sadly) your puppy is unlikely to survive more than a year or two at the most. This is hard to take in, I know, but it's better you know the inevitable will happen.

On a more positive note, there are things you can do to help in the interim. Diet is a big issue, particularly with puppies, who need various nutrients to maintain the good health of other organs, as well as the kidneys. You may find this article on diet of value, which is something I wrote a short time ago to help owners with CKF dogs:

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_Diet_Affects_Dogs_with_Chronic_Kidney_Disease

I would also strongly suggest you read this one too, as it explains the various everyday foods that should be avoided in all dogs:

http://www.infobarrel.com/Everyday_Foods_That_Are_Poisonous_To_Dogs

I think your puppy may be having minor seizures. The "lost" look, the vague behaviour and even the aggression and barking is all symptomatic of a petit-mal seizure attack. Seizures are not uncommon in dogs with kidney failure. You should bring this to the attention of your vet, who can try prescribing a suitable anti-convulsant. Unfortunately, it takes a while for anti-convulsants to work and there are almost always some disturbing side effects initially to deal with. Also, any and all medications will further adversely affect the kidneys ... so it's a Catch-22 situation ... the question is which is more important to deal with, and your vet can help advise on that. I would say, deal with the seizures, because they are affecting your dog's daily life, while the kidney disease has a more certain long-term outcome, and there won't be a huge amount you can do to stop that.

The ultimate challenge is deciding when to do the kindest thing. Some may suggest that time has already arrived. Only you can assess that. Instead of tying to plan for it, try thinking on a day-by-day basis. Ask yourself, is my puppy suffering? Is his quality of life poor? Am I prepared to cope with (and pay for) the considerable amount of effort, management and professional treatment my puppy will need in the coming weeks and months?

I hope some of that has helped. I look forward to seeing you in our User Group forum where others will undoubtedly give further responses.

Tony
Samantha is a nearly 18 years old bichon frise and was diagnosed with kidney failure on Oct 2.  She has good days and bad days.  Sam has been on daily IV fluids since Oct.  She takes zantac, vitamins, cranberry, denamarin and anti phosphorous medicine twice daily.  She has lost considerable weight and lately has become disinterested in food.  I am supplementing her little intake of food with nutrical.  That's the bad news.  The good side is that she sleeps through the night has never had an accident in the house and does not appear to be in any pain though I am not really sure.  Like others I want her to just go to sleep when its time though I know that probably won't happen.  I am not sure how much longer she can live with such little food intake.  I take her to the vet for bloods on Thursday.  What should I ask?
Hi. I see you have joined the User group, so I'll respond properly there rather than repeat the post. Tony
My 13 year old spaniel has been diagnosed with kidney failure.  The vet did the blood works, and I am not to sure which  blood work was which, but perhaps it will make sense to you: First one should be between 3-10 and hers was 49, the second should be between 30 and 120 and hers was 839.  She had a little to eat last night, but today  she does not want to eat at all, but she still drinks water.  She did vomit this morning as well.  She seems restless and cant settle down, walking up and down.  The vet gave her 1 litre of fluid yesterday over a period of 10 hours.  She also have medication, Cimetidine  and a white liquid (I do not have the name).  What else should I do to keep her comfortable ?
Hi. Sorry for not getting back earlier, but I have been away for a couple of weeks. First, the Cimetidine is an anti-nausea medication, which is excellent and should help your dog to eat more often. Your dog will need to stay on this (or another effective anti-nausea medication if this one starts to fail). The toxin build-up causes acid in the stomach, which in turn prevents kd dogs from eating.

Have a read of my article on kidney disease and diet. The link is:

Also, consider joining our User Group. Just type CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group in the MedHelp Search bar.

I'll wait for you to bring me up-to-date before I say anymore.

Tony
Our dog Bailey 5 years old is in acute kidney failure, took her to the vet 3 weeks tomorrow and they gave her 1 month.  She is slowing down every day, continues to eat soft canned dog food, no more hard crunchy biscuits or food.  She started having episodes where she collapses and rests for a few minutes and gets back up, but otherwise sleeps most of the day.  When she is up she stands there like she is confused. No energy.  Very tough time and difficult to except, she is so young.
Welcome to the forum--I'm sorry to hear about your baby....It's very unusual for such a young dog to be in Kidney failure without a cause.....Did they test her for anything? The top known causes are poisoning, Lepto, Kidney/Bladder Infection, Stones &/or tick diseases...Was she tested for any of these??? The collapsing sounds odd to me!!!

