Dogs Community
Female dog with bad odor

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Female dog with bad odor

We have a 3 year old yellow lab who is a sweetheart. About once a month, she developes an obnoxious odor coming from her vaginal/urinary area. It reeks so bad no one wants to be near her and every room smells wherever she has been. I describe it as an almost chemical/metallic odor but I've never smelled anything like it before with any other dog I've owned. Our vet said he felt it was because she has an "inverted vulva" but I am not sure I agree with him that that is what the odor is from. Please - any help???
Here is a great article I found on this topic.  Maybe it will help you and your pup.  :-)

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/puppyvaginitis.html
Did the vet check her anal glands? I know those can make a dog stinky!!
Thanks for your advice and comments.I am leaning more toward the vaginitis. It isn't her anal glands - I've been down that road before with another lab who had impacted glands.
wow, I didn't even know dogscould get vaginitis-good to know...
Just curious if you ended up taking your dog to the vet.  My dog seems to be having the same problem.
My dog has the same problem. I bought some spray from petsmart and it works sometimes. I have to spray febreeze on places where she sits. I'll just give her a bath in that area if it gets bad. I'd like to know if theres something the vet can give her to fix this?
My one and a half year old lab mix has the same problem.  Surely there is something to help her, I feel terrible booting her outside to clear the air.  Could it be some sort of yeast infection?  
I have a male dog that also has a nasty matallic  smelling discharge. That rules out vaginitis.I sure would like to find a good answer. This is just nasty. Help.
Our 3 month old male Dobe just recently giving off the same metallic, yuckie smelling discharge. I have no idea what it is, but it's terrible.Help?
I have a 2 year old female dachshund that also has a smelly discharge that is sort of brown in color, almost like dried blood.  Come to think of it the smell is similar to that of blood.  She has had this problem since I got her at 6 months, which was right after she had been spayed. This smelly discharge  usually only happens once a month on and off for several days.  The vet said it could be a yeast infection, but I've always wondered if it could be a result of having been spayed to soon or complications from.
Our female dachshund had the problem after spaying too.  I give her warm baths in vinegar and water.  It is very safe and not toxic.  SHe seems to welcome the vinegar and water warmy bath.  I am going to also buy the cream for dogs that Shawn Hannity recommends it helps their itching and is completely natural.  It is 14 dollars a tube on the internet.
My 15month old female yellow lab has the same problem, often. Someone told me that female labs can omit an odor when they get startled. I don't know if anyone else has heard the same thing. Help!
my dog has the same thing...we were also told she has an inverted vulva...and same thing. she stinks up a room (every now and then its tht bad). they gave me medicated wipes to wipe around her vag with..gross i know. but i use gloves..but it seems to help.
my 4yr old female staffy has the same problem, before and after neutering.  The way you described the smell is spot on and definately coming from the vaginal area and not her bottom. Also occurs every month/ month 1/2 in a cycle.   Im just wondering if you found the cause? she does alot of scooting but i treat her  with soothing oatmeal shampoo (or maleseb when its bad)  that i leave on for 10mins twice a week and that seems to help with the redness/itchyness.  Being an inside dog (allowed on the couch!) the smell is just horrid. Im interested in what you found out. Cheers much appreciated!
This is an old thread from 2012.  You would do better to start a new one with more details
My Shih Tzu has the same odor. I know it is coming from her vaginal area but I heard that certain breeds have anal glands that when full usually they give off that nasty odor. The vet said that when you take them to get groomed, if you do, they clean it out without a problem. After that is done you shouldn't have that disgusting odor. It has to be done often. I would still like suggestions.
did you ever find an answer to your dogs odor? my french bulldog started her heat cycle exactly at 6 months, right before she was do for surgery. we waited till finished & then had her spayed. her vet at the time mentioned(after being asked about a blood/metallic odor 6 days after the surgery) that she was very swollen &  lots of blood due to her cycle ending when he preformed surgery & that might be the odor I'm noticing. it's been almost one year later and I am still dealing with cleaning her "area" several times a day & washing blankets that she lays on. I switched vets & had blood work done & they say she is 100% healthy. the next step would be ultrasound or exploratory surgery. The vet said it would very expensive & we might not find anything or be able to "fix" the problem. these are both top vets in my area. i'm really tired of all this. no one seems to have any answers.
My 9 Month old female rott/plot hound mix has a smelly crotch..It has a smell like rotten asparagus....any answer's as to what it is and how to stop the nasty smell?