Dogs Community
Fish oil capsules for small dog?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Fish oil capsules for small dog?

My 10 year old, 20 pound pug has skin allergies that are seasonal in nature (directly related to pollen levels per my observation and vet's confirmation).  I read on the internet that fish oil capsules (OTC produced for humans) will help.  Can I give these to her?  If so, at what dose?  If not, can small dogs take Benadryl?  Again, if so, what dosage is appropriate?

Thanks!
The dose for benadryl is one mg. per pound.  You would have to get pediatric liquid benadryl for your dog and dose it a 20 mg.  If you find that this is too sedating use 10 mg. up to three times per day.  Fish oil is excellent for dog's skin.  Again you will have to get a human pediatric or liquid formula such as Carlson's.  1/2 teaspoon twice daily would be the dose.  You may not see any improvement for at least one month.
I buy my Omega 3 capsules at my vet's office...they are formulated for small dogs.
we inadvertandly applied fish oil capsule directly on dogs skin, help!
i have a three year old french bulldog/pug weighing in at 29 pounds. he has skin irritations that ovbiously make him itch constantly. i have recently heard about fish oil products that help dogs with their skin and fur coats. the product is a HALO VitaGlo Dream Coat. the dosage on the back says that he should take 10ml(2l evel tsp). i've been giving it to him for two days and he's not itching like before and he's softer and has a much shinier coat. should i be giving my dog this? i asked my vetinarian about this here subject but he keeps telling me i should be buying pills. should i use the fish oil and if so am i giving the right amount to my dog or not. please comment back and give me your responses. all comments are especially appreciated. thank you.
My pug has severe itching, especially chasing her tail. Cant deal with it. Has been to vet several times, which they give her a shot, and meds, then she is ok for awhile, too expensive, so we have taken her off of peanut-butter, which she got once a day, and hve started her on 1000mg of fish oil tablets a day. hopefully this will work.
My vet recommended omega fish oil capsules for our english bulldog, Chole.  She is almost three, not small..?60=70lb but has just started getting these lesions under her fur....she's been on it for three days so far.  Time will tell. She seems to have soome allergies so maybe this dry skin is a new sx,  She did go in the creek before they broke out but we bathed her after. We give her one human omega capsule a day. For her wt the doc said that was fine, "Give it a try"
It might not hurt to put your dog on a grain free dog food, such as Evo, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, etc.  Some dogs have problems with the grains in food.
My sister works at this place that does a lot of dog health products, and she was telling me that a lot of dogs have problems with allergies and then they have problems with their skin because of it  - it's just how their bodies react - so the no wheat, gluten or soy diets are probably a really good idea.
Also Omega 3 fish oil. She told me about this small fish oil pill for small dogs and puppies called Packenzie. It turned out to be really easy for my small dachshund to take it  ( no problems  - I just give it to him and he gobbles it down like a treat.) I've noticed his hyper skin issues are calming down and his fur looks good. hmmmm I think it was at a place called Petite Pet Pills.   Hope this helps!
Michelle