We're you offered any medications for your girl????? There are many things that will help!!

Please join our Kidney Failure Group>>Over to your right, Click the link to groups & it will come up...It's a wonderful group with a fabulous leader...You will find a world of knowledge over there......Good luck
Hi. I would ordinarily wait for you to come over to the User Group, but this sounds more urgent and not something that can be left waiting ... your dog needs IV Fluids as a first priority. Your vet needs to undertake this NOW. Unless your vet knows and has identified the extent of kidney damage, and believes there is no chance of recovery, then fluids are the only route to ridding the body of toxins and starting to stabilise the blood levels.

We can discuss diet and other important elements later on, but right now your dog needs the IV Fluids as an urgent treatment, otherwise she may not make it through this stage.

Tony
Hi, this is so really really hard for me to do this post as I am already grieving and Ellie has not passed away yet, BUT I know its going to happen within the next few days, Ellie is in final stage renal failure and there is nothing else my vets can do, her last blood results were off the scale so they admitted her (yet again) to flush out her kidneys just so we could bring her home and spend some quality time with her, she has been with me every single day of her 13 years and I cannot come to terms with the thought of not having her, she has been the most beautiful faithful dog I have ever had, at the moment she is sleeping which she does most of the time, I keep hoping for a miracle but I don't think that is going to happen, I know this sounds selfish but I can't stand the thought of having her put to sleep, I just want to keep her with me, please help me on how I am going to get over this.
Eskdale
Hi. Sadly, when kidney disease progresses to the end of its final stage, no amount of intervention can prevent its inevitable conclusion. There is lots that can be done earlier to prolong life and improve quality of life, but everything depends on catching it in stage 3 or earlier. Sometimes, it is possible to do some successful interventions early in stage 4, but it is an uphill struggle to control blood levels. The question is, how much of the kidneys are left to do any work at all. When kidney function falls below 25%, it is nigh impossible to improve things.

So, yes, IV fluids are the only remedy to seeing if any improvements can be made. If intensive IV fluids are not successful (even a small improvement is a positive thing), then other interventions won't work either.  And this leaves owners distraught, facing the dreadful decision about euthansia.

In the end, whether to do it and when to do it is entirely down to you. It IS hard and it is difficult and it does take a tremendous amount of courage to proceed. I can only suggest you look at your best friend and ask yourself whether leaving things as they are is the right thing for your dog. Your best friend will tell you if the right time has come.

I truly wish I could wave a magic wand and say things will get better, but I don't think they will or can do. My heart goes out to you. If you wish to, you might consider joining our User Group on MedHelp - the Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group. You will certainly get lots of information and empathic support there.

Kind regards

Tony
I'm going thru the same exact thing with my lil dog Maggie - when I think it's time she has a good day a wags her lil tail at us she seems happy , but the last few days she has seemed jumpy and seems as though she feels she falling - I'm so sorry for her - I just don't want to make the wrong decision to make her go too soon - but I also don't want to make her suffer - it's sooo hard - praying she will die peacefully in her sleep - what a blessing that would be
Hi. Do you know what stage Maggie's kidney disease has reached? Has the vet given you the blood level results? What are you currently feeding Maggie? Is or has she received IV Fluids? How long is it since diagnosis?

Tony
Hi everyone,

I was reading these posts and they all seem too familiar. I just had to put my 13 year old jack russell down yesterday morning. It is the toughest decision one can face and I keep asking myself if it was really her time to go. Peggie got diagnosed with CKF in April and it was already at an advanced stage. Thankfully, she was a fighter and with all the medication she kept eating (we would bring her something new every day.. she rarely ever ate the same thing twice!) There was a day in June/July where we thought it was her time but as soon as we got to the vet she showed us she was not ready to give up. She kept on eating and was still her little playful/happy self up until the last 3 final days. The vet told us we would know when it was time and if we didnt 2 things would tell us it was time:
1) if she stopped doing the 5 things she loved most 2) if she has consecutive bad days and her quality of life was gone. On Friday morning she ate really well but then didnt want to eat anything at night.. Saturday she didnt eat AT ALL and Sunday barely anything. I was hopeful she would wake up Monday morning with an appetite but I was wrong. When we woke up peggie was laying on the floor, barely moving. Her eyes were entirely white as well as her gums, she was completely anemic. The happiness in her eyes were no longer there and we could tell she was suffering and the disease was finally winning. We rushed her to the vet as 7 am and the vet told us she believe it was time as well. We kissed and held peggie till her last second and let her go peacefully reminding her of what a good girl she was to us for the past 13 years and thanking her for such wonderful and happy moments!
I am so sorry for your loss. Peggie was lucky to have you as parents, caring for her and loving her to the final seconds of her life - and beyond. Of course, it's often hard for us humans top accept that 12yrs is old for any dog - and I hope you find some comfort from the fact you gave her a safe and loving home, a rich and adventurous life and lots and lots of care and affection. You did your best for her - and in return, she gave you love and loyalty.

