Dogs Community
First seizure and AFTER

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

First seizure and AFTER

Our 4 year old Aussie just had a first seizure this morning.  I have dealt with seizures before in another dog, but the aftermath of this is very different and hard.  The jerking and then the stiffness lasted about 5 minutes or so, but when he started to come out of it and relax, he jumped up and started barking fiercely at us like he didn't know us.  We got the other dogs out of the room in case of agitation or attack.  He was backed off and didn't try to attack us, just staring and barking.  This episode lasted for about 45 min. and then he slowly started acting more like himself.  He was still agitated for a couple more hours and is finally resting.  We are scared of this behaviour happening again.  Have since talked to the vets office and they suggest throwing a light blanket over him to stop all sensory and calm him if it should happen again.  So gut-wrenching to know there is nothing to be done at this point.  Would like to hear from anyone else that has had the aftermath type that we just encountered.  Thank you!
  • seizure (6 replies):
    Hello, I was told by 2 vets my peke had a mini-seizue e...[more]
  • Seizures (1 replies):
    I have a 5 year old female yellow lab. We adopted her a...[more]
  • White Labrador with seizures (5 replies):
    We have a white lab who is 5 yrs old now. He had one se...[more]
  • seizures (33 replies):
    Hi! My mothers dog has been having seizures once a mont...[more]
  • seizures (2 replies):
    I read the article "Read this before you post"...but I H...[more]

We have two big dogs (no seizures) and my neighbor has a huge 125 lb. Blonde Lab that has had seizures all his life.  He does not get agressive, but if unattended, he will be zoned out for an hour or more after a seizure and likely have another.  His vet has the seizures under control to the point that he has one maybe every six weeks.  If medicated right after he has one, he's fine within an hour.  The vet has him on Phenobarbital 2 pills (mg?) two times daily.  In the event of a seizure, he gets two more immediately.  The meds have not affected his personality.  He loves to swim in our pool, hang with our dogs, chase his ball and get all the treats he can manage.  I suggest getting your guy to the vet for evaluation and possible medication.  Good Luck.
It sounds to me like your dog is just very confused and probably the barking is to tell you so, that he doesnt have a clue what happened to him.
I hope this was a one off for him and there are no more. Best of luck ....d x
Hi. So sorry to read your dog has had a fit. It could be that this may be the only fit your dog has, as this is more often the case. My dog had her first grand mal fit aged 12 and since then (one year) she hasn't had another (touch wood).

About the post-fit recovery stage... I used to be a general nurse and can tell you that fits in dogs follow a pattern very similar to humans in that there is a stage after the grand mal that lasts around one hour when the patient appears concious, but actually is not (in their own mind). During this stage, whether human or dog they can exhibit very bizarre or agressive behavior; actually it's normal, although some patients are calm.

During that stage, probably the blanket thing would do no difference and may cause more distress. It would be best to simply accept what is happening and keep the dog from self-injury and danger - removing other dogs/kids is the best idea - plus keeping calm and using a reasurring voice.

After this stage it can take several weeks or even months for the patient to regain their 'old self' so still they need extra comforting and onservation; particularly for clumsiness.

I hope this advice helps.

My BC started having seizures about 3 months ago, the first one he did the same thing as your Aussie did. I turned off the TV, darkened the room, and put a cold rag on his head when I could get close to him. None of the vets seem to think much of his seizure, but I took him in for a check up two days later and had test run. He had a low thyroid and I put him on medications for that. He still had some seizures from sensory overload so I put him on the  Phenobarbital as well. He so far has not had a seizure while on it. At first I did not want him on that medication because he seemed like a different dog, but after three week on it, he acts like his old self.
I did not read all the post on here, but I will say that the dogs kind of go blind after they have a seizure, so when you come close all they see are shaddows...so they are scared of you. I did the same as you I got my other dogs out of the room and I too was scared to be around my sweet loving dog.
Britwoman has the right of it.  As humans, our first instinct is to rush in and offer comfort.  It backfires because the dog's brain really hasn't stabilized yet.  To make matters worse, the worried and scared vibes we present at the time only make the dog ever more worried and scared.  It's like, "I don't know what happened, but Mom and Dad are scared of something so I'm scared too!"  Give him time to recover in peace and quiet after making sure he can't physically harm himself.  It's also very common for dogs and humans to vomit, urinate and/or defecate during a seizure, so try not to be alarmed if that happens in the future.  

Make a note of when the seizure happened, what time of day and any other circumstances like music playing or even visitors in the home.  Seizures in older dogs tend to be one-time episodes and nothing to worry about.  In young dogs such as yours, it may mean the beginning of a lifetime of epilepsy.  Keeping meticulous records can help you and your vet find triggers that can be avoided.  Our vet had one patient who seized every time the doorbell rang.  Once it was disconnected, he had no more seizures.  Phenobarbitol is a very effective mediction (medication) for dogs with epilepsy, so try not to be too worried if your dog turns out to have it.  He can live a completely normal and happy life - even with the occasional seizure.