Dogs Community
Fluid Lump

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Fluid Lump

My 2 year old Staffy x Border Collie had a inflammation lump on his back, RIGHT between his shoulder blades. We had the lump removed and tested and found it was nothing serious. Stitches were in him for 11 days and removed, not a problem. That was on a Tuesday. On the Friday, three days later, out of nowhere, he developed a tennis ball sized fluid lump in the surgery area. We rushed him straight to the vet, and they extracted the fluid (4 syringes full) with a needle saying it was nothing serious and that it happens occasionally after surgeries and that it should all clear and go away within a few days. By Friday night, the lump was back and bigger than what it was earlier in the day when we got it removed, so we put ice packs on him, like the vet suggested, but that did nothing. On Sunday, we bought a needle/syringe, and my mum, being a nurse, extracted the fluid from him, as it was growing larger everyday. It's now Monday night and we did another extraction of the fluid 2 hours ago, and it's already come back. I have no idea what to do from here. I can take him back to the vets and let them extract it and hear "it will go away in a few days" or hopefully someone here has gone through the same thing and can tell me they have been through the same thing and hopefully give me some advice on the situation.
Is the fluid clear or white, or any other color?  Any blood present?  It sounds like he's trying to develop an infection and his own immune system can't quite fight it off.  You definitely need to call your vet.  He may need to test the fluid to determine exactly what is going on, and put your dog on a preventive course of antibiotics.  You're so lucky to have your Mum there help!
Thanks for your reply. I took him to vet today. It's clear with blood in it. The vet extracted it again today, then put pressure bandages around it to keep it down and stop the build up again. I can already see that it has come back though. She suggested leaving the bandages on for a week (if they last that long!). She thinks it will take a few weeks to go away, but that we should leave it and not extract anymore, as its causing him pain for "no reason" and that its not bothering him anyway