Run free Peggie.

Tony
I had my dog's teeth cleaned about 5 months ago.  They put her under anthesia (sp) . They said she had a strong heart or they would not have done it. Three months later she developed congestive heart failure and her kidneys began to shut down.  I put her down September 2, 2015.  I don't understand it. Is this just a result of having to put her under to have her teeth cleaned or what? Very confused considering she was in good health 5 months ago.  I don't know what to think??? Chloe was about 15 years old
Hi. First and foremost ... I am very sorry for your loss. Losing a best friend is one of the hardest things we humans have to endure. My condolences to you.

It's hard to say if something was missed or not, because it does depend what pre-screening tests were undertaken prior to the dental work and what the results of those tests were. Of course, there are added risks of anaesthesia with older dogs, which is why most vets advise more comprehensive pre-surgery testing.

There is also the fact that both kidney failure and congestive heart failure can start to occur at any age, but both are much more likely in an older dog. It may just be coincidence. The kidney failure might have begun earlier, although the dental work could have exacerbated it (due to bacteria flowing into the gut). My point is, the dental work wouldn't have prevented these illnesses progressing, once they had started to develop. It is unlikely the dental work caused them.

She was an elderly lady and you clearly gave her a wonderful and long life.

Run free Chloe.

Tony
Hello....as I read all these comments tears come rushing down my face....I am so sorry to all who have lost their best friend.  I have a little 7 1/2 year old Shorkie  girl...."Yorkie/ShihTzu" mix...her name is Izzy.....at age 6 1/2 we were told her kidneys were not good....and told to cut back on the protein...give her a low protein diet and medication for life......we have tried our best to keep the amount of protein she eats down...but sometimes would have to give her a little to get her to eat her food....she loves to eat and drinks water all the time.......for the last 3 months we have noticed her breath getting worse and really strong smelling....she was to the vet for her yearly checkup in August...and I had them check over her teeth and said nothing looked serious....and to clean her teeth with her condition could only cause her undue stress and more issues......

Wednesday Night....she ate as usual, was happy, drank lots of water....however through the night she had gotten up and had 2 runny stools in the house on her pee pads.

Thursday - she had another runny stool....was a little sick, would not eat or take her pill in her pill pocket.

Friday - She had no stool at all....and ate one meal....and ate her pill in her pill pocket....the only way she will eat her pill is in a pill pocket, so that is what we have resorted to giving her.  Water intake less....she doesn't want to really be around us much or picked up at all.

Saturday - she drank a little water.....and thru it up.....I managed to get her to eat some hamburger...and she took her pill in her pill pocket....I called the Vet and was told to watch her.....she did have one soft stool.....not much coming out when there isn't much coming in...

Sunday - it is just 10:30am....no water/poop/food yet....she is just laying down in behind a chair........

The vet told us when she was diagnosed that she was young for her age....just to keep her happy and give her lots of love.....she is spoiled rotten and my best buddy.......after reading your comments and symptoms.....it would appear that she is progressing along further and getting worse......I will take her to the Vet tomorrow and get them to do up the blood work to confirm this.....I do not want her to suffer, or have poor quality of life......another thing she does a lot more now is licking and sticking her tongue out a lot.......this is all so very sad........I honestly don't think after going through this I could ever own another dog as this is more than I can handle... :-(
Hi. I am sorry you and Izzy are going through this. I have lots of questions ...

What is the medication the vet prescribed?

Do you have the first set of blood results from diagnosis? If not, ask your vet to give them to you when you go tomorrow.

