Dogs Community
Euthanasia

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Euthanasia

Had to put my beloved dog to sleep. Grieving for her loss. Should I get another fog right away?
I am so sorry for your loss.  I also had to put my 17yr old dog I had for 15 years to sleep on 3 February 2010.  I was absolutely devastated and cried for days.  I knew I would not be happy unless I got another dog.

I waited about a month and adopted a same breed, 2-yr old male from a rescue group.  It was the same way I aquired my last dog. I purposely adopted one with different ears, cropped vs. natural, and slightly different color to avoid mental comparisons.  It turns out their personalities were much different too!

It really comes down to when you are ready.  Your heart and mind has to be open and willing to let this new love into your heart and home.  Especially with a rescue dog!  I still get teary over Jake...thinking back to last Christmas and some of the last pictures I took of him with some silly Christmas lights I wrapped around him..he was so mad he wouldn't even move!

I found much comfort from this website in their Candlelight ceremony http://www.petloss.com/

May you find some peace.........
I too, am so sorry for your loss....I hope you got some answers from your Vet.....Was the Kidney Failure due to poisoning or do you know? Your little one was sure young to already have Kidney Disease......Do you know what happened?

I know your devastated and it's awful! Let yourself have time to grieve before making a decision about another pet...

There are many dogs waiting for homes in Rescues.....When your ready to look, go to Petfinders.com.....It is nation wide ......Maybe one will grab your heart!  

Take care of yourself & I hope time will heal your pain.....Sincerely, Karla
I too am so sorry for your loss.  Losing a pet is so hard and only pet lovers know to what extent.  I think everyone reacts differently about whether to get a new addition or not... personally I did.  I lost a 7 yr old bernese, and got a new puppy bernese within 2 weeks.... sadly he died too at 16 weeks old, we were left utterly devastated...having lost 2 in a matter of months.  We grieved so much but waited a little longer this time before we got our present bernese.
You will know yourself when the time is right, there isnt a right or wrong way.
Keep strong and allow yourself your tears.  
let us know how you are :)
Denise x
Everyone deals with the loss of a loved one, and the grief, in a different way. For some it's best to get another one to love straight away, and for others, they need time to grieve, and to adjust. It's just knowing which you are, and what is best for you.
For me I take grief head-on, and can't think of replacing a lost loved one straight away. It took me a couple of years before another dog came to me. I thought I'd wait on serendipity, rather than force something to happen. Serendipity worked like magic. The best. I have the most great, wonderful dog as a result!

I am really sorry your beloved dog had to be put to sleep. It's so difficult, I know.