Dogs Community
Eyelid turned inside out?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Eyelid turned inside out?

I noticed about a week ago my 12 yr old cocker spaniels right upper eyelid looks as though its turned inside out with a slight bulge....this was an immediate thing, not formed over weeks or months...its the same color as I would assume the inner lid would look...whiteish/pink and you can see the delicate blood vessels in it. I thought at first maybe he had rubbed it and flipped it up or something...but it has not gone back to normal...and the size is increasing. I cannot tell if his eye closes completely when he sleeps as he always sleeps on that side. He doesn't seem to be in pain and the eye isn't looking as though its drying out but it concerns me as it is getting slightly bigger.

I am not in the best financial position right now. I will take him to the vet if necessary but it would be a serious hardship right now. Is there anything I can try at home? I do end up in the vets office quite often as I have 4 dogs and a cat...so I have things like Tobramycin opth and oral antibiotics and numerous other things I can't think of right off the top of my head.

So far I have done nothing but monitor it because its a delicate area and I don't want to make it worse. I have goggled til the cows came home but was not able to find anything that fit the description either.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ZB
Google "Protrusion of Third Eye Lid" or "Cherry Eye" and see if either of these apply.....
This has me stumped and I did some looking around, Cockers can have many eye problems but it does not really fit Cherry Eye or any of the other possibilities I looked up, esp since it is the upper lid and the age of the dog.
Perhaps it is some kind of infection?  Something going on in the inner eye like BP problems?  Possibly a tumor?
I would hesitate putting anything on it yourself and think you really need an evaluation done by a Vet or canine opthomologist.
I checked protrusion of the third lid and cherry eye...they don't seem to fit because it is his upper eye lid...right in the middle

I saw a few pics of third eyelid protrusions and they are red and angry looking and come from the corner of the eye...his is not at all red...its more white/lvery light pink like normal delicate skin

I almost wonder if he didn't get something in his eye but it seems if it was that it would bother him more and be irritated looking.

Thanks for your comments so far I look forward to more ideas!

ZB

PS first time using this forum so I hop my reply ends up where it should...if not my apologies in advance.
Not many more ideas here unless maybe something in it; something bit him but it really doesn't sound like it from what you are describing.
I hope you are able to get him to get that checked before he loses his vision.
I'd still be worried about a possible tumor or something going on.  And, again, I hope I'm wrong.
Please keep us posted.  
OK~~~~~ How about "Distichiasis"?   Cockers appear to be at the top of the list for this disorder....See if that fits?  Karla
I thought maybe that might be it too as Cockers can definitely have that problem but it usually causes irritation on the cornea and, I would think at this dog's age, it would have presented long before now.  Well, maybe??
Sorry to say...no...checked that as well.

I am going to try flushing it a few times and some antibiotic salve...if that doesn't help I think we are off to the vet and going to eat beans and cornbread for a month lol

thanks you for your attempted help you both seem as though you put quite a bit of time and thought into this for me....it is very much appreciated!
Hope you've possibly gone to the Vet and had this checked.
Was looking to see if there is an update. I would like to know if this gets diagnosed and what it is.
thanks
I'm NOT done ,yet....Try this: Go to "Organic Pet Digest"....ON the opening page (Left hand side), there will be a list.....Choose "Online Vet Library".

Then a number of disorders will come up...Scroll down till you see, "Dog Eye Problems".

There will be a list to go through (with pictures) and what the Vet suggests that the problem is and what to do about each disorder.......

See what you think.......Karla
Sorry so long getting back to you...I am a bit frustrated...took him to the vet and they said they didn't know what it was they would have to take it off and biopsy it...and they wanted 820.00 to do so. So bottom line it cost me 45.00 and I still have no clue and I sure don't have that kind of money right now, there is only one of us working and we are just scraping by. Like I said it doesn't really seem to bother him but sometimes when dogs are in pain you don't know. Think we are going to take him to a different vet and see what they say. I have been asking around for suggestions and not getting too many and none for the same doctor. We have only been in the area a few years so not well associated with to many people or vets yet.

Thanks misfit I checked and looked at all the gross pics even...but did not find it there.

If I ever get it sorted out I will let you guys know what it was. Thanks again for your efforts and time!
Glad you took the time to update us. Too bad the news isn't better.  No canine opthomologist in your area?  What area are  you in?  
Hoping this can get sorted out and the dog will do okay until this can get resolved.
Final update...had the mass surgically removed. Doctor was surprised when he went after it...said there was very little blood...meaning it wasn't a tumor being fed by blood vessels. He knew we were in tights financially...so he said we really didn't need to pay the 100.00 to have it biopsied as it was likely just a cyst and the age of the dog meant even if it was cancer there wasn't a lot to be done for it. Also took less time than expected so he shaved a bit off that for us as well. Still a 600.00 bill...but we survived as we always do lol. Have to keep our babies healthy. Drops for a week and and that was it and he is fine as frog hair.

Thanks all for your concern and attempts at help. I hope you and your furbabies are all happy and healthy.
Thanks for the update!!!  The problem with your dog's eye has crossed my mind a few times and I wondered whatever happened.  Glad you finally got that taken care of and hope that is the end of that.
Oh yeah, I can sympathize with a $600 vet bill or more!!!  
Great news & thank you for the update...I've been wondering about you, too..

I can also sympathize with your bill....One of mine had a knee replacement surgery this morning.....I have Not received the bill as of yet....I'm hoping to enjoy the day before they hit me with it tomorrow....Can you say, OUCH? ;)

Glad your guy is better & I hope your doing well, too....Take care & check in when you can...Or~~~stick around & stay........Karla
Ouch yes your bill is going to be a good one thats for sure. We are used to bigger vet bills trust me lol ..its just this time they came at a time when we were strapped but then isn't that the way it always works...the car breaks down or the a/c goes out when you can least afford it lol.

We have had to have an eye removed from my other elderly lady...it literally popped...she was in such pain after the surgery...sometimes its tough to tell when a dog is in pain but she could not rest for more than a few minutes at a time. Then the surgery exasperated a slight heart murmur and we lost her less than a year later. She was 14. So she wracked up some serious bills within a years time.

One of our younger ladies thought she was a hoover vacuum instead of a doberman puppy. So she had to have emergency surgery when she got the head of a toy stuck in her stomach where the stomach empties into the intestines. That one was real touch and go for awhile but she made it and we survived that bill too ;)...she to this day.. and she is 3-ish now.. will hoover the carpet...eating little pieces of lint or paper or anything she finds. She has taught me to be a better housekeeper ;)

Anyway...bottom line...I have 4 so we always have something going on :)

Thank you for your concern and all your help.