Post the new set of blood results in full as a scanned copy and attach to your profile, if you can, otherwise just type them out in a post. It would also be very useful to do the same with the results at the point of diagnosis, for comparison.

Has Izzy had any IV Fluids or SubQ fluids ... I'm guessing not ... this is definitely something she needs now, so mention it to your vet and be fairly insistent. It sounds like your vet isn't terribly proactive for kidney disease, and possibly he or she is one you need to instruct. The IV and/or subQ fluids will start removing some of the toxins from the digestive system - it's the toxin build-up that creates the bad breath (it's not coming from the mouth but from her stomach).

What are you feeding Izzy? Please give full details, including routine treats.

How often are you feeding Izzy?

Is Izzy on any kind of antacid or/and anti-nausea medication?

Has Izzy had her blood pressure checked? If not, get the vet to do this tomorrow.

Okay. Get back with answers when you can.

Tony
Hi all

This website brought plenty of my tears reading all your comments. I am going through the same pain of end stage kidney failure with my nearly 15years old Jack Russell Terrier. He was first diagnosed late August. He is such a happy dog who loves to eat, walk and follow me around everywhere I go. He has been on fluid therapy since he was diagnosed once a week but it is going down too fast this week. So I went twice this week so far. He is hardly eating, not sleeping well, throwing up more often, not going to toilet much, struggling to walk, have very bad breath with dry mouth etc. somehow, he is worse when he comes back from the vet last few weeks. Now I am considering to put him on painkillers to help him to sleep better but worried it might just make it worse. He just had a minor seizure last night shivering, shaking, twitching etc I know what you mean by "they will tell you with their eyes when they are ready to go". I have experienced that myself with my other cat who died of cancer two years ago. But my boy is still wanting to follow me around, wag his tail and tries to eat.
now, did you guys ever experienced your pet getting worse once going to vet for fluid therapy and other treatments for end stage of kidney failure? I just want him to be comfortable and happy. Please let me know your thoughts. I am desperate. :(
Hi. I would urge you to join the Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs user group here on MedHelp. If you use the search bar at the top it will take you to it. Once there, sign up to become a member. I administrate this group, which has over 100 owners all that have or have had a dog with CKD. They are very friendly, supportive and informative. Tony
Hi everyone, I am so glad this forum exists. My love to all who are currently going through this, and to those who have lost their best friends. We lost our sweet Fox Terrier of 11 years yesterday to kidney failure. It all happened so quickly... In the beginning we thought it may have been pancreatitis, but when blood work and other scans were done there were indications of kidney disease/failure (which brought on the pancreatitis) We had our sweet boy in hospital on ivs and medication for 3 days and brought him home where we continued him on medication (Pain killers, Antacid, Anti-nausea, and an Appetite stimulant) At first he was eating and drinking and would have spurts of energy where he wanted to play and be outdoors. He had good and bad days, but mostly bad days... and then he became more lethargic and weak, and you could see the deterioration throughout the week. The toxins were building up. He started to have episodes where he would shiver, tremble, jolt and get up every two hours to walk around because he was so uncomfortable and most likely in pain from the toxins building up. His breath also smelled of ammonia. From there he stopped eating and drinking completely, and we could only give him water through a syringe. Even then he would make little noises when given water because of the pain. It came to the point where he began collapsing and eventually did not have the energy to leave his bed he was so sick and weak. He cried and made noise when he repositioned himself or you touched him/tried to pick him up. We both stared into each others eyes, and he told me it was his time to go. Putting him to rest was the hardest decision of our lives, we had never euthanized any of our pets before. Do what you can in the meantime to make them comfortable, but they will let you know when they are ready to go... My heart goes out to all of you. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Our sweethearts are running wild and free now.  
So sorry for your loss. Yes, this is a dreadful disease and one some of us battle with every single day. I hope you find peace and reassurance knowing you did all you could in the short time you had available. Tony
I am glad to have found this site. I am currently facing this kidney failure disease with my 18 year old border collie Callie. She had been diagnosed with this back in February this year and was doing ok until a few weeks ago but quickly got worse. She did not want to eat so, I started feeding her with a syringe. She then did not want to drink so, I water through the syringe. She started having very bad breath, throwing up this white mucus. She then only wanted to lay down and sleep. My husband and I would pick her up and try to get her to stand but it was like her back legs did not want to work. It was yesterday that we got scared and took her to the animal hospital. It is a top of the line facility, looks better than a people hospital.  After taking the blood tests and checking her, they said her levels were off the chart unreadable. I chose to have them try all they could with iv fluids, antibiotics, they rotate her every hour and all kinds of things.. We went back today to see if any improvement and she looked worse than when we took her in. She could now not even lift her head and such a sad look in her eyes. I don't know if that was the look or not everyone is talking about. I just cried. I decided to give it one more day of treatment, I am not sure I made any right decision. My Mom is totally against putting her to sleep, husband is for it as he has put two to sleep of his before we were married. I am praying to God to not make that decision. I came home tonight to my German Shepherd Sampson to find he had not eaten anything all day, I think he knows all about Callie and misses her already. This pain is so hard and I just realized that my Callie May never come home again.  
If you haven't already joined the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group, please do (just search it in the top menu). Even if the info and support there can't help Callie, there is info there that may help you recognise the disease starting long before it advances too far in your own dog or dogs you may have in the future. The earliest we can diagnose kidney failure, the better are the chances of postponing its deterioration. Tony
I just want to thank you for your efforts & wonderful info on this blog.  It really helped make our decision to end our 11.9 year old black lab's suffering from End Stage Renal Failure.  We put her down today, but I'm so relieved to know she is no longer suffering or in pain...loving her as much as we did - we couldn't prolong her life for selfish reasons.  We learned so much from your information regarding ESRF....we didn't know how much she had been suffering .... Damn disease! Again, thank you so very much for your posts, encouragement & info ..... Truly appreciated...
Hello. Yes, this is a horrible disease. I am so sorry for your loss. I think you did the right thing at the right time, even though it was probably the hardest decision you have ever made.

