Dogs Community
English Mastiff with leg and possible hip problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Anyone treated a large breed with hip and leg problems with alternatives other than surgery?  I was told he possible has a torn cruciate ligament in the right hind leg and may also be developing hip problems as well.  I have not had x-rays done because no vets where I live have an x-ray machine that will work for him. That's what they say anyway. Last vet I tried said he thinks he has both problems, hips and the leg.  I'm looking for other ways to help him for 2 reasons. One, surgery for the TCL is close to $4000 and Dr. says he will most likely need other leg done at a later date. (this was the diagnosis I got from the specialist even though they did not take x-rays) They said they would knock him out on scheduled surgery date and xray before surgery, then if it was the TCL, then they would do the surgery while he was already knoced out. Also, I'm afraid to have the surgery done and try to take care of an incapacitated 200lb dog. Spending $4000 to $12000 for surgery for him is really not an option.  Looking for other possible options. I have aleady had him treated for OCD in the front shoulder with adequan (spelling?) shots and that fixed the problems and ended up being a miracle and only about $1000.

I'm not an expert but have big dogs myself.

How old is your mastiff?  Except for the TCL is he in good health?  Is there any way you can get him to a facility that has an X ray that can accommodate him?

Surgery is usually what vets want to do in these "cases" and everything is expensive.  Also, don't know about you but I don't like to see my pets anesthetized if they don't have to be.  IMHO it's too hard on their systems and its a risk I don't want to take if I don't have to.  Cruciate surgery might work but I've seen dogs "undo" all that work even if they are wearing an e-collar.

Our 12 yr old Akita has mild to moderate arthritis and she had the Adequan injections to lower the amount of Medacam she was taking.  She also takes Eubavet (she loves the taste) and some other pill which, of course, I can't remember the name of.   She also eats j/d (joint diet) along with her other food.  Do you think any of that would help your mastiff?

If you have the time, you could try contacting some animal shelters, humane societies, the SPCA, etc, to see what they recommend.   Most of the money you have to spend for your boy usually goes into the vet's bank account.  I know .... I've been there.

I hope you can get your boy looked after without invasive surgery.

I don't think I can add much, but as a fellow large breed dog owner, its a constant worry.  Everything is expensive on a dog that size!  

I don't know if your dog is taking glucosamine/chondroitin or not, (I'm assuming so), but if not, it would be worth a 3-6 month trial.

You could also try asking Dr. Cheng on the Ask a Vet forum for her ideas and perhaps some nontraditional herbal remedies, or acupuncture that might help.  It may take her several days to get back to you, though.  But she will.  
My mastiff Buster is only 4 years old.  I have put him on a diet because I've been told he is too fat. I know he has lost because you can feel the ribs easier now. Also, I have used the glucosamine/chondroitin and even injected it at one point as suggested by one of the 3 vets I've seen in town. I do need to get him back on that. I called to get more and they haven't gotten back to me.

Lonewolf; I appreciate your attitude about the surgery. It is hard to commit to something like that especially when there are no guarantees and financially it is just insane.  Really wish I had the pet insurance right about now but I honestly still don't know if I would opt for the surgery.  I have wondered myself if the Adequan could help what he is going through now? It sure helped the OCD.  

Thanks to both of you for responding.
Just a thought - Buster only needs to have his leg X rayed, right?  Until then you won't know if he needs surgery or not - it might not be a cruciate problem.  If it is a cruciate problem and he puts his weight on his other foot eventually that leg could go too.  But without an X ray you can't really tell.   Only Buster's right leg would have to be X rayed.  His leg "should" fit the X ray machine.  Is the problem that he is a large breed?  I saw his picture and he IS a big CUTE dog.

Try the SPCA or other shelters to see if they recommend something affordable and hopefully non-surgical.

Buster must drool at lot .... that's alright, so does our Akita  = )

My English Mastiff has been crying occasionally and yelping several times a day, seems nervous and will not willingly jump up on the couch or go for walks. No obvious pains or swelling in hips or legs, is eating and drinking well. His lack of interest on going out is totally out of character. The only thing I can think of he was spooked when there were duck hunters nearby and heard the gunshots and was very nervous after that. Any thoughts?
Thank you,Sue