Dogs Community
Extended penis

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Extended penis

My Chi has had this problem for about 6 months.  I took him to the vet and she showed me how to get the penis back into the shaft, this would work for a while and then only to happen again in a few days.  I took him to the vet a second time, with repeated results,but now I can no longer get it to stay in the shaft.  Note: It will retract on it own from time to time. And the dog acts normal in every way and people tell me I worry to much.
Has he been neutered?
I would definitely have his prostate gland checked by the vet. If there is any swelling going on there, this could contribute to the constant erections.
Also, has he had any injuries before to his spine in any way? Very rarely, if there is any nerve damage, that can cause this.

If he seems fit and well, then that is a good sign. But do speak to your vet about this. I think you are right to take it seriously. That doesn't mean you have to worry, but follow up on this, and get the vet to check him out.