Run free old girl.

Tony
Your story has moved me to an unending river of TEARS! I'm so very, deeply sorry the loss of your good girl Kate. I have been through too many experiences w
similar to the one you've shared above. Thank you for your bravery. Kate misses you very much, but she's romping and playing with her pals at Rainbow Bridge! It's been nearly 4 years now since Kate's passing. I hope that you are in some stage of the healing process. :)
I believe that the time that you described "was time". I didn't Scroll down to see if you added more entrees. If so, ignore this post.
My note is not exactly the answer , it's more a question related to the topic and would be grateful to know your ideas:
I just lost my beloved Shannie at his 9.9 years on Dec. 16th ,2015 from kidney failure and cannot forget his beautiful eyes and last days. I did my best but still feel guilty for not being able to save him. We did IV and all the medications but it didn't work.
He was healthy and happy all the time, didn't have a surgery or anything toxic, the only thing was that last year he had dry food for 4 month , he had water around all the time but since he was alone I'm not sure if he was willing to drink enough ... Anyway I wonder if that was the reason for his kidney problem and if yes, is it going to show the signs over a year after?

Thanks,
Dry food is not the best for any dog and it can in fact create and exacerbate canine kidney failure. That said, it takes years not months for dry food to have an effect on a dog's kidneys through chronic dehydration, so it definitely wasn't the cause of it. Sadly, 1 in 10 dogs die of kidney failure and 1 in 3 over the age of 12 yrs. A primary cause is chronic poor dental hygiene, but there are also many other causes too. In some cases, the kidneys are malformed at birth or develop problems over the years, but symptoms rarely show until a great deal of damage has occurred. Quite often, while management (including IV or SubQ fluids) may help prolong life, all dogs with the condition succumb and death is inevitable. I am so sorry for your loss. Tony
I see these posts are all old and am not sure you still monitor... but IF you do, I have a couple questions.  My Coton de Tulear started becoming lethargic and not eating two or three weeks ago.  His breath has been bad for a few months, but I thought it was due to the tarter on his teeth.  He is 8 years old and usually very playful.  When these things occurred quite suddenly I had a "Mom's intuition" and took him to the Vet.  The Vet was concerned and did a full blood workup and said it was "very bad", he was in "full kidney failure" and has given him 7-10 days to live.  So I'm assuming Teddy is in the 'final stages'.  Does anyone know what the next week will bring?  What can I expect?  I found out this morning and the pain is unbearable, he sleeps most all day and night, but WILL still wag his tail and eat chicken, bacon and all the other things he wants (I figure let him go out with a happy belly).  Will he start vomiting, have seizures, etc?  I've read some horrible "endings" and if that's what's ahead, I want to weigh my options of what I put him through vs. how much quality life he has left.
Please join the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group today here on MedHelp - then re-post your question for full support and info. Thank you. Tony
I cant figure out how to join. My boxer is just turned 4 in Nov. I found out 2 weeks ago she is in end stage kidney failure. I am devastated. I took her to vet in May because she was drinking and peeing excessively and had begun wetting in her sleep. They didnt do any test. They told me it was because she had been spayed at 6 months. They are the ones who spayed her and told me it was time. They put her on Proin. She stopped peeing in her sleep, but in Sept. began to lose weight and throw up. They told me to crush the proin and change to a no grain food. It worked and she stopped throwing up. But she continued to lose weight. I took her back 2 weeks ago and was told she has kidney failure. Her bun was 202 and creatinine 8.6. They sent me home telling me she would die in a couple months. I went