Enema & Side Effects
Hi my dog got an enema mid-day this past Thurs. Ever since then, he keeps "leaking" poop. There's no blood, just soft poop. He's not trying to poop, he could just be sitting around, and next thing you know he jumps up and we check, and he has poop on his butt. It's now a little over 48 hours since the enema.

Is this a normal side effect? Should I take him to the vet?

I assume the enema was either done by a vet or on the advice of one?  If so, put in a call to the vet and ask your question.  In the meantime, try feeding him some plain white rice.  That's usually a good food for tightening things up in the intestines.
Yes, the vet just called back, and she said it was normal, that since he was backed up he probably had extra fluid he was getting rid of. And yes, the enema was given by the vet.

Thanks for the advice on the rice, I'm going to try that.
Oh good!  That's great you have a vet who takes calls on weekends.  Glad to hear everything seems to be OK.  :-)
He hasn't gotten better nor do I think he is worse, but I'm concerned so I'm taking him to the ER at his vet today.
Hope it all works out all right, and hope you post back with what the ER vets have to say.  Since elimination problems can be pretty common complaints, whatever you find out would probably help a lot of readers here.  :-)

Well the ER doctor said it was normal. We did x-rays and said that he had gas and fluid in his colon, his stomach looked empty. Basically she said, it was normal due to the enema. That it probably irrated his colon and it was reacting. She said if it doesn't pass in 1-2 more days to go back to the vet. She said to feed him boiled chicken and rice, that the rice (thanks Jaybay, for that tip) would help him stock up and build up normal bile. So, he ate today, and his stoll (still leaking though) is getting a wee bit firmer.

So, that's it for now.
tmv
Poor fellow, went from one extreme to the other. Have to watch, though you said the x-ray was ok, that when they leak often they are constipated and it is the fluid around the stool coming out. Hope he does better real soon.
He got all better yesterday!!

I was so worried (wee bit over protective here), I called his vet and she said to come in, they did blood work (had to do it this week anyway) and all was clear. She said that he was probably irrated from the enema (colitis) and had inflammation. She said to give him metamucil, and  I was skeptical because it's a laxative and she said it sounded weird, but that the fiber would help build his stool to a consitency.

So, I gave him a teaspoon yesterday with his food around 4PM and at 9:30 we went for a walk and he went. Granted the first part was kinda loose and a lot, then he produced a formed stool (sorry...gross  I know). After that he stopped leaking. He's still on chicken and rice today with the fiber (half a teaspoon) because i think he still might be sensitive and tomorrow  I will transition him to Hill's r/d as that is what the recommended.

So that's it...metamucil was the trick for him.
Great news!  I'm so glad he's back on track again.  

Metamucil (and other fiber preparations) work on dogs just like they do on people.  When added slowly (and I mean really slowly!) to the diet, it can help correct either diarrhea or constipation.  

Thanks for being such a conscientious pet owner.  :-)  
Thank you so much for your updates about your dog. This is great info for me. I am a big worrier so I know what to expect and what normal and what's not