for a second opinion. They looked at the numbers from my old vet and said she also had pancreatitus. They kept her 3 days on IV fluids and sent her home with s/c fluids, meds, and special diet. We went back last Tuesday for blood test. She has only gotten worse and new vet said I will have to put her down this coming week. I look at her and cry. She looks so sad and she wants help. She had lost 25 to 30 pounds and this is the most awful thing I have dealt with. She is eating but only about a half a can a day now for last 3 days. I am so mad that the vet I had been using never ran any test on her till it was too late. I keep thinking if they had checked her blood or urine in May we may have caught it early enough to prolong her life. I cant figure out how to tell when it is time to end her suffering. She is only 4 and she keeps trying. She gets up about 3 times a day to drink and potty. She is wetting herself at night. I get up and check her at least twice and change her bedding. She is week but like I said she gets up 3 times a day, drinks, potties, and today was a good day, she ate alittle twice. I hate thinking if putting her down but I hate the idea of her suffering. She has never been a vocal dog and still isnt. I dont know if she is in pain. How can I tell?
Sorry you're having such a hard time getting to the kidney
forum...YOU CAN COPY AND PASTE YOUR POST...

If you look to the right you will see a box with "RELATED
FORUMS" click on the "GROUPS" and this should open
right up to "CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS"
Click on that forum and re-post( paste your prior post)
in here. Tony does live in England so there's a bit of a
time difference but he will check this forum and see your
post there for Sadie... I am sure Tony or others there
can offer help as well as information you need.
I AM SO VERY SORRY your girl is going through this
PLEASE DO NOT let her cross over until you talk with
Tony.

Jan
I really have no clue I just wanted to say that I am so sorry about your dog.
Hi. The problem here is I can't tell just how bad things are without a copy of the blood test results, a blood pressure check,  urinalysis (for specific gravity and protein leakage) and a reason why Proin is still being given (assuming it is). It's worth noting that Proin should never be given without the dog having a blood pressure check, so I hope this was done at the start of this treatment. There are more natural remedies for incontinence, which I personally prefer.

And talking about blood pressure, this is something that needs doing, as high blood pressure is common in kd dogs and simply makes things a whole lot worse.

The priority here is to get the blood numbers down, if possible, and that means IV Fluid Therapy using Lactated Ringers fluid. This is the only chance I believe you and your vet have of making a difference, but it is not guaranteed to work (if the kidneys are too damaged, for example). The fluid therapy needs to be intensive and treatment will involve veterinary care for several days. The blood should be tested at Day 3 to see if any change has occurred.

Sometimes, things can deteriorate very quickly. It is then when euthanasia may be considered appropriate. "When is the right time?" is a hard question. Your dog will tell you (sounds crazy, but believe me it isn't). She will give you a glance that says, I've had enough, it's time to go. It's the hardest thing to witness, but it does happen.

I'm intrigued about what your vet has said about the kidney failure. Have they said it is ACUTE or CHRONIC. Acute forms of kidney failure can be due to several things, including genetics, access to poisons, anti-freeze, human medicines, etc. If caught early enough (and it's not a congenital problem), the disease can often be treated.

Chronic renal failure occurs slowly over months and even years and tend to affect older dogs. An acute form of renal failure can develop into chronic renal failure if it isn't effectively treated at the outset. Poor dental hygiene and poor quality foods and treats contribute to kidney disease - as indeed do some manufactured pet foods (particularly dry kibbles).

Hope this helps.

Tony
My vet who put her on Proin did no test what so ever when putting her on Proin. No blood test, no urine test, no blood pressure check. Nothing. She was drinking excessively and peeing excessively at that time and had begun wetting herself whenever she was asleep. I was told her incontinence was due to being spayed. They did not moniter her after the Proin. When we took her for the second opinion she did the urine test. I was told there was no urine in her urine. She did the 3 days of IV fluids with her numbers only rising. I was told she has chronic kidney failure. After she was diaganosed  I read up on it. She has had signs for months. She has begun to flinch when ever I touch her, but she doesnt cry..never has. She is not a vocal dog. No barking or whining. But I think she is in pain. I have not been given any kind of pain meds for her. I have been told this is not a painful way to die. But she looks like she is starving to death. She has eaten at most 6 ounces a day for last 5 days.
Hi. Okay. 3 days fluids is not enough. She needs more over a longer period, at least a week - followed up by Sub Q fluids you can give at home. If she is still on Proin, ask your vet about stopping it. This drug is indeed given for spay incontinence, which is common, but it should not be started and then ignored - it needs assessing a) whether it is working; and b) whether it is needed.

We could talk about the foods you are trying, but right now I think that is pointless. The important thing here is fluids and while the vet is giving IV Fluids, they can also give nourishment at the same time.

Next, your vet needs to prescribe Mirtzapine for your dog. This is excellent at lifting any depression and anxiety, and also treating the nausea and inappetence associated with the kidney disease and toxin production. Once started, this drug can help improve eating very quickly.

Blood pressure check remains a critical thing to get done.

High quality meats and poultry are important with any dog that has kidney disease (high quality means meats and poultry you would buy to eat yourself, not any designed as pet food). In addition, small amounts at regular intervals (rather than one or two large meals) help reduce stress on the kidneys. Fatty meats like lamb, beef and pork are good, as long as there's no pancreatitis. Stop all other foods and treats for the time being. The alternative is to use a kd manufactured canned diet, such as Hills kd, and drizzle a small amount of organic honey (just a teaspoon) or pure cocnut oil over the top to encourage eating. If you can get your hands on some frozen green tripe at a good pet store, this is also a food many kd dogs will eat even when they turn their noses up at other things.

Enough to be getting on with there ... let me know how you get on.

Tony
Hello, I came across this board and would love some insight! I have a 13 year old dog who was diagnosed with CRF on February 2, 2016. The lab test showed Creatinine of 6 and Urea of 271 mg/dL. She was put on Cerenia for nausea, tramadol for pain, sub-q fluids (she weighs 12 pounds, we are giving her 250 ml daily), and kidney friendly food, which she refused. The only thing I got her to eat was cooked chicken breast. As of 2-10-16 she has refused all food (was eating very very little before that). She had her blood tested again on February 10, 2016, Creatinine had dropped from 6 to 3.5, but Urea increased from 271 to 279. She is currently at the vet getting IV fluid therapy, and we will find out today what her new numbers are. I wonder if it's worth trying to keep her alive, am I just prolonging her suffering? She had a fever as well, I am not sure if that can be due to CRF? She is not having a good quality of life, not eating, not active (only gets up to lay in a new spot or to urinate). I love her sooo much that I don't want her to suffer, and want to do what is right. Any suggestions for me? She is not throwing up (which may be due to taking Omeprazol and Cerenia), has not had stool since February 5, 2016. Thank you!
Hi. The creatinine alone does not diagnose kidney disease, although the urea being so high makes it likely. It would be useful to undertake an SDMA test, if your vet has access to it. It's also necessary to undertake a blood pressure check and acquire blood results for potassium, calcium and phosphorus. A urinalysis is needed to trest for specific gravity, protein leakage and any UTi's.

I would suggest stopping the tramadol. This will almost certainly make the kidney disease worse.

Instead of Cerenia ... ask your vet to consider Mirtzapine instead, as this has several benefits including to promote eating.

You mention she has a fever - and I suspect this is either due to a UTi (which will need treating AFTER a urine culture and sensitivity test has been undertaken) or it could be pancreatitis, depending on other blood results.

IV fluid therapy is good ... be aware dogs can deteriorate slightly in the first few days of getting this, but then often improve over several days - once the IV fluid course is finished, make sure you get your vet to teach you how to perform SubQ Fluids at home, which should then continue for at least another couple of weeks. Lactated Ringers are the best fluid, usually, and your vet can add minerals and/or electrolytes and/or medicines to the fluid, the demand for which will be assessed from blood results.

The vet can give additional nourishment through the IV fluids, which I hope they are doing.

Try not to worry too much, but also chase up the things I have mentioned with your vet.

Also, consider joining our User Group here on MedHelp - it's the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group. Perform a search (top of screen) and become a member. You will be joining others with dogs in similar circumstances - it's an area where everyone learns from each other, and is very supportive.

Tony
Hi Tony! Thank you so much for the response.

The draw today we saw another drop (creatinine from 3.5 to 3.1) and Urea from 279 dropped to 178. This was after being on the IV for 24 hours. She is still on the IV but now at home. We are to get in 500 ml over a 24 hour period (she was given a diuretic by the vet as well).

She is currently on day 10 of a 28 day course of doxycycline for a tick disease. If she has a UTI, would this antibiotic also serve to treat that as well? The fever started yesterday, so on day 9 of antibiotics.

I did mention the Mirtzapine but they are not familiar with it. Is this something I should push? The Cerenia I was told to stop after 5 days, since she is not vomiting. Should I continue even though she is not vomiting?

The sub-q fluids we were doing already on a daily basis, but now we are doing IV fluid therapy (with ringers) at home (under the veterinarians guidance). She has the access port in for the IV. What additional nourishment can be done through the IV? I will need to ask about this.  

There is a lot to take in, I am learning a lot by researching. Unfortunately, I am not in the US, where I think medicine (both human and veterinary) is better, but we are doing our best!  

Let me ask you candidly, with those numbers having decreased, does she have a chance at being better, so to speak, or are we just prolonging her suffering? I know it's hard to give an answer, but from your experience have pretty sick dogs had a good turnaround?  

I appreciate your response!!! I will join the group, Thank you! Michela
Hi. I'm not sure what the vet's reason is for giving a diuretic? It's worth asking.

Yes, dogs can stabilize from these numbers. I would certainly say it's worth continuing. The results from fluid therapy are very positive. It may take several weeks to bring the numbers down enough and there may be a deterioration along the way, but keep with it.

Doxycycline is not safe for dogs with pre-existing kidney disease. What tick disease does your dog have? Is it Lymes Disease? If so, the kidney problems could potentially be a direct result of it, depending on which came first. Unfortunately, Doxycycline is the best remedy for the Lyme's, but it also damages the kidneys. The antibiotic may not solve any other infection existing, but it is more important to get the Lyme's sorted out first.

Yes, stop the Cerenia if vomiting has stopped.

Hopefully, the vet will read up on Mirtzapine and will prescribe it later on.

Nourishment via the IV line will depend on what your vet has access to and on the most recent blood results. Follow your vet's advice on this, but make sure nourishment is being given, assuming your dog isn't eating as they should. If they are eating okay, then IV nourishment shouldn't be necessary.

Tony
Going through same
Anyone with dogs suffering from Chronic Kidney Failure please join our special user group here on MedHelp. It's a great source of information and support (I'm the Administrator and will see posts there more often than on the general forums). Use the MedHelp Search Bar and enter CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User group. Join the Group and start posting.

Tony
This morning I lost my Princess and am devastated.  She was so strong for so long the vet didn't know how she was still walking. We were so connected. This whole in my heart is huge and my apt so empty... I can't stop the tears.....
So sorry for your loss. I know it's heartbreaking, but be strong. It may take weeks, even months, but eventually you will start remembering happier times that you have shared with your best friend.

Tony
I am sorry for you as well.  My sweet Yorkie, Sophie died yesterday and all day today has been heartbreaking.  She had acute pancreatitis as well as kidney failure.  For over three weeks she continued to decline and eat less and less.  All she wanted to do was sleep.  She would look up at me and I could see the depression in her eyes.  After a week at our vet's hospital we brought her home. I tried everything to save her, medicines and even IV treatments at home.  Her creatine level was originally 4.6 and our vet was able to get it down to 2.8. Finally she looked like she was having a seizure and I took her back to the vet.  Having to let her go was one of the most difficult decisions I've even had to do.  I kept having trouble signing the consent form.  I finally realized that she was suffering.  I held her in my arms and kept telling her I loved her.  She was our rambunctious playful little girl and loved us unconditionally for 10 years.  For something so tiny she sure did leave a huge gaping hold in my heart.  
I am so sorry for your loss. Run free Sophie.